Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

Soooo.... If I just spent an hour in the kitchen on my feet preparing dinner, does that count for my PT for the day???? I'm WHOOPED!!! (But it really smells good!!! :happydance:) Icing and elevating til I am called to duty again.. Chile is simmering.. :yes:
 
I count any activity that contributes to strengthening your leg(s) or improving your overall stamina as PT. Getting a good meal right after would be gravy. :heehee: BTW, my PT gave me a killer exercise today; I stand on the stepper with my operated leg, raise the other leg off the stepper, slowly lower it to the floor and tap it with the heel. Believe me, it is a Monster.
 
@Braunzie, I'm sorry you're having such trouble sleeping in your favorite position. Hope you're able to get there soon!

I'm joining you and @Slainte in the Gee I'm Tired of This Already When Can I Move Normally Again Club. And my great plans to make meatloaf and meatballs and tamale casserole out of the ground beef I bought at Costco on Monday remain just that -- plans. A couple of days of hamburgers. Today I got really wild and crazy and chopped up some onions, tomatoes and avocado, opened up some enchilada sauce, and cooked some of the ground beef with Mexican seasoning for tacos. I can't imagine an hour on my feet in the kitchen! But I could imagine myself enjoying some of your chili (hint, hint, wink, wink). Want some hamburgers in exchange?
 
I'm at 6 weeks, approximately, and can't imagine returning to work even part-time. I haven't been able to cut down my pain meds so I can safely drive. And I find myself taking a mid-afternoon nap every so often. @Slainte and @Raffs, do you ever feel drowsy during your working hours?
 
@Rob 68 - Glad your PT is not my PT! hahaha! :rotfl:

@SarahJane -Welcome to the club!! :) ... But about the hamburger.. We JUST DID THAT.. Bought hamburger at Costco and my darling husband made "taco meat" out of the whole thing!!.. all four pounds of it (or there abouts).. :loll:..... Even with my daughters contributing to consumption, it lasted WAY too long!! It will definitely be a while before we do that again!!

If I could figure out a way to send chili down to Los Angeles, I would. Maybe someday an Amazon drone could be the answer..

I'll let you know how it turns out.. It's a new recipe.. White Chicken Chile.. :yes:
 
@Rob 68 -- my PT has been having me do that same killer exercise, but not every time, thankfully. There is another where I have to tap my toe to the front, side, and back while bending the operative leg. Those are not ones I do at home!

@Braunzie -- of course standing and cooking is PT! And going up and down stairs counts as the stair stepper and balance exercises at PT. Take credit for every little thing. Your knee is certainly doing the work!
 
My biggest activity this week was going out to the curb and bringing in the garbage cans. Hats off to all who are able to stand and cook! I can stand long enough to make toast with peanut butter or put left over pizza in the oven.
 
Happy Saturday! :yes:

Well, got a two thumbs up on the chili yesterday.. Hubby and youngest daughter said it was definitely a "keeper". As recipes go, it was pretty easy.. just that EVERYTHING takes longer these days. (For anyone who's interested, it was the White Chicken Chili from America's Test Kitchen.. https://www.americastestkitchen.com...n-chili?incode=MASAZ00L0&ref=search_results_1) Hope the link works..

Knee is quite stiff this am, and I'm still pretty tired. Whew.. I can HARDLY wait until I can go about a normal day-in-the-life's worth of activities and not feel exhausted. This reminds me of how I felt when I was first pregnant.. UGH!! (without the nausea though, thank goodness!!! :heehee: ) THAT was a long time ago!!

Asked my husband if we could "go SOMEWHERE" today so I can get out of the house. Not sure where that will be, but after he finishes up some of his "to do" list, I'm hoping we can make that happen. Doesn't matter where.. maybe a drive, or just go for a walk at a local park, or to a local flower outlet.. or SOMETHING.

Hope everyone has a good day today. May your knees be nice to you!! :yes!:
 
@KameronSteele - my surgery was July 8 and my out patient PT evaluation was July 10. First out patient PT was July 13 and I've been going 3 days a week ever since.
 
@Braunzie and others here, if not too late I would like to harmonize on the "this is going so slow" rant. Feeling exactly like that! Please don't hesitate to rant thusly, as it is strangely comforting to hear someone else singing my tune now and again. We all have good and bad days, and the good ones are encouraging . . . but on those rotten days, well, misery does love company, so thank you for sharing all the ups and downs. :-)
 
Did you get to go somewhere? That cabin fever can get to you. Might give that recipe a try sometime!
 
Well, didn't get to go anywhere on Saturday. I was a bit disappointed.. My husband went to help my daughter at her house for "3-4 hours" at 10:30am and didn't come back home until about 6:30. (This is not unusual, as he is horrible at estimating time/ effort.. and I KNOW this!- and love him anyway.. :yes!:)

I thought we might go out to dinner at least, but we wanted to wait for my daughter #3 to get back from Portland and that didn't happen until after 7:30.. By then, no one was really interested in "going out" for dinner. :umm:(I was just a little bit bummed, but life is full of little disappointments.. )

So, Sunday, I had carried over my hopes, but there was so much smoke in the air from the fires in Eastern Washington, the everything was hazy and kind of depressing, so I didn't really push for having an "outing".. Oh! But I got to got to Costco again, and by the time I finished walking around, I was whooped.. go figure! :flabber:

Eventually we did end up going out to a really nice Italian restaurant not far from home with my husband and two of our daughters, so .. It was good.. :cheers:

Went to PT today and got new numbers.. wait for it.. wait for it.. hahaha! 128 / 4!!!... :happydance: My regular PT was back from her gallivanting to Europe.. It was good to have her back. Interestingly enough, she suggested I stop working on my flexion, saying that when the swelling goes down, I'll get another 5 degrees back and it's not good to go much past 130 / 135... ??? But still need to keep working on the extension.. (DARN!! hahahaha! :yes: )

I have my 6 week follow up with my OS tomorrow.. A little nervous. I don't feel I'm ready to face going back to work yet and am quite interested to see if he agrees... I sure hope so!!! It is still exhausting to me just to take a darn shower.. Can't imagine getting ready for work, driving an hour, working 8-10 hours, driving another hour.. ECH!!!!! I asked the PT what she thought would be his take, and she said he's pretty "reasonable".. Not too liberal, not too conservative.. Tomorrow, I'll know more. Wish me luck!!!
 
It is probably up to you when to go back to work. My OS said my knee would make the decision. I think he would have supported whatever I wanted.

Gotta love those ROM numbers!
 
Remember it's your *right* knee. The one that you move from the gas pedal to brake and back during your two hour round trip daily commute. Please make sure your OS knows the length of your commute and the traffic conditions you'd be facing on a daily basis. I'd hate to have you get into trouble on your way home because you joined the OIDC (Over-Did It Club) during your 8-hour work day.

I'm still on Percocet, although I'm tapering it off, so I haven't attempted to drive yet. I'm not sure my knee would be happy being bent at a 90 degree angle for an hour at a time. You've out and about in cars more than I have, though, so it may not be as much of an issue for you.

Just my unsolicited two cents. Your mileage may vary.
 
And, I forgot to add, I'im glad you got out for dinner, at least. Cabin fever does really get to you at this stage of recovery!
 
Why don't you ask him about a phased return? Just go in a few days a week for a couple of weeks. Your doc can write a script for a phased/part time return.
 
I was originally allowed 6 weeks off of work, but asked my doc for another 2 weeks and have not had a problem. I am still taking graduate coursework (started classes again tonight) and the thought of restarting school and work in the same week was WAY too much. It was not entirely easy to sit through a 3 hour class this evening, but it also wasn't totally terrible, so I managed.

On Sunday, we had planned to go to the (world famous) Chicago "dog beach" - we usually go early in the day, but it was raining. However, after a wet trip to the farmers' market and a nap, we woke up to a stunningly crisp and beautiful afternoon. So we made it to dog beach after all - it was a gorgeous afternoon and my first trip back since surgery. It was really something to celebrate!
 
Can understand your disappointment at not going out, especially when you've been indoors all day! Really glad you were able to go out for a meal the next evening. I'd heard about the fires in your part of the country. Such a beautiful part of the USA, really hope things improve soon.
Good luck with your OS appointment, over here many of us take the full 12 weeks (or more) depending on how understanding their employers are. I will be starting a phased return to work soon which is basically working from home for a few weeks, going in once a week for 3 weeks, and then twice a week for 3 weeks and finally back to normal hours (I work from home twice a week), certainly wouldn't be able to do a full day at work as my day is normally like yours. I'll be watching out for your update.
 
Hi, just catching up on your thread and reading what you've been up to over the past few days. Glad you managed to get out and about. Excellent ROM! Looking forward to your update later after you've seen the OS.
 
Based on my job responsibilities and how my work goes, a "phased return" is probably not going to work. They don't allow "telecommuting" - so no working at home, and once I'm back, the work load will be there regardless of whether or not I'm physically at the office full time. I've been at my company / job long enough that I just know it will be all or nothing. I prefer nothing until I feel good enough to try to tackle full time. Regardless, I KNOW it will be exhausting to go back when ever I actually do. We'll see what the OS says.. :whistle:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom