TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@71Beetle what a great report. Family is important and enjoy as when life gets busy sometime its hard to get every one in the same place at the same time. Don't worry the swelling will eventually leave Today is the first day have had no swelling, but slept in and once I start moving around it will be back I just take it one day at a time!!!
 
@71Beetle I think I missed a few days so here is a really bad one to make up for it!
Q: If Mississippi bought Virginia a New Jersey, what would Delaware?
A: Idaho... Alaska!
 
An elderly lady was invited to an old friend's home for dinner one evening. She was impressed by the way her lady friend preceded every request to her husband with endearing terms such as: Honey, My Love, Darling, Sweetheart, etc. The couple had been married almost 70 years and, clearly, they were still very much in love. While the husband was in the living room, her lady friend leaned over to her hostess to say, 'I think it's wonderful that, after all these years, you still call your husband all those loving names.'

The elderly lady hung her head, 'I have to tell you the truth,' she said, 'his name slipped my mind about 10 years ago, and I'm scared to death to ask the cranky old a*hole what his name is.'
 
TGIF! Getting into the swing of things work wise. It is easier this time going back as I know I am back for good where when I went back in between surgeries it was difficult to get traction as I knew I would be leaving again. Next week will be tough as I will be leaving the house between 7 and 7:15 am again. I will need to be up 30 minutes earlier than normal to get my exercises in which is fine when I am leaving the house at 9:15....

@Pumpkln - How are you doing. I will hop over to your forum soon but are things good? I hope you can take part in the group ice bucket challenge. It is such a good cause. I have a friend offended by the waste of water that is happening through the ALS challenge and wants people to donate as much to clean water in Africa as they do on the ALS bucket challenge. I told him he is missing the point. He is now offended by me.

We have had a couple of fun four on four hockey games with a bunch of boys that my youngest has played with over the years. It is good for the kids to get their skate legs back before sort outs happen in a couple of weeks. Our middle boy has been refereeing the games as well. Sitting in a cold rink in the summer is not ideal but they like it when I come to watch so I brave the cold. It will be much worse in a few months. At least now I can go outside to warm up. That won't be happening in December. :)

@dogwheels -
Just telling you this to emphasise that these things really do come in time, and although it is easier said than done, we just have to be patient and notch up and rejoice in our successes as and when they come - because they really seem to have their own agenda.
You are so right about that.

Sounds like your rehab is going well. Just doing regular day stuff seems to be helping a lot. I try not to over do it but I do a few lunges whenever I go by the stairs and I do heel slides as often as I can. I still can't walk too much but do as much as I can. I want to be sure that I do this rehabilitation properly - even though I just want to get on with it! My goal right now is to do a full rotation on the bike. Once I have that down, I will be able to work out more. Right now my workouts consist of getting up from a seated position and doing my physio exercises twice a day.

My new business is Arbonne. It is a health and wellness company that offers botanically based skin care, makeup, hair-care and nutritional products. I was a user of the product for two years and saw a tremendous improvements in my skin and hair. When I saw my consultant doing so well and retiring from her "day job" I became intrigued in the business side. I will send you a private message if you would like to learn more.

@tiredwife - wow your hubby is doing really well! I am at 119 on the knee I had done in May! He must be very pleased as you must be as well. My hubby is such a strong supporter of my healing and I am grateful for sure.
Your latest joke brings back memories of when I was little. I used to travel with my aunt and uncle every summer and I would ask my uncle that joke almost every day! too funny :)

Hi @madinana - welcome to my thread. How are you doing. You had your first knee surgery shortly after my second. Hope your recovery is going well! Nice that you got a sleep in today. I plan on doing that tomorrow!

Oh @Phil75070 - thanks for always making me laugh. I have no clue where you get all of your jokes but keep them coming! Hope your golf game is continuing to go well! I may go out tomorrow to hit a bucket of balls with my middle son and hubby to see how I feel. Hubby has been going for physio on his shoulder and arm - he tore his bicep and strained his rotator cuff last summer and it is still giving him grief. Our middle boy has a sciatic nerve that has been acting up on him so he is in physio for that. We need to get that sorted out before hockey and army cadets starts up again, that's for sure.

Anyway, it is getting late and I am fading. It is good to be back on the forum. I've missed all of you! Have a great weekend!
:flwrysmile:
 
@71Beetle glad the joke brought back memories. Sounds like you are starting to get back into the swing of things, careful you don't overdo it.
 
Hi @71Beetle - I am so glad that you are getting out and about and things are on the up. I know you will get there as you have such a great attitude. But like @tiredwife says, try not to overdo as it is easy to do so - especially as you are back to work. I wish you every success with your business venture - there is nothing like personally believing in a product that you are marketing. No need to send any details - but thanks anyway - I am just terminally nosey and love to know what people do and ventures they go in to - I find it fascinating.

I laughed at @Phil75070's joke about the old lady who couldn't remember her husbands name. It made me think of a true story, when we were living in Indonesia. My husband had an older Japanese man working for him, who was extremely Westernised and thought he was a bit good. He used to annoy me as he was always putting down his wife, who was a very traditional and gentle Japanese lady. He would continually laugh at her, as he perceived that her mastery of English was bad. However, although she was not a confident English speaker, I liked her and spent many 'afternoon teas' with her. Her English conversation was a little halting, but she could make herself understood perfectly well. On one particular afternoon we were talking about names. Very sweetly she smiled and said:
'My husband - he call me Honey'. I said that was very sweet and a lovely thing to be called. Without batting an eye, she gave a slow smile and said: 'I call husband - Money '. Oh how I laughed - her English was good enough to make a joke based on wordplay and I could never speak to her husband again without giggling to myself.

Enjoy your weekend

XXX
 
After dinner, while the wives were clearing the table the two old gents went into the other room to smoke a cigar. The host mentioned that he and his wife had been to a superb restaurant earlier in the week. His friend asked him the name of it. The host thought for a minute and said, "What is that red flower?" The friend asked, "You mean a lily?" "No, that isn't it!" His friend mentioned, "A carnation?" Again the host said, "No, that's not it!". His friend said, "A Rose?" The host said, "That's it!" and turned his head and called out, "Rose, what was the name of that restaurant we went to earlier this week?"
 
Hi Lisa,
Sounds like you are doing well with work and starting your own business. It will be great when you are your own boss.
My knee is slowly improving, thank goodness.
How are your knees?


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Tom walks into the neighborhood bar only to see his friend Harry crying in his beer. Tom asks, "Harry, what's wrong?" Harry, between sobs, says, "I had a terrible argument with the wife and she swore she wouldn't talk to me for a year!" Tom, smiling, says, "I hear what you are saying but I fail to see the problem." Harry says, "You don't understand! Today is the last day!"
 
Oh, that is a good one @Phil75070 and I needed the laugh today. Thank you! :snork:

I am having a tough go of it this leg around. I know a lot of it is mental but I am beyond frustrated. I had physio today and my flexion is down to 85 degrees and my extension is -3 degrees. I have been stuck at 90 degrees for 7 weeks. I am now at 8 weeks this coming Thursday and I am at 85.

I am not overdoing it - I don't think I am doing enough actually. I spend more time icing and elevating that I have little time to do anything else outside of working. I come home on days I don't have physio and sleep until dinner time. After dinner I take a short walk then I am back icing and elevating before going to bed. It's a good thing my boys don't mind hanging out watching TV and playing cards but it is not the Mom they are used to.

I probably shouldn't be working but at least it is an escape from my misery. I am tired of the meds, tired of not driving and tired of the pain. I have no clue how I will be getting to work and to physio next week when my son is at school and my hubby is working and that is just adding to the frustration.

I am trying to keep a positive attitude but I am just tired. I know there are others that are worse off than me and I still need to give it time. I guess having a good first knee has set the expectation for the second knee and I am using the first knee as the bar. Dumb move that is proving to be. :censored:

Thanks for the jokes and the visits to my thread. It does help. :)
 
I'm sorry you're so frustrated Lisa. I went through the same thing. Still am, truth be told. As Jamie brilliantly pointed out to me when my ROM got 'stuck' and I felt I wasn't doing enough PT or exercise; the sheer process of getting ready for work - showering, dressing, getting to the car, driving, walking to your office, working, blah blah blah is a LOT for your new robo knee. Throw PT on top of all of that and you're actually overdoing! You're not yet 8 weeks sweetie. When my ROM got stuck for several weeks, 2 things helped: I gave myself a knee-cation... with the holiday weekend (oh wait, is it a holiday weekend for you?), take those 3-5 days off from PT. NO exercises aside from gentle stretches. Lots of rest and elevation and ice. The other thing that helped was that I started taking Celebrex (or anything comparable) and that helped with my internal swelling. Although I was scared to do 'nothing' for those 5 days, it actually helped! I think part of the issue is that 'doing nothing' to a 49 year old, looks much different than ACTUALLY 'doing nothing'. ;-) Give yourself a break sweetie. You're doing great and back to work which many of us wouldn't even be able to fathom. xoxoxoxo
 
Ellen has good advice about a kneecation, to let your knee heal. You are doing plenty with out adding in PT, and your "short" walk in the evenings.
Your boy's are fine, they have a Mom who enjoys and wants to spend time with them, not every kid has that.

I am tired of the meds, tired of not driving and tired of the pain.
I will second this statement!
 
Thanks @DogLoverx3 and @Pumpkln - I am just having a pity party.

That is a good idea to take a "Knee-Cation". I will do that over the long weekend - we do have the same holiday - and I am thankful for it. Other than my walking and going in the pool, I do think I will take a break from the exercises. Thanks for the tip.

I am already on Celebrex along with all of the other meds that make up my cocktail. I have been able to cut out the 2:00 am cycle which I am happy about. I think it has something to do with the Hydromorphone I take before bed. I feel it in the morning though! I need to rethink the meds so I can get behind the wheel. I think getting my independence back, will help my emotional state a lot. I drove a bit on Sunday and it was "okay" but I worry about being on meds and driving as well as the fact that my drive is 45 minutes either way.

Right now I am eating popcorn and watching Divergent with the family (minus my oldest boy who is at work). I have my knee in the cryocuff and elevated. Life is good regardless of the knee.
:flwrysmile:
 
@71Beetle It is really hard not comparing your two knees! Hubby gets frustrated that this one has more pain and he isn't walking as good as he did with the first. The first was harder to get his ROM though, and this one is doing great at ROM. No two knees are the same, I agree that it sounds like you are stressing your knee too much and need to give it a break. It probably has some swelling that won't go away until it gets some rest. Don't be so hard on your knee, if it was a broken leg you wouldn't be rushing it, and it had rougher treatment than a broken leg!
 
I get it on Thursday, I chipped a tooth last week, this is the first appt they had. My dentist uses CERC, same day crowns. I will be good to go by dinner.
Too bad our OS can't use CERC, custom fitted right to us, in under an hour.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom