TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually drove for over an hour today and went out and about with my family and survived!! My knee was a bit painful due to before I left I wasn't thinking when I went downstairs without my cane and lead with the operated leg. I saw stars and may have screamed an obscenity or two. I'm icing like crazy right now and I'm hoping that I finally pushed it past the stuck point I've been at. I can't wait to do my exercises tomorrow to see.



Brenda
 
Awesome! I did that the other day stepping off of a curb, not thinking and boy did I see those stars! I thought my knee was going to snap it 1/2 but guess what, it didn't! Glad you were able to be more independent today, that is always good for the soul...have a great weekend!
 
Just keep them clean, I put triple antibiotic ointment on my scare and in the middle of each strip, it soles through. My last one fell off two days ago. I really don't think it matters.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I did that in PT on Wednesday, didn't swear, but it hurt. I did the mantra and cancelled PT today because I am still recovering from that. I will let the PT no what happen.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My goodness Brenda you have had a rough few days. Hopefully you'll be back on the recovery path soon. I have come to realize that every day is different & it is quite a ride! I'm quite happy with my new knee. The swelling has finally come down enough so I can work on ROM. Do you have any groin/low back pain? This pain in my groin is causing me more pain than the knee & I feel like I need the pain med more for the groin than the knee. I was going to call the OS today but the PT person said that this is fairly common & due to the trauma from the surgery. All I know is that I feel like my groin/back issue is my focus now &the knee is a secondary issue. I hope the weather warms up for you this weekend; You need the sunshine! Hang in there...
 
When showering, I put some disinfectant body wash on the incision and steri-strips and let them soak while I cleaned everything, then washed them off. The strips came off in no time and it felt great. Now I massage the knee and incision with vitamin E oil. Nice!!
 
@jfiori54 I don't have any groin or back pain but once in a while my left hip hurts but that is understandable. I hope that pain stops for you soon.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions I so want them off so I can start moisturizing the area as its so dry. I'm going to apply the ointment and then use the wash and soak in the shower. I would love for them to be gone before PT ON Tuesday.

The weather here is finally going to be sunny and warm so I see a few nice walks in my future


Brenda
 
Hi Brenda, I just took mine off about a week after they were put on. There were a few small scabs, mostly from the staples & a couple on the incision itself. One the steri strips were off, I let the scabs come off naturally from showering & clothing rubbing against them. Once they were gone, I started moisturizing. I figured that as long as I didn't pick at it and it wasn't actively bleeding or producing a discharge, it would be ok.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
There will be no exercising today as my stupid move last night has affected the knee today. Gru is swollen and hurts a bit that I actually took a Tramadol. So I will sit by my open window and ice and elevate him while I read a good book.


Brenda
 
Bummer about the pain! I tried skipping my tramadol except at night until my last PT appt. (last Monday) he pushed me so hard I'm back on them three times a day, and I can still feel some of the ache. :sigh:
 
Gru is just a bit angry that you made him go further than he was expecting to go....I was down a couple of days after my PT did that to Groot, totally thought she broke him...OS said she had broken up some scar tissue and that it was bound to be sore.....Tell Gru that Groot says hello and to let you get some rest!
 
What is it with PT's this week. Mine was on the full crunch this week too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey, you guys! Do we have to give you the speech again? PT should not push you harder than you can handle! (wagging finger atcha!) :tantrum2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What is it with PT's this week. Mine was on the full crunch this week too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Not a clue, mine said he was going to take it easy, then at the very end while he was measuring my ROM he just shoved it so hard I saw stars.

Zen - I'm being good, that why I cancelled the next three appts. I'll show him! :heehee:
 
Yea, I cancelled mine for the rest of the week also. I spent those days resting, elevating and icing. Did only stretches at home. Ya @SeptemberZen were be good


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
wberry, the vitamin E oil does a good job. Seems to give me more flex and my incision looks awesome. I do it a couple of times a day. I do not seem to feel as much of a pull when I walk. Have been using it before going to Pt an made a 6 point jump last Thursday. Got the vitamin E oil at Walgreens and use a cotton ball to dab it on the incision and both sides of knee. Then massage! Nice!
 
Massaging perpendicular to your scar is the best way to break up the scar tissue according to one of my physical therapists. She says as you break up the scar tissue the ROM gets better.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The therapist on Thursday told me to take both pointer fingers and make a small s with the scar all the way down.
Push from one side with left pointer and other side with right pointer, side by side. Feels pretty good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom