THR Bumblebee in Recovery

HI @Josephine , just wanted to get your input on somethings I am experiencing. I am post op 10 days and understand I shouldn't be too concerned with symptoms this early on.

When I woke from surgery, my operated foot was numb, painful in the forefoot and I couldn't wiggle it. 24 hours later it improved significantly and was able to move it and walk on it. However, I still have some pins and needles, tingling and some pain, all comes and goes continually. What is a possible cause of this? Is icing on my buttock the best for this as I am thinking inflammation or irritation of nerves?

Secondly, I get some sharp shooting pains in my thigh when I walk, not always, just sometimes. Seems to run along the outside of my thigh to knee but I feel it DEEP inside the thigh. Am I being overly worried about stem loosening? I have uncemented stem.
 
Last edited:
Yay! Incision looks good, that's wonderful! @Bumblebee
I hope you're not too worried about the symptoms you've described. Like you, my instinct
says nerves trying to regenerate. But I'm not a medical professional so we'll leave that to Jo.
Same with the thigh pain. Remember there were power tools involved. Saws, drills, hammers.
Poor leg was traumatized. Prayers Jo puts your mind at ease soon.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind :console2:
 
I still have some pins and needles, tingling and some pain, all comes and goes continually.
Secondly, I get some sharp shooting pains in my thigh when I walk, not always, just sometimes. Seems to run along the outside of my thigh to knee but I feel it DEEP inside the thigh
Both of these issues might arise from sciatica. It's not uncommon after a THR. But since you're not even 2 weeks out yet, I suggest you wait and see.

In the meantime, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine

1.Superpath approach. Incision looks posterior.

2. 3 increasing to 4 at bedtime. The thigh stabs occur occasionally when I walk or pivot. The foot tingling, pins and needles come and go. Mild groin pain. Buttock aches due to sitting.

3. Percocet 5-325 1 to 2 pills every 4 to 6 hours as needed. Currently taking Tylenol 1000 mg at 9am, 3pm and 2 Percocets at bedtime.

4. icing 3 times a day 1 hour each time. Sometimes more doesn't feel good, aches more.

5. Elevating all night long with intermittent non operated leg side sleeping with pillow between. Elevating Not so much during the day as it seems to affect my feet circulation. I sit in recliner with feet propped up but not toes above nose.

6. activity level: I warm up my food that's it. I walk around house for 5 minutes with walker each hour. Limp pronounced and need to lean into walker for support. Trying hard not to lean and walk straight.

7. No formal PT or exercise.
 
Post op day 11. So I decided to "try" the cane inside the house walking....actually was quite surprized, it allowed me to walk with LESS a limp than the walker. My thigh is sore right now though. Wondering if it was too soon or just unused muscles complaining. I was really surprized it was not too difficult to utilize the cane yet feel secure. Mind you I didn't walk a marathon but from room to room in my one story home.
 
Hi @Bumblebee
I tried the cane for the first time around Day 11 also. I kind of overdid it myself. I recall being pretty tired out.
I did many laps through my kitchen and living room the first time and hours later felt it was too much. Your gait changes once again when you go from walker to the cane.

Remember heel-toe walking with the cane. It helps you lose the limp. Concentrate on your heel hitttng the ground first, then toes. It was difficult for me to get used to it but it really helped. I felt I walked steadier, straighter, taller. Just take it slow, it will come and soon you'll be setting the cane aside also.
Hope you're having a nice day!
 
Good job @Bumblebee. Cane does use some different muscles. Layla’s tips on heel-toe are right on point. I have found now that I am getting off cane, the heel-toe is even more important. I had surgery on joint of big toe on right foot years ago and have a habit of walking on side of foot which got even more pronounced with hip. I keep telling myself “heel-toe” as I walk everywhere. Sore muscles are sure better than hip pain!
 
2. 3 increasing to 4 at bedtime. The thigh stabs occur occasionally when I walk or pivot. The foot tingling, pins and needles come and go. Mild groin pain. Buttock aches due to sitting.
Okay.
3. prescribed Percocet 5-325 1 to 2 pills every 4 to 6 hours as needed. Currently taking Tylenol 1000 mg at 9am, 3pm and 2 Percocets at bedtime.
At two weeks and with your pain scores, you should be taking more than this. Those Percocets are quite a mild dose so you really do need to be taking them as prescribed. For another week or two, anyway. THEN you can gradually transition to Tylenol 4 times a day at that dose. Don't forget that unmanaged pain can hinder healing make the pain go on longer than if you treated it now.
4. icing 3 times a day 1 hour each time. Sometimes more doesn't feel good, aches more.
I understand.
5. Elevating all night long with intermittent non operated leg side sleeping with pillow between. Elevating not so much during the day as it seems to affect my feet circulation. I sit in recliner with feet propped up but not toes above nose.
Also understand.
6. activity level: I warm up my food that's it. I walk around house for 5 minutes with walker each hour. Limp pronounced and need to lean into walker for support. Trying hard not to lean and walk straight.
Good!
7. No formal PT or exercise.
Nothing? None at all? Pleased to hear it!
 
I tried the cane for the first time around Day 11 also. I kind of overdid it myself. I recall being pretty tired out.
@Layla ... did you continue with the cane only then or did you go back and forth between walker and cane?

I was wondering what I would do if I dropped my cane and no one was home?:dubious:
 
I had crutches vs. walker when I came home with first one. I went from two crutches, to one, to cane. I have found both pre-op now and post-op then that the cane kept a good gait the best.
 
Hi @Bumblebee
I did go back and forth between the cane and the walker for a couple of days.
While you're worried about practicing the cane when alone in case you drop it, carry your grabber with the other hand so you can retrieve it if that happens. You'll soon forget the grabber as your confidence increases.
Hope you have a great Sunday!
 
I need some advice from my fellow bonesmarties. My butt (incision area) and deeper is killing me with all this sitting. The new recliner which was super comfortable pre surgery is now tortuous....well not really, but feels like it. I sit on my ice packs, tried a variety of pillows, it's just not comfortable. What have you all done for booty comfort?
 
I don't have my incision yet...but I do have rump pain from SI and piriformis issues. But what helps me best for this is putting the ice pack low on my low back and towards the affected hip and lean on it so there is ever so slight an arch to my back. But not as much as if I put it there to accentuate the arch KWIM?
I have never felt that sitting on the ice has helped me.
However if one could imagine an "ice bike seat", and a bit forward. It seems that helps me too.
 
I wasn't allowed to sit in a recliner when I got home... or on the sofa. It had to be a firm seat. At 1st I thought a firm seat would be painful, but it served me well. I'm finding now that I am sitting on the sofa almost 4 weeks post op, that I get very stiff and sore from sitting here...
Ice works wonders for me when discomfort and swelling set in..
I hope you find your comfort soon
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom