THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

Your soup sounds awesome!
Can't wait to hear if you actually are dancing or not! If not at least hoping your soup was yummy!
Ah, the soup...

Taste-wise, it did not go down well with me.. Perhaps it's because I am not from Southern China (this is a southern Chinese practice/belief - the healing powers of Black Chicken soup), or perhaps because I am a pescatarian. After the first taste, I very "generously" shared half of my soup with my husband (he loves chicken). Now I am wondering what to do with the other 2 (400ml) packets (my dear helper bought 3 packets, as there were only 3 in the shop - thank goodness!!). I think I will have to drink (and share) them. Who knows. I might get used to the taste...

Sticking to my eggs and cheese, yogurt and avocado (plus my Coke Zero) seems like a better idea!:heehee:
 
try dangling your leg off the side of the bed and hold the stretch for around 30 seconds if you can. Do that maybe three or four times. It’s gentle but it definitely worked for me.
Sohowarrior, yes, it is a good stretching exercise, and like you, it is definitely working for me!! I read your thread and it looks like you are having a fantastic recovery! That is certainly so good to hear and gives me great cheer!
 
After the first taste, I very "generously" shared half of my soup with my husband
This made me laugh.

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with the pain you described due to not enough meds. That’s simply awful. Your hubby sounds like a very sweet and generous caregiver.
 
Oh no no no! You should definitely call in the morning and get a refill! I found that tramadol saved my life but I dont know if they will give that to you. Once I got my second opinion he gave me muscle relaxants that also saved my life. I am off both now but I just had my 4 MONTH anniversary! That said I had a hip pinning and I dont know but I seem to hear from this forum and others that the recovery for pinning is longer than hip replacement. In any case pain is pain and you need to not be in pain for your body to heal. Otherwise its too busy dealing with the pain to heal. One of the many many useful things I learned in this forum. Please report back on the yummy drugs you were able to get your hands on and maybe as a thank you send the doctor some soup:loll:
 
You should definitely call in the morning and get a refill! I found that tramadol saved my life but I dont know if they will give that to you
Ah Snoopy55, the system here is such that there is no channel open for making such calls. But luckily, I have my own stash:heehee:, including tramadol. These are the medications prescribed in the past year when my pain pre-op got intense. I am not a fan of taking lots of medications, so didn't always take them (had good days and bad days earlier on, and so on good days skipped the meds).

Have had this hip pain for years now, so am pretty familiar with the usual drugs and what they do to me.
as a thank you send the doctor some soup:loll:
Like that thought!!! But these doctors are probably from southern China and may not get the message....
And yes, as you so rightly point out - one needs to not be in pain for the body to heal. I took Celebrex and Paracetamol this morning (from my stash) and the pain has gone and I am able to do walking exercises and simple hip movements...
 
It seems wrong that you were set adrift with such limited supply of painkillers. I am glad that you have a stash of medication. Paracetamol alone isn’t enough for many of us, and you need to work out a schedule that keeps you ahead of the pain.

I enjoyed reading the saga of the Black Chicken Soup, though I’m sorry it didn’t turn out to be the promised panacea!
 
Definitely agree with @Klassy-seems completely wrong to be sent home without the right supply of meds. I can't imagine how you would be feeling if you didn't have your personal stash!

Curious about the "helper" you have...does he/she cook and run errands? Is your husband at home during the day or does he still work? Does the helper speak English? Sorry for the questions! I am just wondering what their duties entail.
 
Paracetamol alone isn’t enough for many of us, and you need to work out a schedule that keeps you ahead of the pain.
Yes Klassy, paracetamol alone is definitely not enough for me at this stage. And I am now taking my own concoction of:
Celebrex (an NSAID) once a day
Paracetamol 1000mg three times a day
Lyrica (once a day)
and ICING regularly!!

I also from time to time take a bit of Valium to prevent my muscle spasms. I only have a few tablets left, so am using them "sparingly" and only when I feel twitchings.

By the way, I started watching the new Reacher series with Alan Ritchson cast as Reacher. I think he portrays a more credible Reacher, with the rough edges, cool and calm personality, quiet menace and so on.
Have not yet had the post-op blues hit me - fingers crossed they give me a miss!!
 
Curious about the "helper" you have...does he/she cook and run errands? Is your husband at home during the day or does he still work? Does the helper speak English? Sorry for the questions! I am just wondering what their duties entail.
Hi Snoopy55 , Here in Hong Kong many families employ foreign domestic helpers. These FDH actually make up 5% of the population and most of them are women.

My current helper is from the Philippines, speaks relatively good English and has been with me for more than 5 years. I have taught her to cook and run errands (e.g. go buy groceries, vegetables and fruit etc from the market and supermarkets, or go help me post stuff at the post office) and she is intelligent and nice and has become part of our family. My husband is past mid-seventy and is retired (as am I), our children live overseas and we are indeed fortunate to have her !
 
2 week update

It's day 14 since my surgery (left total hip replacement, lateral approach).

Sleep-wise: am sleeping for around 7 hours divided into 2 or 3 segments. Still sleeping on my back with a pillow in between my knees and a small pillow under the knee of my operated leg. Am sometimes taking half a tablet of Zoplicone to start the second or third segment of sleep, and sometimes applying ice as well. I seldom sleep during the day, though I sometimes doze off for half an hour or so whilst reading or working on the computer.

Walking: Am using a single crutch more often, especially during the day. My husband insists I use the walker in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and also insists that I wake him up as well. He is concerned that in my middle of the night befuddled state I might trip and fall.:bignono:

Exercises: Have been continuing with the exercises as described in post #75 above, except that I have been walking more and adding gentle small squats. Have also added gentle hip abduction moves (i.e. in standing position moving the leg sideways out). Am only doing these exercises about 3 times a day, 10 reps each time.
Sometimes I feel I can do more, much more, but am constantly reminding myself not to push it. I don't want to over-do it, and am mindful that slow and steady wins the race.

Stretching: my quads and hip muscles are tight. So have been stretching my quads by doing bending knee stretches whilst in high sitting position, and icing quads as well.

Swelling and Bruising: the swelling in my hip seems to be going down, though it is still a big lump at my hip, it is now about the size of half a small papaya. The bruising in my hip is fading fast. My ankle feels a bit tight but no swelling is detectable, so I continue to do my ankle pumps and I still elevate my leg.
 
I DO have a concern and am worried about it and wonder if anyone else has had this.
@Jaycey @Layla @CricketHip or anyone else have you heard/read about anyone who had this problem after a THR?:chinstroke::sad:

When standing with both my feet pointing forwards in parallel position, my pelvis is twisted to one side.
My pelvis is "squared up" only when my operated leg is slightly rotated outwards.
In relaxed position lying down, my left operated leg rotates outwards as well.

Could it be caused by the angle that the prosthesis was inserted?
Does it, will it, go away?

My husband says even in non-operated legs, there is often one leg that rotates outwards more than the other....
 
Last edited:
Hello Boofit,
I believe what you are referring to is called external rotation. I experienced it leading up to surgery as my hip deteriorated.

I lost the ability to even touch knees together while standing. I brought this up to my surgeon at my initial visit and he told me that surgery would correct it. After surgery I noticed that my foot still turned outward somewhat. I raised the concern again when I next saw my OS and was told it would slowly ease, which it did. After this second confirmation, I let it go and noticed quite some time later that it did indeed correct itself.

I didn’t notice the pelvis rotation you mentioned, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. It does take our body time to adjust to the prosthetic as all heals and begins working together. I hope this eases your mind.
Sleep well tonight….since I believe it’s that time of day for you. :)
@Boofit
 
Thank you @Layla . That does ease my mind somewhat. And I believe will help me with tonight's sleep as well! I am glad I came here to check before I turned off my phone :)

It is 10pm here in Hong Kong. I am lying in bed with legs slightly elevated, small pillow under my knee, preparing for sleep and hoping I won't get cramps tonight (decided not to take any Valium), just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

My incision is throbbing slightly but I have 2 ice gel packs in a cooler next to my bed.

It's so good to have this forum....
Till tomorrow folks!
 
Yes, it's most likely your external rotators, which means the external hip muscles externally rotate your hip.
It can be a common issue for some, it will relax with time. The outward foot will keep adjusting on it's own time as the muscles above relax and release the tension there.
It's early in the healing game..
I wonder if you are awake yet? I hope you used the ice!
 
It's early in the healing game..
I wonder if you are awake yet? I hope you used the ice!
Thank you CricketHip. Yes, I woke up about 90 minutes ago. DID use the ice, as I had some stabbing pain in the hip region, and the ice sort of calmed it a bit.

Thinking about it, I guess external rotation of the leg is probably something to be expected, given that my gluteus medius was cut to access the joint during the surgery. Your reply and Layla's have calmed me down - thank you!:thankyou:
 
I didn't get a good night's sleep till I started sleeping on the non-operated side with plenty of pillows between the legs. I started that sometime around the second week
hhhooray, I did it last night!!! Or maybe I should say early this morning, at the 2 week and 1 day mark.

I woke up with bad back aches this morning and decided to try sleeping on my non-operated side. I guess I could have tried to sit up and go back to sleep in that sitting position, but trying to position pillows and cushions behind one's back whilst in a supine position is not an easy task... So, I placed the large cushions (which were on the floor at my side of the bed) and the pillows under my knee in between my legs and slowly turned onto my right side. It felt ok.

The movements woke my husband who asked in horror "what on earth are you doing?":yikes:
"Trying to lie on my side" was my reply.
"Are you allowed to do that?"came the retort.
"Well, I have done it and it feels okay. Don't worry, I am being ultra careful - but can you get me an ice pack please?"

So, I lay there in the side lying position, icing my hip, with hubby hovering asking if I felt OK (there was some throbbing pain inside the joint, but only about a 2 to 3, so I didn't tell hubby:heehee:). Decided to do some knee bends whilst in that position and also some isometric abduction exercises whilst icing.

Everything felt ok.
 
I hope it helped you sleep a bit better. At first I was only slightly on the side but enough to allow me to fall asleep easily and then as the healing got better so did my side sleeping. I also found this was a great position to allow me to gently move my heel towards my butt and grab my ankle and gently assist in stretching those tight and achy quads and hip flexors, of course without breaking restrictions for range of motion.
 
@hhhooray, I didn't dare sleep on my side, as it is the first time I rolled onto my side, and I was frightened I might do damage to my new friend inside! Moreover, hubby was hovering by, thinking I was being imprudent. So I just iced and did gently exercises whilst in that position.

I am working towards doing a nice quadriceps stretch . I have tight quads too. Still can't do it in standing position trying to grab my heel in the back, but am not forcing it, so not extending my hip to help.
Am also kneading my quadriceps whilst in sitting position reading, sort of massage therapy I guess.

Will get there someday soon I hope!!!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom