Guest viewing is limited

THR Cannot sleep in bed

I add: The exercise is way too much - they and squats are specifically strengthening exercises, so it's best not to consider even semi quats before a minimum of 12 weeks, at which point tendons and ligaments have likely done basic healing. Nobody needs tendonitis or bursitis!
@Trotter
 
FWIW, with my second knee replacement I pretty much ditched the PT, and used walking and chores (cat litter and laundry, after 12 weeks did light weeding and gardening on days I walked less, slowly increasing as tolerated).
It was fully functional but with some muscle wasting.
At about 9, 10 months out got back to the gym for serious weight training. It's going great!
 
I didn't do any exercises with my right. Being able to walk with good posture and no limp would be the first goal and that in itself is plenty of exercise to start with. Don't panic you'll be able to build back muscle after the healing progresses.
 
I am nearly 6 weeks post op. I cannot get to sleep at all in bed. I get a pain in my knee and shin on the operated leg. Thank goodness I have a recliner to help me sleep, even if it is for just a few hours at a time. Any tips?
Yep-took me forever to be able to sleep in my bed again. I tried propping the operated knee on a pillow; keeping the knee flat on the bed; you name it. I ended up back in the recliner.

It will come eventually for you. I think it took and good two months each knee-maybe more. Even now-two years later-I sometimes wake up with a knee feeling a little sore from the overnight. It goes away quickly tho.
 
I lifted my first heavy weight today. Not long after I could feel a clicking in my groin. I know this is common and called "snapping hip syndrome". I have no pain in my hip and my operated leg still feels fine. It's still a bit scary though in case it gets worse.
This got me thinking about when I was discharged from hospital, there is so much that the medical profession does not tell you or get you prepared for.
Thank goodness for this site, you have been a great comfort for me.
 
Thanks for joining us Trotter! We're happy you're here.

We'd like to encourage members to take their experience here to the next level. We appreciate and value your support as part of this community. Joining the Insiders Club allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer. If you're interested, we'd love to have you join us!

@Trotter
 
Has anyone had "snapping hip syndrome"
I think I may have it. I can feel it in my groin when I walk. Not painful just an ache.
I was wondering how long this could last for?
I see my PT tomorrow.
 
Hi, I'm a bit late to trouble sleeping in bed discussion so perhaps you've worked out a solution.

I had THR in April, 2024 and the second in August, 2024, both with the direct anterior approach. I have a friend whose surgery (also direct anterior approach) was in October, 2024. We just had a message exchange about sleeping. Neither of us can sleep well in a bed yet. I think my friend is waking to roll over every hour which I would find unacceptable. I haven't been able to sleep in a bed since well before my hips were replaced. I have sleep apnea so sleeping on my back is not recommended. I still have bothersome swelling which coupled with numbness makes it feel like I'm sleeping on a steak or a rock (depending on the night). I sleep leaning against the back of our sofa with a 11" x 11" throw pillow under my lower leg. At first I could only do this while starting on my left side and repositioning myself to lean back on the sofa back until the discomfort in my thigh/hip quieted down. Now I can do either side but am still not able to bear all my weight on either side.

I hope you have solved the sleeping issue or that my experience helps.

BTW, I shopped around for a PT who listened to my pain issues. He tossed the exercises the hospital PT gave me and replaced them with some I could do. He was also helpful in helping me restore my old gait and posture--I had become bowlegged and walked on the inside of my feet. Until it got cold here in MN in Nov. I was walking 3/4 mile around the neighborhood. Now I try using the treadmill but our basement is still cold enough most days to make me stiff and sore. Then I walk the hallway and do stairs. I think it's doing some good as I have been able to walk up to 4.5 miles in one day when we went to NC to visit family.
 
Hi Trotter,
Wondering what you heard from your PT on the snapping? IT Band...possibly? If so, trying some gentle stretches or massage may help. Guessing it will ease over time.
I hope you have a good week!
@Trotter
 
Hi Layla, she said it might be that and that it can happen as muscles move back into place.
She stopped the exercise where I have to stand up and sit down with my arms crossed and my hands on my shoulders. I do a gentle half squat.
Told me to keep walking outside as I have been and to start walking indoors without crutches. When I feel confident enough try short distance outside without crutches.
Many thanks for your concern.
@Layla
 
It's a special day. Treat yourself...you're doing well!
Happy TWO Month Anniversary! :happydance:
A great day to you, Trotter!
@Trotter
 
I managed 3 hours in bed tonight. When I go onto my operated side I soon get very uncomfortable. At least lying on my back was relatively pain free. I know (hope) being uncomfortable (trying to avoid the word painful) will go away but I honestly thought by now, week 10, it would not be a problem.
 
That's not unusual.
Personally, I don't think I even tried side sleeping before 8-10 weeks post op and only did it for short stints. Wasn't comfortable and it kind of freaked me out a bit. Silly...I know, just being honest. It will happen, give it time.
My surgeon used posterior approach and that may have had something to do with it. :shrug: Try a pillow between your knees, it will help align your hips and reduce strain. Good Luck!
@Trotter
 
Took me awhile to side sleep. I was lucky & adjusted to back sleeping even though I'm a side sleeper most of the time. You can't rush any of this, we all try to get to finish line sooner but it's just not in the cards for some of us.
I learned to enjoy my small victories.
All my best.
 
I know I need to go for a walk on a daily basis to help my recovery. Some days though I just cannot be bothered. No reason, the weather's fine and I am in no pain. Then at the end of the day I get really disappointed that I have not been for a walk. Does anyone else feel like this?
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom