THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

@Boofit I love reading your progress updates. They help me as I head toward this major change. Thanks for sharing so frequently, I continue to pray for good healing for you.
 
@Boofit try putting a small pillow under your knees when you are back sleeping. It takes the pressure off the lower spine. I didn't have a recliner for either THR. But as a person with chronic lower back issues I found the pillow trick worked great!
 
Nothing like being home and showered ! It’s great you were able to get your pain meds figured out. Here in Canada that is not an issue. They allowed me so many that I couldn’t wait to get off them. I do miss my tordol though. I’m not allowed them because of bone growth? I do look forward to the day of at least taking Advil. Tylenol does not agree with me.
Your doing fantastic. It’s great you have so many things to occupy your time. I wish I had planned that part out.
 
@Boofit I have learned so many things from the good people of Bone Smart. The best thing is the company and the kindness of total strangers being willing to help someone they know nothing about other than the fact that they've had hip surgery! The other best thing I have learned is ICING!! God bless the first post I ever read about icing. It has made this recovery actually bearable. Shout out to @Layla @Klassy and many many of the other staff members who have taken the time to respond to my moans and groans. Here is to a pain free future for all of us soon!
 
@Boofit I love reading your progress updates. They help me as I head toward this major change. Thanks for sharing so frequently, I continue to pray for good healing for you.
NextStep, thank you. In preparation for my surgery I tried to keep a positive frame of mind (was in a lot of anxiety as well), stay active and do what I could to prepare myself mentally and physically. Towards the last few days when I stopped my NSAIDs on my own (having read on this forum that this appears to be a common practice in the US and one that I personally think makes sense) I realised how much my hip was hurting (despite still taking paracetamol i.e. Tylenol 4000 gms a day) and couldn't wait to have it done. I will be praying for you as you head towards your surgery end of this month!
 
@Boofit I have learned so many things from the good people of Bone Smart. The best thing is the company and the kindness of total strangers being willing to help someone they know nothing about other than the fact that they've had hip surgery! The other best thing I have learned is ICING!! God bless the first post I ever read about icing. It has made this recovery actually bearable. Shout out to @Layla @Klassy and many many of the other staff members who have taken the time to respond to my moans and groans. Here is to a pain free future for all of us soon!
TOTALLY with you on this one!! Especially on the company and the kindness of total strangers being willing to help someone they know nothing about other than the fact that they've had hip surgery. Let's pass the kindness on!!!
 
Last edited:
Jaycey, you're absolutely right - a pillow under the knees makes it so much easier sleeping on one's back!:yes:
PLUS, my simulated recliner worked well for the first half of the night. Pulled away the cushions and pillow for the last few hours of sleep. Had a much better night. Will try it again tonight.....

Lyla, I was lucky to have the time to plan and prepare. And have been lurking in this forum for almost a year, so learnt from the experience of others who have travelled down this road before. Wishing you all the best in your recovery journey!! I read on your thread that you live in Nova Scotia - must be a very cold place of many months of the year! Our eldest lives in Vancouver, and my husband and I used to travel to western Canada pretty regularly, and often tried to fit in a trip to the Rockies. Used to love doing the Plain of Six Glaicers hike until I was forced to stop that some years ago because of hip problems. The Canadian Rockies is indeed a beautiful part of the world.
 
Last edited:
One hundred percent agree with the pillow under the knees thing! I also had lower back issues before I broke my femur and once I was forced to sleep only on my left side with a pillow between my legs and one at my ankles really helped my back. Also I think that the pinning my hip took the stress off my back if that makes sense?

I just ordered some hiking sticks and I can't wait until they come so I can walk more-thanks to @Zoebichon for the idea!
 
Day 10
Am walking slightly better today, every day there is some minor improvement. But I am starting to switch to axillary crutches because my right shoulder is beginning to feel sore. I had some issues with this shoulder pre-op, something my (excellent) family doctor diagnosed as rotator cuff syndrome and there was some swelling in the scapular region. It was probably caused by using a cane walking (because of pain in left hip). It got better after I stopped using the cane, upping the pain medications. Now I guess I am placing weight on my right arm again when using the walker and the shoulder is starting to play up. My walking is largely pain free, but the hip feels unstable, so am still doing only about 85% weight bearing on it...

The swelling in the hip and upper thigh seems to be decreasing bit by bit as well. I first noticed it when I got home and was preparing to take my first post op shower. In the mirror it looked like I have scoliosis, with a huge hard lump the size of half a small papaya at the side just under my waist level. I am applying Hirudoid on the skin surrounding the incision area and icing it as well. The bruising is definitely receding.

Sleep last night was so-so. Used the modified recliner method that I mentioned in earlier posts (#60). Feeling tired during the day, but have not been taking naps because it seems lots of things are happening. Hopefully a better sleep pattern will emerge soon.:roseshwr:Surgeon did say no restrictions, except not to do figure of four sitting and to "use sense" for other movements, but I am taking things slow and self-imposing some restrictions, one of those being not lying on my side and trying not to pass the 90 degree restriction too often, for at least a few weeks.

Medications still as in post #44. Will be discontinuing the Arcoxia (an NSAID) after tomorrow and see how it goes.
 
Things seem to be progressing well, 10 days already, when do you have a follow up at the hospital? Over here it seems to be after six weeks but in US I’ve seen that it’s after two weeks.

I wonder how I’ll sleep, and about pain. I don’t sleep well now due to the pain and discomfort but it’s the worry of not knowing what’s in store isn’t it.

Do you walk outside at all? Our threshold is quite high and I have trouble with it now so I’m thinking I’ll need one of those half steps to help.
 
Greetings from Hong Kong! The skies seem to have cleared up, after over a week of heavy rain and thunderstorms.

I had a poor night's rest, plagued by back ache (probably from lying supine the whole night) and shooting pains from the incision site down my thigh. No matter how many pillows I stuffed under different parts of my body, the pain was persistent. At one point I had a small sudden burst of pain which seemed to come from within the incision site, and my immediate thought was: Oh, I've ruptured a suture!! All this was happening in the wee hours of the morning, from around 2am to 5am. For me, that is the time of day when things are particularly scary. Thoughts that I would shrug off during day time always appear spooky and scary during those hours if I can't sleep. I was tempted to awaken my husband to "talk":heehee: but thought better of it as he had already gotten up around midnight to fetch me some milk of magnesia to calm my gastric discomfort.

Eventually I got up and slowly made my way with walker to the kitchen to get an ice gel pack to apply over my hip and thigh. :ice:Settled in finally and gradually drifted off to sleep. Woke up three hours later feeling much better. Told hubby about my nocturnal pains. He inspected my thigh and said there was increased bruising down the postero-lateral aspect of my thigh. Not serious, just a bigger area of bluish skin. Guess it is just the healing process churning away inside.

So here I am, sitting in my balcony, relaxed and filling myself up with caffeine (coffee and my daily 500ml bottle of Coke Zero). I still can feel the pain in the posterior part of my butt, and the lower back (around the Sacro-Iliac joint region) seems to be chiming in as well. But it's early days yet....
 
Last edited:
when do you have a follow up at the hospital? Over here it seems to be after six weeks but in US I’ve seen that it’s after two weeks
Ocean, I have a follow up appointment on the 24th, which would be round about 3 weeks post-op.
I wonder how I’ll sleep, and about pain. I don’t sleep well now due to the pain and discomfort but it’s the worry of not knowing what’s in store isn’t it.
Oh Ocean, I understand not being able to sleep well due to pain and discomfort!! Before the surgery, I too was sleeping poorly. The 6 months prior to the operation I had to rely on Zoplicone, and when I developed the rotator cuff syndrome even that did not work too well. I could not sleep on my left (the left hip hurt) and could not turn onto my right side (my right shoulder hurt). My physician prescribed an additional small dosage of Valium to take with the Zoplicone for a few weeks to last me till my operation. I did not always take it, as I do not like taking medication, and was particularly concerned about getting addicted to the Valium (although my physician assured me that would not happen in my particular case). Now, after the surgery, I still do not sleep well, but I take comfort in the thought that this will pass and soon I will be able to sleep on my sides again.
This too shall pass, This too shall pass ...........

Do you walk outside at all? Our threshold is quite high and I have trouble with it now so I’m thinking I’ll need one of those half steps to help.
So far I have only been walking within my home. I live in an apartment and although the building has facilities like sauna, gym, pool, tennis courts etc, I have not ventured outside. I plan on passing the 2 week mark and maybe making my way down to the podium level to walk. Perhaps later, say in 6 to 8 weeks time I might do some walking in the pool. But I am self-conscious, and am not sure I would like my neighbours and management staff gawking at my incision or swollen thighs..

I think a half step is a good idea if you have a high threshold. I am still finding it difficult to lift my operated leg over the threshold of our shower cubicle which is 10 inches high on the outside (lower when inside the cubicle, but one would still need to lift one's leg over in the first instance).

You've got this, just focus on the many posters on this forum who say that if they had known, they would not have waited so long for the surgery.
 
Last edited:
Ahhh @Boofit You are doing very well with your recovery.. I am sorry but I did laugh a bit about your air mattress but am sad that it caused such pain for you.. glad you were able to get it back under control. (the pain)
It's so frustrating when we plan for something that we think will be perfect to only find it's not so helpful, after all.
Glad the poop fairy finally showed up.. what a relief, right?

I also liked how your husband helped you with extra pillows to give you a reclining type position.
All in all you are doing very well and am looking forward to following the remainder of your recovery.
 
Hi @Boofit ! Glad the weather cleared up and you can enjoy your coffee (and coke) on the balcony. Your apartment sounds lovely. And yay for not having stairs to navigate! I am so ready to move out of my townhouse! Hopefully you can venture downstairs to the pool soon. I wouldn't worry too much about what others may think. From all of your posts you sound like you have a very outgoing personality! I am sure you are going to win people in your building over with all of your entertaining stories of surgery and recovery. I have enjoyed reading your posts and can only imagine you are funnier in person!
 
Day 12 update

Slept very well last night, albeit in 3 segments. I am still sleeping on my back the entire time so the back gets achy after a few hours. I use a lot of pillows (different sizes and shapes) and cushions to set up my modified recliner position and it is working for me.

I am walking better, today I started using one axillary crutch (actually tried using 2 crutches two days ago, but felt slightly unsteady, so stopped and reverted to walker) instead of the walker full time. I will still be using the walker, but a single crutch is easier for navigating around and a progression from using the walker full time and it feels ok walking with it.

Exercise wise, I do my ankle pumps regularly, but have added more isometric quadriceps (the front of thigh muscle), gluteus maximus (the butt) and heel slides. I don't count how many I do, but I reckon it would not be less than 10 times each exercise, 3 times a day. I also do toe raises holding onto something stable for my calf muscles. I am a firm believer in the Bonesmart theory that Hips don't need too much exercise after a THR. Some exercise IS needed, but there is no need to force anything.

My quadriceps are tight so I also do gentle stretching for them.
When standing, I can lift my knee to about 60 degrees. I do some knee lifts whenever I go to the bathroom after washing my hands..
 
Last edited:
On Black Chicken Soup

Yester-afternoon, a good friend phoned to see how I was doing. She asked if I was regularly taking post surgery Chinese soups, in particular the black chicken soup.

For those who have not heard of black chicken soup, it is a double boiled soup that is well known for its “powers” of rejuvenation. In Chinese societies, particularly southern Chinese societies, it is widely believed that this black chicken soup boosts the immune system as well as improves energy levels, particularly for those who have undergone surgery, given birth or have been sick for some time. The chicken meat is bluish black and the bones are black as well. The soup is made with the black chicken (duh!) as well as other herbal and non herbal ingredients. Everything is placed in a ceramic pot, and then immersed into a larger pot filled with boiling water and it is slow cooked for hours... Sort of like a bain-marie.

For what it is worth, here is some information that is found on the internet about the nutritional values of black chicken:
"Black chicken herbal soup has a solid, distinct flavor and higher protein than white chicken meat. The inky fowl is high in vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, C, and E, as well as niacin, calcium, phosphorus, and iron, and has a fat content of 0.73-1.03 percent, compared to approximately 25 percent in other chicken breeds. Eight of the 18 amino acids found in black chicken meat are essential for human health. Black meat is often considered to be better than white chicken because it contains 24 percent linoleic acid versus 21 percent in white chicken."

So, first thing I did this morning is to say to my hubby: ah, maybe a double-boiled black chicken soup might be beneficial to my recovery, no? Hmmmm, well.... Then off he went to the kitchen to see if we had the requisite ingredients (or some of them). Found some of them but missing was of course the main ingredient: the Black Chicken! And then of course we would have to rummage amongst our many pots and pans to find the ceramic pot (I did buy one many many years ago but don't really know where it is located now, store-room perhaps?:chinstroke::shrug:)...

So. to cut a long story short, I did some googling work and discovered that there is a health food shop that sells such soups (all prepared and packed and refrigerated). So now my dear helper has gone off to buy a few packets of this soup. Whilst she is out, she will also pick up some take-away lunch items for the three of us, so she is happy.

Watch this space: after drinking the soup I may report dancing to Saturday Night Fever:egypdance::catdance::chuckmarch:
 
I did that same series of exercises as well and found them very effective and safe in early recovery. After three weeks or so, I graduated to leg lifts, clamshells, squats, and toe raises, all with guidance from my PT. To stretch the quads, try dangling your leg off the side of the bed and hold the stretch for around 30 seconds if you can. Do that maybe three or four times. It’s gentle but it definitely worked for me.
Your soup sounds awesome!
 
I am a firm believer in the Bonesmart theory that Hips don't need too much exercise after a THR. Some exercise IS needed, but there is no need to force anything.
Very true. What my surgeon told me is that PT is not needed for recovery from a THR and that there is ample research showing that walking is the best therapy. He instructed me to start walking as soon as possible and to build up to the point where I was walking at least one mile a day. It took a while to get there, but I followed his instructions and rehabbed successfully without any PT.
 
Can't wait to hear if you actually are dancing or not! If not at least hoping your soup was yummy!
 
Terrible pains yesterday.

With discharge, I was given the following medication for suppression of pain:
Pregabalin (i.e. Lyrica) 75mg - three times a day for one week
Paracetamol (called Tylenol in N America) 1000mg - 4 times a day for one week
Etoricoxib (Arcoxia) 90mg - once a day for one week

With the above medication, my pain was manageable. I was discharged on 7 June, and yesterday being the 8th day after discharge, my prescribed medication ran out.

I continued with my own Paracetamol, 1000mg 3 times a day since yesterday 14 June. Took it after breakfast, and then after lunch at 2pm. Did not take any Lyrica or NSAID (because according to the prescription upon discharge, I only had to take these for a week). Silly me...

Around 5pm yesterday I began to have sharp pain in incision site. Wasn't too bad, on a scale of 1 to 10, it was around a 4.
Started icing it. Felt a bit better, but about 20 minutes later started having painful cramps down side of calf muscle and tightness in hamstrings. It got tighter and tighter. There was nothing I could do except squirm about. Fortunately my husband returned home (he had gone out for a haircut) and when he saw me he immediately started doing massage on my leg to soothe the muscles. (I have suffered from foot and leg cramps every now and then since many years ago, but fortunately did not have cramps post-op until now). I managed to stand up to stretch the calf muscle as well, and gradually the pain subsided as the cramps eased.

After dinner, around 8pm, I took Paracetamol and Lyrica (from my own stock-pile). Iced the hip.
Went to bed around 10pm. Was frightened that the cramps would return, so took a Valium tablet to help prevent it.

At around 1:30am sharp pain inside the hip woke me:sad:
I think with stopping the NSAIDs and some of the Lyrica after my discharge medication ran out, I let the pain get ahead of me:sad:. I am puzzled why the house officer only prescribed a week's painkillers/medication for me. It is fortunate I have my own stock-pile left over from previous prescriptions. I am mad at myself too, for thinking I could just rely on paracetamol when the week's prescription ran out. I had Lyrica and some other NSAIDs (Celebrex) left over from previous prescriptions and should have continued with lesser dosages and gradually taper off.

Anyway, at around 3am, I decided not to let the pain control me any longer, so took a Celebrex together with half a sleeping pill and started icing the hip again. Managed to fall asleep till 7am this morning.

Reading other posts from the UK, US and Canada, it seems like doctors usually prescribe pain management medication for longer periods than a week.

I am annoyed with the doctor who prescribed just a week's medication upon my discharge. My post-op appointment is not until the 24th (2 weeks after discharge).
In the meantime I will be self medicating and staying ahead of the pain.:yes!:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom