TKR Brand New Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Heidi,
Lovely post about you getting back into normal clothes. Great that you are feeling well and making steps towards normal life. It didn't come across as vain to me, what came across was understandable pleasure in your progress and an encouraging message for others. Good Post :goodpost:
Hi Jenny kimejen good news about your walks, brilliant progress. Don't worry about still being in soft clothes, I am at 9 weeks and only recently progressed to non joggers. I am still careful about what I wear and generally am finding a skirt and tights most comfy as it leave my knees free. You will get there!
You are both doing really well,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :yes:
 
I have to confess the jeans were great until late afternoon and then I could not wait to take them off and put on soft cotton pants :sad: ! The denim just started to scratch against the incision. But it's a start.
Today is sunny and quite warm so I have on shorts. I just sat out on the deck to get a little sun but I put a dish towel over the knee...sunburn and incisions are not a good combination! My daughter was home for a short visit which was lovely, we did some shopping yesterday and went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch. And I drove! First time behind the wheel and I was thrilled, you could probably all hear me (even those of you on the other side of the world) cheering myself on! :spin: She is a writer and just finished a one year teaching fellowship at a college in New York, is interviewing for other positions but in the meantime will move all her belongings back home and spend some time with us. I love having her around, she is so much fun to talk to and such good company. My youngest son graduates from college on the 19th so then he will be back home for a few weeks. He plans on spending the summer and fall hiking the Appalachian Trail which runs the length of the eastern US. He plans on going on to either a graduate program in chemistry, or medical school. I'm pushing medical school...orthopedics to be exact.:heehee: Our oldest son, his wife and little girl live about 5 hours south of us, so we will stop and visit them next week on our way south to the younger son's graduation. Haven't seen any of the children since before my TKR but I'm really feeling up to traveling again and spending time together. Dear husband will have to do the driving though...not quite ready for the interstate!

Jenny, love the story of Tiny's torn devotion between mum and dad :puppysmooze: - these little dogs are such good companions aren't they? My Chowda has been so careful with me, she follows me around the house but she is very aware that she is not to jump on mom! She seems to know there is something not quite right with my knee.

We were up at the lake for the weekend, weather was sunny and almost hot. Chowda is obsessed with the little fish that swim in the shallow areas and spends most of her time standing in the water watching intently for one to swim near. When one does, she dives in head first! I have never seen a dog do this, she is so funny. Our beach area is down a series of about 30 steps from the house. I really wanted to sit down on the dock and watch her and take a few pictures...so I took my trusty cane and slowly made my way down. No mishaps, no falls! And here are a couple of good pictures of her fishing (the diving one shows her tail sticking up and she goes into the water head first )

[Bonesmart.org] Brand New Day!
[Bonesmart.org] Brand New Day!
 
Love that your life is slowly getting back to normal. I am anxiously waiting for this recovery to end and normalcy to come back into my life. My knee has been in control of my life so much for the past year and a half, that I have probably forgotten what a normal life is all about! So glad your surgery is behind you and you can enjoy all these exciting things that are upcoming in your life. Keep on keepin on!!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Love that your life is slowly getting back to normal. I am anxiously waiting for this recovery to end and normalcy to come back into my life. My knee has been in control of my life so much for the past year and a half, that I have probably forgotten what a normal life is all about! So glad your surgery is behind you and you can enjoy all these exciting things that are upcoming in your life. Keep on keepin on!!!! :flwrysmile:
Cathy,
Isn't that the truth - it feels like for the longest time the first thing I would think of in the morning was the knee! I honestly have moments now (this is week 6 for me) when I don't even think about the new knee. It really is feeling good, some stiffness of course, but not painful. The other knee screams in protest more and more but I want to enjoy my summer, get some swimming in, and then I will tackle the LTKR in October sometime. I have to pop over to your thread and read how things are going - need to catch up on the status of all my Bonesmart friends!

Heidi
 
hi heidi , its nice to hear you are getting into your summer shorts :yay: i thought about doing the same today but thought they would look a bit strange because i am still wearing the TED STOCKINGS so for me its just baggy wide leg comfy trousers geez my legs have been warm though we have had a few lovely sunny warm days here at last which has been great for relaxing in the garden with feet up and the ice packs .:) your photos are lovely . best wishs marie :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you Toothfairy - I've been reading some of the pre op threads and I just feel empathy for so many people who are anticipating surgery and are anxious. I had that same feeling of dread - honestly wasn't as bad as I anticipated, and now it makes me so appreciative of the little "normalcies" of life. I get that same feeling from your posts :yes: (Of course, some little "normalcies" like cleaning the toilets, or unloading the dishwasher are still a drag! Oh well, can't have everything!)

Heidi
 
[Bonesmart.org] Brand New Day!
Baystater,
FYI: It is not necessary to use the "Quote This Message" to reply to a post. This feature should be used only when there is a post or several posts on another topic between your post and the post you want to respond to.

To reply to a post, just put your cursor in the dialogue box and start typing.

You can quote a sentence or a section of a post by simply highlighting it and clicking on the "Quote Me" oblong that appears in gray at the end of the highlighted selection. This is frequently a better choice than quoting a whole post.

Please do not be upset by this bit of info---many new members have this very same problem---so you're in very good company---and we're not mad at you---just trying to keep the forum neat and tidy.
 
I love your photos Heidi,
I just love being by the sea, I always feel happy there. We plan to live by the sea when I retire.
Your little dog is very cute. You are doing brilliantly with your recovery and each day is a day nearer to being fully recovered.
Sounds like you are heading for some quality family time, enjoy,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:
 
So encouraging to hear how well you are doing; makes me feel less anxious. How was driving ; did it feel wierd after all this time. It is nice that out of a supposedley bad thing (knee surgery), good can come out of it like the appreciation of the little things and I would suppose also of your family. Are you off pain meds during the day; I was thinkign that driving would not be possible until a few months after surgery when the pain meds are stopped.
Keeep letting us know how you are doing
Karyn
 
Karyn,
I was able to stop the pain meds pretty much by the end of the second week post surgery. The first two weeks I really depended on them every 3 to 4 hours but then things just started to feel better (though occasionally during the night I took a Vicodin.) I used Tylenol until the end of week 4 because I was on the blood thinner until then and so I couldn't take any ibuprofen. But...as soon as I was done with the blood thinner I switched to ibuprofen and it works quite well for me. I know that is not the case for many people and trust me if I had needed those pain meds I would have taken them - I'm no hero :wink: My OS said he didn't want me to drive until I could go up a step on my right leg. PT worked with me on that and once I could I felt confident getting behind the wheel.
Heidi
 
Hello Heidi,
Glad to hear you are doing so well :) Your pictures are "Awesome" :puppysmooze:. I believe all of us in MA.
would love to retire to either ME, or N.H- your place is absolutely beautiful, peaceful, truly god's paradise.
we usually vacation in Ogunquit ME, or camping in N.H. I love New England ( winters too! ) & wouldn't
live anywhere else.
P.S- Your doggies name is great-even how you spell it.
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Diana, we are so lucky to live in New England, I agree. (My husband has a colleague from the UK and he always jokes he prefers the "Old" England..)

Chowda owes her name to a brand of chowder we saw in a supermarket one time, thought it was a cute doggie name :puppysmooze:

Drove to my first out patient PT session today. Nice, gentle therapist - we will get along well! He said right off that if anything hurts we stop. He showed me how to safely do the stationary bike so that is something to look forward to. I bought one after my last menisectomy and I like how it felt on the knees and have been hoping to ride it again.
 
Hi Heidi, Love, love, love those piccies of Chowda. What a fun thing for her to do, chasing little fish. Sooooo cute. So glad you were able to get down the stairs to waters edge. Well done. How nice for you to have family around for a while. Such a pity it didn't work out that they were with you when you first had your TKR. Something lovely to look forward to. Have a great day. :puppysmooze:​
 
Heidi, I have just now caught up on your recovery thread...love your positive outlook and enthusiasm. I know it isn't always smooth sailing, but I say you get back what you put out into the universe. And I am hoping to be putting more and more enthusiasm out there. Another day and I will be 2 weeks post-op and I cannot believe how the time has flown! I love your cabin and Chowda is priceless.
Here is to all of us in every stage of our journey. Winners all!! :beer:
 
Hello Heidi,
You are doing so good !! I can't even walk around Loew's or Home Depot, maybe after my
replacement. I believe I heard we were having a freeze watch tonight. :doh:Looks like I won't be planting
my pansies for awhile. I wonder if you could give me some advise?
My LTKR is on June 3rd, my other knee is really bothering me. I do have cartiledge (sp) & minor arthritis.
Did your good knee give you problems? Did it feel better after your replacement? What did you do?
Thank you so much,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Diana,
For years my left knee was my good knee but last year I twisted it getting up off the floor and tore the cartilage. I hobbled around for awhile and tried cortisone shots but to no avail. It was really painful, so I ended up having a menisectomy. My OS said afterwards that the osteoarthritis was quite severe and the knee would probably need to be replaced. It gives me a lot of problems and the new knee feels fantastic. So, I will have the LTKR this fall...I want to enjoy my summer first and swim, swim, swim!

In your case if the OA isn't too bad I bet PT can help you strengthen that leg while you rehab the new knee? The quads especially.

My recovery has been so good, now in my 7th week and after going to PT today my daughter and I went to lunch then walked around the mall and got manicures and pedicures. I limped a bit at the mall because of the OLD knee. So, moral of story TKR improves quality of life :)
 
Heidi,
Thank you so much for your speedy reply ! I have my replacement class 5-29 it is at P.T
I think I will try some Advil & ice. I really went down hill fast, March 25 at my surgeons office I
didn't even hurt ( I knew I would need a LTKR 10 yrs ago & I lasted 11yrs) Now I walk like I'm 90,
not a pretty sight.
You are doing so well :SUNsmile: Give Chowda a big hug :puppysmooze:
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Two months post op today - the fact that two months have gone by just amazes me! The three months leading up to surgery seemed like a lifetime :cry: and yet here I am this far into my recovery!

Things have gone really, really well for me :spin: and at this point when I walk I lead with the operative leg, especially going up stairs. It is so much stronger and more dependable...so I have gone ahead and scheduled my LTKR for October 18th. My OS agreed it is holding me back and there is no point in still having knee pain. I want to enjoy my summer and swim, swim, swim. Get myself in good shape to do this one more time!

Heidi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom