PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

You need a new surgeon!
Find someone in your area that uses the sameone traildpud has on the second knee. The partial may interfere with that, but it does not hurt to ask.
Good luck in your search.
 
Oh, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I would try and find another surgeon!! There are way to many of us here that are happy with our total replacements, and are having no real issues with being athletic and active to believe this surgeons negative predictions.

As you said, we have a lot of athletes with not one, but two total knee replacements!! The total knee recovery will be just the same as the recovery from your partial.

Don't let it get too much worse my dear. The sooner the partial is revised to a total, the better your outcome will be. Don't let the existing arthritis continue to degenerate.

I know no one wants to think about another surgery.the medical costs, the recovery time, etc, all make it a huge consideration, but you are in pain now and not being able to enjoy your life the way you want to, and it will only get worse.

There is a surgeon out there that will respect Your athletic lifestyle and make it work for you.

As far as ROM, you are fit and flexible now, and there is no reason you won't be after a TKR!! Skigirl has a ROM of 148-150. I am not an extreme athlete, and mine is 150!!

Skigirl and I both have Stryker implants. It seems Stryker implants are designed for better flexation. Some implants are only designed to get to a max of 135. Now that is just fine for most folks, but for an athlete, maybe that won't be satisfactory and that may be why your current surgeon is saying you won't be happy.

Find a good surgeon, and research the Stryker implants ( the Stryker Triathlon). I would NOT tell someone to go for one implant over another, as they all serve their purpose and are great, I am just giving my firsthand information from my surgeon.

Each surgeon has their favorite implant to use. The ones he has gotten proficient and comfortable installing for whatever professional reason. Skill of the surgeon is still key with this surgery no matter which implant the surgeon uses.

Best of luck to you dearheart.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
I just feel sooooo baaad for you, BJ. What a bummer! A agree with the those who say to find yourself a new surgeon. You know from the forum that continuing to be an athlete is totally possible. Find a surgeon who agrees with you about that--there's one out there with your name on him/her.

All you can do at the moment is to take deep, deep breaths, try to relax, and take one day at a time. Think everything through and determine what it is you are going to do and the time frame you're going to do it in.

You're a strong woman, and you can handle this----just keep that chin up and a smile on your face. All your BoneSmartie buddies are here for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We really really care.
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
 
BJ, I m so sorry to hear all the troubles you are still having with that knee. I agree with everyone else, it sounds like you need to do a bit of DR shopping. No second opinion can hurt. Weigh all the info and make an informed decision with what you learn. Only you can decide when the right time is, but I would think sooner rather than later would be an advantage, the more the knee degenerates the harder it might be. Keep your chin up you can do this. We are all here for you to bounce things off of if you need us.
 
BJ, so sorry you are having a bad time with your partial. It sounds so much like my story. I tried the injections, besides hurting like crazy, they didn't work at all. After one year of pain, I went for the total. Although, I am having a lot of problems, I know it was the right thing to do. That was my goal - to be able to ride my bike this spring. I am still 25 degrees from straight and can only flex to 85. I have a nickel allergy so I didn't really have a choice on replacement parts. Be sure to look for an OS that specializes in revisions. If you are on the Philly side of the state let me know, I know a few good ones.
 
Your knee seemed so flexible when I saw you a few weeks ago. I am so sorry that it is hurting so much now. I too am discouraged and can't figure out why I'm in pain by the end of each day. I think your doc is telling you pretty clearly that he can't do the surgery you need. If I were you I would hold off until I found the right person.

Glad your daughter found the right college. I imagine it is more rural that Arcadia. I didn't think that would be the right place once she said what she wanted in a school. Too bad, it would have been fun to see you.

Stay positive, if you can. I assume you will be able to ski and snowboard. I can't imagine anything else.
 
16 month update.

Well, yesterday was my 16 month anniversary for my rpkr. It has been a rocky road. I have fabulous ROM. I have had a really rough time though and have not been able to get back into biking. Somehow riding a bicycle had given me more pain and swelling that walking, snowboarding or skiing.

This summer I was in the process of building up my brisk walking and was at just over 2 1/2 miles of brisk walking each day. I was beginning to be hopeful about getting into wonderful shape by snowboard/ski season. Then I wound up with an ankle/foot injury from a fall that happened when I stepped in a hole. YES, I hurt myself walking not skiing not snowboarding. So, I am not giving up walking because I might get hurt, why on earth would I give up skiing or snowboarding...lol Anyway, I stepped in a hole and crumbled to the ground in pain. I went to the ER and they said that I had avulsion fractures and needed to see an ortho when I got home from the trip. They gave me a splint and crutches. I saw a new ortho for this and he said that there were no fractures, gave me a walking boot and said come back in two weeks. I will go on Tuesday.

I have found that the boot is quite awkward, makes me walk unevenly and is hurting me. I hope that I get to give up this nasty boot soon. I am also hoping to get back into walking, but I will have to start all over again at lever 1, walk to the mailbox and back...
 
Hi bj remember me.
Im sorry to hear your partial seems to have failed.
I do hope.u find a good surgeon.
Hang in there....Sheryl...:)
 
You must have been young typing, while I can
Was posting.
I am real sorry to hear about ankle. Adding insult to injury.
Im am glad your daughter has found a good colleg.
Tell u what everyone tells me. Try too remain positive.
Take care....Sheryl
 
BJ, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee and your foot. :console2: You were doing so well, then you get hit between the eye by that surgeon of yours telling you that he overlooked the arthritis that would have warranted a total knee replacement in the first place, shame on him! I hope you find a really good surgeon to take his place, you deserve better kiddo.

I hope you get to sell your home soon, and get to start your life anew.

Congratulation on your daughter find the right college for her, you did something right mom!

I wish you speedy healing for your foot my dear! (((HUGS)))
 
Hi BJ,

I'm sorry to hear that things haven't been going well for you! I hope that your ankle and foot start improving soon!
 
BJ,
Great to hear from you. So sorry you have this ankle injury to deal with, hope it heals soon and you can get on with your life.
 
BJ, just read your conversation with your surgeon===I agree with HIM--you have the wrong surgeon. I went to one guy, who kept calling me "honey" as in "Honey, don't worry about skiing--why would a woman your age want to be out in the cold?" In the middle of one of his pladitudes, I walked out and said, thanks I would not trust you to bandage a cut on my finger.

My next doc, said, Of course you are an athlete. I have five daughters and they are all athletes, I want to tell them about you. He was not warm and fuzzy, but he respected me as an athlete and all decisions made were about my life as a ski instructor and major biker. So, think about this, do you need to do this operation while you still have health insurance before the divorce is final? You can get 18 months of insurance after your divorce through COBRA, but , don't delay too long--life is waiting out there for you to enjoy!! I am still laughing--you won't be able to ski after a tkr!!!! I skied 90 days last winter---and I have biked 30 miles twice a week all summer!!!!
 
BJ I wholeheartedly agree with Skigirl's post, find yourself an OS who wants to get you back to doing the things you love.
I think you get to keep COBRA longer if there is a separation or divorce.
broken link removed: https://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-consumer-cobra.html
Check out Question 10.
 
BJ, I love Skigirl! She just keeps on going. You've done that this year as well. You've hit a bump, and you will be back on the slopes. I am convinced. I got into this canoe, and hiked several mts. and I am so happy that I had my knee surgery and that I have the support of you and other Bonesmart members.
 
I am sorry but I did a little chuckle when I read you hurt yourself walking...I didn't chuckle because you hurt yourself but because it just goes to show, you can hurt yourself doing something as normal as walking! I get frowned upon because I do more extreme activities and I don't get hurt doing those, its the normal everyday things that usually bite you on the butt!

I hope your ankle gets to feeling better real soon and that you can get back at it! :happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom