Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR BruceH After THR Recovery

Calgal

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
If you can clamber into your truck at barely a month I'm well impressed! :wow:. You seem to be doing super and I hope you continue to sail through this hip journey. :fingersx:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Thanks for the update!
Good to hear you're able to get out a bit. You go stir crazy after a while.
I think you're wise to take it slow with the walks and go as your body allows. No point in exhausting yourself at only three weeks post op.

Sounds like you're doing really well! I don't favor back sleeping either and what helped me was pillows, pillows and more pillows. There was something comforting about being surrounded by them and having the ability to rest an arm on one, a leg on one, whatever you find comfortable. Try it if you have extras around the house. Another must in my book is a body pillow when you can lay on your side. They are inexpensive, about $10, and great for using between your legs once you're able to side sleep. I've yet to part with mine and I'm over 2 1/2 yrs post op. I purchased mine at Target, but Amazon has them as well as WalMart and anywhere else that sells bed pillows.
A peaceful evening to you. I hope you sleep well!
@BruceH

OP
OP
B

BruceH

senior
Country
4 week update:

Doing well, haven't had any big surprises. I get random strong pains from time to time, still have a lower level of pain while walking or getting up. I'm taking increasingly longer walks every other day and have mostly stopped using the cane while walking. Without the cane I can concentrate on slower, smaller steps with a proper gait and posture. With the cane I find myself going fast and not standing up straight. The cane still goes with me when leaving the house for navigating curbs and other obstacles like steps.

The skin is healed on the outside of the incision but something is still going on inside. For lack of a better term there are two lumps, one on each side of the incision. From what I've read in other recovery threads it's normal and should go away at some point.

Now that I'm on the other side of surgery the time sure is going by quicker.

Prem1234

Country
@BruceH It's really good to read that things are going well for you. Are you still talking any meds ?

I've got a lump at the top of my incision too, it feels a bit tighter at the top and I'm pretty sure the dissovlable stitches are still holding on there.

OP
OP
B

BruceH

senior
Country
@Prem1234

I'm not taking any of my surgery meds anymore. Most of them were discontinued after the first week, I think it was day 10 or so. The leftovers were used on an as required basis and have also been stopped. I still have pain but the level has gone down significantly.

Yes, the skin is tight around the incision. The latest progress with the incision is that I can wear jeans comfortably again. A few weeks ago jeans were almost impossible to wear.

I'll get more info on the lumps at the 6 week follow up.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Bruce,
I really don't think the lumps you described at each end of your incision sound concerning, but if you don't feel like waiting two weeks for reassurance from your surgeon you can always ask someone on your surgeon's care team to look at a photo you forward from your cell phone. Just a thought.

It sounds like you're progressing nicely. Enjoy the week! :SUNsmile:
@BruceH

Hip4life

Country
Just dropping by to check in and delighted to find out you’re doing so well. Lumps and tightness and random pains sound about right with the incision. Unless there is a sign of infection or you’re especially worried, waiting until your next check will be okay. As my year anniversary approaches, I’m amazed at how minimal and faded my scar is. Wouldn’t have believed it at the same recovery point you are. Lol. Best wishes for continued good progress and follow-ups.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good morning! Your recovery sounds like you are right on track, thats a good thing!
Now you’re in that phase where your mind starts thinking you should do more and can get your into the ODIC but seriously, you seem to be taking things at a good pace. Good for you!
I could still feel those lumps and bumps along the incision line at 4 weeks too.
Seems to me that they finally smoothed out soon after, though.

Keep up the good work, oh and I liked your philosophy on walking slower and mindfully when off the cane. That’s a good observation.
Have a good day!!

OP
OP
B

BruceH

senior
Country
Now you’re in that phase where your mind starts thinking you should do more and can get your into the ODIC but seriously, you seem to be taking things at a good pace.
Today finds me with a mild case of ODIC. When I walk outside or do something I pre plan how far it will be and try to increase distance and time at an incremental pace as tolerated. I just wasn't thinking yesterday.

I overdid it by going to Costco! The drive was about 20 minutes one way which is the longest I've driven at one stretch since surgery. Support from the cart allowed me to go at my usual pre surgery fast pace. I noticed some extra pain at about the half way point.

If I would of been walking in the neighborhood I would of just went home and sat down. However, I was committed and at the far end of the store so I had little choice but to get the rest of my items (they also had moved some things around which caused a lot of extra searching), stand in line, load the pickup and drive home. Unloading took more trips than usual due to my limited carrying ability.

I took it easy the rest of the day and hoped for the best today. Today finds me with extra pain, enough that I've shelved any planned walking or trips for today. It will be a day of rest.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and Happy Wednesday :wave:
Sorry to hear you're struggling a bit today, Bruce. I hope with a lot of rest and some dedicated icing, you'll bounce back quickly. It seems everyone makes a trip to the ODIC. Hopefully yours amount to a quick drive-thru and not much more.
Wishing you comfort and some restorative sleep today.
@BruceH

Neerod

Country
Glad its all gone so well! I remember the pain meds made me feel like id been very heavy on the gin...was quite a nice feeling as long as they gave me the anti sickness drug! Lol.
The days will soon pass and you'll be looking forward to the spring and getting out and about again! Looking forward to reading ur posts-take care

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
aargh! Best laid plans, right?
Well, rest and ice and a good long movie is what you should be doing.. :snork: well, that's what I'd be doing.
Maybe tomorrow, too.

Glad you have the pantry full, though. It's a good feeling, too. To have food when on R & R.

Stripey

Country
Ugh, the dreaded Costco setback! You know they move staple items around on purpose, hoping you'll see previously unnoticed items that you just can't live without :heehee: . Seriously, I can't believe it's been 4+ weeks. It sounds like you are doing really well!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
It is often the way I also found out where the lines were...not as in Costco, but as in doing too much and paying the price.
And if it starts to get uncomfortable before you stop, it will definitely complain when you do.:sad:
Ebb and flow...quite the dance, as you know.
Hope you take today as an easy does it day @BruceH :ice::ice::ice:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Sorry to hear of your setback. Walking with a shopping cart is great, but it can be too good and you can go too far. I've had to park in an aisle for a while to rest in the early weeks. Rest and ice is the usual fix.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
momto8
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom