BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] BoneSmart = best recovery!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ceezee, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ceezee

ceezee senior

United States United States
    I am kicking myself :umm:for not thinking of the air conditioned mall idea sooner. This morning I woke up with zero, zip, nada pain in my hip. Just a little stiffness when I first get up and start walking. I was really careful to not ODIC it and it’s worked.

Of course nothing goes totally smoothly with THR replacement recovery so the Whack-a-Mole showed up in my back and shoulder overnight. I’m sure it will subside and I’ll take it any day over hip pain.

My unoperated side isn’t getting any better, but only 2 1/2 weeks until that surgery. I need to go off Advil next week and it doesn’t work there for the OA pain anyway.

Today is just a 10 block walk to one of my favorite local bar/restaurants for lunch. And if I mess out my husband can walk back and get the car to come get me. When it’s not tax season he works 4 day weeks and has Fridays off.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ceezee

ceezee senior

I just now realized three things and weren’t true yesterday. The LLD is gone. I walked up the stairs like I’ve been doing it most of my life.

And..... it’s my 2 month anniversary!

I have no illusions that tomorrow likely won’t be this good but today I’m enjoying it. No ODIC today. :bignono:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Happy 2 month anniversary @ceezee! :loveshwr: Perfect celebration, lunch at your fave bar/restaurant! It's good that you're having more good days than bad..........great sign of good things to come!!! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. ceezee

ceezee senior

60772CF1-14E7-40AE-A75F-BEE81B373258.jpeg I got this from a friend.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@ceezee So true! Perfect description of our recoveries!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

“You did a thing yesterday. That’s enough things.”

I.Cannot.Even.:loll:

This is exactly my day today.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

I think I'm going to print that out and put it on the wall next to my "recovery" couch! :rotfl:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ceezee

ceezee senior

I may make a T-shirt. For those days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. ceezee

ceezee senior

I should make one that says the title of my thread....

BoneSmart = Best Recovery

I’d have to get permission. :) :-) (:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Hey I'll take one and wear it EVERY day! Have a good weekend @ceezee!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Love that! Very true. You are doing fabulous @ceezee

Mall walking is truly a great idea. It was 96 here today and 70% humidity. Air conditioned comfort king! Hope you have a great weekend. Happy 2 month Anniversary! :catdance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ceezee

ceezee senior

Does anyone have suggestions for some gentle stretches I can do at home to help with the stiffness? I’m two months along.

13. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hey, @ceezee, I know some would disagree, but getting back into PT following the first 6 weeks (had to be released by my OS) AND having a good physical therapist was really helpful for me. I felt like such a slug those first weeks post recovery, and couldn't wait to start with some exercise even if minimal. They gave me some great stretching exercises and slowly but surely I was able to start rebuilding strength and flexibility. Of course, things tanked out once my second hip began acting up (and they eventually--heavy sigh--fired me from PT as until this second hip is done I'm fighting a losing battle). Anyway, just a thought. Off to the gym this morning as I know I'll be off all exercise for yet another 6 weeks starting Wednesday, my second hip surgery date. Happy Sunday!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. ceezee

ceezee senior

I tried PT for a bit after 6 weeks and it was too much. I was too sore that day and the next. Plus it made my bad hip worse. I need to go off ibuprofen ASAP so I sure didn’t need that. With having my second hip scheduled for July 30 I’m looking for smoother sailing until then. All I’ve been doing since then is daily walking and it’s really helped. But a nice stretch would sure feel good!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
    How are you doing this week?
    Gearing up for the 30th I would imagine.
    It will be so nice to have both surgeries behind you and living life again without pain.
    Hang tight...you're almost there.
    @ceezee

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. ceezee

ceezee senior

Thanks @Layla !

I’m mainly trying to give my unoperated hip the least amount of stress as possible while at the same time continuing to build up strength in my operated hip. Quite the balancing act.

I’m off meds now except for the occasional Tramadol to help me go back to sleep if I wake up in the middle of the night. It’s not every night. And I stopped Advil late last week in advance of the surgery. I also stopped the magnesium only because I read it helps lower blood pressure and I’m one of those who’s PB tanks after surgery. So it’s probably not necessary but I thought it might be worth it. And now I’m watching my hair falling in the drain again.

Every day my gait is better and I’m started to leave my Leki behind when going out locally. I don’t use it in the house. I went to a baseball game last night and took it and only poked the feet of two guys who tried to dart by me without looking. Honest mistake on my part, honest! They apologized and I apologized.

Going down stairs has always been fine and going up is finally getting smoother. But it’s nit perfect yet.

Aside from stiffness after sleeping or sitting for a long time my operated hip feels great! The other hip is slowly getting worse or at least I feel it more because of no meds. In two weeks I’ll be ready! I have a Pre op with the OS the day before the surgery for I guess a final ok and an X-ray. I think he was a little concerned my operated leg was not strong enough at my 6 week check up. I think it will be fine.

I have to say, during this horrible heat wave my brainstorm of going to the mall to walk has been a godsend. It looks like I’ll be doing that until surgery.

:bored: Just waiting......

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I must tell you that those of you who return so soon to do it all again are truly brave souls in my opinion.
    I don't know if I could. I fully understand getting it all over with, both hips that is. Your first recovery will roll into your second and when you're fully recovered, you're done! And I suppose if you're dealing with pain and feel you'll never fully enjoy the benefit of the first op, if you don't fix the second, it's the most sensible thing to do. Now that I've just mentally processed that through taking up space on your thread, I'll turn it over to your great update, lol. It sounds like you're doing really well considering all. It's good you're getting out to the mall for your walks and even making it to a ballgame. You may as well squeeze in some activity over the next couple weeks before Round Two. What a trooper you are!
    Wishing you comfort as you wait out these final days before your next surgery.
    Hugs
    @ceezee

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ceezee

ceezee senior

I don’t feel particularly brave. Just determined. I think it’s an offshoot of my general lack of patience. It’s not a strong suit of mine.

I. Just. Want. It. Done.

Meanwhile. :martini:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Love your attitude @ceezee Get her done! You will be lighting the world up by November. Nothing stopping you.

Always love Fall walks here when the weather starts to turn. We made it around Hobby Lobby today, and that was enough. Car read 100 degrees when we got back in. Your mall walking is very smart!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  20. ceezee

ceezee senior

I was thinking about a comment I made to someone where I couldn’t understand how a person could take opioids except for extreme pain. And I realized how lucky I’ve been to not ever have been in long term extreme pain or been prescribed them long term with the result of getting hooked without even knowing it. And doctors are not trained to help you with withdrawal. I’m one of the the lucky ones. Able to take them for a limited amount of time, let them do their job and give relief, and ease off so i can go on with my life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2