Guest viewing is limited

TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@patient 99 My husband was military so we moved around a lot, so it was 'make new friends again' type of life! So I am use to it. I did find that there are some that we have stayed in contact with all these years.
 
Hi Carol @patient99 - I am honoured, I think that's the first time in my life I have ever been called 'sensible'!:rotfl:

Given that my friends on Nana Moon's thread all seem to be having the other knee done shortly, I will be around for months yet to check in on them. So I'll be around for some time ......... you know where I can be found.

I suffer from verbal diarrhea in real life and when I write - so please feel free to keep in touch if you wish. I will never turn up the chance to chat on line or in person (although I would hate to interrupt your cleaning schedule!)I've dipped in and out of your postings too and love your sense of humour.

NB - this post is outwith my normal first and last thing in the day posting. This one is taking place with a very large glass of Sauvignon Blanc in hand (I deserve it, I have been to my Mum's). Sorry that you are still on the wagon @71Beetle.

Cheers everybody and keep in touch @patient 99

XXX
 
:groan::groan::groan:That is a really big groan @tiredwife (but I love it!).

Just a quick hello before I go off to bed. Tonight is my last night alone in my bed. The boys go back to school on Tuesday so as of Monday night there will be no more camping out up in the loft. My hubby has been sleeping in our youngest boys bed (our old queen size) but there will be no more of that.

I have mixed feelings about this. I love him dearly but let's be clear, I have had 16 weeks of no snoring in my ear. I have had 16 weeks of having the entire bed to myself. I have had 16 weeks of BoneSmarting in the middle of the night without worrying that the light will wake him up. I have had 16 weeks of not having to worry about tripping over the dog on my way to the bathroom. (the dog stays with him).

Then there is the whole "sharing" the bed. I am in no shape for any of that mentally or physically. I'll have to make that clear in a hurry. :heehee:

I think the people who use `things' instead of their face for their avatar have very good reasons (???????),
You are right about this. At the beginning I hid behind my avatar. It allowed me to have a voice and and ear while still being anonymous. And I absolutely love my Beetle. However, I do enjoy seeing people that I am chatting with as it makes it more personal. I commented when people changed their pics but it wasn't until @tiredwife mentioned putting mine up that I did.

I grew up as an air force brat so learned to make "friends" quick and fast. I have a lot of acquaintances that I have met through the years and a small group of people that I call friends.

I am turning 50 this year and I still keep in touch with friends from our two year stint in California when I was in the sixth grade. My best friend in Ottawa has been my bestie since the last year of high school and I still keep in touch with colleagues from when my hubby and I were posted to Germany when we were first married. I have been reacquainted with acquaintances through Facebook but the friendships I had before Facebook have been maintained through phone calls, emails and cards and letters through the mail (my personal favourite).

I like to think I have made friends on the forum and if there is ever a reunion cruise, I plan on attending, God willing. A lot of people will come and go through our recoveries just like they do in life and I thank each and every one of them for being there through the good, the bad, and the ugly of my journey.

@patient 99 I hope you will keep a eye on my thread and let me know how you are doing either by posting here or messaging me. Your thread was one that I visited often. I did not always leave a message but I enjoyed the banter between you and your friends on the thread.

@dogwheels I agree with what you say about making the most with the people that are here while they are here. You are sensible. :) Hope you had a nice time visiting your mom. I saw my parents today. Dad dropped Mom and I off at the mall for an hour or so. Mom has lost a lot of weight, they are still trying to figure out why, so she needed some new clothes. Got some really cute tops and pants for her. I had her try on a pair of jeans with some bling on them. Something she would never usually wear. They looked fantastic on her so now I have a 77 year old mom strutting around with sparkles on the butt of her jeans. She is as cute as a button.

Tomorrow is the last day of "summer" for the boys before they go back to school. We are doing the "annual movie and dinner before school starts" tomorrow. Not to be confused with the "annual Father's day movie and dinner" or the "annual Christmas Break from school movie and dinner" or the... (you get the idea). :) The plan is to watch The Expendables 3 then go to Boston Pizza for supper. We got the movie tickets at Costco. Movie tickets at the theatre are $11 or $12 each but at Costco we got two movie tickets, two medium popcorn and two medium drinks for $22! We stocked up. The kids can buy them from us when they want to go with a friend as well. You can't beat that deal!

Anyway, I am off to bed Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend!
xox
 
Good Morning All!

I am doing my physio exercises and noticed that I am in dire need of a pedicure. I have managed to keep my nails clipped and polished, although right now the polish looks like some abstract art with all the chips, but I need a proper pedicure.

We were weighing in on pedicures last week at physio and the majority said I should not have it done at a spa anymore. What??! No pedicures??! That is my thing! Mother's Day, Birthday, Random Saturday with the Girls, Friends' Marriages, Babies & BreakUps, Any Excuse Under the Sun! I get pedicures almost monthly and at the very least every other month! I mean how DECADENT is it to have someone one else take care of your FEET?!!

So what do you guys think? I have never allowed them to use the razor tool on my feet (because I don't want an infection) but what is wrong with the rest of the pedicure? Is it fear of an infection like the dentist? Should I take antibiotics before I go? Is this a question for Josephine? - rather a frivolous question, I would think when she gets so many serious medical questions in her inbox.

I sound like a diva and that is not my intention but a pedicure to me is a bit of girly heaven with my lady friends where I have no talk of body noises and sports that I spend the rest of my life around (with three boys and a hubby at home). My girlfriends and I are supposed to be going for one to celebrate a friend's birthday in a couple of weeks....

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your day!
:flwrysmile:
 
@71Beetle glad I could make you groan!:heehee:

Aw the great pedicure debate! On the Social page somewhere there is a debate about it. I think the main problem is if your skin gets nicked - especially if they don't sanitize their tools, and the soaking baths aren't always sanitized. Talk to your OS about it.
 
I have had 16 weeks of having the entire bed to myself.
Hi Lisa, this was a topic of discussion a few months back. I was surprised at how many couples still share a bed. For me the downs far outweigh the ups at this stage of the game. Cosying up is nice, but how long does that last. And then you have 7,8, 9 hours of all the irritating stuff eg, snoring. I have it on good authority that the Queen of England does not share a bed. Mind you Elizabeth II is in her 80s and Carol I, in my late 60s. So that could have something to do with it :wink:

ps: I don't like sharing the tv remote control either.
 
Not that I've ever been a fan of people touching my feet (at least without buying me dinner and a cocktail first) ;-), but I personally will not have a professional pedicure done. I've read to many stories about getting infections from unsterilized tools - the ones they use on your heels, under your toe nails, etc..... for me, it's one of those 'better safe than sorry' things. I just don't want to risk it.....

Oh, and sorry about the snoring. My dogs snore, but that's all I got. ;-)
 
Lisa,
Buy your own tools, and basin for your feet to soak. There are places here that encourage you to bring your own stuff. Of course you are going to have to clean them between visits, but will be the only person using them.
 
Hi Chris @Pumpkln, I was thinking of bringing my own tools as well. But I may go the better safe than sorry route as recommended by Ellen @DogLoverx3 and do my own. I have great soaking products and my feet never require a lot of work (likely because I get pedicures regularly) so I may be okay to do it on my own. Will have to think of another social venue.

Carol @patient 99, I love your post. You make some very valid statements. I forgot about the remote. I never watched TV in the bedroom much before surgery. But it has become an ally when I am not sleeping.
 
Just putting in my two pennyworth regarding the pedicure debate.

As one who loved having her feet regularly razor sliced by our local Oriental Pedi Palace - I have reluctantly not returned there since long before the TKR. I do however have my own razor kit that I like to use from time to time (sadist that I am) and as I am a bit OCD it gets "antisepticised" each time I, and only I use it. I bought myself (yes I know I am a gift to the retail industry) a clever little sanding machine thingy that works exceptionally well as back up.
But unlike Doglover, I know just where @71Beetle is coming from. I LOVE having my feet 'seen to' and the best Pedi's ever were by the Philippina ladies in the Middle East. Even the scabbiest yuckiest sandal feet came out looking amazingly and pristinely perfect.
My daughter has been trying to persuade me to buy some miracle stuff that you paint on and over several days literally strips chunks of thick layers off the bottom of your feet until they are like baby feet. I'm not too keen and as I have been wearing 'sensible' shoes this summer, my feet aren't as bad as usual.
My solution is a chiropodist that does medi-Pedi's. This is what I had 2 weeks before the TKR and will be going to in a couple of weeks time. The varnish job is not as pro as a beauty salon, but everything is satisfyingly disinfected and sterile.

XXX
 
You guys hit the nail on the head about pedicures. It's all about how the procedure is done and the cleanliness of the salon. Generally, the razors are risky no matter what. But so is the soak if the salon doesn't use a clear plastic liner that is new every time. And the tools need to be sterilized between uses or you risk picking up a fungus. If you've never had to rid yourself of a toenail fungus, let me tell you it can be challenging.

It's also a good idea no matter who does your toes to use a drop of Tea Tree Oil under at least the big toenail each time. This wonderful oil is the best thing to zap a fungus and it will work as a preventative too.
 
Thanks for the input @Jamie and @dogwheels.
My solution is a chiropodist that does medi-Pedi's.
Not sure what that is or where I find one but I will look into it. My feet are in pretty good condition, I am an Arbonne representative after all :). My issue is the shaping of the toenail, the cuticles and the professional job of the nail polish. I also get the paraffin was and massage treatment which is where the decadence comes into the equation.

@Jamie - do you think this plastic liner that you mentioned is something I can bring? It is not something as simple as a basin that I use for my foot soaks. These are tubs that are part of the massage chair at the salon. Maybe I will ask the salon about it.

The salon that I favour the most will be out of the question regardless of their sanitizing standards.. It is built in an old manse with vertical stairs up to the place where they do the pedicures and then it is even further up another set of stairs to the attic where our pedicures dry and they serve tea. It is lovely but my knees won't take it right now.

We just got back from the movie and dinner - it was nice and a lot of fun but I am quite confident we are the loudest table in the entire restaurant. My middle son is a real comedian and he gets the oldest laughing - he has such a loud, contagious laugh that gets us all laughing which then encourages the comedian to keep going...I am sure if people saw us again at the restaurant they would ask for a table as far away from us as possible. Oh well, better to laugh than not.

So I think we have everything sorted out for school tomorrow. I never stress too much about the first day. As long as the kids have a combination for their locker, a notebook and a pen, and a lunch, they are good to go. They will get the list of supplies they need and my hubby can get that stuff the next day in between his bus runs. Sleep is the most important thing the night before school so we are back to a scheduled bed time and I am getting the gears already even though we are still an hour away from bed time.

I hope everyone with children have a safe and happy first day of school, for those returning tomorrow. For those that have already returned, hope you are down to a manageable routine and that your kids are settling in.

Have a great night everyone!
 
A woman runs a red traffic light and crashes into a man's car. Both of their cars are demolished, but amazingly, neither of them is hurt.
After they crawl out of their cars, the woman says; "Wow, just look at our cars! There's nothing left, but fortunately we are unhurt. This must be a sign from God that we should meet and be friends and live together in peace for the rest of our days."
The man replies, "I agree with you completely. This must be a sign from God!"
The woman continues, "And look at this, here's another miracle. My car is completely demolished, but my bottle of wine didn't break. Surely God wants us to drink this wine and celebrate our good fortune." She then hands the bottle to the man.
The man nods his head in agreement, opens it, drinks half the bottle and then hands it back to the woman. The woman takes the bottle, immediately puts the cap back on, and hands it back to the man.
The man asks, "Aren't you having any?"
The woman replies, "Nah. I think I'll just wait for the police."

Adam ate the forbidden fruit too.

Men will never learn...
 
Hi Everyone.
What a hectic week! Sorry I have not posted the past couple of days. The boys have settled into school. Of course they don't like it....after all, it's school. My eldest is enjoying the freedom of college, and the view. He said he fell in love three times today alone. When I asked if he introduced himself to any of the girls he fell in love with, he laughed and said "of course not". He is so shy! :)

Back to work full time hours this week with the exception of Tuesdays and Thursdays when I have physio. I try to get up from my desk and walk around to keep from stiffening up but it has not been easy. I get focussed on the task at hand and before I know it, I have stiffened right up. I will have to set a timer until I get into the swing of things or use a small water glass so I am forced to get up to refill it.

My son has been driving me and picking me up this week. It is terribly inconvenient for him as I work downtown at 8:00 am and he goes to college in the west end at different times - today his classes started at 1:00. He doesn't mind but the goal was for him to leave his car at the Park and Ride and take the bus to school to save money. Parking at the college is expensive not to mention the gas money. He does not make enough money to pay for it. I have been paying for it this week because I have not other way to get to work until next week.

I am registered with Para Transpo (the city bus run transportation for people that cannot drive due to surgery, age or other thing that may leave one unable to drive). The cost is the same as a bus (though I may have to pay more because I am rural). Anyway, according to the person who answered the booking line, I cannot pre-book. Apparently, I have to call every day at 9:00 to book the next day. I called today at 9:40 am and they were fully booked for my ride in tomorrow but they will be able to pick me up downtown after work.

I need to be at the door of my building at 5:00 sharp. If I am not there at 5:00, they leave. However, they could be there anytime between 5:00 and 5:30 pm. I don't mind waiting so much, I just worry about the people that are far worse off than me that may have to wait.

Hopefully I will be driving soon! I see my family doctor on the 16th and will hopefully get a plan of action to taper off all of the things I am on. I still experience a lot of pain and have not been sleeping well as a result. I really worry that I am not healing well and I am confident that if I did not have to go back to work so quickly, I would be better of. This is just me thinking, I have no proof but it seems odd that since I did go back to work August 3rd and did not rest as much or have time to ice and elevate, my flexion and extension has pretty much frozen.

I was at physio on Tuesday. It was supposed to be my last session. I measured at 95 degrees flexion and -6 extension. When I started on August 5th I was at 85 degrees and -2. So frustrating! I pushed to get to that 95 degrees and I was so sore yesterday. So they have added 4 more sessions and I hope I can see some results. I was back again today and it seemed to go pretty well. They only measure once a week so I don't know my measurements but it seemed to improve. Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

How is everyone else doing?
@Phil75070 - I know you are a jokes man but I have a riddle for you and everyone else:

When you say my name I disappear.

Feel free to leave your answer. No cheating please - that is not why the internet was invented. :heehee: I will give the answer tomorrow. Look forward to hearing from you.
G'Night!
 
OK, I am supposed to be picking up for the housekeeper tomorrow, and now I am thinking of the riddle.
Going to have to multi task.
Seems that going back to work too soon slows progress. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Or as my Grandmother in Law used to say. One does what one must.

I want to drive, hope we both are behind the wheel soon!
 
OK, I am supposed to be picking up for the housekeeper tomorrow
. I do the same thing! My boys do not understand. I tell them that our house cleaner is here to clean, not to pick up after them.

What is keeping you from driving? Is it the meds or the pain in your knee? With me it is a bit of both. It is painful enough on my right knee to be a passenger during the 45 minute commute, never mind driving. I worry about the back and forth motion from the gas to the brake pedals during rush hour. I am still on narcotics too so that causes an issue. Soon enough we will be back terrorizing the highway!
 
Back
Top Bottom