TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brownie51,

Call your OS and get in to see him! Falling had me heading to the hospital quickly in the first stages with Dr. Maale! Please get it checked out as soon as possible. I am sorry, but I completely agree with Jo! infection is nasty stuff to deal with and you have had major surgery done in the bone. When Dr. Maale went in and did the revision, he removed a lot of necrotic tissue including dead parts at the top of the tibia. Marianne, I have a very high tolerance for pain, because we were using antibioticsto try to get rid of the infection and I kept refusing any more pain medicine. Your case is different because you are just starting out! The type of pain you are describing sounds like it is getting worse if you walk on it and that is concerning me! Please call your doctor! We worry about you!:console2:
 
I agree with Jamie, I think after you fell, you really need to see the doctor. Better safe than sorry at this point! Gentle hugs!
 
Brownie.....if you didn't get a chance to call your surgeon today (Friday), you can still get a call in over the weekend. They always should have an on-call surgeon available and the answering service can reach that person.
 
Just an update I am sure Brownie will be on here to update but she went to the doctor yesterday and she has broken her tibia all the way through and is now sporting a very cool cast. She sure has had a rough time!
 
Dear brownie,
I really don't know what to say :sad: I am so sorry you have to go through this. Does it affect your treatment
For your infection ?
Prayers to you :angel: & :console2:
Diana... :flwrysmile:
 
Beachmom.....thanks SO MUCH for the update!!! It is much appreciated although I'm not happy about the broken bones.

Dear Brownie.....I wish I was close by to give you a hug. This will pass, but holy cow you certainly didn't need a new challenge right now! Guess we all have to make the best of it, though, and go forward. I like the idea of a "cool cast." Did you get a color??? :) Maybe we could have a "signing" party and all of us put our get well wishes on it (virtually, of course).

I look forward to hearing from you. I'm praying for you, hon. Know that you have many, many friends here on BoneSmart who love you and care about you.
 
Dear Marianne,
I am beyond shocked to hear about your recent setback!!! I am so sorry that you have this broken bone! You have been through so much! I continue to pray for you every day....sending you hugs, love and healing thoughts.
Lee

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for the good thoughts. I lost balance a week ago sunday and went backwards back on my bad leg, flat Hi on my foot. So that's how it happened and was awful so at that point the pain got bad. But I talked to the home nurse Monday and she thought we would just watch it. Then I decided to call the dr's office and the MA passed on the message to dr that I'd come down on it and it was okay to use a boot and wait till I saw him on Monday. I didn't really have a way to get to the hospital anyway. I have the son of a friend now who I can call and he is going to take me next Monday for more xrays. Even the nurse had me practice crutching on Sunday to get me ready for going out on Monday. It was awful. The PT thought I was fine too. And then he had me literally marching on it standing in place with one crutch and holding on to a rail with the other hand. Then he has me walking up and down the hall practicing some weight bearting. It was excruciating. Thought I was going to pass out. He told me that the bone would get stronger if I was up on it more. I stopped trusting my gut during all this. From 11 days post op knee, I've had caregivers ignoring my complaints. I need to do what I think is right and stop letting others convince me everything is okay, and that I am just thinking negative.
When the MA at the dr's office popped up the xray on the computer in the exam room I wasn't surprised at all! But my poor doc was....He was busy cleaning my wound, getting ready to take out sutures and I had to stop him and tell him the bad news. He looked so deflated. I felt so bad and he kept saying he was sorry. After my last doc I appreciated his concern. So I got my cast. I have this droid phone now and don't know how to get my pics over to my computer and get them in the right place in order to pick them up and attach. But okay I tried but has to be as a thumbnail. This isn't the most gruesome pic. haha.
I saw it and thought, yup, that's what it feels like! A broken tibia. Can you see the shadow of the long window Dr. Cyran made in my tibia for the osteomyelitis surgery?
8 weeks in the boot. Finally using the wheel chair in the house. Just can't go into my living room oh well. I am not risking my life going down those 2 little stairs. I am going to call my insurance and see if they ever provide a temporary ramp to a house. That would be so helpful. Then I could get out of the house for my daughters baby shower a week from Sunday without messing up my tibia plus not have to crutch down the steps. I can still move around in the cast, still feel that weird feeling and now I know what to call it, crunching and grinding!
So hopefully in 8 weeks I might be able to walk. I haven't walked since the beginning of July. 2 months will turn into 4 before I know it and then I can walk and work. Then my daughter's baby comes and life will be good again.
Thank you all so much for your support and thank you Cathy for posting for me!!!!
Marianne
 
Marianne leg
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 249
HAHA Pumpkln that's funny!
Yes something went wrong all right! I need to catch Lynn up on all this too. NightQuilter come read the latest debacle. I feel bad because I was so happy when Dr. Cyran was willing to take my case I was so appreciative and I thanked him a couple times. I also let him know that things seem to happy lately, like if something is a possibility, it will probably happen. I wonder if it's gone through his mind that maybe he should have said he was going on vacation or something when my rheumatologist asked him to take me on.
You guys are all so wonderful and supportive. At some point I have to start listening to myself and not to others or care givers etc about things like when I felt I knew something was horribly wrong back in July or even last week, should have listened to myself (and you guys!) about thinking my leg was fractured.. If a doctor doesn't believe me like when Dr. Reff didn't believe I was in pain... I need to get a new one and not put up with it. But why is it that ALL of you have understood all the way through? I don't get it. I guess since we have all been through an atrocious and painful surgery we understand it better. We all KNOW that complicati ons happen! Sometimes people will talk to me and compare something they had years ago, to my situation even though I am 62, have multiple problems with my leg etc. Or they get focused on my pain med and are happy if I report to them I've been able to take less med. One who has been so good to me...but yesterday after finding out about my fracture, started talking about how now I need to start getting off the pain med. She is a wonderful person, great friend but I don't get why some of my friends are concerned about that. My new answer is going to be that I am going to get off the pain med as soon as my pain is gone. I know they worry about me and they are just showing how much they care. But I do have other friends who say, "are you getting enough pain medication? Don't let the pain build up! Call your doctor for more pain med!" (in the times it hasn't been adequate) and feels so much more supportive. But regardless I know my friends are all giving advice out of love and are trying to help me in the best way they know. But I would never suggest someone worry about their narcotic intake while they are in a medical mess like I am.
Today my Dad came by and he was so sweet. He realized that I had done physical therapy plus practice crutching last week and Sunday while my tibia was completely broken and somewhat displaced. He said such nice stuff complementing me getting through that whole thing and the whole mess from the beginning. So as he left he said a little louder, "I love you Marianne." Oh my gosh it brought tears to my eyes and does now. He'll be 96 in November and I hope to heck I can put on a nice birthday dinner for him. His birthday is a couple days from my daughters due date. I admit when he said some of that, I said "Yeah Pop, I think I am a strong person."
Although I have cried so often and so easily. Whenever my pain wasn't managed I got so emotional and weepy. But I am sticking with me being a strong person and ignoring all the bawling. hahaha
XOXO, Marianne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom