TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jfiori54 ... I merged your two posts together to correct the "technical error" you experienced when it posted too soon on you. It makes reading your comments easier.
 
I was at 115 on Monday before my last week then 120 by the last PT. no mention about MUA from my OS.

Did your OS give you a ROM he wanted to avoid MUA? From what I read from other post, the MUA may have long term benefits, but your going to be off work again. The rest and break will help also.

I am continuing my stretching in the rack monster


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is the rack:
[Bonesmart.org] Blendab1 meets her new knee

I added 7 more degrees last in two weeks. Hope when you get finish you can get ahead of me


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PT said I need to be at least at 115 according to the paperwork. I am going to continue what I am doing & if I keep improving I will try to put off the MUA. Doc probably wont like it but it is my decision.
:yes!: Your post is great and totally in keeping with what is called the 'BoneSmart way'. But in reality is it simply that yes, it is your decision. 100% it is. And what's this 'according to the paperwork'? We're not robots and we can't always conform to a set of written protocols. They should be guidelines, that's all. So bully for you that you're choosing to continue doing what you've found to be a working routine. That's my persistent message to all - go with what works. If it doesn't work, change it and find something that does!
 
I was at 115 on Monday before my last week then 120 by the last PT. no mention about MUA from my OS.

Did your OS give you a ROM he wanted to avoid MUA?
Most surgeons don't contemplate doing an MUA once the ROM has reached 90 degrees, so I'm pretty sure you won't need one.
I added 7 more degrees last in two weeks. Hope when you get finish you can get ahead of me
It's not meant to be a race!
 
I was at 115 on Monday before my last week then 120 by the last PT. no mention about MUA from my OS.
Most surgeons don't attempt MUAs when a patient has over 90-100 degrees of ROM. They realize that it will continue to improve for most people. You are doing well and have no need for this type of procedure.

From what I read from other post, the MUA may have long term benefits, but your going to be off work again.
I'm not sure what posts you're referring to that indicate "long term benefits," but the decision to have an MUA is one that should not be made lightly. It's a serious procedure with risks. When a knee is swollen, more times than not it is the swelling and not scar tissue that is the problem. Development of this type of scar tissue is actually quite rare. One thing that can contribute to it, though, is keeping the knee inflamed with too much activity too soon or pushing past the point of discomfort when doing exercises.
 
Wow, I come back to my thread and its blown up! Thank you all for your kind words and concerns and for taking the time to post.
I went to PT this morning and told them the dr. Wants to do a MUA and I felt that if that's what is needed I would but I reality I am only 8 weeks out and just want more time. At this point I had two therapist working on me with different massages and then they showed me a few new stretching exercises, so when it was time to measure I got a 95. I immediately call the OS office and said I wanted to put off the MUA at least a month and to let me continue with my training. So I will get 6 more appointments with PT And see what happens.
I left my visit with my knee wrapped in kinetic tape, it's suppose to help with swelling and 10 hours later it's working.
As for all the questions from earlier posts, I hurt my knee while sitting on a standard toilet and I did not straighten out my knee to do it. Since then all I've done is ice and elevate it, even at work. Yes, I went to PT after that but we didn't do anything but massage, tens and ice. I did rock on the bike this week but that's been the extent of working out. All I do at home is stretching as it helps plus I've done a lot of walking at work and with my dog, so I'm not doing reps of anything. So, I don't feel I've overdone the exercising but yes, I've had to work as I don't have the luxury not to as I'm single head of my household and I like having a roof over my head and food to eat. I rest when I can with ice and elevation and I'm praying I will continue to improve the next few weeks and if not I will go with the OS's suggestion and have the MUA.
Once again, thanks for all your concern.


Brenda
 
That's wonderful news, Brenda! I'm so pleased that your ROM improved.

I'm also very proud of you for taking control and making your own decision about your knee. You can take advice from others, but it's your knee and you should always have the final say about what happens to it.

It's very normal to experience swelling and a little set back in ROM when you first go back to work, but you will recover from that.

It sounds as if your PT therapists were very helpful. As long as they don't put too many exercise demands on your knee, which is already doing plenty with you going to work, I think continuing to go to them will be helpful.

Well done!
 
We hope you are doing well Brenda. Dont stress...one foot in front of the other. We WILL get there!
 
Post Op Week 9!!

Yes, I returned to work full time and have new hours of 10-7pm so not much posting time!!

My knee is finally adjusted to work, I only iced twice today and had hardly any swelling.

I just finished doing my stretches and feel like I've improved but it's hard to tell visually. I would love to go to PT on Thursday and hit 100.

My OS set a date of June 12 for the MUA but if I have enough improvement before then he said I can cancel. So my goal is to IMPROVE!

Hope everyone else is doing well. I seriously can't believe it's been 9 weeks already!!


Brenda
 
I remember around week two or three, thinking I'd NEVER get better, so amazing as the weeks tick by, we're actually seeing the results!
 
Glad to hear that your knee is adjusting to work, mine is still not happy with four hour shifts. It doesn't really hurt but there is some swelling. I hope you have enough improvement to avoid the MUA! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you
 
Today is PT day, let's hope all the gentle stretching I've done this past week will pay off today. Hope I get a better than 95 reading :)!


Brenda
 
Woohoo!! I achieved 100 and did a full revolution forward and back on the bike!!! I am so stoked at this progress and really feel a difference in my leg, in that it feels like a leg when I walk and not just a knee, if you know what I mean. I shall continue doing what I have been doing and hope to see 110 next week :)


Brenda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom