TKR Brand New Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Heidi,
Time to sleep, rest,relax and heal. Welcome to your new knee,
Onwards with a smooth and trouble free recovery,
Hugs
Toothfairy x :yay: :yes!: :sleep:
 
Hi Heidi, Congratulations on your second new knee. Sounds like all went well, now all you've got to do is recover and you'll be as good as new. Just keep dreaming of next summer at the Lakehouse, two fabulous knees, swimming, kayaking and just enjoying a pain free life. Something great to look forward to. Well done. You know the Mantra well and how well it works, so you'll do great. Take care and a big HUG :friends: for being a brave girl second time round. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Second day going well. Femoral block and cath still so I needed a leg brace for PT to help me take my first steps. The new knee's maiden voyage and it did quite nicely :SUNsmile: Have had the CPM on yesterday afternoon and again today and it is now set at 85. It's very slow and gentle and feels good. 10 mg Oxycondin every 3 hours starting around 3:00 am for the pain that creeps in the back of the knee and up sides. Femoral block is effective for front of knee but needs back up meds for the break through pain that follows. Anyway, I am pain free at the moment, no issues and happy as a clam!
 
Hi Heidi,
That's a brilliant day two report. You sound very well which is just great.
Congratulations on your sucessful maiden voyage.
Hope they are looking after you very well,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Heidi, Great job. :yay: Glad the first walk went well. Can only get better from here on in. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Good morning Heidi, day three already.
Have a good Sunday,
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Heidi, Day three and soon you will be home and we all know "there is no place like home". It sounds like your hospital is treating you well and managing pain just like mine did which is great and most of the battle. Hope you have a wonderful day and will be home soon.:puppysmooze: :flwrysmile:
 
I can't believe it has been 10 days kimejen Jenny, the post op time flies by compared to pre op which seems like eternity! I really am doing well and in some ways even better than the first time. I think that is mostly due to knowing what to expect and not being afraid. I know my capabilities and I don't push it but I'm also not treating myself like a sick person. The first time I approached it as if I was sick and this time I am more of the attitude I am recovering from surgery but definitely not ill. Home care is great and really helps. Nurse and OT are coming 3x a week and I have the same kind Aussie PT I had with the first knee. Pain is once again very manageable and I just keep ahead of it with the pain meds. I'm sleeping really well (thank you sleep meds!) and like before upstairs in my own bed from the first day home. Only 3 nights in the hospital which was even better. Hubby is back to work this week but my daughter is staying until the end if the week so I really am enjoying her company. Our morning coffee hour is more like two and we solve a lot of the world's problems!

Only one issue in the hospital which still really bugs me. On day 2 post op a new PT came in my room and announced I didn't need the leg stabilizer (brace) anymore. That didn't seem right to me since the femoral block was still in and my leg was still partially numb but I figured she was the expert. She got me out of bed and had me walk the hallway on crutches then left me in my room sitting in a chair. I had to go to the bathroom so I rang the nurse who came in and helped me into the bathroom and then left me alone. I went to the bathroom and then figured while I was in there I would brush my teeth. In so doing the knee just completely buckled (it actually felt like there was no leg there) and I fell. I went down fast but managed to grab the sink on the way down so I landed on my behind with the new knee completely bent. Fortunately I didn't hit my head or land on the knee. Anyway I slid over to the pull cord and called the nurse and when she opened the door and found me on the floor she yelled for help and they got me up and in a chair. No injury other than I think I cried for over an hour :cry: it really scared me! They called the hospital doc and my OS who both came in and were not happy that the PT had taken the brace off - hospital protocol is that it stays on 12-24 hours after nerve block is removed,and mine was still in! So a report was written up and I hope that dumb woman gets a reprimand at the least! My first TKR fall and it scared the **** out of me.
 
That fall would be very scary. I also feel I did better with the second knee than the first and I think a lot of that knowing what to expect and more belief that the knee will hold you up and it is strong and of course as usual following the bone smart mantra.

Glad you are home and have such great company this week. Wonderful. :) :flwrysmile:
 
Oh Heidi, I feel sad that you had a fall :sad: it brought back memories when I had my fall. It isn't pleasant at all. I do hope that PT gets a severe reprimand. They of all people should know better. Glad you've got your daughter spending some time with you. Daughters are very special in taking your mind off things. Good to hear that you are happy with the way everything is progressing second time round. Take care. Big hug from across the globe. Bet Chowda is enjoying having you in one place. I think my Tiny misses those days!! Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Heidi, hope you are doing great with your last knee surgery. I loved the picture of the fall colors that you posted. I would dearly love to live on the water somewhere. Anyway, take care and behave yourself so this knee will be as wonderful as the other.
 
Hi Heidi,
I'm just popping by to say hello and see how you are doing. I have not been on here much as life has been busy.
I am really pleased that you are making such good progress. Well done.
Your hospital fall sounds awful. What a traumatic experience for you. No wonder you are still cross.
Enjoy your time with your daughter and keep up the gentle and steady progress.
Two shiny new knees now. Enjoy,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :yahoo:
 
Heidi, just checking in to see how you are progressing at home and sending some positive thoughts your way. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Hello Heidi,
So Sorry to hear about your fall :yikes: you must of been in shock. I hope you didn't hurt yourself.
How is your recovery going ? Icing & elevating, pain meds on time :ok: I am glad your daughter is
Staying with you, so comforting. :console2: Tell Chowda I said "Hi" :puppysmooze:
We just got a new puppy, his name is "Koda" half Lab, part Husky.
If you have time I posted some pictures of him on my thread.
Have a restful weekend,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone, I'm doing really well. Very very BORED :groan: (sound familiar?) but well! No injuries from that nasty hospital fall, but if I saw that stupid PT in the supermarket I think I'd stick my foot out and trip her. How is that for TKR vigilantism :wink: ?
I have the same Aussie visiting PT I had before which is so nice and shy feels like an old friend. This knee is a bit easier, have gotten a nice 117 flexion and I'm able to do more things independently. I am only taking the prescription pain meds in the evening at this point, and otherwise seem fine with extra strength Tylenol.

My husband officially begins retirement next week so I that's a huge incentive to get moving. Lots of places to see and of course new grandchild coming the end of December.

My daughter left this morning for a conference in New York so poor Chowda is stuck with just me. If possible I think she is even more bored than I am. I'm on one end of the couch, she lays on the other and just stares off into space. I owe her a nice long walk when I' m able - and lots of playtime outside once we have snow...which could easily be by the end of the month here in Massachusetts.

Thank you all for checking in - it's so nice to log in and see that little red message alert icon. It helps fill the day!

Heidi
 
[Bonesmart.org] Brand New Day!
Good to hear that the fall is a thing of the past with no lingering after effects and that this knee is being a good boy for you. Sorry about the boredom---just part of the price to pay to have a second new pain free knee.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Heidi.
What wonderful progress you are making. Great bend.
Sorry to hear about the boredom. Not much fun.
Hopefully having your husband around will help. Lots of exciting times to look forward to.
Maybe you can get out and about a bit more when he is there.
Hang on in there as this stage will soon pass.
You are well on your way. Take care,
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom