TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

With the meds I am on @Phil75070, it would be one tequila, floor but I am willing to try anything once. :)

Thank you @Pumpkln, @Phil75070, @tiredwife, @dogwheels, @DogLoverx3, @H2OPoloMom, @Celle and @Jozilla for sticking with me. I think you are right that I am doing too much and that work and physio may be more than my knee can handle.

I think I am in a cycle where I am on the meds to ease the pain but if I stopped doing so much I could get off the meds and get my independence back which in turn will bring back my self esteem. Exercise is a big thing for me and for the past 3 years I have been unable to do much at all, and believe me I have tried almost everything.

It was not lack of fitness, at least in the early period of time, it was the fact that no matter what I did, it caused me to be practically immobile for the next two days. I had no choice but to just stop whatever I was doing. I gave up running first, then spinning, then rowing, then cycling, then walking (as a sport - I still walked to get from point A to B). Swimming was fine but I could only do it in the summer and I am not much of a swimmer to get into laps, though I am now rethinking that. I gained 50 pounds quite quickly and have spent money we did not have to try different diets (Bernstein, Protein Edge, Weight Watchers, BodybyVi) but I never stuck with it.

50 pounds on a small frame causes a lot more issues with joints. I have kept strong with weights and as much yoga as I could take which is why I think they accepted me for the joint replacements. Well that and the fact that I was bone on bone for a good 2 years and cortisone shots were no longer easing the pain. I know people that are in as much, if not more arthritic pain than I was but they have not been "allowed" to get the surgeries until they lose weight.

So anyway, my point is, I really need to get my weight down for 3 reasons:
1. To improve my health and wellness and set a good example for my boys
2. To improve my self esteem
3. I cannot afford a new wardrobe

Lucky for me the company I represent (the one that will allow me to quit my day job), Arbonne, has some yummy shakes and a 30-Day Fit Kit. I have joined a 100 day challenge which includes following the 30 Day Fit-Kit Plan, cutting dairy and starchy foods (or at least reducing as much as possible) and exercising for 30 minutes per day (which will be broken down into 3 x 10 minute walks for me as I work up to 30 minutes non stop). I am really pumped to start on the first day of the school year on Tuesday! I will keep you all in the loop on how it is going.

Salty snacks are my nemesis so the boys will be disappointed when the chips and munchies are replaced with carrots and almonds but they'll get used to it. We always eat better during the school year than we do in the summer. We are so much more scheduled so I think that helps.

How is everyone's weekend going so far? Mine has been pretty lazy today. Did not get out of bed until almost 11:00 am! Had a friend over for tea, had lunch, cleaned up around the kitchen, did on-line price comparisons for the camera my eldest son needs for school, put a camera on hold to pick up tomorrow, hung out with the boys by the pool and we have just returned for a walk. Hubby is BBQ-ing steak, potatoes and mushrooms for dinner.

Before surgery I would have been enjoying a cold glass of white wine about now but that will have to wait until I am off meds (and after the 100 day challenge). Just in time for my 50th birthday! Woo Hoo!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@71Beetle make sure you are still getting calcium because your bones are trying to heal. Best of luck with your 100 day challenge.
 
@71Beetle We are doing okay! I had a lazy day. Hubby made me breakfast before I dragged my bottom out of bed and he made dinner tonight too (he is getting bored already again). Besides that we have been lazy! All I've done today is dishes. Being switched to Norco is helping the anxiety, but his pain level is a little higher. Says he would rather have the higher pain than the anxiety. I'll see if I can get him in Tuesday to see his regular doctor.
He only uses the cane for the stairs and if we go somewhere. He still isn't sleeping well at night, but he naps off and on all day!
I need to loose a lot of weight, but once the sitter starts watching our grandson instead of me, and I can start working on this house remodel again I will start loosing. If I'm active I don't snack as much. My great down fall is chocolate! The 70% kind.
Keep us posted on how much you are loosing!
 
@tiredwife - I am just back from your thread. So nice of hubby to make you breakfast. My hubby is the cook in our house. He used to be a really picky eater but I have taught him how to make many dishes and although I nag him about not preparing enough vegetables, he is a pretty good cook. He prefers the barbecue and will be out there in a snowstorm - filet mignon that night. we laugh when someone says to me "what are you making for dinner" I generally answer with: "a phone call" or "reservations". :)

I think I would rather have pain than anxiety too. I hope things get better for him soon.

Love 70% chocolate especially when they are covering peanuts. I find it hard to find them though.
 
Okay @tiredwife - here is a recent picture of me. I just got my hair cut off - it is chin length now. This pic was taken at a 54-40 concert at a small venue about an hour outside of Ottawa. Not sure if you are familiar with the band. They are one of my favourite bands and they are Canadian.
 
Lisa,
Quiet day here too, went shoe shopping, they were out of my size in the shoes I wanted :(.
Your plan for losing weight sounds like it will work, that is great. It is hard to lose weight when you are inactive, and easy to put on the pounds.
I like almost any chocolate, including the ones you two like @tiredwife and @71Beetle. I like the chocolate from Trader Joe's too.
Love both of your new Avatars! Make me think it is time to change mine, I will see what I have.
 
@71Beetle you are beautiful! Don't recall hearing that band! Will have to look them up. Thank you for putting a face to the name!

@Pumpkln Lindt also makes truffles that are great. Darn, now I want one! Haven't had Trader Joe's. My favorite thing is chocolate dipped fresh strawberries, darn now I want one of those too!
 
Please do look up 54-40. I don't think you'll be disappointed! Thank you for the compliment as well. @Pumpkln, are you familiar with the band 54-40?

Lindt chocolate is very good. A friend of mine was in Belgium for work and brought me back some chocolate. Nothing like Belgian chocolate! YUM. I am not a big sweets eater so I was able to enjoy it a little bit at a time. @Pumpkln, I have not heard about Trader Joe's. Is it a brand of chocolate?

I kind of started a love affair with strawberries and whipped cream while I was off. Good thing I was using light whipped cream. Now it is blueberries and strawberries. It will be fine for the Challenge as long as I lose the whipped cream!:heehee:
 
are you familiar with the band 54-40?
No I haven't, I will look them up.
Trader Joe's is a health food grocery store, less expensive than Whole Foods. The carry wonderful store brand chocolates, and other great products. Maybe you have heard of "Two Buck Chucks" in reference to their house branded Charles Shaw wine.
I have gained 10#'s reading this thread, my mattress is going to break down. Actually I do want a new mattress, this one makes my back sore.
I use natural yogurt instead of whipped cream on berries.
 
They are a mix of folk and 80's alternative. Look up Ocean Pearl, I Go Blind, and One Gun - they are likely their more popular ones.

We have a great mattress but I would really like the ones that have the "perfect number" for each person on the bed I can't remember what they are called but I could have my side of the bed different than my hubby's. My only concern about that is if we could cuddle still (hope that's not too much information) :heehee:

I use natural yogurt instead of whipped cream on berries.
Natural yogurt plain?? I would not like that but maybe vanilla flavoured. :)

I always find it fun that I am writing on one person's thread while they are writing on mine. I think this is happening with the two of us right now. :snork:
 
Yes plain yogurt, I make my own, it is not as tart.
It is the sleep number bed, I am looking at another brand, comfortaire. Sleep number owns both companies. We also like the Hilton Hotel mattresses, you can purchase them on their web site.
I am 5'2" and shrinking. My friend has ride on top kayaks, I think they will be OK.
 
Ride on top kayaks sound great! Hope you have fun! Have you ever tried paddle boarding? I can't wait t try it next year! I have never done it before but it looks like fun!

I will have to check out the Hilton Hotel site at their mattresses when the time comes. I actually bought pillows from one of the hotels downtown. We stayed there for a work event and the pillows were so amazing that for Christmas I bought them for my hubby and I.
 
Hi Lisa, love the new avatar. I think the people who use `things' instead of their face for their avatar have very good reasons (???????), but I think we are hard wired to want to see who we are talking to . Somebody (a newbie) recently posted a video showing her with her PT and how she was walking post op - it also had sound. I loved it. My immediate reaction was `why don't we all do this?' But I think that says a lot about me. I once went on a date with someone I'd met on line. We went for a meal. I chose the seat right in the centre of the restaurant. I like to see everything. He never asked me out again. Shame really 'cause I would have said `yes':heehee:

I am posting less because there is nothing new to say about my knee. As Jamie has set up the `Challenging Recoveries' section in the BS library, I will occasionally update my thread so that my journey has an end. Now I tend to just read posts and only reply if something strikes me. I never ever got used to making friends on BS only to have them go once they recovered or work/life demanded their full attention. Of course I understood it, and knew it was the right thing for them to do, but it left a void. Messaging as I am now `dipping in and out', its much less personal. My house is now cleaner too <chuckle>
 
Hope everybody is having a good day.
Have already commented elsewhere on @71Beetle's lovely avatar - now I can see @tiredwife too! Brilliant.
I agree with @patient 99 it is nice to know who you are 'talking' to.

I also agree with her about the sometimes 'short lived' friendships on here. However having spent a chunk of life being an expat - the 'make friends quick, because they may go even quicker' - ethos has stuck. So I make the most of it while people I like are here and move on when they leave ........... onwards and upwards and always look forward! That said, I think a few of us original @Nana moon 27 coffee club crew will remain friends for a long time. I really hope so, but if not - then it was fun while it lasted!

If you are stuck with your leg in the air, an ice pack in place and dosed up on meds - there is not a lot you can do. So posting on here takes up a good part of your day. Once life returns to some semblance of normality, other things take over - I have found that myself. Which is why I now tend to post first thing in the morning with my cup of coffee and last thing at night with my cup of tea!

On that note I am off to visit my Mum. Take care and enjoy your Sunday everybody.

XXX
 
So I make the most of it while people I like are here and move on when they leave

Very sensible. In fact its a shame we didn't message each other, because everything I've read of yours has been sensible and interesting. Following your example I'll take the view `Oh well can't win 'em all'. Then I'll secretly go off and shed a tear - following my own example :heehee:.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom