Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
@zauberflote Thanks for the site. I will check it out. I ended with Chemistry in 11th, then fulfilled a science requirement in college with geology to avoid dissecting a pig. Started reading sci-fi at around 10 or 11. Still read sci-fi and mysteries, and I am indeed ignorant about science; not so hot at math either.
 
Wow, I want that bench, Nylsor, and I don't even have a garden! Thank you for posting the link. I did read your thread,by the way, and am sorry I have never posted to you to tell you how glad I was to hear that your days of crying had ended. I was moved by your story. I hope you are doing well.
ByGosh, Songlady, Nylsor, LeeApril26, sandybeach ... too bad we can't go to the movies and see "Quartet" together.

LeeApril26, I am so happy to find out you like Barbara Pym, too. I would love to reread her novels, from first to last. I've had her on my mind lately not only because of encountering British terms here, but ... don't laugh: Because I have always thought Jean Stapleton could play Barbara if there were a bio-pic made of her life. (And there should be one: Talk about comebacks; this is one of the best literary comeback stories....) She resembles her a little bit. Now that I am the age of some of the senior characters, it would be interesting to revisit them now. When I first encountered her books I was in my twenties. I would love to know what any of our British co-hipsters think of her books...... Gosh, can't you just see how Babs would handle a THR patient's "journey" and recovery if she were writing about it: the Toenails! the Toilet Riser! the TED stockings!
 
Peaches. I own a couple, so may start them sometime this summer. I have been ordering ebooks from the library and have about 100 on my to read list-10 holds at a time. They arrive randomly. So I feel this pressure to read the ebooks-I'm nuts. I stopped getting real books from the library as I couldn't carry them.

Jean Stapleton would have been a good choice. I see her surrounded by hollyhocks and a trellis with roses. Have you read any of Angela Thirkiell's novels based on the families from the Anthony Trollope Novels? She writes about England from the early 1930s through the 50s. Country life. Anglophile's delight.
 
Peaches Songlady LeeApril26 and anyone I missed - Going to the movies with everyone would be a real treat! You never know, maybe "by this time next year..." That's one of my favorite sayings for this hip situation, which I picked up from another 'BoneSmartonian' (Peaches word). Because we must look toward the future and not get caught up in the present, especially if things aren't going our way right now.
Well, I guess I'm the only one who hasn't read Barbara Pym.:sad: Yet. ("by this time next year...")
LeeApril26 you've given me a great idea - the library e-books. I was considering buying Dr. Bolte's book on the ipad, which I really don't like to do, as no one else here reads them when the books are on a tablet. So borrowing it that way is perfect. And free. I'll also look up Barbara Pym. Whew, I can hardly keep up with you intellectuals. :)
 
ByGosh, I am no intellectual. I am not even literary. I tend to reread favorites. Pym is one of those you either like or don't like. At least that's how it was when I was in my twenties talking to others in their twenties. I would recommend Pym to someone and would either get a thumbs-up or a "What were you thinking recommending her to me? She is so depressing!" Pym has a wry sense of humor, I guess you would say--@LeeApril26? Definitely self-deprecating. It's from the late 50s early 60s, about middle aged or older people who were sometimes a little or a lot out of step with a changing world. Read about her on Wikipedia if you want to see if she is your cup of (make that cuppa) tea. LeeApril26: I was often told that Anita Brookner is a lot like Pym ... but I never felt that was quite true. I couldn't finish any of her books. I am clearly unable to sleep (2 a.m.) despite sleeping again with my work clothes on for "just a minute" after dinner. I cannot wait until the weekend so I can take a long summer's nap.

ByGosh: How are you?????????? I am way behind in following and answering posts and it makes me sick. But I think of you all and am hoping things are going okay. Please bear with me.
 
ByGosh, LeeApril26, Peaches I haven't read Barbara Pym either, so you're not the only one. My son downloaded a free Kindle app onto my tablet so I can borrow the Kindle books, but.... I haven't tried yet. Going to a movie sounds great! I am bad at getting to movies. There are so many I'd like to see!
 
Hey all you bookies, I feel left out. I am just now discovering Mary Higgins Clark. I will have to get a Barbara Pym from the library and see if I like her writing. I think "by next year" we will be ready to go to that movie. Maybe we will have to pick one and all of us go see it and then we can write our reviews on it here like we all went together.
 
sandybeach ByGosh Songlady Peaches. Cool! what about a virtual book and movie group. I like it. And, I am so not an intellectual-no deep thoughts here, just an obsessive reader. My extended family was loving but LOUD. I spent lots of time with them hiding with a book. It is still my favorite thing to do. Never got into TV much, though I do have a few favorites.
Have not read Clark or Brookner. Have read and re-read books and authors I like. Peaches, I agree about Barbara Pym. I when I read her in my 20s the women seemed so different that it was a peek into another world. Sorry you had another bad night. I took an Ambien and it worked, so six hours of oblivion.
 
Songlady did you see the movie Identity thief? It's coming out on DVD in a few days, I would recommend that to rent and see....it's a funny one. LeeApril26 I wonder to do a cyber going to the movies together, if we could start that up in the social area. ByGosh or Liveringer would know how about doing that.
 
Hi.....I stockpiled around 6 books to read during my confinement but only read 2 and that was in weeks 6 -8 postop. For the first 6 weeks I just dident feel like reading.....listened to the radio and played music all on my smart phone!.....
 
@everybody it's not at all difficult to start a new thread anywhere, including social. :)
I just checked, Identity Thief is not available for streaming... waahhhhh. but we have two that we want to see as a family-- the new Star trek one, Into Darkness (or like that), and wait, yesterday i knew-- oh yeah Quartet-- well, we;d have to bribe the ZK to go to that one for sure. I'm probably the only Star trek groupie here...heh heh
Angela Thirkiell's novels
oh, gotta write that down! My library is a 4 minute drive, right next to the Y and what I hope will be my op PT place. Thanks for the recommendation!
Peaches I'm hoping i get to your thread before long-- I just work my way through and some days can't get to even most of the threads I want! I kinda thought you were back at work next week-- so I MUST go check! :)
ByGosh I want to know how you're doing too? Any even tiny improvement? Your patience inspires me.... hurry up and wait, while applying ice.... :)
 
sandybeach Songlady LeeApril26 Peaches zauberflöte clifford149 That's really an excellent idea about a movie group! Some of us aren't too much into reading after surgery as clifford149 mentioned, myself, too. But a movie is pretty easy to do. I would love to see Quartet and jabber about it here. I don't think it's on DVD yet, but I'm not sure. Let's check, and then plan it. Oh, how fun! We'll have something to do...:)
And thanks for the movie tip about Identity Thief. I like funny movies, but I'm not so much into the raunchy ones.

Well, zauberflöte and everyone -I rested and iced and medicated after my setback on Sunday, - after swimming those 3 days in a row. And I started to feel better, so I went to the pool again and did very gentle paddling around, and walked in the water 5". Now that shouldn't hurt me, should it? I hope not! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be very hopeful if I can start to improve and at least paddle a little!

Peaches Darling dear, when do you go back to work? We have to give you a big send off before you return. I'll make delicious homemade chocolate brownies from scratch - nuts or no nuts? What else should we 'bring' . Someone can do the rhubarb crisp, maybe, zauberflöte can bring fresh pineapple :) - we'll figure it out for our Peaches who has been so entertaining and kind to all of us. And good idea to read Barbara Pym on Wikipedia - I actually did look her up, but didn't read it all, so I'll have to revisit that.
 
ByGosh. Ah, Identity Thief is the film I forgot to mention in the Social Group post. thanks!
 
I am impressed that so many of you seem to like UK writers and our "culture". I wonder if you might like one of my favourite books: Dear Lupin, by Roger Mortimer.

It is a collection of letters sent by Roger Mortimer to his wayward son Charles, over a period spanning the late 60s to the mid-80s. It is truly evocative of the period, and of a particular type of Englishman, who I suppose I might describe as Upper Middle Class. I first heard excerpts on the radio when it was Book of the Week, and bought it to take to hospital for my first revision op.

I love it. However, I have no idea how it would come across to a US audience. Possibly a bit baffling! We are, after all, "two nations divided by a common language". Anyway, there is more about the book at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/9243692/Dear-Lupin-Letters-to-a-Wayward-Son-by-Roger-Mortimer-and-Charlie-Mortimer-review.html
 
glynis It sounds very interesting, thanks for the tip. I remember I read 84 Charing Cross Road many moons ago, and loved it. I find the way of life that the British share to be charming.
@LeeApril 26 You reminded me to look up our public library and figure out e-books, thanks.
 
sandybeach, no, I haven't seen Identity Thief.... we borrow Netflix movie dvds, but we've had one for about a month now.... no, more..... because apparently we need some cable. Otherwise we need to unhook the cable box and rehook the dvd player and.... it's all too much to fool with right now. Hopefully the Son will actually tell us what cable we need one of these days so we can watch again. (He streams, we watch dvds.... ho well.)
glynis, thanks for the book recommendations! I'll look into Mortimer! I agree with 2ByGosh; many people I know are absolutely charmed by what is portrayed as British life (at least in fiction! :heehee: )
ByGosh, I've been hoping to hear how you fared from your little bit of pool exercise... was that yesterday? I think I could do pool exercise in my driveway about now.....
I sure feel as if the cool, rainy weather is making me feel sore all over, although part of my feeling may come from being slightly chilly and sort of... tensing to keep warm....? I just lit a few scented candles for atmosphere.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom