Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

What a shame that you can't work at home. You will feel tired when you return to work. Did l miss the date you're going back or have you not yet decided?
Will be looking out for your update post when you see your OS.
 
Our company offers a paid medical leave on a sliding scale, depending on years of service. I have 10 weeks to work with, but as of next April (10 year anniversary), I will be eligible for 20 weeks should I ever need it. (hope I never do!) However, it's also kind of all-or-nothing. Either my salary is paid in full by short term disability insurance, or I would have to use vacation and "occasional absence" days if I work part-time. It's kind of stupid, because it's a disincentive to go back until I have to. And, that's the reason I asked for additional 2 weeks (8 instead of 6) from my doctor, because I didn't feel ready to hit it full time. I am going back the week of Labor Day which will be a short week. I already had a vacation day scheduled the next week, so that will also be a short week. It's my own sneaky way of phasing my return. So it will be a full 10 weeks by the time I actually have to work a full 5 day week, but I will only be taking 8 full weeks of leave.
 
Hi all..
The appointment with the OS went well. He's very happy with my recovery so far. Measured me at 130 flexion and said 'That's pretty flat' for my extension. Took x-rays, and everything looks good. Talked about going back to work, and he signed papers to have me return on 9/30.. (Pretty happy with that.. It's a week and a half longer than originally estimated.) Told him my biggest concern was endurance.. and he seemed fine with that.. My next worry is whether or not my insurance / short term disability will agree.. (Gone are the days when the doctor and the patient are the only "interested parties".. :umm:)

They will fax the paperwork and see what happens.. It would be great if I could just know that is the date and not worry about it.. :gaah:

Tomorrow my youngest gets put on a train to Portland for Freshman orientation at University of Portland.. and then my hubby and I will make the 3 hour drive with all her 'stuff' on Saturday. "My baby".. :sad: :happydance: hahaha... mixed emotions.. :heehee: 3 hours down and back on the same day.. THIS will be 'interesting'.. I ordered some instant icepack to carry in the car.. Good news is that in his F150, there is a good amount of leg room..

It's all part of "the process".. :heehee:
 
OH.. PS... :heehee:

Came home from the doc and a quick stop at Costco (you ARE seeing a theme, yes?? lol!) I was pretty tired, but have been putting off making a Green Chili Pork (Stew) for the past couple of days.. Couldn't put if off anymore.. so.. did the last of the dishes (from last night.. :groan:) and with the help of daughter #3 and my darling husband, we jointly attacked all the cutting and chopping and now the wonderful aromas are wafting throughout the house!!! Ok.. it won't be done until after 8:00, but it will be done!!!! SMELLS great!! (I do really miss cooking!!!) This is one of those recipes that you try and HAVE to add to your regular repertoire.. It's pretty darn YUMMY!!! Anyone who's interested.. here it is.. broken link removed: https://www.angiessouthernkitchen.com/2012/10/green-chile-pork-from-the-roaring-fork/ It's really pretty darn easy and will NOT disappoint.. :egypdance:
 
@MsBlue - Wow.. 20 weeks is AMAZING! I've been with my company 31 years (I started when I was in kindergarten!! :rotfl:) and I only get up to 12 weeks full salary and then the next 12 weeks is compensated at only 60%.
 
Hi, Braunzie-
Wow, youngest off to college. There's a moment for you. Sounds like you know what you are in for with returning to work--good that you have realistic picture of what it will be like. I hope you get to stay out for as long as possible! Being in the ODIC for 5 days a week is no joke. Keep us posted!
 
I will try that recipe! Nice to see your youngest spread her wings. I am sure she will fly home often. My oldest was the most homesick. She went to University of Florida, which is 2 hours away, and came home every single weekend her freshman year! She got to really liking the college thing, though. Will be 31 soon and finishing her doctorate next year. Unless she can find a way to drag it out still farther.:loll:
 
Well, last night was interesting. My daughter #3 (22) came into our room at 3:00 am and told us she was awakened by the sound of breaking glass and subsequent running outside her bedroom window. Long story short, someone broke into the side passenger window of our car that daughter #4 has been driving. She had left her wallet in the front seat.. SIGH!! Had to call police and today I will be helping my daughter try to handle all the necessary follow up. Of course her driver's license AND social security card were in the wallet.. :bignono: We'll have to find some way to get her ID in order to get her on the train for her ride to Portland this evening. If it's not one thing, it's another. This will be a "learning opportunity" for her. She was incensed that someone would come on OUR property and break into the car. We do live in a pretty quiet neighborhood at the end of a long cul-de-sac.. Now she knows.. :sad:
 
Yes, a learning experience.... Thieves are like bears, they can be anywhere so don't leave tempting things out or they will get it! The temptation is too great... But it is the violated feeling that is hard to,shake... Sorry for that experience.
 
Your poor daughter! What a shocking initiation into life away from home. I certainly hope you get the ID thing sorted out in time. Does she have a passport? High school ID?

Congrats on 130. That's amazing!

Gotta run (limp? walk gingerly?) -- wanna shower before PT. Keep us posted, and best of luck to you and DD4 tomorrow.
 
Your daughter needs to go to the Federal Trade Commission website and click on the Identity Theft link. Good information there that will help protect her.
 
Thanks, @SarahJane and @Slainte!

Yes.. fortunately she does have a passport. (Her school IDs were in the wallet too.. :sad:) We got her a temporary Driver's Licence and went to the Social Security office to get her a new SS card.. Then did last minute shopping at Target and Office Max. When we were at the SS office, they gave us a pamphlet about the Federal Trade Commission website. Still need to do that.

We are in the throws of packing now.. because of course, she is a typical teenage procrastinator.. I helped a bit and then had to call Uncle.. Resting and elevating..

I DID drive today for the first time however! The SS office was a ways away and I figured I would try driving rather than have my daughter drive my car on the busy freeway.. hahaha:heehee: I was pretty stiff after being in the car for that episode. Hmmmm. Not looking forward to the 3 hour drive down and back on Saturday. (Yes, that is 6 hours on the inside.. :thud:) I will be taking ice packs and a couple pillows with me. Again, the good news is that their is good leg room in my husband's truck..

Not a boring day today.. :dubious:

lol!!!!! :heehee:
 
Oh boy! My knee is talking to me this am.. and pretty much did through the night. Very stiff and pain about 3 without moving.. Tighter "band feeling" than I had for days. Given the events of yesterday - kind of had to "take care of business" - I didn't have much time to sit, elevate and ice for long. Moved around more than before without my crutch, but I didn't do ANY of my PT. (Yes, and feeling a little guilty about that.. :unsure: ) Elevated and iced probably half the night. Bummer.

Patience is a virtue.. :yes: This too shall pass!! LOL!! :yes!:

I have PT later today and some friends coming over this evening. (It will be VERY casual!) Other than that, going to try to take it easy and recuperate as much as possible today and tomorrow to prep for my big drive Saturday. Wonder if my icepacks will be delivered before then??? Oh.. and it's supposed to RAIN on Saturday.. :sad:
 
Imagine how much worse you might feel if you had done PT! Moving in the rain. Your daughter can't catch a break this week. Remember you are there for emotional support. No carrying stuff or walking far! I will allow you to guard the pile of belongings you will have to dump on the side of the road before the campus police force you to move your car. Take a big umbrella and a tall lawn chair. And bottles of water! And have fun with your family. Big day.
 
Here's to a quiet and relaxing day and a fun and relaxing evening with your friends. After your excitement yesterday you deserve a day of taking it easy.

I hope DD4 is able to follow up with the Federal Trade Commission today. Getting that handled as soon as possible should give both of you some peace of mind.

Out of curiosity, since our TKAs were done a week apart, how long were you behind the wheel of the car? Were you stiff and achy when you got to the Social Security office, or at the end of the round trip? Did you use one of those electric carts while shopping, or were you on foot (and knee) the whole time? Two places I'd like to drive to are 20 and 30 minutes away. Wondering how long it'll be before I get to them again.

I imagine the fire area of Washington state could use some relief, but would you mind sending the rest of the rain down south to California? We sure could use it! ;)
 
I will allow you to guard the pile of belongings you will have to dump on the side of the road before the campus police force you to move your car.

@Slainte
:heehee: I will remember that!! I'm usually pretty good about following rules.. :yes: I'm hoping the rain holds off a bit.. you know, Weather Forecasting is the one job you can be wrong most of the time and still keep your job.. :fingersx:

@SarahJane - The trip to the SS office was about 35 minutes one way. I was VERY surprised how stiff and achy I was when I got out of the car. Very different from being just a passenger. I didn't go into some of the shops that we stopped at.. figured at least I could do that much for me knee. Went into just the SS office, the bank and then Safeway.. It was definitely ENOUGH.. but.. now I have a sense of my limits.. so, all in all, it was a good thing .. even though my knee was talking to me.. Didn't need to take any narcotics to control the pain, just lost a bit of sleep and comfort, mostly. My parents still live in the San Fernando Valley.. They try to get me to send down rain all the time.. Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.. :sad:
 
Braunzie you sound like you're doing activities at a nice comfortable level, not overdoing anything but still getting things done. Gotta admire that!

About the break-in ... in my town, anything left on the seat of a car is a big neon invitation ... when you watch pedestrians' eyes in the university and high school areas, you see people glancing into every single car, and it's not to admire the stick shift or the upholstery.
 
@Braunzie Don't think I would be driving as much if Rafa were in my right leg instead of the left. Technically, my newbie is just along for the rides, but I do move that leg around some to avoid a static ride. You are doing fine, so just relax and keep doing the usual things for your knee after a good PT session.
 
@Braunzie. I kept saying how "Life" continues early on in this process, and that hasn't changed for me either.
The last I heard from you, you were gonna start walking without an aid. How's that going ? I'm a week behind ya, and have my follow up next week. Looking forward to it..keep me posted on yours. Also...cant get my wife to watch TKR video either. Not even the animated one ! Hang in there
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom