Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that information Josephine. Yikes! It's worthy to know. I do take Prilosec (omeprazole) to try and protect the tummy, but I will heed your advice and stop them as soon as I can. Thanks again, Mother Hen :).
 
ByGosh, I think that pain come with this game. For the most part I think I'm doing pretty good but I do get pains through out my body. I have been getting a cramp in my upper leg, in the back. I am gonna try some stretches and hope that helps.
 
ByGosh :) I did well all on my own! It was pretty relaxing, "personal space"-wise. I only had to look out for cats, and had no-one's schedule but my own, so could do PT and walks to the clock without worrying about whose office I was bashing around in, or what male was going to come barreling down the hall without thinking. LOL So I have had 2 days of regular PT and many walks-- I even went outside 3 times today, after I'd promised myself I would stay in. But the stride or gait outside is so much looser, given the longer vista in the driveway than in the house.
I think you did a wonderful thing today, going swimming/water walking. You had no pain at the time, and it seems to have been quite a satisfying mood lifter. This is Very Fine Thing for you!!!! I joined the Y at the beginning of this month, but as it turns out I won't be able to go there till my son leaves later in June. Water walking in the therapy pool-- I will want coaching, please!! :)
ya know what? I am going to dream a short, non-aesthetic dream for you. I dream you walking into the second-opinio0n guy's office, and when he asks what he can do to help, you say to him, "well, I had this pain, but since I've been water walking and paddling I haven't had it any more!" That dream pleases me.... :)
 
sandybeach It's so strange how the hips can affect the entire lower halves of our bodies, isn't it? The feet, the knees, the thighs, the buttocks, the back, and the hips themselves. It's unbelievable, but not so surprising considering how much they do- most all of the weight bearing for the body. Then when the hip is replaced, and our whole musculo-skeletal structure - muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other bones, have to adjust, it makes them all stressed. So it seems that THRs have far-reaching consequences, way beyond just the hip area, and it's no wonder we get these aches and pains and spasms.
Stretches sound like a good idea. How about some heat to relax it first, alternating with ice afterwards. And that accupressure massage might help. Arnica cream, too. You have lots of tricks up your sleeve! I wonder if it's one of the large, weight bearing muscles that's gotten cranky? Those are the hamstrings back there, right. Hot showers, or baths could be soothing, too.
Go easy for a few days, take your pain meds if you have to - less pain, less stress, less muscle tightening. Do you take NSAIDS? Sometimes several different ways to "attack' it can be helpful.
I hope it feels better soon! You're doing so great! I look forward to the day I can actually prepare a meal. And grocery shop? I haven't done that since last Fall! Maybe that's one I can skip for awhile, though, I never really liked it anyhow. :heehee: I'll start using Liveringer 's technique "I'm broken"! Except, unfortunately, I still am! :sad: TTFA ta ta for now
 
Awwwww magic flute, magic hip, magic story maker zauberflöte That dream pleases you and me both, my friend!:)
I'm glad you had a nice, relaxing 2 days of peace and quiet to yourself. I know what you mean. It was undoubtedly good for your soul and very helpful to the healing process. Nothing like no stress or interruptions, doing your own thing on your schedule, at your own pace. ahhhhh the joy of it all... It relaxes me just thinking about it..
 
ByGosh, it's great that you got to do a little bit in the pool and it was pain free! Yippee! I love @zauberflöte's dream for you. :) I bet you are looking forward to the second opinion, your current OS sounds like he's not even listening to you, "Are you happy" - really???? Grrr

I'm not getting as much art done as I would like. There always seems to be chores to do around the house, and I've been trying to rest a bit in the evenings as well, to let the body use some of my energy to heal. I'm going to go tidy up my desk shortly, hopefully I will get inspired. I did get to spend the day doing art with a couple of friends, last weekend I think it was.

I'm feeling a bit more positive that I will continue to improve and I will be a lot different in a couple of months. I'm quite tired, but this is because I'm not sleeping too well, I think I might need to invest in a new mattress. I was thinking about it before surgery but decided to wait. There were so many other things to organise at that time.

I am lucky with my OS. They work in teams at the hospital that I go to, so I may not necessarily see the same surgeon each time. But I seem to have been a special case or something, as his secretary told me that he wants to see me himself. So I get to have good continuity of care, and all my questions are never too much for him, and I never feel stupid.
 
ByGosh I keep forgetting to say, what a lovely avatar! have you used this one before? I need a new one but have been too lazy to hook up the camera to this computer...
octopus can you do art while resting in the evening? Or is it pretty movement-intensive, reaching for this or that supply? And, go ahead, look into that new mattress! You are tired b/c you are DOING so much n top of the hip!!and you're not 12 weeks out yet! Give yourself a break! man, I remember 45....that was a good time....I was so young.....I had energy....the kids were 10 and 7 (ok, that part was not too good...), work was still lots of fun b/c we had a good conductor.... nice to have good memories! :)
Glad you are special to your surgeon-- do you know why? I mean, you're special anyway, of course, but oh shut UP woman before you dig a hole you can't dig your way out of!!:rotfl:
 
You're so funny, zauberflöte! Most of what I do is quite messy, paints would mess up the bed, :heehee: and there is a lot of reaching for stuff but I could do a bit of drawing or use a glue stick, sometime. It's not too bad sitting at the desk. Must get up, get some lunch and go and clean up said desk, so I can do something. We are having a long weekend this weekend, so I'm hoping for a productive and creative one.

Ps, no need to shut up, we love hearing from you and all you've got to say.
 
octopus Yes, of course you're special and the OS sees it, too. You're just the 'teacher's pet' type of person, I think. Nothing wrong with the doctor having a vested interest in you. It sure helps when you need him for something and he knows you by name, and he likes you and wants what's best for you.
Have a nice long and productive weekend, where you sleep well and wake up relaxed and refreshed! :)
 
Hi, ByGosh: I'm so glad to hear you got some relief from the water today. I hope this is a new tool for your toolbox. I'm so sorry about your OS acting so unconcerned, and then having the nerve to ask you if you're glad you had the surgery! I wish they would warn us that there's more to this recovery than meets the eye. I hope tonight you are able to get a decent night's sleep. I will check in with you tomorrow. You are right that we have to have hope things will turn around. I'm a fine one to talk, as I frequently don't feel hopeful, but I know it's essential to strive for it. Take care.
 
Hello my dear Peaches It's always nice to hear from you. :flwrysmile: I'm so happy I got to go to the pool! I used to swim everyday for 30 years. So being able to go is a true gift, even though it isn't really swimming. More like doggie paddling around. It seems like we all regress with this surgery - first the learning how to walk again, then the toddler stair stepping technique, then the various bath aids, now I'm paddling around the pool while the kids are whizzing by me with their flippers on! It's ok, as long as I can get out of the house and not be in dire pain and get a little exercise. I'm thankful for anything that even resembles normal activity!

It is soooooo hot here. And humid! Yikes. I'm trying to keep the windows closed because the air outside is hotter than the air inside. I have to figure out a way to get these heavy window A/C's installed. My husband can't manage it because his back is on the fritz ever since his NYC fiasco. My son returned from a vacation to Mexico last night, so as soon as he gets up, I'll have to have him and my teenage daughter do it with my husband's supervision.

Today feels like the worst heat to me. Maybe because it was cooking day in the kitchen all morning. My husband (poor saint) still does the lion's share of the cooking and makes a few meals on Sat. AM for the week. So he had the oven running all morning and I'm sweltering. How can I complain, though? I'm almost to the point where I think I can do more than just help out. I'm afraid to say it, but the last few days, the pain has been less severe, strangely since my visit to the OS. Maybe he's right and it will get better???? I hope I hope I hope. And I hope it doesn't regress again for whatever reason, like walking into the building of the YMCA for the pool!

How are you doing dear Peaches? Soon you return to work. I'm thinking of you and I know you'll manage it well. You are a very brave and hardy soul, doing all of this on your own! I wish you lived near me, so I could send you over some of my hubby's cooking - it's not half-bad! I'd send you some of mine, but there isn't any yet! You've lived in NYC for so long, you'll get around fine. And you've taken so many practice trips outside - my goodness, you've even gone shopping! I did that a few times early on, but ended up back on the couch iced up again. When do you return to work? Have a good day, I hope you're able to keep cool there.
 
I wish they would warn us that there's more to this recovery than meets the eye.
I wonder if they even know!! I think we all believe what Poppet said, that BS and its wonderful denizens will keep us up to date on everything we do need to know. I've been passing out the URL willy-nilly-- but i get the feeling people are writing it down just to make me feel good....

ByGosh it's sticky her too, all of a sudden. My thermometer says 96, but it is known to exaggerate above 90. I sure hope you get those window units in before you start losing your temper like I do, from stickiness! Your wonderful hubby in the kitchen. Mine doesn't cook much anyway, and planning ahead only happens on work projects, and he's SO tired that I let him sleep as long as he wanted. He had a full work week including going to the office 100 miles away Thurs and Fri, took the ZauberKid with him, endured more health issues with his mom (where he stays) and last night drove home 100 miles. Got home, ate, took a shower, and WENT BACK TO THE COMPUTER FOR A COUPLE HOURS TO WORK. He deserves that sleep. (anyway, I'm not sure I'd like his idea of cooking ahead LOL)

octopus post pictures of art!!!!! :) :)
 
ByGosh you mentioned relearning to do things after THR. When I was about four months post-op, I decided to treat myself to a new mountain bike. A family member heard about it through the grapevine and called me to express her disappointment that I hadn't bought a tricycle instead. Or at least a bike with training wheels. I had this mental image of myself puttering around the bike trails on a Big Wheel. :rotfl:
 
By what I have read it doesn't sound like you have a tendon impingement. If you did, you would have a LOT of pain just lifting your operated leg to get into a car, step up a curb, etc., and you would have easily been anle to show it to your PT. Burning sounds more like nerve damage and can take time but it can slowly get better. If you are only three months out, don't worry, you will see major improvement by 6 months.
 
BarbieJ I realliy hope I don't have tendon impingement! I would think the OS would have elicited some pain when he moved my legs all around doing the ROM and tendon test. It didn't hurt. It hurts after walking, standing, flexion and it's gradual, not a sudden pain. So thanks for that postive opinion, Barbie. I want this to be as simple as inflammation that's going to get better! :)
Mrs. zauberflöte You're right, it sounds like Mr. Z needs his rest. He has a long ride to work and back. That alone can tire a person out. Plus his mother's health, and he was looking after your son. He's doing his husbandly duties for you. My husband cooks only because I haven't been able to stand long enough to prepare anything, and he wants to eat. It's great because there's 5 of us here, but I get a little antsy when he's in there doing it - the smells, the mess, today was the heat. I just try to go chill out someplace until all of the flurry is over, then I go in and do damage control, as much as my hips will allow. I can't wait until I can cook again, because that means I'll be much better.
alexthecat Big Wheels! hahaha I remember those noisy things, back in the 70s, wasn't it? They sounded like a roar! I lived in an apt. complex then, and the kids used to race them all over the parking lots. The noise! Yes, that would be a sight to see - you on a Big Wheel on a bike trail!:rotfl: Very classy. Tour de France here you come!
 
I guess I was one of those annoying kids in the 70s. :) I was so excited to graduate to a "big kid" bike that wasn't made of plastic.

It really sounds like your iliopsoas is shouting at you for trying to do a little too much too soon. Just take a rest and see if it calms down. Think in terms of weeks, not days though. If you get busy again as soon as it starts to feel a little better, it will just get angry again.

This is pretty common, you know. Lots of people overdo early on and then have to slow down. It's a learning experience, for sure!
 
Hi ByGosh I am so glad you are in less pain and have had a better day.The gentle pool work seems to be paying off as you don't seem to have had any adverse effects following your visit to the pool I know what you mean about doing an activity that feels normal.I am still planning to go on Monday and will do my exercises in the pool as well as walking and will try a short gentle swim.I also have a float that fits between my legs to support them when I swim.I will take it very easy as you said.Afterwards I will relish sitting in the steam bath and the jacuzzi.I am so glad that you have an appointment arranged for a second opinion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom