TKR Brand New Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Heidi, I know what you mean about the lead up to the op. I feel the same, surgery day took forever to come. Being at home for 9 weeks, I can't believe where that time has gone. I'm so glad your leg is doing so well, leading up the stairs - that is so good. :yay:
 
Hello Heidi,
Thank you for visiting my pre-op thread. I am as ready as I will ever be :ok:Surgery is Monday
& I am ready! I am visiting everyone's thread personally, who has been there for me :friends:
You have truly been an inspiration to me :) Your kindness & taking the time to reply to me, has
been amazing :SUNsmile: You give the folks in Ma. a good reputation & you are a wonderful person & I thank you
for your comforting ways!
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Oh Diana thank you! I mean it all, it has been really good for me. In the hospital if you have pain, speak up. If no response speak up loudly! There are drugs for pain and they work. You will be OK!
Keep me posted!
Heidi
 
Hi Heidi, I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing Chowda playing. Is she a Jack Russell? I'm so encouraged by how well you are doing-my day is tomorrow. I've gotten everything packed I think and have to be at the hospital at 530 AM. So take care and keep posting. :)
 
Heidi - love your new avatar, you are a beautiful lady - inside and out!! :flwrysmile:

Glad all is going well for you, you have been so helpful with your kindness and caring posts, and it's made a big difference in my recovery to know you are there with support and such a good role model.

Love the Chowda pics and posts, keep them coming. I will have to post a few doggie pics later on, they are my daughter's dogs, but I take care of them a lot, and they love me as much as I love them. She has a lab, Murray and a beautiful Husky lady named Mara. They are not good friends, sadly they are very competitive. Murray was there first, and both he and Mara are alpha dogs, so they are always trying to out trump the other, it gets tedious at times. But they are beautiful, both rescues and good dogs.
 
These dogs are such a big part of our lives aren't they :puppysmooze: ? Chowda is a very submissive Jack Russell (though she tries to be tough stuff with us.) It's the funniest thing, if we take her for a walk she won't pee or poop at all. We could be gone an hour and nothing - but as soon as we get back to our yard she pees. I think if she smells any other dog she worries it isn't her territory. Our last Jack Russell was a real alpha female...hey come to think of it I've worked with a few of those myself...:heehee:
 
Hi Heidi. I've just peeped at your post. It's very uplifting - and I was so glad to find I'm not the only one who's found the boredom and tediousness of the recovery hard to deal with.
I've got my other knee pending as well.
Great that you are doing so well and very upbeat.
 
Thanks Hopper! I had very few low moments during recovery (other than a weepy day in the hospital :boohoo: ) but the boredom...oh my goodness....I wanted to scream!! I have to do something about that before my LTKR in October, take up some kind of hobby that can be done while sitting. I don't knit or do anything handy like that, in fact the only salvation for me was my iPad and scanning the news, checking this forum etc.

I told my visiting PT that once I was finally up and about I was going to burn the couch so I never had to look at it again.:tantrum: ..I didn't of course. It's really a very nice couch....
 
That made me laugh! Poor sofa. :sad:
My iPad is almost worn out. Like you, i hope I might be a bit more prepared for the next time around as well.
Do let me know if you find an interesting pastime that might prevent screaming in Ma and Va later in the year. :yay:
 
Well I'd suggest wine tasting, nice and peaceful and it can be done from a sitting position....but the visiting nurse might frown on it...:cheers2:

So OK no wine tasting. I'll keep thinking.
 
I did think bungy jumping out of our apartment windows could be fun. It would certainly help with the leg extension!
Getting back in might be a issue..... :egypdance:
 
Hi Heidi, sounds like you are doing really well. I've just been catching up on your thread. I saw the news about your new grandchild on Jenny @kimejen's thread. Congratulations. Something to really look forward to after knee two.
I had my Pre op assessment for knee two today, all uneventful. I just need to wait for a date now. It is likely to be sometime between mid July and October.
Have a great week, hugs, Toothfairy x :rolleyes: :flwrysmile:
 
I am 5 months post TKR today and what a difference in my quality of life. I am just really pleased at my ability to enjoy my usual activities (hence the new kayaking avatar with my little grand daughter.) There is sometimes a little clicking or clacking with the new knee but it does whatever I ask it to do, and even after sitting for prolonged periods of time it doesn't stiffen up the way it used to. I stopped out patient PT at the end of May and have just exercised at home. Our weekends up at our little lake house have been the best. It is 46 steps from the house down to our dock and swimming area and on an average summer day I do those stairs 4 or 5 times. I get down there and realize I forgot the sunscreen, or my book, or I need a snack. Do a flight of stairs like that 4 or 5 times daily and you will have super strong thighs :dancy: which is good for the knees!

My left knee is another story - it is really getting painful, and it does keep me from my morning walk and things like that. Fortunately it does allow me to swim. I am counting the weeks until the LTKR in October, and while I kind of dread the recovery (the lack of mobility and boredom :doh: I experienced the first time around) I am so looking forward to two good knees. I wish I had had this done sooner, and I wish I had had both knees done at once! Oh well live and learn.

For all my Bonesmart penpals, here is a photo of the whole family taken two weeks ago up at the lake. Our three grown children plan a week every year where they all plan on "coming home" so that we are all together. That is rare since we are all spread around. It's a fun week, lots of shopping cooking, and once they are gone, for me lots of cleaning...but so so worth it.

Hope everyone is doing well - I haven't logged in much these last few months and I miss "conversing" with all of you!

Heidi
[Bonesmart.org] Brand New Day!
 
Dera Heidi!

So good to see you and I just saw my notification that you had posted, when I sat down to lunch, and just had to log in and let you know how happy I am to see how well you are doing! And what a lovely family you have ... thanks for the picture, I just love looking at pictures!

Just got back from running errands and shopping, and it's amazing how much I can do pain free now. Isn't it wonderful?

I'm almost where you are, although I still have a few aches and pains, now and then, for the most part I am painfree and very mobile without any type of medication. When it rains, I might take two Tylenol, just to be able to keep going, but swelling is down, bend and flexion where I need them to be, walking stairs etc. I still ice and elevate and get my rest, but mostly at night, when I sit down to watch TV or read.

I understand your dread about doing the left knee, but time flies, and before you know it, you'll be on the other side again and grateful for two painfree and flexible knees.

It still amazes me how much I can do already, I'm not quite at 5 months, I think it's 4 1/2 (have stopped counting to be honest ) but I can carry heavy bags, walk for hours, sit and cross my legs, walk up and down stairs (down still slow, but the normal way) and stand in the kitchen, to cook and bake for my daughter - she had her baby - my first grandson is 4 weeks old today :) Very happy with him, he's so cuddly, healthy and quite cute ... I'm cooking and baking all organic, wheatfree, grassfed meats, certified organic chicken etc. For the baby mostly, she's nursing him around the clock, and he is growing visibly, from day to day. We've been taking turns, one day she comes to my house, the next I go to her house. It's been such a gift to have this extra month off, both for recovery, as for the chance to have this special time with her and Hudson.

Ok, so glad I had a minute to check in ... have to get busy, my two little Sweeties will be here in 2 hours, and I am making several goodies, also for the long weekend.

Happy Labor Day early, I know it will be a fun one for you, and sending you big hugs, my little BoneSmart buddy!!

:friends:
 
Dear Heidi,
Is that really you in the canoe ? :) you are doing so well. I will be 3 months sept. 3 & except for a bit of tightness,
All is going well. I am back to work :happydance: done with p.t & am on my own :dancy:
My husbands sister rents a 5 bedroom Victorian in Chatham, ma.for 2 weeks ( they always close the beach for sharks ) :yikes:
I told my husband to go with the kids, because he has been so good to me during my recovery. I can't go because of work.
I will stay home with my son & daughter....he will go with our other son & daughter.
I didn't know you were having your other knee done....we will have to keep in touch :)
From one Bostonian to another......take care....
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Heidi So good to hear that your knee is doing so great. I am a little over four months post op and I know what you are talking about. Every day it seems to get better and better and I almost feel like I am back to normal (or as close as I have ever been). :heehee: I actually get busy doing activities and forget all about my knee and that hasn't happened for years. I, too, have some issues with my other knee but it is not yet bad enough for replacement. I am sure another replacement is in my future though. It seems to be following the same pattern that my replaced knee did.

Now I understand why a lot of people have the bilateral surgery. I know it would have been difficult but to only have to go through recovery one time would be a real plus. Oh well, too late for us. You have a beautiful family and the older we get the more precious time with family becomes! Enjoy your Labor Day weekend and have fun doing all the things we couldn't do before we got our new knee!!
 
I am 5 months post TKR today and what a difference in my quality of life. I am just really pleased at my ability to enjoy my usual activities (hence the new kayaking avatar with my little grand daughter.) There is sometimes a little clicking or clacking with the new knee but it does whatever I ask it to do, and even after sitting for prolonged periods of time it doesn't stiffen up the way it used to. I stopped out patient PT at the end of May and have just exercised at home. Our weekends up at our little lake house have been the best. It is 46 steps from the house down to our dock and swimming area and on an average summer day I do those stairs 4 or 5 times. I get down there and realize I forgot the sunscreen, or my book, or I need a snack. Do a flight of stairs like that 4 or 5 times daily and you will have super strong thighs :dancy: which is good for the knees!

My left knee is another story - it is really getting painful, and it does keep me from my morning walk and things like that. Fortunately it does allow me to swim. I am counting the weeks until the LTKR in October, and while I kind of dread the recovery (the lack of mobility and boredom :doh: I experienced the first time around) I am so looking forward to two good knees. I wish I had had this done sooner, and I wish I had had both knees done at once! Oh well live and learn.

For all my Bonesmart penpals, here is a photo of the whole family taken two weeks ago up at the lake. Our three grown children plan a week every year where they all plan on "coming home" so that we are all together. That is rare since we are all spread around. It's a fun week, lots of shopping cooking, and once they are gone, for me lots of cleaning...but so so worth it.

Hope everyone is doing well - I haven't logged in much these last few months and I miss "conversing" with all of you!

Heidi
[Bonesmart.org] Brand New Day!
Heidi! So good to read your post. I am your neighbor that lives in Maynard, if you recall our posts from a few months ago. I was telling a hip replacement acquaintance about bonesmart yesterday, and I thought of you, only because I was telling her that I connected with people locally through the forum. ! I have been negligent about posting these last few months, so thank you for giving me a reason to get back onto the forum. I am so happy to hear about your progress, although sorry that the other knee is giving you a problem (although sounds like you have a plan for that).

What a beautiful family picture! How wonderful that you have enjoyed the summer at your lake house. My husband and I just spent two weeks on the Cape (Monomoscoy Island, a part of Mashpee), and mostly in our kayaks. It was wonderful. AND, it was especially wonderful to walk ANYWHERE, esp. on sandy beaches, and not have pain. Also, I used to get stiff from sitting in the kayak too long, but that is no longer an issue either.

Congratulations, and good luck with knee #2. I had my TRKR done in mid October of last year, and by January 1st, I was more than good to go. You will do great!
 
Hi Heidi. So good to see how well you're doing. October 18 will be here before you know it. You did so well with your first knee, I have no doubt you will be the same with the second one. So lovely to see a pic of your family. What a beautiful family you have. I had to smile seeing Chowda in the pic, my Tiny is always in our pics, and it just shows how we value them as part of the ffamily. Tiny is missing me now that I'm back at work. I go in if it's very busy which it is at the moment, but I do get the odd day home and then I have Tiny and the two cats by my side enjoying having the company. We will be seeing our precious granddaughter twice this week. Had the family over for son-in-laws birthday on Wednesday night and it was Lillian's first night-time outing and she had her going out clothes on. What a precious little darling. Sunday is Father's day here and the family will be here to celebrate Dad's day as well as our son's first Daddy's day.Interesting to see Barb eastside85 has a new grand baby, similar in age to Lillian. Very special times for us all blessed with grandchildren. Sunday is supposedly the first day of spring and we have had the most glorious weather. You would be heading into autumn soon, but you've had a wonderful summer by the sounds of things. Our summer is very humid and a lot of days are horrid here in Brisbane. But, the change of seasons are the BEST. Heidi, you take care. Always lovely to touch base with you. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Lovely family picture and beautiful setting. I miss being on the water. In Michigan our home was across the street from the lake and I could slip in a canoe or sailboat whenever I could free myself the time.

I will be seeing an OS about my other knee in a month. My recovery has been challenging, so I'm really not at all eager to do a repeat, but maybe I should if it is going to carry on being a painful problem.

Enjoy the fall colors before Oct. 18.
 
Hello Heidi, what a lovely family! You inspired me early on in this process and it is wonderful to see how well you have done. Nothing but good positive energy for you with your next one.

I am just a little past 3 months post op and since I had the manipulation I see marked progress every week. It is all good and I am taking good care of my other knee.

I will be thinking of you on October 18th.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom