TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had another xray today and he says no sign of stress fracture. I sent it to Josephine to see what she thinks
I totally agree with him. No callus formation, therefore no fracture. Screw holes are about 40% healed up though which would also indication there is no egress of the infection into the bone.
Maybe he just put them in the wrong place on me.
If he'd put them 'in the wrong place', he wouldn't have been able to do the replacement.
Today I found the surgery I had on you tube, with the pinhole process etc.
I didn't see anything being attached to the tibial mid-shaft. Just a perfectly standard, cruciate preserving replacement but no computer guidance. Actually, a very neat and watchable procedure!
 
Jamie Oh my god I must have sent the wrong video! I am so stupid for not watching more of it before I sent it. I thought it showed the apparatus being placed on tibia. I will try that again!
Josephine this is just so amazing. You are so much better than my doc. To know the holes are being filled in is amazing because that explains the whole thing. I just goofed and walked back to my bed from my bathroom, just about 4 feet, forgot to transfer to the office chair and I didn't have any pain. I am still going to stay non weight bearing but wow it feels good to know I am healing. YEah!!!!
I have noticed as I am healing I feel more like reading others recovery and offering support. I was starting to feel so selfish, just take take take me me me! It feels good to be able to step out of my situation and offer support to others even if just by reading their stories and "liking" nice comments. I am so thankful that I am healing up so fast. We can all read on here about others who's pain and suffering is going on literally for years, needing revisions and never having that YAHOO of walking without pain. I know in a couple more weeks I will be out running around doing all the stuff I love to do. This forum has saved me again. I just can't say enough thanks to all of you. I guess I am finally able to admit I am an emotional person. I do get over things fairly quickly but when trouble happens I emotional. If I didn't have all of you who truly understand me and what I'm going through. Now wouldn't it be great if we could chose doctors who believed in the Bonesmart mantras.
My issue with pain control was crazy. This is interesting. Yesterday I picked up the news magazine for my hospital. And in it is an article about joint replacement. So they quote some of the local doctors. MY doctor's comments are that the procedure is so awesome that people often don't even need narcotics post op. Also because he gives the oxy the day pre-op. (I'm sorry...I do like the theory that pre-op oxy is going to help post-op pain but I'm sorry...pain meds only help your pain when you are having the pain!...my opinion based on my recent experience). Then the very next comment is another doctor who says that the recovery rehabilitation is all about PAIN CONTROL. In other words, properly medicating the patient's pain away. HELLO AND THANK YOU. Maybe he is a Bonesmartie himself! It just stuck out at me that there is your difference between doctors right there. A doctor who actually looks at his patients and sees exactly what is going on with them. Compared to one who does not customize treatment to the patient but rather to his theories. Just because we have a few patients who do not require narcotics does not mean all patients can recover on Tylenol.
Okay I have gone on and on. Thank you all again for hanging in there with me.
 
Brownie, what a great post :) I'm so happy you know you are healing & your pain is getting better :happydance: Josephine is truly amazing, to read your x-rays over the Internet & tell you you're 40 percent healed is unbelievable.... I often think of the others on this forum, who really have a harder time than myself, I also think of the Boston bombing victims...I realize how truly blessed we are :angel:

Also, I truly look up to you....you went after your doctor....got your tests ordered...& didn't settle for anything but the truth. :SUNsmile: You are a rock star to me.....bravo for a job well done :yay: May you continue to be pain free..
Diana :friends:
 
Brownie.....how good it makes me feel to know that you are on the mend. You know, it's much easier to be sympathetic to others when THEY are going through a challenging time. But....when it's YOU....everything changes. That's true for all of us. Believe me, I had my moments with both my knees where I truly worried that I was the unique patient who was having pain and problems that no one in the world had. It's just human nature.

I'm glad you are seeing things in a better light now. You are healing and hopefully it will continue right on track. I also think you have done a good job standing up for yourself with your doctor. The truth is that we all must be advocates for ourselves and keep a good eye on all that takes place. We need the help of friends and family and even the help of our fellow BoneSmarties sometimes. It's why we're here!!!
 
Brownie - so sorry to read about all of the problems and pain that you have had in recent weeks. Your OS sounds like a first class jerk and I can understand that the trust has gone. His defiensive attitude makes me think that he knows that something did not go totally right in your case

Hope you are finally turning the corner to recovery
:friends:
 
I'm so glad to see that you are healing.
 
Good morning brownie,
Just checking in to see how you are doing :) I hope you are feeling better.
Thinking of you,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Glad to hear that you are healing! Hang in there!
 
Hello brownie,
How are you doing ? Good I hope :) did I hear you were doing water therapy ? I hope you are doing
Well in your recovery.
Thinking of you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
HI Everyone
Well things are staying the same. No further improvement so a little disheartened. I go back to work in 3 weeks but no kids at school until September 3 or so. But the thought of being back at work and feeling like I do is frightening. Yesterday had lunch with 2 friends at one's home and it was great, ice, foot up, didn't have to get up at all. I don't see my OS until a week from Friday. I decided I wanted an MRI if I'm not able to walk by then.
My pool is great, soothes the pain away to float in the nice cool water. (80s). I am able to do the bike on most days. Sometimes the tibia hurts too much. I am still on Norco 10. Taking 4 or 5 a day. The more I am up, the more I need it. Crutching around makes it hurt. Knee is fine. I consider my knee pain minimal compared to my other knee surgery.
I hope everyone has a nice Wednesday and thanks for listening!
Marianne
 
I feel like I've been taking the norco mostly for my tibia. But I just went 12 hours without med and have to hang on to things when transferring for a few steps and there is intense pain in my knee as well as tibia. So I am starting to think that my knee has done well and been fairly easy because I have continued the pain med. my knee is 6 weeks old now and doing great but still needs med. I am not sure why I find this to be a revelation.
Do any of you know if there has ever been a bone smart meeting?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Hi Brownie,

I am sorry to hear that you are not progressing, but I am glad to hear that the swimming pool helps. Please keep us updated.

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom