THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

But with all this hoo ha, all "feelings" disappeared as well. So did a reclining thinker pose on the commode for 20 minutes before giving up and climbing back in bed.
This isn’t funny, but you surely put a humorous spin on it. :heehee:
I wish you luck!
 
My sympathy. I can’t even do number 1 on a bedpan, and I am normally a champion of the 10 metre dash to the facilities.
 
It's 3am in Hong Kong now, and number 2 has disappeared not to be seen again. At 8pm last night I took 2 senna pills and had 5 prunes (couldn't touch my meal for some reason my appetite eloped with number 2) .

Well, when I woke up a while ago, I saw that I had the walker next to my bed and the commode closeby. I felt very pleased to have been able to get up out of bed myself to use the walker to get to the commode without pressing the bell for help. Funny how these small steps give such great satisfaction !

On returning to bed discouvered I had not taken last night's lyrica and panadol, they were sitting in a small plastic container on the portable table, so decided to take them as a midnight snack anyway. Early days yet, I must try to stay ahead of the pain!

So back to try and sleep now....
 
I felt very pleased to have been able to get up out of bed myself to use the walker to get to the commode without pressing the bell for help. Funny how these small steps give such great satisfaction !
So true! And, it's important to celebrate every victory -- it helps keep us positive on this recovery journey.
 
The meds for this morning just arrived, and I notitce that they have stopped my oxycontine and am now only on lyrica (every 8 hours) and panadol (every 6 hours) and one NSAID once a day. Am worried the pain will hit me soon. I have read here that people go home with Oxycodone or similar, am am worried that if I get discharged, my pain meds won't be enough. Lyrica has done nothing for me in the past, except make me somewhat woozy.

Hope to get to talk to doctors today...
 
@Boofit I have lost track of what time it is there in Hong Kong but hopefully you got some rest after your last post. Sorry to hear about #2 not making an appearance but don't worry it will. I definitely recommend prune juice as well but I remember going home after four nights and a few days later things started moving. I was glad to be home as well for that event. In regards to your pain meds definitely ask your doctor and relay what does and doesn't work. I found Tramadol very helpful and hydrocodon not as effective even though apparantely the latter is stronger. When do you get discharged and is there help at home?
 
Day 5 - LTHR done on 2 June

So the Doctors came and I was able to ask my questions. Hallelujah!

I am told I have a Smith and Nephew type of prosthesis (Not a Smith and Wesson, but hopefully as reliable), metal on plastic type. Uncemented, but there is a screw fixing the acetabular cup to the pelvis bone. Lateral approach. No restrictions, except no figure of 4 leg crossing, and to "use sense when moving" (they did not assess my degree of cognitive ability tho, so the "use sense" instruction seems rather meaningless, no?)

As for the oxycontine, they said they try to wean patients off it asap. They said I have lyrica (every 8 hours) and panadol (every 6 hours) and one NSAID once daily. Am panicking inwardly as I am not sure that the medication is enough to control my pain after discharge. I do have a stock of Celebrex (from previous prescriptions) so am guessing I can probably use some if needed. (Ain't I a terrible patient??)

Don't have any swelling or bruising yet. Pain level manageable on around 1 to 2 (don't know if it will shoot up now that oxycontine is discontinued), but leg feels heavy and somehow feels longer. Occasional mild pins and needles in foot, but comes and goes.

The ward does have gel ice packs, but seem reluctant to let patients use them. One assistant said "people with hip surgery don't need them" when I asked for one, and never returned with any. Fortunately I had brought my own instant packs and velcro straps, so used one on my thighs. I do quadriceps and glute isometric exercises while icing, and it feels great!

Another assistant just came in as I was typing this, and wonder of wonders! She promptly went to get an ice gel pack!!!

The weather outside my window shows that it is gloomy and the skies look threatening. I am drinking my Coke Zero and life is good... Praise the Lord!!
 
When do you get discharged and is there help at home?
Snoopy (I do love Snoopy, I actually took my Snoopy toy to Egypt with me - much to the embarrassment of my husband, especially given I am no spring chicken!)

I may get discharged either today or tomorrow. And I am lucky to be living in Hong Kong where most people have domestic helpers. My hubby is a very caring guy (when it comes to me especially), so I should be ok. He had a venous operation a week ago, but is recovering well and can walk about. I have set up my home with air-cushioned mattress, toilet raisers, grabbers, raised chair with armrests, and bed tables. So am all set I guess. Just dreading the ride home. I am in Prince of Wales Hospital in Shatin (north side of Hong Kong) and I live in Repulse Bay (south side of Hong Kong). We usually drive a manual MX5 which is a roadster with low seats, so that won't be suitable. Am thinking of using a wheelchair and ordering a wheelchair taxi. That would probably be least uncomfortable and safest...
 
So the PT came and went. This one is also one who follows the BS philosophy. Said I should do nothing that caused pain, and should only take things slowly. I told him abduction caused me some pain (as I was maneuvering my legs getting onto the bed) and he said don't start abduction exercises till maybe 4 weeks later. Said I could not be discharged because I felt dizzy and my BP was low, so could not walk on my own with walker. Maybe tomorrow he said.

I am feeling more pain at the incision site - probably because oxycontine is now stopped. Not a big deal, around a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. They have given me another dulcolax to insert myself in the hope that number 2 will visit, and I think I will start the process after I take my pain medication. They have taken away my commode, saying that I cannot use it because I felt dizzy after using it earlier this morning and will have to use a pan. But I will insist I will not invite number 2 unless the commode chair is near me. Wonder what will happen....

So am sitting up in my hospital bed, watching the rain beat on the windows outside. Gosh, there are so many tall buildings around (I counted 12 from where I am), it really does feel like a concrete jungle out there...Wonder how Van Gough would have depicted this view....
 
I think you are doing so well and I love reading your posts.

If the pain gets worst will they give you more tramadol? I’m having my op in July and when I asked the surgeon about pain relief after the op he said just paracetamol and ibuprofen, they don’t give anything else (he said that I won’t need it). I’m in the UK and they are very loathe to give strong painkillers but also say that your pain needs to be under control before they discharge you.

Perhaps a taxi will be more comfortable for you if it’s a long journey home, and won’t it be nice to get there?!
 
@Boofit I am rooting for you today that your number 2 feelings return and a commode chair is nearby!
I think you will find that your appetite returns when this big event occurs... wishing you great success!
I am guessing this is why they took away the stronger meds.. I doubt, and I hope I am right, that if they are needed they wouldn't deny you.
 
Wishing you a good day. I hope you’re able to obtain comfortable relief from both pain and constipation. With any luck the dizziness will subside and they’ll release you tomorrow. There is no place like home for recovery, it is much more peaceful. Thanks for the update.
@Boofit
 
Hi Ocean, Hong Kong follows the practice in UK to a large extent I think. They are also loathe to give strong painkillers. I am told I probably will have panadol and arcoxia when I get discharged. I do have a supply of tramadol and celebrex at home (from previous prescriptions) but am somewhat reluctant to mix and match since I am not a pharmacist.

Well, still no sign of number 2. Was given an enema after the Dulcolax didn't produce results, but no joy..
They said they will try again tomorrow. And meanwhile said I should move so that my insides get moving. So I positioned the walker next to my bed and did some stepping exercises. Don't think it helped, but well....

My surgeon Dr Kevin Ho apparently did a great job. One of the PTs said he is very good at lateral approach THRs. Another doctor remarked "Of course! It was done by Dr Ho" when I said I was very pleased with the surgery.

So that is the good bit. Now for the nonsensical bit.

I haven't been receiving any pain meds since after lunch (which is nine hours ago), and my pain level is creeping up (slowly though), so just now I asked a nurse what happened to my pain meds? She then said I don't have any prescribed because the doctor only prescribed 4 days of medication post op as they were planning on discharging me today. I said well, I was not discharged and the doctors know it, so why were my pain meds stopped? She said well you were dizzy so you could not be discharged. What logic!! Anyway, they have now gone to try find a doctor to prescribe some meds as I am threatening to kick up a fuss.
 
CricketHip and Layla, Yes, Yes, Yes, I do look forward going home soon to continue with recovery!

So I did kick up a mini-fuss, nicely mind you. The nurse in charge, a Ms Hui, came over to try explain that they were following "Protocol". Since my presecribed painkillers lasted till today lunch time, the protocol was that they had to stop giving the medication after that time. I said well, you nurses are in charge of the patients in your ward, you knew that there was a THR patient who had no more pain killers prescribed, why didn't you inform the doctors? She said well some patients with THR don't need painkillers, they even get discharged on Day 2 without painkillers (REALLY???) so the protocol in your case was that you only needed to be given painkillers up to today lunch time, and we had to follow the protocol...:chinstroke::thud:. Follow the logic????

I think she tried to brow-beat me, but she quickly realised that she was facing someone who refused to be brow-beaten. I patiently explained that as nurses, they had a duty to patients in their care, they were present when an orthopaedic surgeon came to see me in the afternoon, and this surgeon actually said "let's see" when I asked if I could be discharged tomorrow, so the nurses were fully aware that I might not be discharged soon. The nurses had a duty to inform the doctors that the prescription for painkillers had run out and it would be then up to the doctor to exercise judgment on whether or not to continue with the current regime or to change the medication altogether.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they have now given me my paracetamol and have asked me if I wanted the Lyrica (pregabalin) too. Am wondering what is happening to their "protocol"??? But t is almost 11pm and I have just taken the paracetamol (thankfully). I was given my sleeping tablet, so hopefully I will sleep well tonight.

P.S. Isn't it great to have this forum to vent? Thank you for being here.
 
Last edited:
Vent away, we’re here to listen and encourage if we’re able. I just checked out the time difference and you’re 13 hrs ahead of my time zone. I hope you’re comfortable and sleep well tonight. Sweet Dreams! :yawn::sleep:
@Boofit
 
I am glad you made a little bit of a fuss but nicely hee hee. Pain is no fun and after only two days post op OMG of course you will be in pain!! I am still on a perscription ibuprofen called Mobic which maybe you are familiar with. I am going PT twice a week and when I get home I just go right to the ice box and ice and at night take the mobic. I hope as Leila said you are sleeping well as it is now around 1am your time. I am also glad that you have some help at home.
 
I think "good morning" is appropriate right now per my clock conversion. Do not be shy about making sure you get what you need from your caretakers before you are discharged, especially if you're noticing your pain level ticking up significantly. Hopefully, it won't be necessary but a limited number of bigger gun pain pills should not be denied if you need them. You cannot get addicted to that small number and they can provide humane relief. Best wishes for your discharge home. Keep that ice and elevation going and we'll be here to cheer you on. Keep us posted on your progress.
 
I can’t understand why that would be there protocol for pain meds. They know everyone is different! Some will have pain longer then others. I’m so sorry you have to deal with all that. In Canada they prescribe very strong pain meds after. I went home same day and the dr did up a sheet of meds to get for home.
I hope it all improves and your able to go home. Being home makes it easier to heal then in a hospital.
 
Thank you Layla, yes depending where in the US you are, we are 12 to 16 hours ahead I think. It is now past 10:30 in the morning here.
Snoopy, as you say, pain is no fun, and I think the doctors in the US manage pain quite well. I did have a great pain management doctor (a consultant anaesthetist), and that is why my pain management for the first 4 days went swimmingly well. However, after that, in the ward other doctors were supposed to take over, but they didn't in the first instance as I posted in #34 above, but now that they are on it, they say Panadol 1000mg is enough! They are considering adding some pregabalin (Lyrica) after my protests. But no nsaids. They said let's see how the pain goes, we want you off all pain meds. All very well, I too want to be off all pain meds, but the pain is in love with me and won't leave me alone!! Anyway, I am not unduly worried. If it seems like it is becoming unbearable, I will add the nsaids that I have. I want to stay ahead of the pain, not wait till it is unbearable. But apparently this team of doctors follow the UK practice.
Hip4life, I did strongly suggest to the doctors that one NSAID be prescribed and if I feel ok, I will stop it.But don't think they were convinced. Funny thing is, before the operation, I was prescribed all sorts of NSAIDs like tramadol, celebrex, naproxen and so on. Still have a stock of these because sometimes they were not needed and I didn't take them (don't like taking too many drugs anyway).
Lyla, you are right, being home will make it easier to heal than in hospital....

Back to number 2. At 2am this morning I was woken up with rumblings and thought : finally! But after a lot of hoo ha, no joy. Nurse saw me perched on the commode for a long time and took pity on me. Gave me an enema which worked a little bit. But enough to make me feel less uncomfortable and able to get back to sleep.

Was sleeping deeply when I was shaken awake by an assistant to announce that breakfast was coming and could I clear a space for the tray. No problem. Did as instructed. Breakfast came with 2 panadols (tylenol in the US). I took them, pain at around 3 to 4 now.

Doctors arrived shortly afterwards, said I could go home today: Hooray!!:dancy::happydance:I have my bedroom and study set up already, so am so looking forward to going home. This staycation has been pretty good, but nothing beats home sweet home.

After everyone left, I got up and started walking with the walker. No problems there. Some dull pain in back of the butt and leg feels heavy, but otherwise all in order. Pain has crept up to 3 of 4. Maybe 2 panadols are not enough to control the pain........ Do I or do I not (take nsaids)?
 
Last edited:
Ahhhh Bliss.......:) :-) (::yahoo::happydance:

I am home and lying in the bed in my study typing this post...

Hubby came 4 hours earlier to collect me. He brought our helper, a wheelchair and a walker with him. Went to the Shroff's office and the Pharmacy to do the necessary whilst our lovely helper helped me pack my stuff. Booked a wheelchair taxi by phone, and this was totally painless. The staff were probably happy to see me go :heehee:and were most helpful in helping me book my doctor's appointment in 2 weeks time. Wonder of wonders! I got prescribed panadol 1000mg, lyrica 75mg AND Arcoxia 90mg (Nsaids)!!!

The ride home was uneventful. It took an hour but we had a very careful driver. He took our temperatures and insisted we wash our hands with sanitizer before getting into his car.. I kept dozing off during the ride.

Back home, the first thing I wanted was a shower and a hair-wash. Hubby had equipped the shower stall with good rails so I stood inside whilst he helped wash my hair etc. We first wrapped my left leg (hip and buttock area with cling film and then over that wrapped a trash bag and sealed the openings with tape. Had to do that to prevent the incision site getting wet. Oh the bliss of that shower and hair wash!!!

Now feeling as good as new. I am lying in bed typing this on a slanting bed table. I have TED stockings (they gave me a spare pair) and they do not bother me. My pain level is around 2 to 3. I can walk well with a walker and sort of feel I can graduate to crutches soon. Or maybe a stick... But I did buy a very nice pair of crutches so it would be a pity not to use them a bit, right?

I am so thankful....
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom