Guest viewing is limited

THR Cannot sleep in bed

Don't be hard on yourself. If you can manage to walk at least 3-4 days a week I think that is fine. I'm an avid walker so a day w/o a walk for me is like a day w/o food! LOL! Plus you can set small goals for yourself. Maybe just go out for 10 minutes then go out later in day for another 10??? You don't have to walk an hour for it to be beneficial.
You know just doing everyday things like walking around the house & going to the store is "walking." You don't necessarily need to pound the pavement. To enjoy walking more maybe enlist a buddy? My partner enjoys walking so he usually will join me. It is more pleasant when you have someone (or a dog) with you.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I wouldn't stress about not making it out to walk everyday. You are still healing. Some days the energy or motivation just isn't there. It happens to all of us. Even shorter walks count if you get out and you're feeling like you're not into it. Enjoy the rest of the week! :walking:
@Trotter
 
You're welcome, sir! :)
I hope you have a lovely day and weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Trotter
 
Well, it's week 13 since op. Still cannot manage a full night in bed. When I lie down my hip aches and my knee aches. I have tried pillows etc. I am finding it really frustrating. I have a full recliner chair which I can sleep in easily. Anyone else struggling to lie in bed so long after their operation?
 
Yes but mine is a knee. With my hips I had to ditch that wedge pillow and use one of my own. Only then could I sleep.

Good luck. Might I suggest a good book ?
 
I am 8 weeks out from surgery & still sleeping in a recliner, too. Some nights, I can sleep for a portion of the night on my futon. However, most nights I end up right back in the recliner. At this point, I’m just accepting it. Unfortunately, I have back issues & that is what bothers me while sleeping, not so much my hip. If you can get a relatively good night’s sleep in the recliner, I wouldn’t stress about it. At least you are getting rest. Hopefully, soon, you can work your way back to sleeping in your bed.
 
Well I am at the completely fed up stage. 14 weeks post op, fed up aching everytime I stand up, fed up aching everytime I sit down, fed up aching everytime I start to walk, fed up that most jobs in the garden I cannot yet do. I know it takes time to recover but this is really starting to get at me. Has anyone else been through this stage and if so how long did it last?
 
Good AM Trotter,
Yes, it takes time & patience & I know you've already heard all that. Have you been rechecked at OS & voiced your concerns???
It took me a full year to be able to garden again. Not saying that it will take you that long but I just couldn't get down on my hands & knees & stay down to get stuff planted for long.
 
@myglasshalffull Thanks for the reply. I see my surgeon in a few weeks. My O/T says I am doing well. Things will happen naturally, do not force yourself . She said everyone heals at a different pace, and I will be doing things that others cannot.
I suppose we all get frustrated.
How are you?
 
Take care Trotter and it does take a full year. This is major surgery. It's only just gone 3 months for you. You will get there.

:cheers:
 
Well I am at the completely fed up stage. 14 weeks post op, fed up aching everytime I stand up, fed up aching everytime I sit down, fed up aching everytime I start to walk, fed up that most jobs in the garden I cannot yet do. I know it takes time to recover but this is really starting to get at me. Has anyone else been through this stage and if so how long did it last?
When my first (right) hip was replaced I would look out of the window at the long grass in my garden and get so frustrated that I couldn't go out and mow it! Since then I've become more attached to gardening for nature, so neat lawns are a thing of the past. But my past self can empathise with how you feel. What did help me after 6 weeks (when you're allowed to bend) was buying a garden kneeler with handles so I could lower myself up and down. You may find this helps a bit when you return to gardening?
 
Good AM Trotter,
I'm doing very well but I had my surgery 3 years ago! But sure do remember those early days & all the questions & concerns I had. Every little zap & zing figured I had messed something up. It does get better.
I know I reached many milestones during my first year & I think from 6 months on I was doing pretty good but still some stuff I couldn't do or maybe just didn't want to try to do!
I know I learned to listen to my body & spent a day here or there on a heating pad or ice pack for a few hours & just rested. I'm an early AM personality & I would have a mental list of what I wanted to get done on certain days. But if Miss Hip didn't cooperate & I didn't complete my list I would pack it in & get ice pack out & literally "chill" until next Day I realized the few hours of icing & resting did me a world of good.
 
I feel for you concerning the garden. I'm usually excited with tomatoes, peppers and all sorts growing. Even with my difficulties, I have two greenhouses. I've adapted them for vertical growing and auto watering. I use a kneeler and have chairs in strategic places. It's been difficult to watch them sat empty and not be sowing seeds. I love watching it all go from empty to a forest of tomatoes and peppers in the summer. As hard as it was I was strict on myself and fought the temptation to try and plant just a few things. Too much pressure and frustration in not being able to do it all. I'm thinking about my grape vine and suspect my hubby hasn't watered it. I'm not going to fret about it. Worse case scenario, it turns to compost and I grow another.

It's so hard when we love our gardens but what helps me is knowing this new hip is going to make next year's growing fantastic. I'm excited. If you can't hold back. Maybe consider looking at some ergonomic tools, everything can be purchased with a long handle. I have a few items with really long handles and can avoid bending completely. I've even created my own with duck tape and broom handle. It's amazing what you can do if you are prepared to be creative. Have a search on YT for disabled gardening videos. You may find a few tips and tricks.
 
Does anyone else struggle to get their operated leg to function properly after getting up in the morning or after a few hours of sitting?
I find I hobble for quite some time.
I am 15 weeks post op
 
Well. I'm not your person because I'm only 10 days but ... I've read that it's perfectly normal. I've read that you should actually expect it to be the case. They say, not to sit for a few hours without getting up and moving around. At the very least, once per hour. That would be standard guidance when your 2 years post op. I think at 15 weeks post op, what you're describing is absolutely normal. Hopefully others with personal experience will chime in and help.

How you doing generally apart from the stiffness at first from getting up?
 
Thank you for the reply. Apart from that seem to be OK. Walking 1 to 2 miles most days, unaided around the house. I do though take a walking pole with me outside more for comfort I think.
How are managing ?
 
Good AM Trotter,
Sounds like you have improved since last post. Yes, your surgical leg sometimes needs one, two step when you first stand up after sitting or laying in bed. I get up, make sure the "sea legs" are operational & then one foot in front of the other!
Have a wonderful Sunday. Oh & keep using your pole outside! It's good to have something reliable to hang onto "just in case."
 
@Trotter…I am just about 3 months post-op, so right behind you. I still struggle with those first few steps after sitting for a while. Sometimes, it’s not as bad as others. I, too, will stand for a couple seconds before I take a step. I’m hoping this is something that will improve more as we move along in our healing journey & our muscles get stronger.
 
I am almost 10 weeks post op, and have to get myself upon standing to take those first few steps. I still use the cane at night when I am feeling tired.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom