THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
The view from my room on a dreary winters day and a hospital room selfie!!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 221
  • [Bonesmart.org] Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 224
Finally had a BM! Hahaha the things we get excited about! I was starting to get a sore abdomen so was getting worried. Pretty sure the prune juice did it! 4 and a half days of laxative packets and tablets and all i had to take was a bottle of prune juice! glad i have some At home! Now I have to find the article of how often to have it to drink/eat them to maintain. I searched for laxatives and found the normal laxatives article- anyone can direct me there would be good.
I think there are fireworks outside but I just sat down so don't feel like getting up to open my curtain.
I am watching Ice Age 4 and enjoying the quiet before I get home and my husband bombards me with attention. He's missed me, as I have him, but I am a solitary person so am fine on my own and he likes to cuddle. He knows I won't be able to cuddle for a while so hopefully he will be at my beck and call until he goes back to work. I am used to this hospital service with 3 meals and morning and afternoon tea delivered right to me! Haha
 
I think it's as much being at home in familiar surroundings as the prune juice that does it!
 
I am not home yet @Zelda, tomorrow morning (about 12 hours from now). I have been walking a bit more so might have helped.
 
You're sounding great @dandy_candi!
Have you considered taking magnesium as a laxative? I took 409 Mg's in the morning and one at night and boy oh boy did it ever work (had to stop taking it after day two because it worked too well)! There's a great article somewhere here on bonesmart explaining how good magnesium is for you. Maybe you can ask your OS about it? Just a thought.
Oooh a cuddler...yikes! :yikes: I don't even like hubbys toe to touch me when I'm trying to sleep (it's taken years for him to "get it")! :heehee:
 
Start of day 4- 5:40am
Yes I do know the laxative properties of Magnesium @Cynthia777 and I have some at home so may try that, plus I bought some stool softener tablets- should have brought them with me So nurses could tell me how often to take.
Of course a good night is sure to be followed with a bad one. Couldn't get to sleep tonight - thought it was the way I was laying but the pain got ahead of me. Woken up many times during the night and often an hour before they can give me any sort of significant pain relief. So I am on ice and panadol Osteo. Hopefully going home today so want to get the pain under control for the 1 hour, 15 min car ride.
 
With my second THR I had the same issue with the pain meds being short about an hour, so the nurses cheated and would give it to me 20 minutes early (every 3 hours and 40 minutes). Once I returned home I was able to control the pain by sticking to every 4 hours and icing continuously during the day. Hopefully they get the pain under control before you head out, as that's quite the drive.
 
@dandy_candi --WELL DONE!!! I was so excited to read about how smoothly your first day went! I hope by now you've been discharged home and getting a lot of sleep. Just follow the BoneSmart routine to the letter--medication on schedule without fail, elevate, ice...eat only nutrient-dense foods, sleep every moment you can or want to, drink a lot of water, and get up to move around every hour or two, if you can manage it.

Sounds like you have wonderful support, which is, I believe, the best elixir of all. Keep us in the loop--let us know how you're doing!!!

Alison
 
I'm so glad you are well enough to go home. You look great in your picture. Glad you were able to poop. Ha ha I pooped twice today! Must be some kind of record huh! Hope you are all home, comfy, and settled in by now.
 
@dandy_candi - Wishing a beautiful, courageous, strong young lady rest and comfort in the days ahead! Do you feel the love? :loveshwr:

I know it was great to see your dog again. I missed mine too and they are great "medicine!" Can't get in the floor and play with them obviously, but sure gives me something to look forward to doing. I thought they would be terrified of the walker and stay clear as they are quite skittish, but they have gotten used to it quickly. Now I find myself saying, "Move - out of Momma's way - beep beep - come on now, guys!" :)
 
I got two kittens last December and they've never really known me without sticks. I'm pretty sure they think of them as my extra legs because when they want fed or attention they'll snuggle into the sticks and purr just the same as they do my actual legs!
 
@Zelda- I love that image of your adoring felines! I have two cats as well (all of my fur-babies are rescues), and my older cat is in his upper teens- somewhere around 16-17 years old. His favorite place to rest is wherever he pleases, which oftentimes appears to be smack in the middle of the floor. He seems completely unfazed by the presence and noisy clamor of my walker. He looks up as if to say, "I bet with a little effort you can get around me, 'cause I'm not planning on moving." Ha Ha

I guess at his age he has earned the right. And at least I don't have to be concerned with him making sudden, erratic, unpredictable moves.

He's a real sweetheart, truly he is. But like a cat, I can just hear him saying something like:

"When you think about it, should BOTH of us have to move? That doesn't seem efficient. You're already up, so..."
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom