THR Bumblebee in Recovery

Yep. Zips and zaps. And a few other weirdnesses.
Very normal..and annoying.
Hope you are resting well this evening.
 
Honestly, yes it could be.
I had some weird hypersensitivity thing that happened the first weeks out.
Pressure from the least crease or snap or button would just hurt??
Then it would just annoy me.
I guess it's body reacting to all that trauma?
Not sure about the big toe..but wouldn't surprise me.
Really early days for you...
Hope you rest well this evening.
 
Hi Bumblebee....so glad you sound as if you're doing well! You probably don't think you're making very fast progress but think back 2 or 3 days (as opposed to yesterday) and I'm sure you'll recognise the improvements better. Since reading posts on the forum I've started to think we're a bit like babies learning to walk......some are up and running at 10 mths, others resolutely refuse to get on their feet for another 5 or 6 mths, then one day you turn around and they're walking out of the door! No set timetable to it, however much we'd like it. You'll be running marathons by the time I have mine :wink: and feel free to read this back to me when I start wondering why I'm not walker-free too :heehee: Hope Big Toe pipes down and all the other aches and pains calm down
 
feel free to read this back to me when I start wondering why I'm not walker-free too
You have a deal, my dear friend @anny !! :heehee:

Today is one week post op. Trying hard to recognize my improvements and not dwell on my limitations. But, all you Bonesmarties help along those lines:friends:

Happy that log leg has improved. Sad that my walking is lopsided, difficult, my back aches because of it.
Wondering if I should lean less into the walker when I step with my op leg, I try, but it's difficult. Like I said, feels like peg leg. Maybe LLD feeling??..not going there. :no-fin:
 
:hi: @Bumblebee
Please try not to dwell on your limitations. You're going to have them
since you're only one week post op. Try not to compare your recovery to others.
It's difficult, I realize because I've been there. Our recoveries are as different
as the physical condition we were each in at the time of surgery.
You're doing fine, boring old normal, so no worries. Just keep doing what you're
doing and all will fall into place.

I've found I realized my progress from weekend to weekend. Usually, we can recall what we were
doing last weekend easier than we can recall what we did last Monday. I found reflecting on it
that way made me see my progress. Hubby was around on the weekend, also more visitors on the weekend
in those early weeks helping me remember how I was functioning or getting around from week to week.
Try that and see if you notice progress.
I hope your week is comfy, cozy peaceful! :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
@Bumblebee
So glad to hear log leg is leaving you! That is one phenomenon that would just weird me out and those of you who experience it seem to take it in stride, heh! Thankfully it is discussed on BS otherwise I would be heading to the ER if it ever happened to me.:shocked: I've had three OS discuss THR with me an not one brought up logleg!

Several years ago I had a big toe thing flare up during PT for my hips. Really became a focus of pain for awhile until I had prolotherapy to help alleviate my lopsidedness due to hips. Doc told me big toes can be an indicator of hip issues? Because of how we compensate our movement? That was new to me then. Honestly nothing surprises me anymore regarding where pain can sprout up when our hips are wonky and we start walking differently to compensate.
Even though your hip is technically "fixed" it probably will still take some convincing for the rest of your parts to
agree to the process.:flabber:
And yes the LLD (my other freak out) Dont go there :bolt:
 
Hi @Bumblebee wondering how you're feeling today?
Hopefully your back pain is easing....
The LLD sensation, if you're feeling it, will slowly ease I believe.
Try doing fingertips on the walker and see how that goes. I used to do that when I felt I may
be leaning on it too much. Please remember too that you're only 8 days post op.
Hope today is peaceful!
 
Yesterday and today got a few more of those stabbing pains on the outside of my thigh while standing or walking. It's concerning but trying to stay positive. Sitting on the incision gets old too...:groan:

I don't quite have the strength for fingertips only, seems like my leg is just alittle to weak for that. Haven't progressed much walking inside the house...but like you said earlier, think in terms of weekly progress.:sorry:
 
You'll get there. Think of all the damage that was done to your poor leg.
Cutting, sawing, drilling, hammering. Rest and ice and ice and rest, best you can do.
I wouldn't try fingertips then either until you're feeling more stable.
It will come. You're in the infancy of your recovery. You're a preemie :heehee:
Patience and time....You'll get there.
Hugs
@Bumblebee
 
Just wondering if any of that could be related to the drop foot issues you mentioned at the beginning even though you thought it had resolved. A friend of mine had drop foot with her first THR and it caused some weakness and nerve issues that took her a bit of time to get past. With her second THR, the did a lot of extra padding on the leg to reduce the chances of drop foot and no repeat.
 
Hi Bumblebee......sorry you're having some pain and worry. Poor hip, it's not surprising it's having a whinge after what it's been thro! When I was browsing Dr Google (as one does :wink:) I came across this hip anatomy video.....I'm sure it's one of many excellent ones, but I particularly liked how detailed it is and it gives the role of each muscle/tendon etc. I thought that when it's my turn to be post-op and wondering why something is hurting, it will be useful to look at this video and remind myself of the sheer number of soft tissue 'bits' that have been moved/traumatised and if I know what their purpose is it might make the aches and pains make more sense. It has also given me massive respect not only for how our bodies are made, but also for the surgeons who have to deal with all these bits and pieces.....the THR animations are very simplistic (not that I want every gory detail, but they don't convey the full extent of the 'abuse' done to a large area of our body.)

Sitting on the incision makes me go 'ouch'.....I suppose those doughnut cushions you use after childbirth would be in the wrong place? Or could you squeeze one to fit? :flwrysmile:

oops forgot to add the link (am I allowed to post links? sorry if I'm not :blush:)

https://www.rogerbrighton.com/anatomy-of-the-hip-dr-roger-brighton-hip-knee-surgeon.html
 
@Bumblebee I find it helps to go back and read some of my earlier posts to see the comparison. I think you're doing great for 8 days out! I get frustrated now when I start limping when I use the cane--then I have to remember that I wasn't even using a cane a few days ago and this is all brand new information to my body, the muscles in particular. You've got this! :flwrysmile:How is your incision healing?
 
You are so right. Like I said previously, my log leg has improved and I don't need a belt to get my leg in bed.:yay:
I havent seen my incision as I left the hospital with a water proof bandage on it with instructions not to remove until my return appt. I have been fortunate there is minimal swelling and no bruising, it just hurts to sit on it.
 
Happy Thursday @Bumblebee
Great idea hipster333 has about marking progress by looking back through your thread.
I'm happy to hear the log leg improved, pretty soon it will be history.
You're lucky to have minimal swelling and no bruising.
You'll be buzzing around again in no time.
Hope your day is great!
 
@Bumblebee when do you see your OS again to remove the bandage? Did you have staples or is yours glued? It's exciting when you realize you can get your leg into bed without any help! :happydance:
Hope you're having a great day!
 
Dissolvable stitches. My OS follow up is end of next week, but a nurse will be replacing the bandage tomorrow.
Yes, we do get excited for any progress. And duck for cover when a new pain emerges. This too shall pass.
 
Would I be joining @Layla in being too punny if I tell you to just stop and smell the flowers @Bumblebee ? As long as the general trend is going the right direction, don't worry. Day to day it's hard to see changes and one day may be harder than the day before, but overall improvement over time is the key. And there's no one size fits all on recovery - yours is yours and will happen at its own pace.
 
Would I be joining @Layla in being too punny if I tell you to just stop and smell the flowers @Bumblebee

Too punny!!:loll:I must go outside today for the first time in over a week, even though I can't smell any flowers at this time, the frost killed them all, I can at least imagine smelling the fragrances of roses, lilacs, honeysuckle. I do have a good imagination. Maybe I could get the hubby to buy some floral scented spray.
 
Hi @Bumblebee ....reckon it's your evening now......hope you get a good night's sleep, and tomorrow is another day nearer to being back to 'normal' (can you remember what that's like? :heehee:)
 
Back
Top Bottom