THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, with the progress you are making I know hip two will be great for you! Hope you have a great weekend!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Thanks for all the well wishes. I had my physio come out today and he cut down the exercises the hospital physio gave me and echoed the BS mantras of walking- asked me to up my walking to 1 hour in total a day and just a few exercises.

I did have a scare and thought I had dislocated my hip just before the physio arrived. I was stupidly trying to put a bit of wood into the fire to see if I could as hubby is going out tonight. And I felt it click and crunch and freaked out and sort of limped to the dining table a few steps away. I sat down and called my hubby but realised I must not have dislocated as it didn't hurt and I got up and I could still walk. But it was definitely enough to scare me to stop doing silly things like that!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Easy does it @dandy_candi ! You are only days out of major surgery. Are you on any restrictions? Try the golfer's reach if you need to bend down.
[Bonesmart.org] Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision


That hip is still settling. Just give it time.
 
Wowee! an hour of walking - that would be amazing! How are you going with it all? How is the pain? I hope that you are keeping lovely and warm...
 
That Golfers Reach has been my ticket to keeping me sane! I try to figure out any way I can to get into a safe position to use it!

Glad you're progressing so well! It's 4 weeks today for me, still doing great, altho I did overdo it with family here for a week. Glad that's over... But they did leave our granddaughter here for two months. We shall see how much backtalk and eyerolling Hubby can endure lol:heehee:
 
Agree @Jillie422, the golfer's reach works very well with bad hips.

Glad to hear you're doing so well @dandy_candi, by the time your next THR comes around you will be a seasoned young pro at this :wink:. It must be frustrating to hold back when you're feeling good again. I'm antsy by nature, always bopping around -even with arthritic hips and know this will be a major problem for me :snork:
 
Last edited:
I can do the golfers reach this time! My first hip I could not, I like this much better than rump nine around looking for my grabber.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
I can do the golfers reach this time! My first hip I could not, I like this much better than rump nine around looking for my grabber.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.

Hmmm should be "running around" !


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Thanks for all the tips! I have had anterior THR and don't have many restrictions but have one that is I can't put my foot out behind me so the golfers reach is out of bounds for me for now! I used to use it pre-THR and it was so good! As for reaching to the ground, I can use my left hip for another 4 weeks before my other hip is done so I will use it until then and hopefully the right will be more flexible but I have my grabber and my husband

As for the 1 hour of walking, I have broken it down into increments so have worked to 5 minutes every hour and I don't think I have done an hour yet as my phone is broken (well the replacement broke) and I need some other way to set reminders! But I feel better from the walking more often and I do a figure 8 of my kitchen and living room so it's good flowing walking. Feeling it's a good pace for me at the moment. See how I go at my next appointment in a few days.

I had the nurse come out again for the second visit. Changed my dressing and he was happy with how it's healing- a few little spots not 100% healed so dressing on for another week or so and then said once healed to moisturise the area. He was a little vague then but said that scars tend to have a memory so keeping the area supple is good. Don't quite know what he meant? Anyone have an idea?
 
Oh no! You are not having luck with technology are you! Have you had the opportunity to do any craft - or are you too tuckered out? I hope all is well and you have very little pain...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am not having luck with technology at all!! It is nice to have downtime and nt be answering text messages all day!!

I have been quilting @JMACCA - I will try and take a photo and post my quilt. Pretty much just watching movies and quilting!
I have found a job I think I want to apply for but it is in the city which is an hour train ride away and I am just unsure if I can do that. I was enjoying working so close to home (15 minutes away) and I don't know if I would be able to maintain the travel. It is 4 days a week so I would have a day off during the week to rest but I'm not sure if that will be enough. But it's such a great organisation -a youth disability advocacy organisation that it would be an amazing job. I just don't know. Applications close in a few days. I guess I could apply and have the option.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 191
once healed to moisturise the area. He was a little vague then but said that scars tend to have a memory so keeping the area supple is good. Don't quite know what he meant?
I would not put anything on your scar. It will heal to a very fine line. Let nature do it's thing!
 
It is nice to have downtime and nt be answering text messages all day!!

Ah there is always an upside of not having technology - I hope you are enjoying the quiet and warmth of your house - it sounds like bliss!

I have found a job I think I want to apply for but it is in the city which is an hour train ride away and I am just unsure if I can do that

It sounds great! Chuck your hat in the ring! I travel an hour and 15 minutes one way and until the last 6 months it has been fine - especially if you are a crafter - put on some of your favourite music or an audio book and stitch away! it is amazing what you get done when you have 2 hours of crafting. I hear you though - it is nice to be near home. Will it be vline for you or metro? vline have the nice big comfy seats!
 
@dandy_candi : I don't know about you or others, but my surgery and recovery has made me even more introspective than usual, which was already at a high level. Rene Descartes coined, "I think, therefore I am." My variation would be "I am. Therefore I constantly think (and overthink)." Ha Ha

I believe you should apply for the job, and then if things reach the stage where you need to take a closer look at the transportation logistics, do it then. But if you don't apply at all you may always wonder about the opportunity. Who needs that?

I also feel given even just the limited information I know about the position that you could have an advantage, because you know first hand on some basic level what a physical challenge is like.

I think it is interesting how once removed from our regular schedule (even briefly) we begin to evaluate all sorts of things in life. Recovery has definitely been a mix of physical, emotional and spiritual delving for me.
I don't know how it would ever work, but I'd love to just be a writer. Or maybe go back to school to get a Master's. May not ever happen, but fun to think of possibilities.

We hippies are all butterflies to some degree- transforming into something even more beautiful and stronger than before. Stretch those wings and catch a breeze ... who knows where the journey will take us?
 
Yes I have commuted before @JMACCA but that was driving, I haven't commuted by train in years so I would enjoy the craft and book time. I need "me" time being an introvert so that could be my me time and then I could come home and spend time with hubby.
I think I am more wary because of the rheumatoid and I know how exhausted I can get but I guess for years I have had the hip pain impacting on that too so I could at least give it a try and if after the 3 month trial I could say it didn't suit.
I am pretty sore today. I wonder if it's because I have weaned off the pain killers and I have pain in my other joints- I am due to start my RA medication back again tomorrow so hopefully that helps. In for a few naps I think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom