Guest viewing is limited

THR Cannot sleep in bed

Hi @Deni444 lovely to hear from you. I hope you enjoyed your well deserved holiday. I'm sure it gave you a timely boost.
I'm OK, moving forward and learning to cope with my limitations. I can walk into the village to visit the shops. It sounds rather grand but they are quite nearby, however it is a positive for me.
I seem to cope better living with the discomfort rather than taking copious painkillers.
I am not seeing a physio, just following their instructions to keep moving as often as possible.
How are you doing?
A holiday is another step forward towards "normality" on this unpredictable ride. Keep going you are doing well, and thank you for your message. It means a lot.
 
@Deni444 I forgot to add that sleeping at night is a problem. I can usually manage about 4 to 5 hours in bed at night before hip tells me it's time to get up. We have just bought a new bed to try and improve this. Also a big positive, I am in the process of decorating. It is taking an absolute age to do, but I am doing it.
These messages sound "woe is me", but I am more fortunate that a lot of people. I am coming to terms with what I can do and how long it now takes. Onwards and upwards.
 
Hi Trotter,
It is admirable that you're learning to cope with your limitations as you continue to engage in the normal activities of life, and still count your blessings! I'm sorry you have to deal with ongoing discomfort, interrupted sleep and an ailing right hip also. Hopefully the new bed helps. :fingersx:

You may find a body pillow useful. The extra long type of pillow that you can place between your legs for comfort and to keep your hip from rotating. I've used one ever since my THR and can't sleep without it now. If there is no swelling involved, a heating pad may bring you some comfort also. When you're unable to sleep, I am wondering if getting up and walking around for a few minutes and doing some gentle stretching will relieve any stiffness or discomfort enough so you're able to fall back asleep. It's worth a try, if you haven't done so yet.
Wishing you comfort, Trotter, and some uninterrupted sleep. Enjoy the decorating project!
@Trotter
 
Onward and upwards :loveshwr: That's my favourite 'hip' motto @Trotter. It's wonderful to hear you've found the stamina and motivation to push on through and complete tasks. There's nothing like the sense of achievement of successfully completing something that was a challenge.

I regularly wake up after a few hours of sleep but fortunately can usually get back off to sleep. Things that help me are to do a few gentle leg stretches. Stretch, hold a second or two and then try to completely relax my legs. I then try my hardest to not allow myself to start thinking. Once thought starts to wake up it is really difficult to get back to sleep. Another little trick, is to pull the quilt off my legs. Essentially this causes my legs to get cold. When I then pull the quilt back over them the cosy warmth helps me drift back off to sleep. Before surgery when pain was more significant, I would sometimes pop the TENs machine on and that helped me to fall off to sleep.

So great to hear your story!
 
@Deni444 I forgot to add that sleeping at night is a problem. I can usually manage about 4 to 5 hours in bed at night before hip tells me it's time to get up. We have just bought a new bed to try and improve this. Also a big positive, I am in the process of decorating. It is taking an absolute age to do, but I am doing it.
These messages sound "woe is me", but I am more fortunate that a lot of people. I am coming to terms with what I can do and how long it now takes. Onwards and upwards.
I also still have interrupted sleep. Lying on my good side has helped somewhat as it reduces morning pain. I also have quite a firm mattress which helps with the back pain. But I seldom sleep all the way through the night. Fortunately I'm semi retired so there's no pressure for me to get up early, so I have adapted to having two sleeps each night, often with a two hour gap in between. It's preferable to getting up super early and being tired all day.
 
Due to the heterotopic ossification I cannot lift my leg very far off the ground. I forgot about this and tried to step over an item in the garden. This resulted in a heavy fall, landing on my new hip. I don't think I have damaged my hip, but when lying down if I try to move my leg sidewards the pain is really bad in my groin. Think my dream of being an Olympic hurdler are over.
 
Oh no @Trotter ! You might want to get a quick X-ray to be sure everything is ok. Keep us posted. In the meantime be sure to ice the area and if you have some OTC pain med that might help as well.
 
Sorry this happened to you. Agree that you should get this checked out to be on the safe side -- and give yourself some peace of mind.
 
Uh-oh, so sorry, Trotter. That had to be frightening...and now the pain. I hope you're able to get it checked and find some relief through ice and rest also. Feel better soon. :fingersx:
@Trotter
 
Oh no, that sounds scary, as the others have said please get it checked asap, ask your GP for an xray, go to minor injuries, or ring your team.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom