THR Bumblebee in Recovery

Hi @Bumblebee ....sorry about all the 'extra' pains, hope it's just a matter of getting worse before you get better! I've had ITB problems on and off for a number of years, and the only thing I've found that helps is resting it. There is a stretch for it but it involves a weird sort of twist, NOT recommended for post hippies, and I never found it very helpful anyway. If it's really painful (on the outside of your knee? that's where mine burns brightest) ice it, if nothing else it will numb the area for a while :yes!:
 
Anybody ever try acupuncture for pain? Wonder if there is much of a risk for infection after THR?
I had acupuncture after both my THRs. My LTHR aggravated my lower back issues so I saw an osteopath. Part of his treatment was acupuncture. I found it very effective.

Anyone professionally trained to do acupuncture should be well aware of the hygiene needed for any patient having this. Do you have someone in mind?
 
Just posting a quick update. Doing better. Some good days some bad days..but overall it is getting better. Walking with cane and less wobbly. Doing more walking outside. Went to doctors appt and quick trip to store and that was enough to take a LONG nap and back to icing. Not quite ready for outings but getting along better in the home. Can do the golfers reach to pick up items on the floor! Can solo shower and dress (except for putting on the operated leg sock). I learned the lessons; slow steady progress, don't compare your recovery with anyone else, listen to your body when its talking, and stay positive.
 
Anybody ever try acupuncture for pain? Wonder if there is much of a risk for infection after THR?
A decent acupuncturist should be well trained in aseptic technique meaning they should wash their hands thoroughly before starting, cleanse the skin with antiseptic and use single use needles sealed in sterile packs. If they do that then there should be no risk of infection AT ALL never mind in joint replacements!

Good hand washing
 
Tried doing side lateral leg raises today to test my ROM. I felt and heard clunking noises. As I understand that is quite normal...does it go away? What causes it?
 
Hi Bumblebee - good to hear that things are looking up....you're about 2 and a half weeks out from your op, so you've perhaps more perspective on your progress....I get the impression it's sort of a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" recovery :) :-) (: Clunking noises sound interesting...do they hurt as well? Shall be watching for replies so that I can tuck them away for future reference! Glad you're doing well with the cane.....you'll be tap dancing before you know it :wink:
 
Well, if there is any dancing to be done I'll need to hold @SaraK 's hand!:egypdance:
No, there isn't any pain with the clunking sound or feel...yep..you can feel it. Right now only seems to happen with lateral leg raises. I'm not overly concerned as I have heard others have it too. And I did read "noise issues" on the forum.
The incision areas are more irritable..probably from sitting so much! More cushioning for the tush needed.:loll:
 
If you have any pain doing lateral leg raises - don't do them. This exercise can be very tough and may cause all kinds of aches and pains.

The clunking is normal. Muscles and soft tissues need to firm up around the joint again. Just give it time - the feeling will soon fade.
 
Oh I agree Jaycey, I don't do anything that creates pain....there was no pain and I was doing it leaning on the counter just to test my range of motion. ROM I understand takes longer to achieve.
Yes, my muscles are weak that I know...couldn't exercise before surgery because of pain.
 
Hi @Bumblebee
It sounds as though your recovery is coming along nicely.
Slow and easy, as you've been doing it, will benefit you without any setbacks (ODIC :swoon:)
Wishing you a great week as you continue healing!
 
How goes the battle for @Bumblebee
Are you buzz, buzz, buzzing around yet?
Hope you're doing well.
Give us an update when you're able....would love to hear.
Hope your day is sunny and wonderful!
 
:hi: yes, buzzing around other threads. :eyebrows: Can't wait to be buzzing around my garden...you have no idea how much restraint is involved when a gardener goes out to survey the land and finds a weed or something that needs attention.:no-fin::gaah: it's driving me nuts!

I am doing well at my 3 week mark. Last night I was even able to sleep on my operated side for awhile...such pleasure for a side sleeper. I am walking well with the cane. Can walk across a room without cane but with a slight limp so I am not pushing it. No pain, just aching at night still and that rock feeling on the bum. :heehee: I do still have knee aching mostly at night that I had pre surgery...not sure why...don't have knee arthritis so I figure referred pain or IT issues. If I try to rotate my foot outward or while lying and having my knee up then abducting leg out it sparks it too...my foot has a tendency to slump inward while lying down. I need to correct the ROM that was bad before surgery. @Josephine mentioned that ROM just comes with time I believe so I am hoping for that. Maybe massage?

BUT otherwise, so far so good.
 
In my book, a massage is always called for! At this point, though, be very wary. I only did massage with PT or with a friend who is PT turned massage therapist. She was actually a little leery with first THR when I asked for massage at 10 days but did one at 1 week this time given my fast recovery each time. Even then, though, she left out some things she would normally do for massage.
 
Great news! @Bumblebee
Being a side sleeper myself I know the joy of transitioning back into comfort!
I took me longer, I was afraid to try it.
Remember heel- toe walking with the cane, It seems to work if you haven't tried it.
It sounds like you're progressing nicely, slow and steady.
Thanks for the update...have a great rest of the week!
 
I learned the lessons; slow steady progress, don't compare your recovery with anyone else, listen to your body when its talking, and stay positive.
Hi bumblebee.:wave: Haven't alot of time to check on all the folks and was ever so happy to catch up on you.
The aforementioned lessons are certainly serving you well!
Less than a month out, think you are doing so well:yes!:
Hope the rest of your week is lovely...:SUNsmile:
 
Good morning @Bumblebee. You are progressing well. I’ve been dealing with knee issues off and on. I really think it is coming from all of the muscles getting back to working right. Seems like I get different types of aches as recovery progresses, one type when moving onto cane, different things when going off cane. I just keep focusing on walking right, if a particular movement gives pain I stop.

Keep taking it slow and easy.
 
Coming up to 4 weeks post op in a few days. Walking outside each day with my trusty cane. Tried going more without cane in the house because it seemed I didn't need it quite as much although with slight limp. But today I have been getting sharp upper buttock pain on operated side while walking, so I am thinking my sciatic nerve is protesting??? Sometimes that same area while laying down I get the 2 second nerve pain?The pain doesn't run down the leg just sharp stabs in the butt. So....a little ice, and back to cane walking in the house.

Was just thinking....maybe these sharp pains are those zingers everyone talks about.
 
Last edited:
All I know @Bumblebee is that with both hips I could get strange zingers, twinges, pain from a variety of places. Since it tended to shift around with first hip and is doing same with second, I think it is everything trying to get in synch. It’s ok to use cane when needed. I went on mile walk yesterday and was determined to not use cane. I didn’t use it, but I think I needed to for last part of walk.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom