Revision TKR Bruising 3 years out

I'm really sorry you are having such a bad time, and that you are not getting the help you need. I think pain is often worsened by anxiety and the other way round. I'd love to be able to say something to help you out of this depression, but I know how difficult a thing it is to overcome. Just know that you have friends here who care about you.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
He told me very bluntly that by using my cane or walker that I was inhibiting my ability to learn how to walk on it correctly. Actually what I've found this past week and a half is the pain has increased and so has the swelling.

Well, sure, at some point you have to give up the cane, but I know my PT thought it was more important that I was walking correctly and had stability. You are a ways out from the surgery but if you wind up limping b/c you don't have the support I don't see how that's helping. (directed at the doc, not you)

Icing and elevating does little for this, but then I'm up quite a bit, especially now as I no longer have my husband to take care of things for me because we are living in seperate houses.
Try to let the non essentials go, or pace yourself on tasks over a series of days. I did that for several months.

I have noticed that sometimes my incision turns a purple color, not sure if that's nor AL or not
I had that too. Some of us have called it the "mood scar" like the old mood rings. :snork:
 
I have the "mood scar" that changes color. This is normal and honestly nothing to worry about. It will eventually fade on its own, but the process takes a long time. After 1 1/2 years my formerly purple/pink LTKR scar has turned mostly white.
 
Yup I've got a mood scar as well. Funny it's looks angrier (and feels a little angrier) than I feel after a day of being able to do some normal things again. And I agree with kneeper one of the good things my therapist did was insist on walking devices until my gait was correct. She didn't care how long I'd been using it only that it helped until things were working properly.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lol so glad the color changing is normal. Sorry haven't been on in a while life has been hectic. I have been walking unassisted for about 3 weeks now, and I've found that if I focus on my left and how I'm moving it I can actually walk without hardly a limp, however I do still have days where the limp and pain is bad. I still use my ice machine when needed as it still swells. I cannot believe it's been 3 months already. Yesterday it was VERY swollen. It would be nice if I could just wake up one morning and all the swelling to be gone, but... I can bend it almost all the way now, I would say my bend is about 132° and straightening it has gotten a whole lot easier, actually that's downplaying it a bit lol if I sit on the floor and stretch out my legs I can just barely bet my hand under my knee, I can sit cross legged for the most part! I do still have my negative days where I'm like grrr why doesn't this thing heal?? But then I think back on all that horribly painful PT and how I could barely walk, bend or straighten it and was bedridden and just knowing how far I've come fixes that negative thinking real quick :)
 
It's wonderful to hear that you are doing so much better :)
 
It's lovely to hear you sounding so much more positive. We all get our down days with this recovery, but little by little things do get better. I'm happy things are improving for you.
Tabby xxx
 
Oh I still have my bad days lol where I'm cursing every step I take. Waiting for that magical day when the swelling decides to take a hike, now THAT would be amazing, but I've been told it could be 6 months to a year before my knee resembles anything close to normal. I've got a gym membership I really should use more often but I'm so exausted most of the time I can't get the motivation to go. I try to go once a week tho and always have someone with me. Now if the gym was right across the street I would live there because those hydro therapy massage chairs are like sitting in heaven lol
 
My OS told me it's usually about a year for full recovery, some may be a little longer...be careful you don't over do it at the gym and cause more swelling and pain.
 
Wow, just read thru all your postings, it def has it's ups and downs. I see a lot of myself in your postings. I started out on such a high after surgery and was doing so well only to have relapsed these past few weeks. I also have been a pusher of myself and allowed others to push me also, I am 4 wks out soon to be 5 but my ROM isn't very good, feel like I am going in reverse most of the time. Today after P/T I cried all the way home so disappointed. I really think and hope the only thing holding me back is the swelling in my knee and thigh area, I have that tight band around my leg. Think I have been pushing it also lately with doing more than I maybe should be, maybe more rest and icing and elevating will help. I actually found a lot of comfort in reading your posts as I could see the roller coaster of a ride it's been so far for you. I'll continue to watch your updates. Take care
 
@zzevi if you look around this site, you will see that the people that do less end up having a smother recover than the ones that push themselves to much,icing, elevating, and taking meds as instructed are the most important part of our recovery, ROM, comes when the swelling is down and very little, gentle PT is what we need.

Good luck and I wish you a smother recovery!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@zzevi it really has been a roller coaster ride, one I wasn't totally prepared for. I tend to go into things with a big head only to get deflated lol. I've had a hopefully minor setback the other day at the doctors office when I was going down a step and the ankle on my right foot twisted and I almost fell but didn't thanks to my son, but I also sorta twisted my tkr leg in the process and have had persistent pain just below my kneecap area. I've been told that it takes ALOT to damage the prosthesis which is my biggest fear right now ad my dad told me I probably just stressed a ligament or muscle in there. I had been to the gym the night before and yep, you guessed it, I overdid it lol so I'm back to elevating and icing like crazy because it's the only time I'm not in pain. I can still walk fine, hardly a limp. TKR is the most brutal experience I think I've ever been thru and I'm about 3 1/2 months out. So technically really still early in the recovery. I've learned alot from the ladies on here, and have had so much reassurance that it makes days like today a little easier.
 
@uva55 I agree. I was a VERY stubborn PT patient and I never did my exercises in between visits lol. But once I was able to walk well I refused to stay in bed and I've found that the days I force myself to relax are much smoother and less painful than the days I'm up and about all day long.
 
@Jamie @Josephine Just a curiosity question I guess, or maybe a worry I'm having. At almost 4 months is it normal to still have moderate swelling constantly? And just how much of an injury does it take to damage the new prosthesis, like if you accidentally slightly twist it can that mess it up or is it pretty stable? I've had constant pain in the soft area of my knee just to the left and below where my kneecap is and it's bumming me out and making me afraid I may have damaged something. I don't hardly take pain meds anymore because the doctor ordered me to stop taking them at my last visit, although I do take 800mg ibuprofen hoping it will help the swelling. Still icing and elevating, but only at night. I can't really stay in bed anymore as me and my husband are seperated now and I'm living with a friend so I have to tend to my two very rowdy boys so maybe it's a simple matter of me over doing it? Any advice would be appriciated :)
 
And just how much of an injury does it take to damage the new prosthesis, like if you accidentally slightly twist it can that mess it up or is it pretty stable?
Them's pretty tough and untouchable devices so there is almost nothing short of a head-on crash at speed in the car that will damage them. Even then it will more likely be the bone around it before the implants. So stop worrying!

But what I want to know is, are you doing any exercising, any gym work? Is your job a very active one with lots of walking, stairs and the like?
 
@Josephine I do go to the gym once a week and my exercises are usually 15 mins on the stationary bike, 15 mins on the treadmill, 10 reps on the pushboard at only 10 pounds weight and I follow it up with some relaxing on the hydro therapy chair. I do not work as I'm on disability but I do a lot of walking because I have 2 boys to keep up with, although I do spend time laying in bed as well. I still use my ice machine all night and elevate when I go to bed. If it really starts hurting I elevate during the day as well. I'm taking a week off from the gym as my mishap on the stairs really caused pain in that one spot so I've been really babying it and I still have some pain meds left which I take occasionally when the pain gets real irritating. I did over do it at the gym the night before my mishap as I had taken my niece and she's very energetic so I did more than I usually do. I have noticed that I can get the swelling down but just 5 minutes of walking and I feel it swell up again and my scar does that purple mood changing thing
 
Josephine is away for a few days,so I'll comment about your gym activity.
The stationary bike and the treadmill are OK, but I think you should stop the pushboard. We recommend not using any weights, as they tend to cause too much stress for a new knee. They could be contributing to your pain and swelling.

Really, your ordinary life sounds more than enough exercise for your knee, without adding extra exercise at the gym.
 
I totally agree with Celle. I fail to see why people who have had an otherwise successful replacement feel driven to continue with sometimes questionable exercises for ever more! There must come a time when ordinary life is sufficient unto itself! And if your excessive session resulted in this tumble, then that would seem to validate our comments!
 
Don't worry too over much about that sight twist to your knee. In June I crashed on my road bike at 15-16 mph, and landed on my (helmeted) head followed by shoulder and new knee. I spent most of the night in ER where test after test confirmed that I would be okay. I suffered a concussion, torn shoulder, sore neck, ribs, back, weeping abrasions, etc. But believe it or not my TKR, though it took a hit, is fine. I considered calling my OS but ultimately decided follow-up was unnecessary.

My outcome could have been much worse, but here I am to tell the tale and provide firsthand testimony that replaced knees are indeed sturdy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom