Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
djklaugh It's helpful to hear your perspective, especially since you're a bilateral, too. I do hope you're right. I just can't seem to get anywhere, though. And I'm really not rushing. I spend most everyday on the couch with ice. Well, more later. I'll come and visit your thread at some point soon, and see what's going on and how your recovery has been.
 
Hi ByGosh yes rhubarb comes back each year.....when it gets large enough you can dig it up and divide with a spade and have 2 or 3 plants....as for cooking cut off the leaves...they are said to be poisoness the cut into 3 inch chunks then stew in water 15 minutes . I don't use sugar .....saltanas and maybe some honey... I wouldent say its bitter by itself....tart.....rhubarb pie....yummy
 
ByGosh and djklaugh its so good to get feedback from someone with experience!! clifford149 where do you live I want some of your rhubarb plant, whenever I've bought it it's died so your sounds really robust!! I add a little nutmeg or ginger to it, yum yum!!
I know Songlady where ever you go involves such a lot of walking and when you add it all up you've ended up doing far more than you intended!! :sad:
 
clifford149 - I didn't know rhubarb could be divided! I am not sure my plant is big enough yet, but I am going to go and look! Wow, thanks!
Our joke at home is that each year my husband gives up strawberry-rhubarb pie for Lent. (Neither is in season yet at Lent, so having strawberry-rhubarb pie is not an option anyway! :wink: )
ByGosh - yes, I have heard/watched several TED talks. They're great - good speakers, good topics, not too long!
Have you found the chart for progression for Bi-lats? If not I can hunt it down for you.... which still doesn't excuse the pain you are having! I hope your appointment next week sheds some light on this.
I had another back spasm issue this morning, and I would not say I overdid yesterday. I mentioned my errands and the walking, but it was broken up, so it did not feel like "too much" (certainly not like the street fair last Saturday!) .... however, now for 3 mornings in a row I've had these muscle spasms. Hmmm, go figure. Some of this is just a mystery....
 
Songlady Just a quick post for now - I watched Dr. Bolte's talk last nite on Ted.com and found it riveting. I had trouble navigating the site for more interesting talks. Can you recommend any? I'd appreciate that. Haha Mr. Songman - he sure knows how to do lent!
I wonder if your sleeping position has anything to do with the back spasms? Have you tried Poppet's suggestion of a small pillow at the small of your back? I don't know if that sounds too comfy...but I believe it helped her backache. Maybe that walking was a little much, even tho you did lots of nice rests in between? It really is a mystery - more of a rubik's cube, which I could never do anyway. TTYL
 
Hi ByGosh, hmm, not sure about the small pillow... we have a wonderfully cushioned mattress, so I have felt very lucky - no complaints about sleeping on my back! And the spasm was happening even when I had the pillow under my knees in those first weeks.... hmm. I may never know! lol:hairpulling:
I'll see what other TED talks I might have stashed somewhere, bookmarked or ones that friends have emailed links for me...
Right, rubik's cube! :loll:
 
Littlejem Hello there! How are doing lately? I read about your knees bothering you over on Elsoarabrab's thread. Too bad, it seems like we all have something, doesn't it? I posted a little info on her thread that I was told by an OS that you might find helpful. I bet your knees get a lot better, though, after you get your new hip and your gait is improved. Alot of the stress on the knees may be relieved.
 
Oh and thanks Songlady for looking around for more Ted.com lectures. Did you happen to also read Dr. Bolte's book, too like Lenora? I'm going to see if it's on ipad - easier for me. They let you sample it, and read the first few chapters - very handy. I can usually tell by them if I want to read the whole book.
 
ByGosh tis is quite the busy thread! How come all of you get all around everybody's threads every day and I plod along in my drugged fog only thinking i've gotten everybody?:rotfl: it is definitely time to be rid of this percocet, brainwise, but not bodywise, sigh.
I don't think there would be any better therapy than hydro
Maeve would you want to share what you do in hydro? I joined the nearby YMCA recently, and they have a therapy pool which is kept warmer than the laps pool. I am looking forward to water therapy and just plain messing around...

Anyone here a Barbara Pym fan?
memememememememe!!! Although it's been a few years.
 
sandybeach Today I got down on the floor to get something from a cupboard floor and then realised there wasn't a suitable chair in the room to push up on to get back up up so I had to rely on the old "Downward Dog " to get back up and it was fine.I felt good about that but just wondering if I will be able to get off the floor normally some time in the future.Perhaps someone else further on in this experience can answer that question ?
Hi Kim22 sandybeach I' m not sure if I'm violating any rules on this site and I certainly have nothing whatever to do comercially with this company but I've come across the most amazing bit of kit that I now use inside and outside the home. It's made by a company called Drapers. The company who I bought it from is based in the UK but I'm sure they sell similar items in stores in the US. It's designed for gardeners but I've used it for cleaning out the bottom of cupboards, cleaning my oven and for weeding / planting borders and helping on my husband's allotment. And also for sitting on when I'm whacked! It folds flat so doesn't take up any room. If you use it for kneeling the two sturdy sides are ideal for pushing yourself up from a kneeling position and the kneeling pad is comfortable. Turn it over and it's a comfy, sturdy seat. Here are the details:
robertdyas.co.uk Draper Kneeler and seat product code 160067 £9.99 + postage
Hello@ByGosh - sorry you're not good - thinking of you - you've been so kind and supportive to me, so many kind thoughts go to you, dear:flwrysmile:
 
Peaches ByGosh. I read and enjoyed Barbara Pym's novels years ago, and was just thinking I'd like to read them again. Funny to read the post-Peaches is a mind reader as well as an inventor,
I think the film Quartet is about older performers who reunite or perhaps unite to perform again. Don't know more than that.
 
Yes, LeeApril26, and since I spend some time in the world of performers, I thought I'd enjoy Quartet!
Kim22 sandybeach, @Nylsor,@ByGosh
I have something I got from Gardener's Supply in the US that is very similar... https://www.gardeners.com/Deep-Seat-Garden-Kneeler/40-009,default,pd.html
Ooooh... I received it for Mother's Day a number of years ago and had idea it was so expensive! (Maybe it wasn't, at that point!) But I have used it a lot outdoors; it never occurred to me to use it inside!
sandybeach, as far as the future.... I can only say that the summer after my first hip was done, I was doing major gardening, being on my knees as needed without giving it a thought, and - that was the summer we ended up hiking up hands-and-knees rockface up part of a mountain! The new hip never gave me a twinge, even though the rest of me ached quite a bit!:rotfl:
 
ByGosh, here's a listing of TED talks with capsules: https://www.ted.com/talks. At the top of this page,to the center/right, there are listings, and if you click on "speakers" you can peruse names (alpha order by last name) of people who have given them.
I have watched the one we mentioned, and one by Michael Tilson Thomas broken link removed: https://www.ted.com/talks/michael_tilson_thomas_music_and_emotion_through_time.html
and Eric Whitacre's virtual choir, broken link removed: https://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/eric_whitacre_a_virtual_choir_2_000_voices_strong.html
and... I'm not finding bookmarks for the others I've heard.......hmmmm....
 
ByGosh Songlady Nylsor LeeApril26 Peaches sandybeach @anybodyIforgot
Edit: Huh! Half my post got lost! I looked up Quartet to find the plot, but I guess if I mention it the post will disappear again bwahaha...so, while on the topic of new movies, I continued: One of the 'desk ladies" at my OS office this morning was a dead ringer for Kess from Voyager, and i told her so. She said it was intentional only not Kess but some character with a walk-on role in this new movie, who looks just like her. Goody goody two movies for outings!!!!!!
Ros, if I had that bench (which I've seen at Gardener's Supply too) I'd drape my body over it for cleaning out the closet LOL never mind kneeling! it would be helpful when scrubbing the bathtub, too !
 
Thanks, Nylsor for that great bench info. It's ok to share products on this site that have worked for you. It's helpful to everyone. And thank you for your well-wishes. I'm glad you're doing so well now.
Songlady Thanks for the link and the tips on other ted talks. I'll check them out tonight.
LeeApril26 I downloaded a sample of Dr. Bolte's book about her stroke on my ipad. Did you like the book? I'm considering purchasing it to read and wondered how you found it to be. Also, I very much enjoyed Dr. Bolte's talk. Do you have other Ted talks you'd recommend? Thanks!
zauberflöte I'm not sure what Voyager is (a new Star Trek movie, I'd guess) or who Kess is, either, so I'm clueless, but will look them both up, so I don't sound so uninformed.:)
 
ByGosh I liked her book very much. It is short-less than 200 pages, and she writes quite clearly. Her mother is a hero of the story, and her comeback heartwarming and very hard work. I read that book and one about a doctor in Somalia (Keeping Hope Alive) fairly soon after the surgery. Since then mostly mysteries.
I have viewed mostly science stuff on TED, as my science education ended with a geology course when I was a college freshman, so I find stuff on DNA and other topics never covered in my education very fascinating. Can't offer any names though, as the have flown out of my brain.
 
ByGosh I'm wondering if I'm not a closet Trekkie! LOL Voyager is a Star Trek from the, um, 90's? And Kess is a charaacter on it, and I edited that post to show that half of it disappeared. The half that made that "Kess" comment make sense:rotfl:
LeeApril26 do you know phys.org ? Great site with news from every branch of hard and soft science out there! You have to do your own editing, of course. My science education, formal, ended with 10th grade biology! But I have read science fiction continuously since i was 9 years old, and have learned enough to know I'm dangerously ignorant LOL.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom