TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

Can't sleep...rereading everyone's threads!
Lisa, you are progressing nicely, I look back at the 4-6 week mark and it had its own set of issues...the first several weeks we are in LaLa land...if we are lucky and have good pain control. And then about a month out it all starts getting old! There is still significant pain followed by a short time of somewhat normalcy. We start to do more and I don't know about you but around my house once I did something again, I was deemed able to do it all the time, ie...dishes, laundry, etc. we also tend to get a little lax with pain meds. I remember one time a few weeks ago I went into my office thinking I would be there 3-4 hours, 6 hours later I was sobbing as I drove home because I hadn't brought any pain meds with me.

Now at 8 weeks I have felt pretty good, but I don't realize how little I really still do. I have been uncomfortable all evening, I felt good early today and was busy not even thinking about doing to much my day was a few errands, PT, which I am working harder at by my choice and then went to grocery shop...came home did as little as possible and iced tonight. I felt kind of like a failure because I took oxycodone when I hadn't been in the last week or so.

So even farther down the road we take two steps up and one step back.

I had my left replaced first and will probably have my right replace sometime in November after my high school daughters final volleyball season...I hate that I am laid up so much during her senior year.

On a lighter note, one day early in the recovery I had a post on Facebook titled, "what do you have in your walker pockets? It was hilarious ! I should screen shoot it and bring it over here.
BTW- I had a crest wisp disposable toothbrush, pain meds, debit card (why, I don't know) TeD hose and something else I don't remember.



4/1/2014 TKR
 
Oh and 2 little chocolates...I think that was the most exciting find in the walker pockets


4/1/2014 TKR
 
@71Beetle , We are happy the Blackhawks won, one more chance. Next game is winner takes all.
We were rooting for Vancouver in 11, and this year Montreal. We would like to see a Canadian team in the Stanley Cup. Maybe next year!
My husband has a soft spot for all the original 6 teams.
I hope you are doing well in your recovery, please take good care,
 
@Tamsmom thanks for dropping by. Sorry you could not sleep. I find I am doing a bit better with sleep but still not at my regular sleep of 6-7 hours without stirring. I am sorry that you are missing out on your daughter's senior year. I am sure she understands. I think when she is older, she will recollect the good times when you were pain-free.

I dont use the walker but I have a small bag that I fling across my body when I go out. It has my phone, my wallet, my lip balm, a pen, a pack of kleenex and a pack of gum. I will have to fit my meds in there when I go back to work. I will have to get a bigger bag as well to accommodate my lunch and my ice packs.

I am going to go back to work next week from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and see how I am. If I feel I can't do it then I will need to take more time off. I have to give it a try though. The bills are not paying themselves. I will be well armed with my ice and meds. I am looking forward to getting a bit of a routine back. Now, if I win the lottery, all plans will change but I can't put much stock into that :)
 
Hi @Pumpkln - a good game last night. Kane with three points, the meeting at the centre line between Crawford and Quick and a Game 7 on Sunday. So entertaining! I will be thinking of you on Sunday - I am still hoping that LA takes it.

So we have a friendly competition. Let's have a fun bet - just for the glory. If LA wins you have to write on my thread that I am the hockey master and LA will win the cup. If Chicago wins I will write on your thread that you are the hockey master and Chicago will win the cup. What do you think? :snork:
 
Hi @Tamsmom, I have a quick question for you. You mentioned you are driving but you are still taking pain killers. What kind of pain killers can you drive on. My OS told me I can't drive if I am taking my Tramadol or Oxycotone. I am itching for the freedom my car would give me. My husband is going to drive me to work and my son will pick me up but it would be so much easier if I could drive! I don't think I could last very long without my pain meds though - I am still taking them pretty regularly.
 
I probably drove too soon...about 3 weeks after, my husband was too busy to come and get me for an errand and said he would send someone from his office and I thought I am not going to be chauffeured around by some employee of his. I got to my car and told myself that if I felt uncomfortable or unsure of anything at the time I got to the big street I would turn around. I was fine for the most part!

I only take 5 mg of oxycodone occasionally otherwise it's Tylenol. Even when I was taking the 5 mg dose every five or so hours I didn't feel like it impaired my driving!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
I only take 5 mg of oxycodone occasionally otherwise it's Tylenol. Even when I was taking the 5 mg dose every five or so hours I didn't feel like it impaired my driving!


4/1/2014 TKR

That's the thing - I need to cut down on the meds. My mind says yes but my pain says no :nah:
 
Just woke up from a two hour nap. The year end hockey party was a success! 40 people (including 25 kids ranging from 10-14 years). Who knew sitting and socializing could be so exhausting! At least I did not have to do the cleanup. I may milk this recovery even longer than necessary :)

I am finding my ROM is going backward. I have been doing my exercises but the skin across my knee seems so tight. I am sure it is not actually the skin but the tissue but the feeling is best explained this way. Does anybody else have this issue? What can I do to keep the ROM improving. I do my heel slides regularly and bend as much as I can. The extension is really good but the flexion is tough.
 
I am finding my ROM is going backward. I have been doing my exercises but the skin across my knee seems so tight. I am sure it is not actually the skin but the tissue but the feeling is best explained this way. Does anybody else have this issue? What can I do to keep the ROM improving. I do my heel slides regularly and bend as much as I can. The extension is really good but the flexion is tough.

Rest more?
It's still very early days for you and you are doing a lot of things that some people leave until later.

Remember, you can't make your knee heal faster. It will do it in its own sweet time. However, you can slow down your recovery by doing too much.
 
I agree. This is where the mantra shines! Rest, ice elevate. Easy heel slides and give it time and voila, you should feel better. Your knee will tell you when it wants to be pushed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @JustJeff and @Celle - I know I have to be patient but I have been improving steadily so it is annoying to slide backward. Like I see many times on this forum, this too will pass. Appreciate your support! :)
 
What a gorgeous day! Sat out by the pool and soaked up some rays. Cannot wait to get into the pool. My knee is really tight but I am doing my exercises. Nervous about going to work tomorrow. Good thing it is only from 10am to 2pm this week. I hope it goes well.
 
I'm sure you can soak your feet in there (unless your OS was incision happy :) )

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@71Beetle I cannot believe you are going back to work this soon! Now that I am retired, "golf" is now my job. I get up early and go, weather permitting, every day Monday through Friday just like a I did when I worked for a living. As much as I love the game and was itching to go play there is no way I could have done it as soon as you are going back to work. Take it as easy as you can, elevate and ice if you can. Good luck!
 
@JustJeff I could stick my feet in but knowing my luck I would fall in, or if sat by the pool I would not be able to get back up! :heehee:

@Phil75070 That is my plan when I retire - golf. Perhaps not 5 days a week but at least 2 or 3. I was unable to golf last year and it is out for this year as well but next year will be a different story. I am trying work this week but will see how it goes. Thanks for your support.
 
I wish we lived near each other. We would be driving off of the "knees tees. "

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Do you have a membership at one course or do you try different ones in your neighbourhood?
 
@71Beetle

I think your knee is trying to give you a message by being tight. It's saying that you are trying to do too much.

Please don't compromise your recovery by rushing back to work. Your knee isn't ready for it.
 
Back
Top Bottom