Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Both Sides NOW!

I'm new on the forum, but Deb - I just want to commend you for your courage and tenacity. May you continue to recover swiftly and fully!
 
Hi Deb,

Loved your last post!

Congratulations on going to the crutches that's exciting, yes be careful of the rug edges. I've been super careful once in a while when I'm tired I find my leg gets a little clumsy I think those could be the moments when you could trip. It's like a flopsy, lopsy weird thing, some people are naturally made that way. I'm not ahhhhh!

Ohhh Love the cat tales Mihku and M'toulin what a gift! I rescued a cat quite a few years back after a 2 years window, horrible allergies, swollen eyes and just a miserable time I had to find Charlie a new forever home, I never realized how allergic I was to him. I had very little experience with cats, what I loved though was the huge difference between cats and dogs...dogs love you not matter what, cats mmmm they choose if they love you. Very intuitive and smart, I do miss Charlie and I waited quite a long time then got Miles I was nervous the same thing would happen, but nooooooooo!

The plans you have made with your friend Linda sound like a perfect way to keep each other company during this time. Sorry for both your losses!!

I'm still in awe how well you are doing with both hips!

Wishing you lots of continued success.

xxooxx
 
Hi Deb

What fantastic progress you are making honey... That positive attitude of yours is what is getting you through... Luv u, Sandy xx
 
Thanks Jaycey, Desiree (Welcome to BoneSmart, by the way!),
Sarah and Smja :friends:

I'm rather amazed myself at how well the hips are feeling and how easily I am walking around! The excursion today went very smoothly - thankfully my neighbor has the same kind of car I do so getting in and out was very easy for me to do without breaking hip precautions. But like most clinics there was quite a bit of walking to do to get from entrance to check in to department to exam room and back again (with a stop at the little ol' ladies room on the way) - I guess I walked about a quarter of a mile all told - and did not hurt a bit once I got home! All this plus climbing down and back up my front steps! I am a bit weary but that is normal I guess - this is more activity than I've had for over a month! And before going out I put away groceries - did a bit of one crutch walking around the kitchen to put things away - and that too went well. Interesting note - with one crutch under my left arm I can walk normally - but if I put crutch under my right arm I limp .... right leg feels slightly less strong than the left one though I can and do alternate them going up and down stairs albeit one foot at a time. I'll stick with 2 crutches for a while yet ..... and use one when it's really necessary.
Off to ice and elevate and read for a while before going to sleep :sleep: ( my housemate hasn't complained that my snoring is rattling the floor boards but boy is my mouth dry in the morning!)
 
Hi Deb,

What an excursion, you are truly amazing! Well done!

Doesn't it feel good achieving these goals and milestones :)

Enjoy your nap, chat soon, Sandy xxx
 
Milestone for today - in-home PT "discharged" me today :biggrin: - said I really don't need their services :) She gave me more exercises to do - standing ones - a referral to out patient PT for muscles strengthening and possibly water aerobics, and a plan for me to practice getting to my upper level (it has no banister and is a bit tricky to navigate with crutches) with a friend to supervise and help prevent slips and falls. We did go up there today - first time in over 5 months I've seen my bedroom!!! :th_heehee: Was even able to clamber onto my bed though it is higher than the hospital bed I've been using downstairs. At least for another couple of weeks I will continue with the hospital bed - easier to elevate the legs with it - and not having to climb up stairs every time I want to lie down to ice and elevate is a good thing

She said my incisions are healing very nicely, I'm doing fine health wise - BP is normal :thumb:

Only concern was some swelling in my right leg and foot - today the foot looked bruised on the inside of my ankle and up the back of my leg when I showered and was still somewhat that way (though faded a bit) when PT came a couple of hours later. She thought it was either residual swelling from surgery or perhaps from my cat sleeping on my foot last night - I had shooed Mihku away from that position about 4 times last night while I was reading before sleep - but it's definitely possible she came back when I was sawing logs and settled down across my foot - anyone have any ideas about how to prevent her from doing that again? I love having her sleep next to me or on the pillow above my head :cat-kittyandsmiley: - but I sure don't like having a bruised looking foot and leg!

Rest of the day was spent wrapping presents :) :xmasgrin:

My next door neighbor invited me to have dinner with them tomorrow :) They are such dear people - I am truly blessed to live in such a neighborhood and have wonderful people living around me.
 
You are amazing Deb!

Seriously I think your recovery is just amazing! Congratulations on the accomplishments with PT...yes amazing!

I'm not a medical guru, maybe Josephine can see this one on your bruised foot? I did have some delayed bruising very mild but the area got very sensitive it was side of my leg ohhh and itched big time, not sure if this would be the same type of thing. mmmmmm I'm curious now the cat part seems strange even if they did sleep on your foot would it be sensitive enough to bruise. more mmmmmmm! No clue how to keep them away, such a shame because you know they want to just love on you!

Have a great holiday weekend!

xxooxx
 
You are doing great! try to keep the cat off your leg. I have swelling and bruising on my leftt knee. the swelling is better and I think the bruises are healing since I stopped blood thinners.

Keep up the good healing!
 
I had a lovely day with my friend Linda! We feasted on lobster tails, filet mignon steaks, sea scallops, broccoli, and fancy french chocolates - I even cooked part of the meal ambling around my kitchen on one crutch ;) After dinner we watched two movies - The Full Monty and Coyote Ugly - and giggle and guffawed through both of them!

Today is tidy up day and possibly an excursion to the basement to do laundry - housemate Eric will carry the load down and I'll toddle down with cane and grabber to sort, load, wash, dry, and fold - then he'll carry clean things back up for me .....

The bruising look of my right foot has faded and swelling is way down thankfully. the PT said that if one of my cats was sleeping on my foot that could have cut of circulation a bit - as one cat is over 20lbs and the other is about 17lbs I can see how that could happen. :cat-kittyandsmiley:

I've done a few steps of no crutch walking ;) .... and do not seem to be limping with that at all!!! I think I'll try a bit more of that later today - not long distances yet - maybe just the 2-3 steps needed to cross my kitchen :biggrin:

It is cold and damp today in the Pacific Northwest - typical weather for this time of year - and my front steps were looking decidedly icy this morning - wish the sun would come out for a bit and dry them off - I'd love to go for an outside walk today
 
Wow! That was a feast fit for a queen! Well done Deb! You are certainly deserving of it! Keep up the fantastic work!
 
Deb - your menu sounds fantastic! Hope you can get a bit of rest after all the holiday activity. Well done!
 
Ohhhh yummy that does sound delic!

Yikes those are small puppies with their weight hahahahaha! Then ok that makes sense on the bruising! Glad it is going away and getting better.

You are so clever with the stairs, steps. I'm going to admit I really don't have steps in my life, my big effort is a curb here and there. I do have a stairwell used as a fire escape this was my normal way to walks with my dog, but no way right now am I taking him down 3 flights. I've been walking further and taking elevator I'm a wuss!!

Hope you can get outside today!

xxooxx
 
Hiya Deb

How fantastic are you! I am so totally in awe with you :)

Chat soon, when we get back to reality (work) city.

lol, Sandy xx
 
((nanamac)), ((Jaycey)), ((Sarah)), ((Sandy)) - thank you all for your lovely comments and support!

nanamac - saw a comment you made on Sandy's thread about Marblehead - I know the area well ;) I was a mother's helper one summer in college and the family lived in Marblehead :) Plus I grew up in NH and Mass, I went to college in Boston and as a child we vacationed on Martha's Vineyard.

Well I didn't get downstairs yesterday - but today after Eric left for work I did go down and continued the laundry he had started :th_heehee: ..... process is take crutch and cane to top of stairs, leave crutch leaning next to the stairs and use cane to go down (cane is IMO easier to work with on stairs), get to bottom of stairs, fold laundry that's in dryer, use grabber to load a new batch of laundry into the washer, holding on to things in the area put in soap, start washer, cover clean clothes in hamper so cats won't nap on the clean laundry, use cane to slowly clamber up the stairs, leave cane at top of stairs and use crutch to go on about puttering on the main level. A few twingy muscles on the climb back up the stairs but nothing major ....

I can't wait to be cleared to drive again!!! I am getting major cabin fever here - other than the trip to the audiologist last week and a few brief side walk excursions I have not been out of this house in 3 weeks! I want to go see something different from these walls!!! Hopefully I will get that clearance next week at my first post-op visit :)
 
3 weeks post BTHRs - So today was a down day - rainy, cold, windy, and totally not nice weather today so no out side excursions - again. Plus I guess I over did it yesterday with the laundry - 3 trips down and up the stairs had me feeling achy and not wanting to move much today. :sigh:

Woke at 6am because cats decided it was breakfast time NOW! Read the paper and had some breakfast - then brief catch up on emails and websites - then off for a nap. My friend Linda stopped by for a brief visit which was nice but I was still feeling low energy

Part of the low energy thing was because of my meds - I did not like the morphine I was discharged with - way too sedating and constipating! I was feeling like a clogged up zombie! So I went back to using Vicodin at night mostly with an occasional 1/2 pill during the day if pain was escalating
which I'd used before surgery - which I found much easier on my whole system. During the day I've been doing well with Ibuprofen (prescription strength dosing) However I was running out of Vicodin and my HMO pharmacy said it could not be refilled :hairpulling: - so took a morphine last night - sigh and so this morning before nap I called my OS's assistant about the meds - thankfully OS was willing to refill the Vicodin - but as it is a "new" prescription rather than a refill - it can not be mailed ..... has to be picked up at the pharmacy - another favor to ask of my neighbor - which she very kindly agreed to do for me.

So now I'm feeling more "indebted" to neighbor - thankful but also slightly icky for having to ask for what seems to be so much help.

Plus issues with my son - long long sad story - :cry4:- but the holidays make that aspect worse

Sorry to be a downer today - hope all of my BS buddies are doing better than I am today
 
Awww....Deb.....so sorry you are having a bit of a down day or two. It happens...even without the holidays and family stress. Just try to get as much rest as you can. It will help!
 
Sorry you are having a down day. It was very nice of your neighbor to pick up your Rx. I am sure she did not mind at all picking it up and was probably glad she could do something for u. But I know how u feel. I hate asking for help. But I hope I can return the favor when I am better. My one friend told me that helping me is not for me but her. She feels like a better person! She was joking. But she is right. It always makes me feel better when I do something for someone else.
I am having a down day too. I think that can happen around this recovery time. I think I overdid it today at PT and now have mid thigh pain in one leg.

I pray a good nights sleep for us both and a better day tomorrow.
 
Hi Deb

Sorry you are having a down day honey and the weather is not helping. I can so totally relate to wanting to do jobs like laundry etc.. and then paying the price for it later, it is the ol one step forward two back problem.

I am absolutely sure your neighbor does not mind picking up your drugs, she sounds wonderfully supportive. But once again our guilty feelings of having to ask for help (because we are strong capable people normally) does make us feel bad - don't though honey, I am sure once you are well, you will be the life of the neighborhood again.. After all you are the matriach, having lived there so long and watched the children grow up.

Have your down day - you are allowed.. Goodness knows there is not one of us on the forum who doesn't get them, self included :) tomorrow is another day and it will get better.

You are truly doing wonderfully well considering you have had a bilateral :)

Lots of love always my good friend and chat soon.
Lol, Sandy xx
 
Aww gee, the pain of course can make things more difficult, but don't down play the downside of the holidays. Everything is so happy, happy, joy, joy, all around, and not necissarily OUR reality! life for whatever reason can be hard at times.

It can be a very difficult time for a variety of reasons. Cyber hugs ((((((HUGS)))))) :grouphug2: to anyone feeling teh down side of the holidays. Believe me, you are in good company!

Sorry to hijack your thread Andy! I just had to add my two cents worth. But no matter hippies, as with everything else in life, this too shall pass :wink1:!
 
Ohhhhh sorry Deb and Sbro....sorry for your down day!

I relate to your worries about the prescription and asking for favors, errands it's horrible to ask TRUST me I know! I do think though friends, neighbors enjoy running the errands. Plus getting the prescription incase you run out all makes sense, earlier I had written about friends commenting I was taking to many pain pills, so when I knew I need those refilled before a weekend it only made it all worse grrrrrr!!

The emotional roller coasters from this post surgery is pretty hot and heavy at times. Just yesterday I had another bout of a teary, exhausted day. I also know this is a common feeling, many here have share how exhausted they got even way further down the road on recovery.

Sending you lots of fun, loving thoughts and I hope tomorrow is a new day!!

xxooxx
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom