THR Boofit's recovery in Hong Kong

Hi @Boofit . Your fdh sounds wonderful!

It’s good that you could lie on your side, the first step to side sleeping and a better night’s sleep. I was fed up with trying to sleep on my back after Hip 1, and contacted my OS’s office for permission to side sleep at about 2 weeks post op. He said ok on operated side, ok on non-operated side using pillow between legs to prevent rolling in my sleep. I was thrilled by the permission, but alas when I tried the non-op side, it quickly got very uncomfortable. I couldn’t even contemplate lying on the operated side, because that would mean lying on the incision. I tried at intervals and eventually it became comfortable.

I had posterior approach. IIRC you had lateral approach. I’m no sort of expert, but from what I have read on this forum, I think I have read that lateral approach has fewer restrictions. So it may well be that you are fine to sleep on the non operated side, perhaps with added pillow. Can you contact your OS office to ask? It’s so nice to get back to our preferred sleeping position.
 
My right side is my preferred sleeping side but it's still not comfortable. And my left hip has some bursitis so not laying on that side either and kind of have gotten used to back sleeping. I did lay on left side for a bit few nights ago.
As far as your foot pointing out I noticed that as well but it has corrected itself over last few months.
I had posterior approach.
All my best, stay well
 
@Boofit I literally started sleeping on my right (operative) side a week ago! You THR gals are rockin' your recovery.
 
I had posterior approach. IIRC you had lateral approach. I’m no sort of expert, but from what I have read on this forum, I think I have read that lateral approach has fewer restrictions. So it may well be that you are fine to sleep on the non operated side, perhaps with added pillow.
Hello Klassy, yes, I had lateral approach and when he did his rounds during my hospital stay, my surgeon did say no restrictions except no figure of four leg positions and to "use sense" in movements. So I guess that means I am fine to sleep on non operated side with the pillows/cushions between legs. However, having tried it once the day before, I did not try sleeping on my side last night because I think I still want to err on the side of (self-imposed) caution.

So last night I was back to sleeping on my back, in supine and in reclined positions. Worked ok and managed to get about 6 to 7 hours of sleep, which is ok I guess, as I can take naps during the day today...
 
As far as your foot pointing out I noticed that as well but it has corrected itself over last few months.
I had posterior approach.
All my best, stay well
@myglasshalffull , this is so encouraging to know! I did panic for a while after noticing it, but am so grateful that this forum is here and that people who have had THRs have responded with their own experiences. That is indeed reassuring.... :thankyou:

I have read your 4 month recovery journey - like you, I have been measuring my progress these last few days by walks round the dining table!

Wishing you continued progress and healing!!
 
Well, today I had a sort of breakthrough!

Went downstairs to street level and walked for about 15 minutes on the sidewalk, slowly mind you, with axillary crutches and with hubby at my side. The sidewalk as well as the driveway in my building have are some minor slopes, and it was funny because it seemed as if I realised this for the first time.

People were very nice - the guard at the gate raised the barriers even before I got there, and wished me well. The local area van guy rolled down his window and waved at me when he passed by on the street. Another guard rushed to open the entrance doors of our building when we returned, and then started to tell me about his fall 2 months ago (luckily no harm was done...he is young and probably has good reflexes. Told me he ended up with scrapes and a swollen knee, but no big damage and that he recovered after a week. Wished me well and told me to take it slowly and be careful.)

So, back home, feeling good, and I started icing my hip and thigh. Also started icing my right shoulder as that was really achy (more so than my left hip), probably because I placed more weight on my non-operated side.
 
@Boofit Well done on your outing. Sounds like you are making real progress.

Regarding the shoulder pain - be sure you have your crutches adjusted to your height so that your weight is evenly distributed.

And if you use just one crutch or a cane it should be on the non-op side.

Enjoy that :ice:!
 
Getting out of the building is a huge breakthrough! You must be delighted. Not just a milestone, but also so great to have a change of scenery and different people to chat with.

Yes, isn’t it funny how we suddenly notice little slopes, and similar minor obstacles, when we venture out post-op. One day you’ll suddenly notice that they have faded into the background again.

Another funny thing I wanted to tell you, I have a sudden craving for Black Chicken Soup. I am suffering mild cold-like symptoms. (Yes, alas, the Covid test has shown positive. I’ll host a self pity party over on my own thread and not hijack your thread,) but just to say that colds always make me crave tomato soup and oranges. And now to those familiar cravings I have added the mysterious HK panacea. It’s clearly psychological, so I won’t send my husband (currently negative, fingers crossed that he stays that way) on a mission for it! So lucky that you didn’t report that it tasted delicious and had you flying round the room.
 
Regarding the shoulder pain - be sure you have your crutches adjusted to your height so that your weight is evenly distributed.

And if you use just one crutch or a cane it should be on the non-op side.
Thanks Jaycey, am doing that:thankyou:.

My right shoulder has a history of rotator cuff syndrome, which started before this left hip operation, and brought on by using a cane when walking and probably placing too much weight on it!
Currently the right shoulder is not as bad as it was pre-op because I am not putting too much weight on it for fear of it flaring up:)

It seems that on a day by day basis I am able to bear more and more weight on my left leg....
 
It’s nice that you got outside and chatted to people, it really lifts your spirit doesn’t it.
@Ocean - it most certainly does!! It seems like a small step getting back to normality:yahoo: All the while repeating my new mantra: Slow and steady, slow and steady, slow and steady ........
 
Getting out of the building is a huge breakthrough! You must be delighted. Not just a milestone, but also so great to have a change of scenery and different people to chat with.
@Klassy, it is a great feeling, and I am so pleased it was not raining!


Yes, isn’t it funny how we suddenly notice little slopes, and similar minor obstacles, when we venture out post-op.
I walked for 1.3km today, slowly along the road. The road was paved with bricks and there were so so many little slopes and cracks! I live in a beach area, so the pavements have a "rustic" feel and are not the best for walking with sticks or crutches (and I would not even contemplate using a walker on these roads). Ah well.....
I only used one axillary crutch on my right side today, with my left arm in my husband's arm for added support (not really needed, except for those areas where the road was really uneven). We walked at a slightly faster pace than yesterday and although it felt I could have gone further on, I decided I did not want to be a member of the ODIC, so turned round and returned home.
Slow and steady, slow and steady.........

And YAY!!! My Samsung phone is finally recording my steps!:yay: Since the operation, the app has doggedly refused to record my steps - perhaps I was walking at too slow a pace:chinstroke: It's coming back to life and recording my steps and distance and this made it possible for me to know that I walked 1.3km today. At the 1km mark, it also announced it loud and clear!
 
Another funny thing I wanted to tell you, I have a sudden craving for Black Chicken Soup. I am suffering mild cold-like symptoms. (Yes, alas, the Covid test has shown positive. I’ll host a self pity party over on my own thread and not hijack your thread,) but just to say that colds always make me crave tomato soup and oranges. And now to those familiar cravings I have added the mysterious HK panacea. It’s clearly psychological, so I won’t send my husband (currently negative, fingers crossed that he stays that way) on a mission for it! So lucky that you didn’t report that it tasted delicious and had you flying round the room.
This made me laugh:rotfl:

Laughter aside, I do think that Chicken soup is something that brings comfort and says "get well", don't you? It is the same for many nationalities, it feels just like a big hug, and feels just like mom and home. I am so sorry to hear you are not well, and the Covid test has shown positive. Here in Hong Kong I know of many friends who have tested positive too, and have gotten well quickly, and I hope that is the case with you as well. There is a saying here that if one does not know of many friends who have caught Covid, that actually reflects on the fact that one does not have many friends!

Both my husband and I (as well as our helper) were very careful not to catch Covid in the months leading up to my surgery. We seldom went out where there would be crowds, only ate at open air restaurants, and kept up with the practices of masking, cleaning hands religiously with sanitizers and so on. I was anxious that my surgery would not be delayed.

Get well soon Klassy! Sending you hugs :friends:(not black Chicken soup - though if and when you do visit Hong Kong, let me know and I will take you to a place that serves good black chicken soup!!!)
 
Since the operation, the app has doggedly refused to record my steps
I found exactly the same, with both hips. And the wretched little device would then send me reminders to keep active. I’d think, look who’s talking, you are too lazy even to count! So it is quite a milestone when the app finally recognises that we are walking. I think there is an interim stage where it counts only some of the steps, so you are wise to keep an eye on distance and not overdo it, which is so easy to do at this stage.
 
I love that my IPhone records my steps as well as my asymmetry.
Of course it's not with me 24/7 but my daytime activities it's usually in my pocket.
The funny thing is it keeps telling me "you walked more last year at this time than now."
No kidding...I wasn't recovering from hip surgery last year!!!!
It's great to get out and walk around the neighborhood.
Let's keep moving!
 
Day 18
Woke up with backache -- still persevering with sleeping on my back ....
Felt tired:yawn:, so did not go downstairs to walk today.
BUT -- ta-da!!!:yahoo: I have transitioned from walker to crutches to single crutch to a cane with a mini quadripod base. Am walking around in my apartment, but my Samsung app is ignoring my steps again....

Not much change to report.
Swelling at hip is decreasing.
Hip flexion in standing position is almost at 90 degrees.
Medication : no change, as in post 89
Exercises: as in post 91

My left hip still feels heavy, but I am feeling pain in my right hip now..

Slow and steady, slow and steady....
 
Last edited:
Jaycey, you're absolutely right - a pillow under the knees makes it so much easier sleeping on one's back!:yes:
PLUS, my simulated recliner worked well for the first half of the night. Pulled away the cushions and pillow for the last few hours of sleep. Had a much better night. Will try it again tonight.....

Lyla, I was lucky to have the time to plan and prepare. And have been lurking in this forum for almost a year, so learnt from the experience of others who have travelled down this road before. Wishing you all the best in your recovery journey!! I read on your thread that you live in Nova Scotia - must be a very cold place of many months of the year! Our eldest lives in Vancouver, and my husband and I used to travel to western Canada pretty regularly, and often tried to fit in a trip to the Rockies. Used to love doing the Plain of Six Glaicers hike until I was forced to stop that some years ago because of hip problems. The Canadian Rockies is indeed a beautiful part of the world.
It’s actually not that cold here. There have been some winter we get lots of snow but most it’s snows one day and rains the next. Very fortunate to live on the Atlantic coast. Our major city is really small compared to BC and other provinces. Although this year spring was late and the weather has been not the best. It’s rained most days. I haven’t been to BC since I was 4. It is completely on the other side of Canada but would make a really beautiful road trip or train trip some day. Usually vacations were either in the maritimes or USA.
 
your progress is coming along! I didn’t notice a pelvic tilt but my leg is turned in. Surgeon said it should even out. I also had shoulder injury prior so I know the pain you mean from cane and walker use. I got it all the way done my back. My ribs front and back hurt so bad it pushed me into using walls and furniture. Gave me the push I needed I think.
I am surprised they wouldn’t give you 3 weeks of meds or however long to your next visit. Happy you had some on hand and have that under control. Hard to heal when in pain!
I didn’t get squats and stuff but I haven’t done the one the gave me except ankle pumps. I do try one or 2 every 5 days and now they are easy. Here it seems they wait until 6 weeks for most or I just don’t know about them. I have been a bit nervous of injury and I also had the experience of thinking I pulled a stitch or worse a few times. All is good though! It is good to have this community for feed back though isn’t it?
Your doing fantastic and don’t worry about your scar. It’s a badge of how strong you are. It will be fantastic to have the pool when your ready for strengthening those muscles.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom