Revision THR Branluc has moved over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok everyone. What do you do about pedicures. I need one desperately , can't bend to do it myself, and can't get to a salon. Even if I get to a salon I would be afraid that I wouldn't be able to communicate my hip problem and the need to be gentle. I don't know anyone who has even the slightest interest in touching my or any one else's feet. I asked the visiting nurse if they had any contacts and googled it as well and nothing. It's really a problem .
 
Hi Branluc, I know what you mean about needing a pedicure. I finally asked a friend who used to be a nurse to cut my toenails. I was mortified but she didn't mind, but my bendy little toes were starting to hurt each other with their sharp nails, and I couldn't stand it any longer. I wouldn't have a pedicure just yet, but what about a podiatrist? They will probably cost a bit more, but they'll have no problem with touching your feet, and will have a bit more understanding of your limitations.
 
Never thought of that Octopus. Ill have to look into it. Thanks
 
Branluc and octopus I vote podiatrist too. They will not accidentally chop off one of your toes and cause one of those dreaded infections! I suppose I will have to use one before surgery-- I am famous to myself for cutting too close on the nasty fungusy ones and drawing blood. Not supposed to do that before surgery I don't think.... joint class told us NOT to get our teeth cleaned before surgery! Good think I had mine in January!
 
I've never heard about the teeth cleaning. I know I have to take antibiotics before any dental work for the next two years. I'm also not very good at pedicures and a podiatrist would be the safer option. Just Need to find one and get in before I go back to work. New project for next week.
 
Branluc it seems most people are told to get theri teeth cleaning out o fthe way beforehand. I have to tak antibiotics the rest of my life, but since I've been taking them almost 30 years anyway for MVP, it's no big deal for me. In between researching that podiatrist, rest, ice, elevate, and play number games for mental acuity LOL
 
Hi Braluc,
I've been following your posts. I'm glad to see you're doing so well.
You're been through a lot but you're now on the other side and on the way to getting your life back.
Re: Antibiotics and teeth cleaning - Initially I was told for 2 years. Now I was advised to take them for life.
No problem. I'd rather be save than sorry.

Hip Revision surgery apparently is indicated for me in the next year or so. X-Rays have shown a crack in the cement of my LHR indicating loosening. It was miracle surgery for me. I've had a great 5 years.

Take good care,
 
Hi Annette I'm so sorry to hear you need a revision but I suppose we all need to be greatful that there are procedures available to help us lead normal healthy lives. I know there are so many people who aren't as lucky as we are. Good luck on your next journey. I'm having a very lazy day and was lying here thinking about the last month and it is still hard to believe what I've been through but more importantly what I've accomplished.
 
it is still hard to believe what I've been through but more importantly what I've accomplished
Hear hear! When I think about the last 12months, all the pre-op pain (read: AGONY) I lived through, then the surgery (luckily I had no complications), then post-op pain to finally arrive at this place, I also find it hard to believe. It's almost like it was "someone else", not really me.
I often say... I've been to hell and back. And lived.
 
Allycat. Very well put. I somehow forget the pre op pain ( nearly 10 years worth). It was more like a way of life than an event. Living through the last month has overshadowed those years. Can't wait until all of it is a distant memory.
 
it is still hard to believe what I've been through but more importantly what I've accomplished.
Branluc AMEN you have accomplished so very much! Things that many people will never be called on to do. And you accomplished them well-- you are a shining example for us :)
 
Thank you! I'm sure there are others who've been through similar situations but if I can be of any help or encouragement to only one person that will be enough for me. I've said it too many times but again, I wish I'd found this forum years ago. It has truly been a tremendous help
 
Thank you Liveringer and right back at all of those who post on this forum. We've all suffered with our pre op pain and made the brave decision to do something about it , and have made our journey to the other side .
 
Went up and down the stairs today with no problem, with my cane of course. Got in my car and drove to have lunch with a friend. I've been taking steps,without the cane in my bedroom staying close to,the bed just in case. PT came today and has determined that I have sciatica. I had a feeling that's what my discomfort has been. It's the reason I've been unable to get a good nights sleep. I have to apply cold packs and alternate with heat and hope that the discomfort lessens. Other than that I really have no hip pain. Another obstacle but hopefully one that will lessen as the days go by . Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my second surgery . I have to admit i was totally exhausted when i got home from lunch.
 
Branluc wow you sound like you're doing SO well!! I am sorry about the sciatica, and glad that there's no other hip pain to speak of. Yay lunch out!
I cannot believe it's been two weeks! :)
 
I did drive . It's my left hip that I had done which made it easier. Slow but sure it is !!
 
Yes the sciatica is definitely causing a lot of discomfort but from what the PT said I caused it due to the way I've been carrying myself. I have to concentrate on walking and standing straight. I am definitely crooked. Lunch was fun and have plans for another lunch out on Sunday.
 
So pleased you had some time out... It is tough, trying to regain one's gait.. Heel toe, heel toe.. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom