Bilateral THR Both Sides NOW!

Hi, Tylie....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you found us. We're here to support you in whatever way you need. You're part of the BoneSmart family now and so you don't have to feel like you're the only one going through recovery!

If possible, we'd like you to start your own recovery thread so that you can post all your updates, concerns and questions about your recovery there. Having that information in one place makes it much easier for us to take a look back and see what you've been through before making a response.

Plus, we enjoy getting to know a bit more about our members, so share whatever information you are comfortable with putting out there.

Please feel free to also post in anyone else's thread in addition to your updates in your own thread. BoneSmart is all about people supporting others who are going through (or have been through) joint replacement surgery.
 
Hello Deb,

You sound so independent that's fabulous!

The heel slide and sideward exercises were my toughest it took a while for me to move them on my own,I say took a while I'm only hitting the 3 week mark next Monday. That's why I'm amazed with you saying how you got to the bathroom alone WooooHoooooo what a brilliant feeling!

Continued success!!

xxooxx
 
Hi, Tylie....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you found us. We're here to support you in whatever way you need. You're part of the BoneSmart family now and so you don't have to feel like you're the only one going through recovery!

If possible, we'd like you to start your own recovery thread so that you can post all your updates, concerns and questions about your recovery there. Having that information in one place makes it much easier for us to take a look back and see what you've been through before making a response.

Plus, we enjoy getting to know a bit more about our members, so share whatever information you are comfortable with putting out there.

Please feel free to also post in anyone else's thread in addition to your updates in your own thread. BoneSmart is all about people supporting others who are going through (or have been through) joint replacement surgery.
Will do Jamie , thanks.
 
Hi Tylie - welcome to BoneSmart - it's lovely to hear from another bilateral THR :) We seem to be rare birds from what I've been told - most of the staff at the hospital and my PT had only worked with 1 or 2 BTHRs before me. LOL it's so interesting to see professionals sort of hesitated and then say "well I'm not sure what you should do about x - do what feels best".

One week post op - developed a hoarse raspy voice - with no other symptoms other that temporary sore throat when I wake up - which goes away when I've had something to drink - this soreness I think is mostly from sleeping on my back which increases snoring on my part. My house mate has had a cold but he's being cautious to stay away from me. I have no elevated temperature, no nasal or chest congestion, no flu-ish feeling, no headache, ..... feel quite well other than the hoarse voice.

Ambulating back and forth across the house - get in about 15-20 "laps" a day :) Exercises going well. Midday naps feel wonderful as does icing hips and elevating legs. Sitting too long brings on "legs feel like lead sausages" syndrome.


Had visit yesterday from a dear friend - it was great to be able to visit with her and introduce my cousin to her ....

Today house cleaner comes and my step-brother and his wife are going to visit.

Thanks for all the support - best of healing to all of you!!! Sorry I can't respond to every thread but the amount of time I can sit at computer is limited
 
Don't worry at all about responding to every post Deb. We are here when you need us and understand it's hard to sit for very long just post-op.

So glad you are getting visitors. That really helps pass the hours.
 
Hiya Deb

Way to go girl! Not that I ever thought you would have anything but a great recovery at each little phase.:)

Amazing isn't it that it is the little achievements are such huge winners in the day.

Don't you just love the ice?? I think you all know my addiction to it Hehe!! Sent hubby out for more ice packs yesterday, I was sucking the cold out of them too fast...

How good was that to get yourself around for a bathroom run and not wake up cousin. This bodes well for when she has to go home :) but your house mate is going to be there keeping a protective eye on you.

Sort the PT with the stairs and we won't be able to keep you down, whilst the reasonable weather is around. lol, Sandy xx
 
Deb - You are doing amazingly well. I'm highly impressed and getting up and back to bed without any help is just a jaw dropper for me. It took me a week to work up the strength to get my one leg up in bed on my own, I always had to wake up my boyfriend. Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration!!

Buffi
 
Hi Deb! Glad to hear of your progress! Sounds like you're doing great!!
 
9 days post BTHRs - PT came today and checked me out on stairs - passed! Got to walk a ways down the sidewalk in front of my house :) I'm going to schedule some of my neighbors - or their older kids - to walk with me just to have someone near by in case I need any help. I was so thrilled to be able to navigate the stairs with ZERO pain!!!! First time for that in months and months. :yes 4:

shower - passed! :yes 4:

getting into and out of car - passed! (had been transported home in a wheelchair by car care so no private car use since before surgery) :yes 4: LOL another "gold star" from PT - she even thought it might be a good idea to have me come to some of the pre-op joint classes to demonstrate appropriate techniques - or maybe make some videoes to share in such classes :)

Exercises are going well. Tomorrow bandages can come off and if the incisions look dry and OK then a real shower :)

My cousin has to return to her home tomorrow :( but I knew the time was coming ..... she has earned her giant sized gold star for above and beyond cousin-ly-ness as well as my forever gratitude!!! Now I have to pry out of the amount of $ she has spend on getting things for me while she's been here so at the very least I can reimburse her out of pocket expenses

Thank you all for continued support and encouragement - I am also very grateful and thankful for the BS community :friends:
 
You're doing just GREAT!!!! Hooray!!!!
 
Wow - lots of accomplishments in only 9 days! Well done Deb!
 
Amazing progress. I think it's great that your home PT wants you to come in to do some proper technique stuff for pre op people. That just shows how well you are doing. Keep it up!! :biggrin:
 
Hi Deb

You really have to have a gold star yourself. - bilateral and only 9 days, you are doing fantastically - well done my good friend..

Sorry Cousin is leaving, but I know you have wonderful support with others around you.. I will chat with you soon (((( big, big hugs )))) xxx, Sandy
 
So I've been home for a week now and cousin has returned to her home and her impatient husband ( he must have messaged her 3-4 times a day while she was here with some issue or another - I've sent him a thank you note for the "loan" of his wife ). I had my first shower before Jody departed - aaahhhh such heavenly warm all-over water and wash!!! Seemed to take a lot of planning and fore thought and was a bit awkward this first time - but successfully accomplished and did not have to bend or twist to reach what needed reaching.

My friend Linda came over yesterday afternoon and spent the night with me - and we had a lovely pj party and gab fest and watched The Blind Side

We have been friends and colleagues for over 20 years and have a great time together plus we both are of an age and life stage ... plus having worked at the same HMO for so long ..... we can giggle and tell stories for hours. She also helped with a couple of small chores around the house that would have required too much bending on my part to safely accomplish. We had Chinese take out for dinner and then indulged in a couple of very decadent french chocolates (gift from my neighbor Laura). Then for breakfast we had scrambled eggs and fruit cups and tea.

We were going to go for a walk this morning but alas the liquid sunshine (aka rain) has set in and the front steps were rather slick so I decided to be cautious and forego the excursion :sigh: But I did do my inside "laps" and exercises. She quipped I must be healing as my back side is getting numb from sitting too much and I'm getting bored being indoors so much.

Lazy day today - making lists of things to get done this next week - phone calls to make ( have to schedule to see audiologist to get hearing aids replaced), mini projects to at least start, finish wrapping Christmas presents, etc, etc.

One question for Jo or Jamie - or any medical person - I had an anteriolateral approach for my surgery - incisions look great. However there are also two small "almost look like puncture wounds" (per cousin and friend) one on each side of my groin - they were bandaged but neither surgeon nor any nurse in the hospital mentioned them! I have no idea what they are from or why they were needed. They are healing well, not painful at all, and not causing any kind of irritation. Just an oddity ..... any idea what/why these are with me?
 
A picture would help. But I would surmise they are where the anaesthetist put in the block.


As for going for a walk, don't be in too much of a hurry to get out and about. You might end up regretting it.
Look in
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and see the suggested protocol of ambulation in there.
 
Hi Deb, I was just getting caught up a bit on your thread and I am glad to see that you are doing amazingly well. Have fun with the Christmas preparations and keep up the great work.
Anita
 
2 weeks post surgery - Milestone for yesterday - changed from walker to crutches and find it much easier to ambulate around my house and stand fully upright! I have oriental rugs over hard wood floors and while the edges of the rugs were taped down pushing a walker over them was slow going and I often had to pick the thing up to get over the edges. With the crutches I can much more easily go striding back and forth across the house without limping and using alternating feet gait :) Exercises are going well with the heel to butt one getting easier and the outward leg slides also not hurting so much :) I also cleaned out the refrigerator yesterday - got rid of some past their prime items that have been cluttering up the box :th_heehee:

Today is to be my first out of the house excursion!!! My neighbor is taking me in for an audiology appointment this afternoon - gotta get the hearing aids replaced as I am really disgruntled about being back to saying "What?" and "Say again" and "I didn't hear you" all the time!!! :scratch: Also if there is time gotta find an ATM machine or stop by my bank ..... there's $$ in the account but not much in the wallet ;) :rolleyespink:

My cats have been being wonderful "nurses" - Mihku the shy one comes each night as I'm settling into bed to tell me all about her day - she has a most distinctive voice and will give me long discourses on the state of the world according to Mihku while walking around me on the bed. Then she'll settle down either on the pillow over my head or next to me and have a wash up and then a nap. M'Toulin sometimes comes up to join us but as she is rather plump her jumping ability has waned a bit so she finds it harder to get up on the bed - she usually sleeps on the chair next to me bed snuggled up in the blanket that covers it. They are both very patient with me when it seems to take a long time for me to get their food to the table or fill their kibble bowl and they have learned to stay out of the way of walking aids :cat-kittyandsmiley:

For Christmas this year I've decided to decline several lovely invites for dinner and festivities as I do not yet have the energy and stamina to be in party mode plus having times when my hips say "ice and elevate NOW" tends to put a damper on things. My friend Linda is having a hard time right now as she lost her son to cancer 10 months ago and also has had a lot of other stresses this year including having to wait for over 7 months for a TKR. My younger son died 5 years ago so I know her grief at this time of year.
She and I decided to do a "non" Christmas - we're having lobster and steak dinner, a movie marathon of funny or inspirational movies that do NOT mention Christmas, and maybe some reminiscences about our boys at fun and healthy times in their lives.

Now to go let in the grocery delivery fellow and then put away said groceries :thumb:

Happy Holidays to all BoneSmart folks where ever you may be :sleigh:
 
Deb congratulations on your transfer to crutches! Well done. I too found crutches much easier to use.

I love your non-Christmas idea! You bring up a very good point. For some this time of year is difficult. I am so glad you have a friend to share the time and some memories with. Excellent!

Let us know how it goes.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom