Revision THR Branluc has moved over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heel toe and stop leaning. She had me stand in front of a full length mirror and take some steps . Uugghhh , I can clearly see how bad it is. It's going to take some hard work. The sciatic pain is very annoying. More of an intense ache that radiates down my leg into my ankle and of course when you're trying to sleep its all you can think about. I get more exercise trying to get comfortable than I do all day
 
Branluc
I've just caught up with your thread and you have been through the ringer! So sorry that you had to have a 2nd surgery but it sounds like you are bouncing back quickly just as you did from the first. You are sounding better each day! Keep up the good work!
 
Thank you Teacat. I am doing much better. I've started doing some walking without a cane. im still a bit shaky and hesitant but going a littler farther each day. Doing well on the stairs . I've been released from in home physical therapy and start outpatient on Thursday. Dr on Tuesday and If all goes well will return to work next Monday .
 
Wow, you are wizzing your way through recovery! I'm eight weeks and have just ditched the final crutch this week. All the best for your return to work next week.
 
Dr is holding me off until the 13 th but that's ok. Now that I'm able to get out of the house i plan on enjoying the extra week. Using the cane less and less. Having major sciatica pain. Started PT today. They will hopefully be able to get me some relief. Other than that the hip itself feels good. Just upset that after all the years of pain , and two surgeries I'm still not pain free .
 
octopus I had both my hips done a day before you, and felt ready for no cane at 3 weeks, so I stopped using it. But when I went to my first out-patient PT visit and complained about terrible knee pain I was having, he told me to use the cane again. "We're in no hurry" he said. So I started using the cane again, and the knee pain resolved within about a week or two. I was pushing myself to get better too fast and my legs weren't ready, I think.

Branluc I wonder if you're sciatic pain would be relieved somewhat if you continued to use your cane all of the time? It would take some of the stress off. Is it in your operated or unoperated leg? Maybe your PT could make a suggestion about that.
 
Branluc, what are you using for pain meds? How much and how often? It's not surprising that you're having sciatic pain, but it seems to me that it should be manageable with a good med combo. If you can post your info we can ask Jo to take a look and see if it needs tweaking.

Sharon
 
I went to the PT today. He watched me walk without the cane and felt I was doing well and didn't suggest using it more often. I go again on Saturday so I will ask that question. He did some treatment and applied heat. He will do laser treatments once I'm done with the blood thinning injections . As for, the meds I am taking oxycodone at bedtime only as I really am fine when I'm not lying down and also because I'm driving again. I also take Xanax with the oxycodone just to fall asleep. Please let me know if there's anything else as I am desperate for a good nights sleep. I wake around 5 or 6 and don't want to take pain meds again as it makes for a very loopy day . The rest of the night is spent tossing and turning to find a moments comfort . Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions . Wow octopus I didn't realize you had both hips done in one day. Sounds like you're doing great considering all that.
 
Am I understanding correctly that you experience the sciatic pain only when lying down? Not sitting, standing, or walking? I wonder if this could be piriformis. Paging alexthecat ....what do you think?

I can see that the oxycodone wouldn't hold you for a full night's sleep. I had good success with tramadol as my backup during the day. If you think you can handle that, it might work well for that 5-6 am tide-me-over. The problem is that if you take nothing during the day, you have to start from scratch at bedtime....you're always playing catch-up. Josephine.... advice needed here.
 
Branluc I am sorry about the sciatic pain, I sure understand "waiting this long and going through this much" only to be not yet pain free. You will ,love the laser treatment, if you haven't already used it some other time. Doesn't feel like anything while you're doing it, but the results are very nice! :)
 
Using the cane less and less. Having major sciatica pain.
Which suggests that perhaps you should still be using the cane. You need to have balance and support else you will get that kind of pain.
I wake around 5 or 6 and don't want to take pain meds again as it makes for a very loopy day .
There are other types on pain killers you know, it doesn't always have to be stuff like oxycodone.
Give this a try Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail.
 
I was taking the tramadol during the day but yes I have very little if no pain during the day so I stopped. It's just when I'm lying down and of course there are no other distractions so its all I can think about. I am going to get my tramadol and put it on my nightstand as that's a great suggestion , to take it when the pain wakes me in the early hours. So the " catch up" thing. Are you saying I should continue it during the day in hopes that it will help with the night pain? Thanks sharonslp. This is very helpful. I will watch for a response from Josephine as well.
Zauberflote. Thanks for that. I've never heard of this treatment for sciatica and at this point my faith in treatments isn't that great. That's very encouraging to hear. One more week of injections !!!!
Also sharonslp the pt did mention another condition that could be causing this pain but like your word above I had know idea what he was saying. Other than sciatica these are all new to me as is the pain.
 
Thanks Josephine. Back to more cane use it is. It gets confusing as the pt's don't give that advice. But I have enormous faith in this forum so I feel confident with your suggestion. I will try the tramadol tonight/early morning and also pickup some ibuprofen /Tylenol tomorrow. Hopefully something will work.
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!
 
Branluc Hey there my surgery buddy, how are things going with you? I hope all is well at your end. Tomorrow go to see the OS first time since I left the hospital. Things are going well at this end, I will probably be released to go back to work in 2 weeks. Which I will work 10 days and have the summer off and then go back in Sept. I believe I can handle that as I only work 3 1/2 hours a day but a hectic just the same, some days feels like 8 hr days. It does require lots of bending, lifting, standing in one spot and pushing.
 
Liveringer- Thanks for checking in with me.Thingshave been frustrating and I've been in a slump. (haven't been on the forum in a while) I'm back at work and its been rough both physically and emotionally. I don't work for the nicest man and his lack of compassion has been extremely hard to tolerate. You are sooo fortunate to be able to work a short day and then have the summer off. I wish there was a way i could retire but in this economy and living it Connecticut makes that next to impossible. On the hip side of things. I'm going to PT 2 x a week but quite honestly walking is very awkward and difficult at times. they tell me the hip/leg that was operateted on is a bit longer than the other and also my pelvis is out of alignment which is causing the problems. also still dealing with the sciatica. so, all that having been said, i'm in a not so good place. And would be interested in knowing if you (or anyone else) has experienced stomach problems. Finally called my GP yestereday. suggested some otc remedies which seemed to have helped a bit but i'm assuming its from all the meds and the iron i was taking. its been very uncomfortable. Please let me know how your visit goes tomorrow. Again, thanks for contacting me, i guess i've been avoiding "talking" about myself to anyone which i know is not healthy.
 
Branluc, I have just caught up with your thread. My goodness you have been through so much. And you are back to work already!

So sorry you are dealing with sciatic pain. As a person who has chronic sciatic pain my sympathies. Has your stomach settled yet? Are you able to take NAIDs? I found diclofenac worked wonders for me initially. Don't take it anymore as long term it can cause problems. But discuss your sciatic pain with your GP. PT works as well - but it can take quite a long time.

Hang in there and easy does it a work!
 
Branluc Not everyone has a smooth sailing recovery, you certainly have not had an easy go of it. You need this sight if nothing else to see you are not alone. I feel bad that you are still having problems with your sciatic pain, I know that is no picnic. I suffered that a year ago and that is when I found my current chiropracter and he is the one that treated me 6 mos. and wanted an x ray to see what was going on with the hip and he is the one that told me I needed to see an OS as I had BOB and arthirtis. I would probably need a hip replacement. I respect this man for being so honest with me. The other 2 chiropracter's I had knew I had this problem but kept saying they could fix me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom