Guest viewing is limited

THR Bumblebee in Recovery

Hi @Bumblebee
Sure hoping all is going well.
Pain well managed, sleeping and resting comfortably.
You may even be home by now....
Thinking of you....sending hugs and healing wishes!
 
Post op day 3...I think that's what they tell me.:umm:Thought I better check in to let you know how it's going. I had GA vs regional anesthesia and it has been tough going. Have taken a variety of pain pills, anti nausea pills, but have no appetite and just feel yucky. I won't be dancing anytime soon with @SaraK . First night I noticed I had foot drop symptoms, couldn't wiggle my foot, toes very little and couldn't push foot back, with pain on top of foot. Happily that resolved within 24 hours. It now feels 95%. Pain is manageable but I walk like I am 2 years old. And yes I have the dreaded log leg! I get spasms in my knee and groin after walking to the bathroom and back, sometimes feel like leg may give out, these were all symptoms prior to surgery though. I do tend to lean on the walker, but i can do full weight on leg. Sleep has been good, the pain meds have me zoned out. Back sleeping, not a problem, go figure. Poop fairy no where around, the little devil, and if I can only get this nausea fixed and some appetite...that would put a smile on my face. Thanks for all your well wishes!
 
Ah @Bumblebee the first few days are tough. I promise it will get better. I had the GA too and in hindsight wished I'd had the spinal. Had log leg and woke up not being able to move my foot one night until the other foot could get it moving. Every day will get better and that nausea should soon pass. I think it took about 3 days before I was ready it eat too. You'll feel a lot better once the poop fairy comes. I found prune juice helped, on top of using the stool softener. There are sunnier days ahead and you'll be dancing before you know it. :SUNsmile:
 
I'm glad the drop foot has eased. A friend of mine had that with first THR several months ago and it hasn't completely gone away. Luckily, it wasn't repeated with her second.

Several of us discussed the medicinal benefits of ice cream (and you could look at it at icing from the inside out :heehee:) - maybe some of that would help. For me, dairy products with my meds seemed to help with the nausea.

I'll give you a few more days before I try to get you to put on the dancing shoes! Just keep chillin' with ice packs and put your feet up and relax. Lots of fluids which can help the constipation (and will ensure you get up every once in a while to head to the bathroom).

Take care - you've already gone through the worst of it - it's all easier from here! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
That sounds exactly like my first three days (minus the drop foot)
Just drink lots and keep medicated and rest all you can.
You did it:yes!:
Big surgery, so body needs time to readjust.
Sending healing hugs:console2:
(Are you taking stool softeners?)
That ended up being a very uncomfortable situation for me also..took a bit to work out...
 
Last edited:
Hi @Bumblebee
So happy you have your surgery behind you! But not happy you are experiencing lots of the negatives that can go along with this major surgery.
Are you home? Taking care of the big three? Ice, elevate, medicate!?
Hope you can keep us all posted on how you are doing, and that all bodily functions are returning to normal.
Is your leg coming around? I have to admit that log leg thing scares the daylights out of me and my heart goes out to you that you have that as an added issue to deal with post op.
We are all here to hold your hand during the rough days :console2:
 
Two things that have come in handy these days....1) a belt to assist getting Log Leg into bed 2) Kitchen Tongs for those things the grabbers don't handle.
It is very uncomfortable sitting on the commode due to the stitches in the bum. Has anyone come up with a solution? I am ready to duck tape sponges to the top.:heehee: The cushy ones you can't attach to the 3 in 1 commode which is higher than regular toilet...not ready for that.
Are the spasms in the thighs and knees normal while walking sometimes? So far the pain is manageable except for these spasms when I walk or thigh and butt pain on the commode, getting out of bed leg spasms.
One thing I am grateful for is that I sleep well at night.
 
Hi @Bumblebee good thinking on the belt and the tongs. I'm going to have to steal the tongs idea because the grabber sure does get frustrating sometimes (I am thankful for it though!). I bought a leg lifter strap for getting into and out of bed. Made my life so much easier. If the belt is working for you that's perfect. After 2.5 weeks my muscles in my leg are finally strong enough not to use the lifter and instead I'm using it to shoo the cat off of my leg. :heehee: Hadn't thought of the sponge idea for the commode :giggle:. I agree that it's not comfortable. I had spasms in my thighs and butt that have passed over the last two weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're using a lot of muscles that haven't been used in a while. Poor body has been under a lot of trauma!! Take is easy and have a wonderful weekend! Ice ice ice! :ice:
 
Hi @Bumblebee
It's great to be hearing from you again. I think the muscle spasms are normal at this point.
I've read of several people complaining of them over the past couple days alone.
Hipster333 mentioned them above and Agility Dog was also questioning them yesterday.
This too shall pass....Yay!

It's great to hear your pain is well managed and that you're sleeping well at night.
I hope your weekend is comfy and peaceful as you continue on your healing journey.
Hugs to you!!
 
@Bumblebee - Got to read your postings... my poor surgery buddy. :cry: Here I've whined about puking and inactivated prune bombs, but you have stitches in your bum (and no sponges on your loo) :bawl: A foot on the loose and a leg on the lam. :unsure: Girlfriend, if I were more mobile... I'd come West and help a sister out. I've actually had a decent day today. I've eaten a lot (including junk)... I haven't felt sick... but I haven't pooped :boohoo:This is a little like a soap opera, huh? "Tune in tomorrow ...." We can only hope by tomorrow, "The Colon Turns"

I sure hope the leg lightens (I think I had the log leg too... just not enough to know to call it that). I'd ask DH to "lift them both" (lack of strength and fear of not keeping them symmetrical!) I'm getting a little more comfortable with them... I have visions of the first day of Spring when we are 4 weeks post op and ready to fly our freak flags! (Like I haven't been flying mine for the past few days?) :rotfl:

Have a super rest of the weekend! Just think how much better next Saturday will be!
 
@Bumblebee and @NanaMama......good to hear from you both, and sounding surprisingly perky considering what you've both been thro .....you sound like building sites, with blocked pipes and log legs! Being able to sleep must be a big bonus, so I will wish you success with the unblocking and lightening up :heehee:
 
I'm pretty sure (99.999%) that I overdid it yesterday afternoon. Probably a while before I started feeling 'done'. The muscles in my thigh were dancing. The almost kicked the ice off my thigh. I started asking about it....got out of bed & my entire thigh was Tight!! Just like I had worked out. Hard as a rock muscle. That would be nice, in the future when I have worked for it. Today my thigh was just jumping around. Visably.:rotfl: .Glad to see you here @Bumblebee :flwrysmile:
 
Are the spasms in the thighs and knees normal while walking sometimes?
Normal. They had alot of trauma.
They are saying...only walk short trips when you have to...they aren't over their rearranging experience. They should calm down and ease off...
I had anterior, but sitting down for long on potty chair hard thingy was torture the first weeks.
Especially when I was so constipated!
I was bemoaning to my mother how I couldn't go, and she suggested I get a magazine, and relax - Right!
All temporary...hope today is a Good Day.
 
Last edited:
Post op day 5. Still have some tingling, numbness in the foot region, seems to come and go, sometimes after laying down sometimes walking. I am assuming the residual of the foot drop I had after surgery? However, am grateful I can walk and hopeful it's temporary. Wish I had bought a tray and pouch for my walker as I keep forgetting things and saying "I'll get it on my next pass to the loo." Poor hubby tired of hearing "can you bring me..." He is shopping for that tray now. :heehee:
Walking is strange in that I feel lopsided. Was told to tighten my glutes as I walk.:what:
 
My hubby ziptied a little straw basket to the front of my walker to carry cell phone and etc. And they teased me about putting a bicycle bell on it.
Have to admit I wasn't amused.
Didn't like being on walker and was in my "sensitive" stage.
Some things are only funny later.
MUCH later.
All temporary, dear bumblebee.
All worth it.
Healing mojo coming your way!
 
Good Morning @Bumblebee! I don't have a tray or basket on my walker either... and DH goes back to work tomorrow. I've decided I shall wear my apron. It has pockets for cell phone and other misc. items. I've been doing the "Tiny Tim Trot" with one crutch here and there (I seem to get a running start after coming downstairs and then like a wind-up toy, I just keep going until I wind down.) The crutch is really handy for 'sweeping' stuff across the floor (for DH to pickup/put away later.) Hope Hubby finds that tray (or an apron) for you... Wishing you an "Upright All the Way Day!"
 
Wow, one crutch....you are doing mighty fine! I'm not there yet, still hanging on and leaning into walker when I step on the operated side. Trying to keep straight and tighten my glutes when I walk.:heehee:

I am already missing my garden...my geraniums are calling out to me "where are you?"
:cry: what's a garden without a bumblebee?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom