Bilateral THR Both Sides NOW!

MMMMMMM>>>>>>pot roast! What time is dinner served????
 
You know Deb, the hardest part of giving up my hospital bed was getting rid of the head & leg raising part! Isn't that a luxery! Well, in anyevent, when I could navigate the stairs alone, I knew it was time...

I actually kept mine for 3 months after I got home. Having a fracture, I had to stay off that leg for longer. But, i did stay on the first floor for probably longer than I needed to.

You sound like you are doing fantastic for having bilats. Keep up the great work :thumb:!
 
Hello Deb,

Love reading about how well you are doing, you really are amazing and it's fabulous how quickly you are recovering! Pretty stunning when you think about it.

Sending you lots of love and good wishes,

xxooxx
 
(((Sandy))), (((Jayme))), (((Janet))), (((Sarah))) - pot roast was delicious! We didn't eat until about 9pm .... but it was well worth the wait :) I cleaned up since Eric and his lady love Brandy did the cooking - even carried plates to the table without using a crutch - and no limp and even the side to side sailor's waddle seems to have gone :) And today I walked all the way from front room to kitchen and back without a crutch ..... lol sort of forgot to pick it up on my way to the kitchen :th_heehee:

Hope you all have a wonderful week!
 
Hi Deb

Just checking in with you, sitting here on my Monday off going through deep and meaning full thoughts about life and living...

Hope you are doing good - slow and steady, lots of love xx
 
Hi Sandy! Thanks for checking in :) I'm doing quite well - my incisions are all healed up and no scabs - I'm walking mostly without a crutch around the house though I still take one along when I go out. I'm not having any pain unless I sit too long then it's only in my back side. I've also graduated to taking stand up showers rather than sitting on the bath bench - was getting cold using the hand held shower since I could not keep the warm water flowing over me while I washed. I just got home from having dinner with some friends - delicious lasagna, salad, garlic bread and good company - a lovely way to spend a Sunday evening. And Friday I went and had a lovely pedicure and manicure - with wonderful leg and foot and arm massage!! Absolutely heaven! It has been so long since I've been able to reach my feet and lower legs except with a long handled brush :biggrin:

I start outpatient PT next week and am looking forward to getting started. And my appointment with my surgeon is coming up on the 25th - hopefully I'll be released from all restrictions then.

I still have not braved sleeping upstairs in my own bed yet - lol I think I'm enjoying the hospital bed features too much ;)
 
Hi Deb,

Ooooooooo the manicure and pedicure sounds heavenly good for you!

I'm giggling tonight about you commenting on the hospital bed, do you have one that has a remote control and can move you from sitting upright to laying down, if yes that makes sense why you are enjoying hahahahaha!

Glad you are doing so well! Have a good week...

xxooxx
 
Yes Sarah it is that remote control that has me enjoying this bed so much - it will raise and lower both head and foot of the bed and I can choose multiple positions for both head and foot. It's great for elevating legs. :cat-kittyandsmiley: one cat loves the rides and the other one is scared of them and will run away when I reposition the bed.
 
Hi Deb....

That's the best part of the hospital bed is the remote hehehehehe the actual mattress though I never found that comfortable. Did your insurance cover the bed for you, or did you have to pay on your own?
 
Sarah - this mattress isn't too bad - and it helps that I put a memory foam pad on it before the sheets ;) No my insurance would not pay for it but it's only $75 per month so that does not break the bank. Well worth the cost for the convenience it provides!
 
Hmmm...I had Medicare and Medex and it paid for mine! I also put an egg crate mattress pad (well, Bill did :DOH:) under the sheet although it made it a little harder to operate the remote and not have it rip the fitted sheet off :th_heehee:.

I still miss the remote! But, I'm sure I'll be having it again sooner rather than later...
 
Hi Deb.....

That was a good price. Better if insurance had paid but your right I would have paid in your situation with both hips! I've been tempted the last year to get one of those sleep numbers with the remote I think that's just for the mattress though, some of them might adjust. That is a nice treat especially if you laying bed watching TV heavenly!

Here's some good news to share.....my bed is a platform bed and very low down, definitely breaks the 90% rule but now doesn't matter because I have no restrictions. Tonight I realized I was sitting on the bed and can get up without using my hands for support. Using both legs equally too to lift up! Just thought of that probably because of bed chit chat!

Sending lots of love....

xxooxx
 
Sarah - one of several issues I have with moving back to my own bedroom (in addition to difficult stairs and no bathroom up there) is that, although it is a platform bed, my bed is quite high - has a thick pillowtop mattress plus a memory foam pad on it. I almost need a step stool to clamber into bed - and that was before my hips went wonky! I tried it with the home PT gal and did OK but it was still awkward especially with the hip restrictions! Hopefully next week when I finally see the surgeon I'll get the restrictions lifted.

With the hospital bed my cousin was able to adjust the height on it so I can sit down easily without breaking restrictions, lean back, grab the side rail (even when it's not in the up position) and swing both legs up at once. Of course I was doing the 2 legs at once maneuver before surgery as it hurt too much to try to do one leg at a time ..... PT was amazed at my "flawless mount and dismount" .....:hysterical: And she also was amazed at my into and out of car routine - but again I'd been doing it "the right way" for months - because that was the way that hurt the least!

Had a lovely visit with a friend today - we had grilled salmon, french fries, peas and chocolate ice cream - and watched The King's Speech It was a lovely way to spend a rather dismal day - it's been snowing off and on here all day - fortunately in my neighborhood it has not been sticking. But there is another storm front moving in - my housemate got home a bit ago and said it was pouring rain - and the temperature is dropping. We may have white on the ground before morning.
 
Me again Deb.....

My bad habit is with taking early morning naps or midday ones I'm still awake at midnight ooopppss!

You sleeping downstairs makes total sense, I couldn't imagine going up and down stairs to use bathroom that could be tough especially if you had to get up in the night too. I still get up every couple of hours to pee the thought of stairs would have scared me. It is amazing how you got in and out of the bed so easily with both hips...

Dinner sounds delicious! I haven't seen that movie yet, I've been really bad the las couple of months with watching TV....hang on I can watch all the junk TV but nothing too long, my attention span is pretty low!

Your in the northwest yes? If yes they talked about a monster storm hitting that part of the country. Brrrrrrrrrrrr as long as you can stay home and look out of the window at the pretty snow that's nice! If you had to get out and drive or walk not nice!

Bedtime for me......

Night night..

xxooxx
 
Hi Deb, good luck with seeing your OS, hope you have good news about your restrictions.. Isn't memory foam just the greatest?

p.s. I have forgotten about the info regarding my new office chair, it is my day off tomorrow, so will send you the details.

Yummy, yummy food :) xxx and big, big hugs xx
 
The "monster storm" mostly hit the Oregon coast - this time any way. Poor folks along the shore got slammed with very high winds - reports of winds up to 110 mph in some areas! So there's lots of trees down, power outages, and debris all over the place. Where I live we got snow Tuesday night - a couple of inches of it - but it was mostly gone by 10am. Now it's raining - typical Oregon weather - nice for our greenery but not real great for taking outside walks :(

Today is my first outpatient PT appointment - I'm eager to see what will be involved in that ..... while I'm not having any severe muscle pains I do get some twinges now and then when doing my exercises or if I've over done things a bit. They don't last long thank goodness. I have been having some lower back pain when I walk with my cane - though that does not arise when I use one crutch. I wonder if the crutch helps me walk "tall" ( :hysterical: well as tall as 5'2" can get) and the cane rather promotes listing to one side. Will ask PT about that.

This morning I managed to go down stairs to the laundry area to get clean towels without using cane or crutch ...... and managed to do stairs the normal way :biggrin: and carry an arm load of towels back up with me.

Well time to get ready to head out ..... will post later about the PT visit
 
You know Deb, I had to remove my memory foam as I was literally "stuck" in it! Yes, it was way too high after my THR as well, but between trying to roll over and getting stuck and twisted up in my night gown, I started sleeping in the guest room!

Almost killed myself with the darn thing! Anyway, gave it to my daughter and now it is the perfect height! However, his highness snores so loud, I think I am staying put :th_heehee:....

Of course, none of this with the memory foam topper was bothersome until I gained weight :hairpulling:
 
Hi Deb, I just found your post. I had both hips done June 15th, posterior approach. Although I wouldn't say it was a piece of cake, I wouldn't do it any other way.

I live in a 5 level house and the hospital would only let me stay 3 days after surgery so I went to re-hab for 4 days, just long enough to learn how to get up the steps to my bedroom. I have 4 steps into the house, 7 to the upstairs and my bedroom suite has 3 steps to the bathroom. I went home exactly 7 days after the surgery. I used a walker for about a week, (after coming home) then graduated to crutches. My sister stayed with me for about a week because she just happened to be in town visiting, and after that I was on my own.

I do have a husband, who made me breakfast before he went to work and he came home later in the day to fix me lunch and help me shower. I started showering as soon as I got home, with a chair in the shower stall. I was told that I could get the dressings wet, but then would have to put dry ones on after showering. I had PT at home and I stayed in my room for a week before going all the way downstairs.

About 2 weeks after surgery my hubby and I went "Up North" to a friend's cabin for the 4th of July. By then I was using 2 crutches all the time, by the next week I was using only one crutch, so I think I did pretty well. I am now 7 months out and doing pretty well. I have pain in my back, which is arthritic, and have some trouble with my IT band on my right leg. My right leg is weaker than my left and I still feel a little wobbly sometimes. I always use the handrail on steps. I stopped PT in Dec. I am hoping to get better and better. You sound like you are doing wonderfully.
 
Hi Mary Jane,

Who thought it would take this long to feel kinda normal! I am about four months,Posterior as well, and I still have that weird hurdle gait and one leg is still much weaker than the other. I guess it is time for me to quit pt as well but the stretching is so helpful.

Take care!


Lauri
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom