Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks BarbaraR You're really a sweetheart. Sounds good that you're cutting back to 4 days. I could never go back to work yet. I wonder if I'll ever go back at all.....but that's not very optimistic of me, is it!? The stiffness in both of the hips is still there, although better each week. I wonder how long that can last? Any info on that?
We rented Life of Pi yesterday. Some of the visuals were gorgeous, but it was a bit over the top for me. The rest of my family liked it. And I really liked the book when I read it some years ago.

Littlejem How's everything going 'across the pond' ? Yes, right about now it seems that two hips at one time is alot to take on, but that's the path I took, so here I am. I hope you find yourself improving. I notice a difference for me by the week, not so much by the day. I've improved alot, but of course I'm not where I want to be. Takes time.

zauberflöte Howdy! Annie Hall would be funny to watch again because it would look so dated. Wasn't it from the 70's? Ahhh, the good ole days. How are you? Behaving yourself. (hope not) I have to check out Littlejems thread and see how you're doing with the limericks. I'm not on this website much, so I'm probably holding you guys up. Weezi 's having fun with it! Isn't she sweet? It's funny how you can tell people's personalities just by these threads.

Well, I'm getting a blister on my right big toe, and that's the leg that pains me, which tells me that the OS must've corrected my walk. I was walking sort of on the outsides of my feet before surgery, (a little bowlegged), so the "correction" must be straining some muscles or joints. The PT will evaluate it today. This guy is great. I went to him all last summer for back pain, which of course was related to my hips. When he'd give me an exercise he'd always say "pay attention to pain or fatigue, and stop". Now, that's a lot different than some of the stories I've read here about PTs. Poor Weezi - I read your story about your PT from a little while ago. It's awful how these therapists act like it's a personal accomplishment for them if you progress according to their agenda. And I was happy to read that Josephine said that these hips have a way of working themselves out, without all of this PT (pain & torture.)

1. There once was PT from Mars...
 
Allycat Hello, hon! Welcome to the forum. Crying? Normal? YES! I spent the whole 2nd weekend crying. I cried one afternoon because my husband was cooking and I didn't like the smell, so I cried! And every now and then, I cry, just because I'm feeling depressed or upset that things still hurt, etc. So don't worry about crying, we all have done it, or are still doing it. One of the moderators for this forum will give you some links that explain a lot and will also address the blues.
It sounds like you're coming along just great after such a complicated surgery. I'm not showering standing up yet, and I'm 3 weeks post. I had my surgery March 4th. And you're walking around with only a walking stick, or with nothing? Terrific. How's the pain? Do you have physical therapy?
You must be from across the pond (UK) if you call it a 'walking stick' ! I've learned that much from the forum. Here in the USA we call it a cane. My forum friend, clifford149 ,who is from the UK explained it to me. You'll have to look up his forum, he's doing well, too.
Keep posting Allycat , we can all share stories and cry together! Take care.
 
ByGosh,
I am literally laughing out loud :rotfl: about your crying over the way your husband's cooking smelled. I can't stop laughing, now I have tears in my eyes. I think it's hilarious because I have felt the same way about my husband's cooking. I usually just wince though. Oh, I hope it tickles Allycat too! Sounds like she could use a :giggle: !
I'm thinking on the PT from Mars, gotta make this a good one!
 
Weezi It only hurts when I laugh...
Let's get a second line for that PT from Mars. Where's zauberflöte?
Who's thread is this that we're writing on? All these threads, I can't keep them straight -- I feel like a seamstress! :heehee:
Weezi How do you "tag" someone here on these forums? I can't figure that out yet.

My husband does the cooking now. And, bless his heart, he tries, but I have a hard time with it. I don't like giving up my "domain" and he oftentimes tries to get "creative". Poor guy! He's feeding us, though! For some reason, the smell of things get to me now -- I get sort of nauseous. Must be the meds.
 
We are on your thread. All you have to do to tag is what your already doing the ByGosh - see there I just tagged you. I get an alert when you type Weezi that's how I know to check it.
 
Oops accidentally hit post reply and I wasn't finished... Duh! Ditto on giving up your domain. My husband has been cooking too and he loves to put black olives in everything! I like them alright but come on. LOL I guess he thinks - Have black olives, will cook! I made spaghetti the other night and my youngest was elated that I was going to cook. He started doing flips and cartwheels, hilarious! The first few weeks after surgery my husband would bring dinner to me and it's all I could do just to try it. Thankfully my dog Sasha was near by, she'll eat anything. :heehee: Gotta love these hubby's though!
 
ByGosh Hope your therapy went well today. I asked the pt if could abandon the cane and he said no. Hopefully he doesn't find out I've been walking without it all weekend. The equipment there is so old, I sometimes fear for my life. Are you still taking pain meds? I take a tramadol before pt, just to make sure.

Weezi Black olives are about the only food I will NOT eat haha. There is just something about them that I don't like. I love pickled foods though. My father makes his own and I refuse to eat them.
 
smrt2run,
Ha! We are never lacking for cans of black olives! We do love pickled foods, especially artichoke hearts!
 
1. There once was a PT from Mars
2. Who liked to work out on stars
3. Whilst attempting the clam
4. How I tried to be the Ham
5. And perform while eating black olives from jars! :)

Weezi smrt2run that ones for you!
 
smrt2run PT was good, thanks for asking. He did a thorough evaluation, and things seem to be ok. He said to slow down, there's no hurry, keep using the cane, I'm doing too much and doing it without a cane, too, so that's what is causing my leg pains. He said things need time to heal, there's metal in there that the bones and muscles need to get used to. Makes sense. He gave me some exercises, and stresses that if they hurt, don't do them. And if I get pain after doing anything, I did too much. He also showed me some sleeping positions that may work for me (I'm anterior.) I'll see him 3x week for awhile. He's very professional, about 62-63, been doing PT all his life, very conservative. I feel confident with him. I know I've been rushing things here, just because I want to get better. But I am doing too much, too soon, and it hurts. So I need to rest more and heal more and go slower. After all, I'm not 24 anymore! :)
Yes, I still need pain pills. Less and less, but I take them when I need them. Following the BoneSmart Mantra...Also when I'm in pain, I'm not a happy person, so the more comfortable I feel, the better for everyone, including me. After all, I'm not 24 anymore! LOL again. :)
 
Bravo ByGosh Bravo! Littlejem, zauberflöte I think we did quite well on that one! Practice makes perfect. Kim22 you need to come and join us. In keeping with the theme, I thought we could start with this one.
1. As a lover of pickled food

You walked right into the Limmericks smrt2run so come on and join the fun! Ha
 
Littlejem What, pray tell, is "the clam"??? Is it some type of exercise? Do I need to be from your side of the pond to understand it? Or am I just being lame again???

Weezi How's your PT and recovery going? I should find your thread, but I can't keep them straight. It's great that you were able to cook. I made some apple cake yesterday with my daughter and it was yummy. No black olives, though, so your hubby wouldn't like it. :)
 
clifford149 How are you doing? I can't seem to find your thread. Can anyone out there help me to locate specific people's threads? I think I had a brain replacement, not a hip replacement!
 
Here it is zauberflöte The Pt from Mars one is finished. Pretty good, huh?
Now Weezi has started another -- She likes pickles.. SHould we change it to the usual limerick form --- there once was a..... c'mon smrt2run, join in the fun. (can't help rhyming)

1. There once was a pickled food lover (that should be easy to rhyme)
 
Hi thanks ByGosh......seems you have a great pt.....its difficult to judge how much exercise apart from if it hurts stop....I am doing 5 rep incremental every two days....I suspect as muscles begin to wake up they will start to complain...will let you all know how my first pt goes this Wednesday...as for tomorrow its to get my border collie Sky. :) clifford
 
ByGosh
Hi, and thanks for replying to me. I’m still a little weepy today but feel better knowing it is normal to feel this way. My pain is well under control, just a slight twinge if I do too much. I’m from Australia, and my hospital assigned a physiotherapist to me who has been coming to my house every 2nd day since the op. He has been wonderful in helping me to walk ‘normally’ again. Today will be his last visit because he says I am too good. To strengthen my operated leg, his favourite exercise is step-ups. I use my front door step, hold onto the frame then step up with op leg first, then good leg. Step down with op leg, then good leg. Gradually let go with one hand… then the aim is to use no hands hold on. Not quite up to that, and I still step up and down like Frankenstein! But I’m getting there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom