THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, what a sweetie! The cat in my avatar was about 17 when I took that photo. I miss him a lot but the kittens have so much energy and bounce they make me happy just watching them.
 
I hope the drive home didn't wear you out too much! I hope that you are comfortable and have settled into your 'Lady Lair' and are lovely and warm in this cold weather!

Thinking of you...:console2:
 
I hope you are doing OK @dandy_candi - I hope the reason that you are MIA is that you are getting plently of rest and support...
 
Just caught up on your thread. Hoping you have worked out the kinks with your sleeping and pain management as you transition to home.
 
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates, internet is crappy at home but I got a phone sorted after my 'dropping mine in the toilet' debacle. My sister had a spare one- screen is cracked but it works so it's better than mine! So today is the end of Day 7!!!!
I have had a few up and down days since being home but mostly good. Sunday mostly slept and was a bit stressed about my first night without nurses on call but hubby calmed me down and I slept okay. Up a few times. Much better Monday- mum came to visit while hubby worked a few hours. Felt better and hubby remarked I seemed more like myself. Slept through the next night without needing pain pills. Then yesterday started to work out the meds balance and then today- day 7- worked out the meds and activity balance and moved to one stick!!! The PT said that to me when she was discharging me that I'll be on one stick next week and I scoffed at her! I think her having said it gave me the confidence! Watched a movie then hung out with hubby on his lunch break then my little sister came over this afternoon and we watched 'Julie and Julia' and stayed for dinner and we watched two more movies while I did some of my quilt.
Had to say I had some pain in my heels from like bed sores. When I was in the hospital my legs ached so I would just move my foot up and down which was one of my PT exercises, but it just became a habit abc I was doing it without realising so I was rubbing my heel raw and awoke with shooting pain up near my butt and in my heel and top of my toe. Nurse said it wasn't dislocation so must have just irritated a nerve. Once I got home I got it in the other foot one night and decided to look up what to do and saw elevating or putting a pillow under the area could help. So I did that and found relief. Plus I'm not doing the foot pump thing snymore. Anyway, thank you for the love. Sleep now, talk soon


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to see you are settling in at home. I had that pain in my heel (only on one side) too. Thankfully it only lasted one night. I found the first week post-op to be the most difficult and up hill from there (although week two can be a little rough as well). Staying on the pain meds like clockwork and icing were the secret for me in staying comfortable. It's really nice that you have the support and company of your sister and husband, as it helps keep the blues at bay. I will be looking forward to your updates. Sending you big hugs my friend! :friends:
 
Wow! One stick. Even I couln't do that, and I would call my recovery a success. I used 2 crutches for about 4 weeks to relearn to walk symmetrically and without a limp. How is your other leg? Did you say your other hip might need replacing some time in the future? Or not.
 
@dandy_candi : so nice hearing from you. I had heel pain in my operated leg as well. It was like a burning sensation beneath my heel. I figured it was nerve pain from having my foot in the same position for an extended time. Regardless, it did get better.

Take care and healing thoughts are being sent your way!
 
Wow! One stick. Even I couln't do that, and I would call my recovery a success. I used 2 crutches for about 4 weeks to relearn to walk symmetrically and without a limp. How is your other leg? Did you say your other hip might need replacing some time in the future? Or not.

I didn't have a limp prior to surgery so I have not had to deal with correcting this. I have to continually remind myself to put full weight on my hip as I feel like I shouldn't as I just had an operation on it!

I do feel like I have a bit of a LLD - I am scheduled to have LTHR on the 13th of July- six weeks from the original op.

Looking at my X-rays it does look out of balance but I wonder of that was the way I was laying as they just came and whisked me down to X-ray and I don't think I had a full dose of pain meds so I may have been laying awkwardly. But I can also see how much different the implant is to my hip joint so the correction of the gap may have thrown my pelvis out.

I do feel little clicks every now and then. I was quite sore last night when going to bed- I has taken my pills but they hadn't kicked in. I got into bed and was wriggling into place and I felt a few little pops and it wasn't as sore.
I wonder if that was just from moving from standing to laying though as I often feel relief in the muscles when laying fully flat.

I will mention it to my physio.

So I have the nurse coming tomorrow (day 10) to remove stitches, and then physio on Saturday. My physio had told me it would definitely be him but it's someone else he works with. Hopefully he will be able to come to my next visit. I have been seeing him for 5 years and he knows the rest of my joints so it's just easier than explaining my whole medical history. Hopefully he has read my file! Not too nervous about getting staples out. I'm never too fussed about blood tests and those sorts of things.

Anyway, better have some breakfast, will try and catch up on everyone's posts later in the day!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So good to hear from you @dandy_candi! Hopefully your family is taking good care of you. The first week home is especially difficult, but I found things improving around 10 days.
I still have to remind myself to put full weight on my recent replacement. I also had a LLD after hip #1. If I concentrate I don't limp at all, but I do when not consciously thinking about it. If I could do one thing different, I would have reminded my OS on the day of surgery that I had the LLD because I'm not 100% sure that I don't yet.
 
So glad to hear your recovery is going so well. I hope you continue to improve every day. Yep we're past the one week mark.
 
So glad to hear you're doing well!

Have family visiting from Florida, so my time isn't my own right now :rolleyes: Hope Everyone is doing fine.... I'll try to catch up soon :unsure:!!
 
Just saw your scar - that is going to heal up beautifully! Soon you will have a matching one!

How are you feeling about your next surgery?
 
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!
I am feeling good about the next surgery @JMACCA - I am a little wary of how I will go using my right, newly operated hip as my "good hip" but I am having hip pain in my left so I know it's definitely time to do the left too. Yeah my scar looks pretty good and tidy, happy with it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wait a minute....I should be striving for "pretty good and tidy". I Was going for rugged and knarley!

I am totally jealous that you are going to get to have your 2nd hip corrected so soon! My left hip, effectionaly known as Mr. Wrong, has quickly become my "bad hip". It is the one holding me back. Wish I could address the problem with Mr. Wrong quicker.

Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks @gullimac - all the nurses etc keep telling me it's because of my age that I'm doing so well! Surely all those silly backwards doctors should listen to all of these people telling me how good I'm doing and advocate for young people to have hip replacements!
Hope your scar continues to heal and have some character while mine is boring and straight x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
While I'm glad I had to wait until 12 weeks to get my second one done, that was with the luxury of six months full sick pay. At six weeks I did feel I could have coped with #2 and you seem to be doing so well in your recovery I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom