Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Hi @71Beetle I was given the all clear to drive after 6 weeks but waited until 8 weeks to actually get behind the wheel. I was concerned that the opioids would slow my reactions and reduce my attentiveness, as they certainly had as a passenger.
Short journeys - 2 miles to the town, are fine, but 1 hour plus to our little hideaway on the coast was taxing. Make sure you get the seat position right as your knee will let you know pretty quickly and probably at the worst possible time if you get it wrong. My car is a manual drive and I wish I had an automatic as my left ankle tendons are painful now from over-stretching to fully depress the clutch because I'd set the seat to give the operated knee an "easy ride". Now icing both legs!

I've been wearing a lovely pair of low rise pink Converse since surgery. The soles are really thick and comfortable. The only downside is that, unlike running shoes, they don't provide a lot of ankle support.
 
Hi @71 Beetle and everyone here - I have enjoyed catching up on the last few pages with what is going on in your world. Boy - am I impressed with the Transportation you can have when recovering! It may have strict operation rules, but people here would give anything for such a service. My poor old Mum who has real trouble walking and a host of other medical stuff going on, has to get taxis to go to appointments etc. Ooops please don't think I am hard hearted, but she lives a way away and getting an impaired 85 year old into a high 4 x 4 or slinked into a low slung sports car, is not for the faint hearted!

On the subject of driving I found each car as difficult as the other to get into (LTKR - so getting into drivers side with operated leg) - the sports job was marginally better as I am not tall and have to clamber into the RR. The RR was easier to slide out of. Thankfully both are Automatic - so that part was easy. I was off meds before my 6 week check, so was given the go ahead to start driving then. I did for 1 whole week! I then had my 'little bit of trouble' and although not taking meds, had to be a passenger for a few more weeks before I could get back in the driver's seat - Boo.

I did hopelessly badly in your Canadian quiz - although I did know some of the terms and some were quite Brit so I got those fine. I looked up poutine ........... really?
When I was growing up we lived next door to a lovely family. They were real Cockney Londoners, as I would put it, real 'Gor Blimey' types. The oldest daughter had married a Canadian and the whole family, Mum, Dad and Sister moved to Canada. They had a son and then sadly the Canadian husband died. The whole family decided to return to UK. Their language was absolutely hilarious - they really wanted to keep using Canadian words (which made them sound very exotic here in the late 1950s/60s) but they were laced with a whole lot of Cockney rhyming slang. A heady mix. So you would get phrases like 'Come in for a cup of Rosie Lee and a cookie' or 'I'll just put on my Titfer and go down to the Drugstore'.

Loved the Converse @Pumpkln - my daughter bought a new pair yesterday in navy. She had a smashing pair that were stars and stripes, that saw her all through both degrees at Uni and beyond, but they died last year. She announced it on FB and lots of friends sent messages of sympathy.
I must be more stupid than I thought, I had never thought of putting an orthotic insole in to make tennis shoes more comfy.

I wont join your retirement debate as you'll hate me. Hubby retired on full company pension at 49. Since then he has only done bits of consultancy 'if it is fun'. Plus he never takes on work if it is during the sailing season ...... Funny that!

Must go - try not to work too hard Lisa

XXX
 
Hi @Pumpkln, @dogwheels and @tiredwife and :welome: @kneeidea63!

So my "ride" was here right at 6:00 am. A nice hybrid car that was much easier on my knees than the short bus I rode home in on Friday. The City of Ottawa has outsourced most of the Para Transpo rides to one of the local taxi companies (well the one that won the tender anyway). So really, it was a cab with the meter and everything and if I was paying the taxi fare, it would have cost me $65.00 at 6:00 am when there is no traffic! It would have cost close to $100 during rush hour. I paid $8.60 which is double what I would pay if I was not rural. You can't beat that price. Maybe I will take it until December which is the date I have been authorized, just to save money! I would never do that of course, there are people that will need it more than I will by then for sure.

I was not able to book my trip to physio tomorrow or my trip home as it was all booked up by the time the lines had stopped being busy. So I will take a cab to the hospital and my son will pick me up after physio on his way home from school. After tomorrow I only have two more physio appointments at the hospital. After that then they will see how I do on my own and if I am still not improving then I will have to go back for individual sessions. I do my exercises almost faithfully so it is disappointing that I am not getting the results on the second knee that I did on the first. I will keep at it though and I am confident it will come.

My knees and legs were very sore today at work. I think it was too much standing and walking around preparing for dinner last night. I have a number of different sitting positions at work so I am either elevated or sitting at a 90 degree angle or sitting with my leg out but not elevated. I try to ice when I can but it is so inconvenient. I get up as much as I can too but I need to focus more on it. I did not win the lottery on the weekend so I will need to find a way to make it work (at least until next weekend when I DO win the lottery). :)

@dogwheels - we are fortunate to have the Para Transpo for sure especially for the cost. I am sorry that your mom has to be at the mercy of taxis for her appointments and getting around. I am fortunate to drive a automatic so once I am driving I will not have to worry about that. My Beetle is a standard so I have not driven it for the past couple of years as it was too hard on my knees. Next summer I will be barrelling all over town in it.

So you didn't do well on the Canadian stuff "eh". You can't knock poutine until you try it. But you can't try all the gourmet ones with lobster or marinara or anything. It has to be french fries covered with white cheddar cheese curds and then the gravy. It is decadent and good and pairs well with ice cold beer. This is Quebecquois French cuisine not Parisien French cuisine where you have to have a magnifying glass to see what is on your plate :) They make their people sturdy in Quebec where poutine originates from.

Nice that your hubby retired at 49. My goal was 50 but that was before we decided to have child number 3 and move into our big house. No regrets having the third but sometimes wish we had not upgraded so much. Life was good back then and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Love our home and would hate to sell, but will, if it means we aren't stressed about money. Our children deserve better than that. We will see how this year goes and make a decision in June.

Well, I have chatted your eyes off again. I will post more and visit more tomorrow. Night all!
 
@71Beetle That is a very cheap price for a ride, glad that is all worked out. Hubby hopes to retire in a couple of years (age 60) if everything works out. He will go back to work probably mid October, but doesn't have to go back until 3 November. They will let him take it easy and I have friends there that will make him behave himself and not overdo it. A lot of his job had him working on his knee but they know he can't do that anymore. He isn't the only person there that had their knees replaced. The job is hard on the body! Hubby and a bunch more have bad shoulders and other joints too. You have a great day and don't work too hard.
 
Lisa,
Hope you had a good day at work, and the "ride" worked out well. We call it ACCESS here, I would have to pay 6 bucks each way if they had a bus to pick me up, I am outside of the service area.
Heading out to visit Mom, my first trip more that 50 miles from home :yay:. Hope my knee does well, taking ice along so should be OK.
Don't forget if you win the lottery, you will be taking all of us on a cruise, all expenses paid :rotfl:.
 
Hi @71Beetle thanks for the welcome and I hope back to work is going OK.
Your para transport sounds excellent and very good value. The various transport support systems here are aimed at elderly and registered disabled people, so temporary disability like post-surgery doesn't qualify.

I retired at 55, on a reduced pension, "to enjoy life before the knees gave up completely", but I only managed a year before the right one gave way. On the positive side I've been able to have surgery pretty quickly, rather than waiting until I was 60, which I was told I'd have to a few years ago. I can take my time over recovery and not feel pressured to get back to work.

Poutine popped up in the press here recently. Chips and gravy was very popular after a drinking session when I was a student so I can see the attraction:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...he-posh-chips-and-gravy-taking-over-the-world
 
Hi All! A rainy night in Ottawa. I just love going to sleep to the sound of rain...even better if I wake up to sunshine! That would be the life - rain to fall asleep to and cool things down then sun to wake up to and warm things up.

@tiredwife it sounds like your hubby has a very demanding job! It's a good thing you have friends keeping an eye on things! :) Hope he is doing well and that you are getting some well deserved sleep.

@Pumpkln - Chris, I always get a chuckle when I ask a question on your thread and come to my thread and the answer is there! I just asked where you were travelling to on your thread and now I see you are on your way to see your mom. That must be nice for you. Where does your mom live? Do you get to see her often? I am very fortunate to live so close to my mom. I see her and my dad every weekend and sometimes more during the week.

Hi @kneeidea63 - thanks for the article on poutine. I had heard that a Canadian had brought the idea over to the UK and seeing it now in print, it must be true. You are welcome :) The picture looks like a perfect serving of poutine. I have not had any in some time - I am quite the poutine snob so really only partake when I am in Quebec. I work across the river from Gatineau but if I go over there, it is for work or to buy cheap beer and I don't think of poutine. I will have to make a trip once I have completed my 100 day challenge!

How is your rehab going? Will you need to have your other knee done as well? It is unfortunate that your transportation system does not allow for the short-term disability. I had to be referred by my surgeon or physiotherapist so they know that it is necessary. I am pleased that we have it.

Not much new today. Hopefully I will have some movement on my ROM tomorrow. Will keep you posted!

Good night!
 
@71Beetle Hubby's job is demanding, if he can just hang on a couple more years he can retire early (at 60).
Love listening to the rain, especially if we are in the camper. I even love it when it thunders and lightenings. Just don't love it when it causes it to be even muggier. Missouri can be like a sauna in the summer. Luckily this summer has been cooler than most. You have a great day!
 
@dogwheels, @Phil75070, @Celle @Ellejay @Pumpkln @Jozilla @JustJeff @suzzee2000 @busylizzie @hopefaith @DogLoverx3 @Nana moon 27 @Old Texan @maryo52 @Wednesday @robograndma @ironman60 @kneeper @Tamsmom @LauraLeigh @Mai5ie @MCD @jbucks @patient 99 @Lily2450 @sibbi1123 @IrishMike @new knee in June @H2OPoloMom @tiredwife @msmechanic58 @madinana @kneeidea63

Some on this list have not posted on my thread or their own for a while but I wanted to say hello to everyone and let you know I am thinking of you.

9/11 is a day of remembrance and a day to be grateful for what we have. I am grateful for the people I have "met" through this forum. I am grateful for the fact that my knee surgeries and the recovery are nothing compared to what hardships others face on a daily basis. I am grateful for my family, my health and my faith (regardless of how much it has been put to the test).

This week marks 18 weeks since my left TKR and 10 weeks since right TKR. My left knee measures at 120 and -2 as of today. I rarely think about it and have to remind myself to do my exercises. I know that I could likely do a lot more with it if it was not for my right knee.

My right knee finally measured at 100 and -5 today - an improvement since last week! :) Getting it to 100 has been a lot of work and I pushed it to get it to measure at that number today (icing it as I write). It is still bruised and the tendonitis behind the knee has caused a lot of swelling and contributes to the difficulty in bending. My physiotherapist is adding 4 more sessions to keep the numbers moving in the right direction.

I am an emotional wreck most days. I like to blame the meds but man, I cry a lot. The littlest thing can set me off. I am not used to feeling this way. I am very much in control of my happiness and work at it. But something is putting a wrench in that. My kids don't know what to think. My hubby does his best to humour me. My dog is the only one not changing his behaviour to keep me happy. :)

I have to be careful at work to keep my emotions in check as well. Things are different. The business is changing and how the company is reacting to it leaves me a bit confused. My boss is not there a lot as he started chemotherapy yesterday and he is always the one I bounced things off of so it is just weird. I worry about him when he is there and worry about him more when he isn't. We launched the team that I am on almost 19 years ago so have worked very closely together and now he is not communicating very much at all about the business and I don't want to push him. He and his spouse are the sole owners and they have a family and his illness to worry about so he is under a lot of pressure.

Regardless of my loyalty to him, I have to think of my family, so I am going to start to discreetly look for a new job. I won't leave for just anything but if I am going to lose half my salary because their business model is changing, I will have to consider other opportunities. I know I could find something quickly if I just put my resume up on Monster or posted on LinkedIn that I am looking but I would not do that to my boss.

Plus, if I leave I do not want to work for a competitor. I would want to either go in-house as a recruiter or HR specialist or work with a consulting firm on talent acquisition and retention strategy projects. At this point, I am only letting close friends and long time business associates know. Time will tell.

Hard to believe tomorrow is Friday! One thing that doesn't change with my job is that the days fly by. I do enjoy what I do I just don't want to work twice as much for half the pay and wonder every day when the next change is going to be made without any heads up. Life is too short to be unhappy right?!

So what are everyone's plans for the weekend? We are full on with hockey sort outs. My husband will be coaching my youngest boy's team and I will be the team manager. I will also take care of the website for my middle boy's team again. I have been doing that for a number of years.

Saturday I will be spending the day cleaning and organizing my home office. I will soon be going full out with trade shows and open houses for my Plan B job so want to be sure I am organized for that. The holiday season is huge so I want to be fully prepared. I have to get my flyers ready for corporate gift baskets and put together a fund-raiser for the boys' hockey teams. I am growing my team as well so will be following up to book coffee dates and a Skype session with a few referrals that are interested in the health and wellness business. Arbonne is opening up in Poland and there is a lady that has a lot of family there so she is interested in learning more. I am very excited about that!

Sunday I will visit my parents and just hang out with the family. I love Sundays :)

Anyway, as always, I have gone on too long. Hope everyone is doing well. Know that I am thinking of all of you and hope your recovery is coming along.

Have a great weekend!
 
What a lovely post @71Beetle, your ROM seems to be coming on nicely. I'm sorry about the tendonitis, it seems there is always something to hold up our recovery. Your work life sound a little worrying for you at the moment as well, I hope that soon clears up.
I am trying hard to enjoy my holiday in France, we have brought our touring caravan over here, the weather is great, but unfortunately my recent arthroscopy hasn't been as successful (so far) as I'd hoped, and I'm just having to sit and read in the sunshine all day. I'm getting used to a different type of holiday for me, I'm usually the one on the bike, off exploring each day, but hopefully it will improve soon.
Thinking of you, have a wonderful weekend xxx
 
Hi @71Beetle - I agree with @Ellejay, that was a lovely catch up post - although I still have huge reservations about that Poutine! It still looks rather like 'indigestion on a plate' to me. But as you so rightly say - don't knock it until you have tried it.
I am sorry that this whole TKR experience has been an emotional one for you - I think I must be the only one here who didn't cry at all. But then I didn't have 2 TKR's, a family at home and a job to juggle. I think you are managing magnificently.
Such a tricky one with your job situation versus loyalty to your boss - but you know what Lisa? I am such a believer that if something is meant to be, then it will just happen - and a new opportunity may just present itself to you without you even going to look for it. Your new venture sounds exciting too - and I expect you will be putting lots of energy into that to make it launch very successfully. As you say, the lead up to Christmas is the perfect time.
I went to visit my Mum yesterday and told her about your boys and their hockey. I knew that when Mum was in her 20's she used to go alternate weekends to watch Ice Hockey and Speedway (Motorcycle) racing. She loved both. She laughed as the memories came back, and said how everyone used to get very vocal when a penalty was committed.

I hope you have a lovely weekend. I am here home alone, as hubby is sailing in the old classic boats regatta on a beautiful boat built in 1895 - so he's happy. I hope to do a bit of crafting, write and edit a bit more of the annual magazine/report for our seaside place and if I feel very strong, sort out all the paperwork for my letting properties, ready for the tax accountant - not my favourite job, but it has to be done.

Enjoy your weekend, take it easy

XXX
 
Hi @Ellejay, I hope you are enjoying your holidays in France even though you aren't able to be as active as other vacations.

What did you have the Arthroscopy for? Are you trying to get as much out of that knee before you have to have it replaced? I hope it feels better soon.

What book are you reading? I just finished reading The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. I enjoy reading period novels. I am very visual so can bring myself into the period that the story takes place and get really into it. I read quite a bit and flip between business/self help books and fiction or non-fiction books. So the next book is the Flip Flop CEO which is a network marketing book.

Hi @dogwheels - thank you for the kind words. You have always been there to cheer me on and I appreciate it! I am a true believer in if it's meant to be then it will happen. I have lived my life this way and other than the recent hiccups, it has done me well.

So your hubby is away again. I think you are like me in the way that you enjoy the time you have when he is gone. My hubby has fished all his life and I have never been the type of wife that resents his time away. He is fully present when he is home and his time away allows me to do different things with the boys. Lately our two younger boys have been joining him on the Spring trip.

Speaking of trips, our middle boy has just been chosen to go on a trip to New York City! It is for students in Grades 10 to 12. While there they will visit all of the tourist sites and watch a hockey game, a football game and a Broadway show. He will be gone for 4 days and 3 nights. Our only stipulation for him to go is that he pay for half. He just got a job, during the Haunting Season at a local maze that sets up a haunted house, haunted barn and a haunted hayride, so he will be able to afford it and some spending money too. He is very excited! One of his closest friends is going as well so he is even more stoked.

I hope to do a bit of crafting, write and edit a bit more of the annual magazine/report for our seaside place and if I feel very strong, sort out all the paperwork for my letting properties, ready for the tax accountant - not my favourite job, but it has to be done.

That seems like a busy time for you @dogwheels! How many properties do you have that you rent out? I am trying to convince my eldest to save money to invest in real estate but he feels he is too much of a pushover. My hubby and I sometimes regret not holding off on making the leap to the "bigger house" and getting into the real estate investment game.

How did you get involved in writing for the annual report for your seaside place? How long have you had your place. I remember when you posted pictures. It is stunning.

Well I will post more later or tomorrow. Chat with everyone soon.
 
So glad to be catching up on your posts @71Beetle! Sounds like you (and your family) have been very busy. With all you do, I'm happy that you were finally able to break the 100 mark on your flexion! Will check back later, but desperately need some sleep right now.
 
Hi @71Beetle - yes I am having a lovely bit of 'me time' this weekend. Just pottering about with only me to please. Hubby and I are very independent, as is our daughter and although we all love our time together, we also cherish that time on our own, doing what we want without having to take anyone else into consideration!

How lovely for your son to go to NYC on a trip. My daughter never seemed to be doing the right subjects to get the long distance trips - just endless theatre trips into London. And that Haunted House thing sounds a really fun way to make the money for his contribution towards the cost. I hope he has a great time - not that there is any chance that he won't!

Well we are all gearing up here for holidays. Mum goes with her friend next week and I have arranged everything for them - door to door transportation and all inclusive hotel. Then daughter goes to visit an old Uni friend in Hong Kong at the beginning of October, and then on the way home, is having a week on the beach in Abu Dhabi, revisiting some old haunts. While she is away, we are having a mini break. Flying to Budapest for 5 days - to test the knee on planes, sightseeing etc. Hopefully all will be fine - the important thing is, I feel confident enough to do it now. This time last year we were in AndalucĂ­a - it was painful and tiring and I think that is what finished my knee off 'good and proper' - so we intend to take things slowly and gently.

The Report/Magazine thing is coming on fine. We bought the house 16 years ago when were living in Indonesia, and our main house was rented out. Its on a private estate with a lot of communal areas - marina, moorings, gardens, lock gates etc Each of the 37 houses has a share in the development as a whole. For that reason we have a Residents Management Committee as it is cheaper than employing a Managing Agent. They oversee maintenance, legal issues and ensure that the strict covenants on maintaining the look of the place are upheld. Hubby has done a stint on the Board and is just about to do another couple of years. My contribution is to edit the Annual Report/Magazine and organise the Progressive Suppers. Hubby and I do quite a lot there - it's our way of putting something back a) because we are 2nd homers and not there all the time and b) we had 2 long stints of living abroad when we could not get involved or help out.

We only have 2 letting properties - one that is a nice detached house, quite straightforward, plus I pay to have it fully managed. The other house is the one that is complicated. It is on an island about 2 hours away and is used for regatta lets, holiday lets and a bit of corporate in the low season. Therefore all the running costs are down to me. I now have several different agents that thankfully work really well together, cleaners for the clean and linen turnrounds to sort out, and various tax clauses that I have to comply with. I had a real wheeler dealer agent for the first 4 years - he had no paperwork for anything, and twice I had to threaten legal proceedings to get money owed to me. I have no doubt that he fleeced me, but he did pull in the punters. I couldnt carry on like that and so made a break at the beginning of this season. He is begging me to go back, but I much prefer the transparency of my new operation. This will be the last tax return I need to make, trying to interpret his shoddy accounts. Things will be better next year.
We are glad we have the 2 properties. They earn more than we would get if the money was invested as the interest rate is so bad now. Plus we bought at the right time when the market was depressed and did them up, so the equity is steadily increasing. As we would say here 'a nice little earner'. Our daughter has every intention to buy an investment property one day - but she is content with her little house at the moment.

Enjoy your Sunday and talk soon

XXX
 
Hello @71Beetle I am also trying to catch up on threads. Sounds like you are doing well and still improving. This surgery takes out an awful lot physically as well or more so mentally. I always tell anyone I meet having this surgery to be prepared mentally. But until you have had a tkr you would not understand.

Sorry to hear about your job. Remember your family and you come first and that should help you in your job search.

I hope to be on BS more than I have recently. I had my left tkr done on Monday and am so glad that part is done. I will say I forgot how much this surgery does take out of you! So far am doing well. The hospital was more of a nightmare this time and feel much better being home!

Take care!
JoAnne
 
Another cool day in Ottawa. There is a feeling of Fall in the air for sure. At least the sun was out. I visited my parents, came home and did some work and puttered around with my indoor plants - I have not taken care of them lately at all and they have sorely missed me.

@H2OPoloMom - thanks for stopping by. It is always nice to hear from you. Are the kids settled into school now? Are they still all playing water polo?

@Jozilla. Hi JoAnne, happy to hear that you are home and icing and elevating. I read about your horror story on your thread and it does not sound like it was a lot of fun. I bet you are happy to be home. :)

@dogwheels - a trip to Budapest sounds wonderful! I have never been before, have you? By the sounds of everything you do already, your knee should handle it quite well.

I like the idea of you having the committee for your seaside place. I sometimes wish we had that in our neighbourhood. Some of our neighbours do not take care of their property at all. Without doing much gardening, our place still looks a lot better. I hate how my gardens look but next year they will be back to their glory. I tend to do more shrubs up front, with lilies and hibiscus thrown in for colour. My backyard has a lot more gardens and because we send more time back there around the pool, I try to do more flower and grasses gardens. I certainly have my work cut out for me next year!

It sounds like you made a good move in getting rid of that one agent that was "taking care" of your rental. It is so smart of you to take a chance on the market and end up with your "nice little earners". I fully expect that hubby and I will put our toe into real estate once we get our finances cleaned up. If our youngest stays in Ottawa to go to school, it maybe a good idea to buy something downtown that he and some roommates can rent from us and pay the mortgage that way. Maybe something to work toward. He is graduating high school in 5 years so we have some time.
 
Everyone is settled into their schedules, I think. Water polo will start after the new year for my girls and I've already started the countdown! My son is away at school for his freshmen year in college and they don't have a water polo team, but he did earn a spot as a percussionist in the top concert band, jazz band, and pep band too. I hope he has time for his classes as he is studying to become an engineer. As if that wasn't enough, he's filling in the cracks with ballroom dancing- the girls love it. His girlfriend is in town commuting to a local university and we went shopping and out to eat Friday. We both had a great time! My youngest decided to play tennis this fall. She has no experience and watching her play has all my muscles screaming to grab a racket and hop on the court, but I will not...yet.

I hope you had a lovely weekend and can start off your week fresh!
 
Hi @71Beetle , sorry, I must be quick, I've posted this once and lost the lot!
The arthroscopy was supposed to clean up any debris in the joint and give me a bit longer before the TKR, but when I woke up the OS said he had had to do much more than he thought, the knee is in a bad way. In fact I think it is much worse now. Hopefully he will agree to a TKR sooner rather than later when I see him next week.
As for reading, I love The Red Tent, I read it a while back now. As I've done nothing this trip other than sit and read I've got through quite a few books.....
Kate Grenville - the Lieutenant
Minette Walters The Tinderbox
Edmund de Waal - The Hare with Amber Eyes
Toni Morrison -Beloved
Sarah Waters - The Little Stranger

They are all completely different genres, but I've enjoyed them all.
I hope you had a good weekend
xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom