Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching a THR on YouTube, I decided to pick the biggest, strongest doctor I could find. My guy is about 6'7" and has HUGE hands. I figured he would be good with the saw and hammer, and he wouldn't skimp on a sufficient incision to find all the landmarks with those big finders. I told him so afterward. :-)
 
I do hope you are feeling a bit better - you sound pretty typical for a BTHR based on all the posts here & my own experience. I had both my hips done in Sept & I too needed blood post op. I actually wanted to get it if my numbers were low cuz I wanted the "pick me up" it can give you. I was still taking pain meds 5 weeks after the surgery - now not as much or as frequently as the 1st week but I'm a true believer that managing pain speeds recovery. I had tree trunks for thighs for a couple of weeks but I must admit I never had deep hip pain. But there wasn't a muscle, ligament or tendon in either leg that didn't scream at me as I was trying to walk normally again. Mood swings were the norm also. For me, having 2 done at once was no walk in the park but now 6 months down the road there is very little I cannot do. And I don't think I'm near done with my recovery yet. Hang in there - it does get better!
 
What happens in the OR, stays in the OR.. no need to think about about the hardware used.. recovery is the focus for most of us post surgery :)
 
I agree, @ Poppet. Thank you, that's very true.

dtmbf - Thanks for writing, your post is very helpful to me! I tend to get anxious and worry about things. I need reassurance that what I'm experiencing is typical. Yes, tree trunk thighs (I call them cement blocks, same difference!), and the crying, and needing pain meds, and trying to walk, but it's so awkward, etc. Just to know that someone else had the same experience helps me to feel less anxious about what's happening to me right now. I appreciate very much you sharing that with me! Glad you're doing well now and it's good to know that 6 mos. makes a world of difference. Keep up the good work during your recovery, and I hope to hear from you again. Take care and thanks.
 
Hello Everyone,
Today is two weeks after my BTHR on March 4th, and I can see that there's been a big improvement since 1 week ago. Beginning this weekend, I can walk around with a cane most of the time, using the walker more at night. I still have pain which requires pain meds 3-4/day, but a week ago my legs were so heavy I couldn't lift them by myself to put them on the bed - they had to be picked up by someone. They felt like two big cement blocks, very heavy and stiff. That feeling has gotten less and less, although they're still stiff, and standing straight up is something I need to think about in order to do, or else I'm bent forward a bit. There's no swelling except right at the incision lines (anterior), but I bet there's swelling inside where the implants are - that's probably why they're so tight.
I seem to be getting pain in the right knee when I've been up, and down both of the outside thighs. And of course in the incision areas and the groins. I'm thinking it's partly the thigh muscles, as they were weak even before surgery, and the right knee had referrred pain before, too. But it's not severe and I'm trying to accept it as part of the whole healing process and the rebuilding and healing of muscles, etc. that had gotten weak and were stretched during surgeriy.
I'm still nauseous most of the time, and I'm starting to think it's the Coumadin. Only 1 week left of that so I'm hoping the feeling goes away with the med. I'm also so tired. I get up in the morning, shower, dress and come downstairs, and most days sleep on the couch alot of the morning, on and off. Of course, like everyone else, I'm not sleeping well most nights, and I had a very low hemoglobin and hematocrit after surgery. I think that takes time to build back up. I try a bit of liquid Benadryl to put me back to sleep when I've woken up at night. It seems to help some, but I can't get into a comfy position no matter what. I can't lay on either side because of the incisions, and my left leg feels like it's pulling in the groin when I straighten it out all the way.
I can see that each of these issues have improved, though, and hope that I'll see more improvement week by week.

It sure seems to be a process that will take time and patience.
I hope you are all seeing your own progress as the days and weeks go by. Let me know how you're doing and if what I'm experiencing are things you are or have also experienced during your recovery. (Misery loves company!)
 
Slowly and surely does it ByGosh. You are doing the right thing to listen to your body - if it tells you to rest, then it's telling you for a reason!

I also had knee problems initially, but I think that went away for me after the second week. I'm fairly sure it must at least in part relate to what went on during the op, but I'd rather not know...
 
ByGosh I've noticed the not being comfortable aspect is by far the worst part of the entire process. Do you have to sit on an awful cushion or pillows? I can't stand it, it's so uncomfortable. I feel weird not being on lovenox or Coumadin. My doctor has me just on straight aspirin.
 
[Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral smrt2run, a lot of OSs have their patients use asprin, which is a good blood thinner. And on top of that you're up and about. It's not like you're sitting all day with legs down or just lying in bed all day with little or not movement. So blood clots are not a big concern at this point in time.

The inability to get comfortable will last for a while, particularly in the wee hours of the morning when you just want to sleep. That's the reason for mind numbing TV during the day to catnap by and to watch in the wee hours and hopefully let you catnap some more. Catnaps are a must until you can finally sleep all night again. Not being able to get comfortable and to sleep for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time are by far the biggest complaints kneesies have. Time will take care of it----a lot of time.

Hang in there and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
 
Hi smrt2run, How is it being back at home? I hope things are going good for you. My doc only put me on the Coumadin for 3 weeks post op, so you'd almost be finished by now anyway. And each surgeon is different with their individual preferences. Like bottomshollow said, aspirin is a good blood thinner- it's the first thing recommended to take if someone thinks they're having a heart attack. So your good.
I don't have to sit on a special cushion although I do have an inflatable plasticky thing if I want it, which I rarely do. Just plain sitting is uncomfortable, like at the kitchen table in a regular chair to eat. I use a gel cushion, but there's something about the angle or the hip position that puts too much pressure on the groin for me, and kills me. So I've taken alot of my meals semi reclining on the couch. And the sleeping or not sleeping is annoying. Waking up in the middle of the night, can't roll over, getting up hurts, legs can't get settled right. I can't wait til that fixes itself.

Firebrand - yes, I bet a lot of these aches and pains are related to surgery in some way - I just have to wait and see what gets better, and what I may have to learn to live with. You're a little over 3 weeks post op, right? How are you doing now? Can you roll onto the operated side to sleep?
 
ByGosh Things are going pretty well. The restrictions are annoying, the pillow between the legs doesn't help with the sleeping either. Excited to start outpatient pt on Wednesday. I finally am able to lay on the right side for a few minutes (the right actually feels fine, it's the left that's the problem) but other than that I'm still so happy that its done. Hope your doing well too.
 
BarbaraR Hi, I haven't written in my own thread in quite awhile. I've been writing in other peoples forums.
You gave me a link to the 100 funniest movies, but I can't seem to find it. Would you mind posting it for me again? Thank you, I appreciate it! I'm getting quite bored here.
How are you doing? You're back to work already? Wow, good for you. You must get tired, though. I'm still tired, and having pain. Tomorrow is 3 weeks for me, but I'm able to walk fine without a cane, and am up doing light housework. I'm sure that's all contributing to the pain, but I'm not so weak now, and I want to do things. I start out-patient PT tomorrow, so we'll see what he says.
Take care now. And thanks for the movie info! :SUNsmile:
 
ByGosh, here you go. broken link removed: https://movies.yahoo.com/100-movies-to-see-before-you-die/100-funniest-movies/. Enjoy.
I'm doing well. I went back to work on the 11 th (4 weeks), and in hindsight I think it was too soon and too much. I'm going to cut back to 4 days a week through April. Sounds like you're doing great. Good luck with PT. Hope you have a great week! XO
 
You've really been through it haven't you and having both done at the same time is bound to take it out of you, I'm glad to hear 'things' are at least getting slightly better. I think everything is far worse if you're not getting enough sleep though and hope you are taking it whenever you can. Take care x
 
Hello, I have just found this forum while searching "post-op blues".
I am 52, and had left THR on 5th March. There were minor complications during surgery as my joint had fused and my surgeon tells me he had a hard time dislocating the joint. I was in hospital for 7 days, leaving on 2 crutches. It is now 3 weeks post op and I have been doing well. I use my walking stick outside, and inside the house can get around for a bit using nothing. I can shower standing up, get in and out of bed easily and do minor housework.
So today, out of nowhere, I am crying. I'm wondering if this is normal, and if anyone else is or has experienced this.
Allycat
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom