PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

Well, here I am on New Years Day 2014. It is over 20 months since my rt. pkr. I am pleased to announce that exactly one year ago today I got on my snowboard for the first time since pkr surgery. My legs are much stronger this year, in spite of the long tedious recovery from my ankle sprain this August. It took months before I was able to resume walking for any length of time without swelling.

I am teaching snowboarding again this season and loving my time on the mountain sharing my sport with others. I find that unlike the last 2 years I no longer have to alternate taking Advil and Tylenol to get through my day of teaching. My left, unoperated on knee, gives me more pain and grief than my new one. I tell it, "Shush, You are fine knee!" Maybe my knee will believe me when I talk so sweetly to it. It does have arthritis behind the kneecap.

My house is on the market. The divorce is still not finalized. My daughter has had a successful first semester of college, and I am enjoying my empty nest as much as possible as I try to downsize and sell my house. I am looking forward to a bright new future.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
I was just thinking about you the other day, @BJ Mac, and wondering what was going on with you. Good to hear that your ankle has finally healed and you're back out on the mountain and loving it.

Hope you can get your house sold this year--they say things are getting better, but who really knows. I've had a good past year and am looking forward to this one.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Hi! Yes, New Year and knee still fine but, yes, other knee acting up. Don,t know how you stand cold on knee. I prefer the warmth when we ever get any. I also keep saying shush to knee. If I do have to have it done, my GP told me he will not put me in for this one though. He does not believe in TKR even though I do.

Instead of skis bike is out got to get ready for when LE TOUR comes to God's county! I have a lot of xmas puds to work off1 Have a great year.
 
Hi BJ, you sound like you're getting your life back on track which is good. I too have the other knee going downhill in all areas so TKR coming within the next year or so.
 
That's great BJ, congrats on hitting the slopes once again. I've enjoyed reading your story.

A technical snowboarding question: where do you have your stance set for your bindings? The reason I ask is that I'm an avid snowboarder as well with a lateral compartment issue; I've found that moving my bindings into a more "freestyle" stance (+15 degrees on each side) puts a lot less stress on my lateral side. It's more duck-footed than I usually ride but I've gotten used to it. This may be completely opposite for you but I've found it unloads that side of my knee when transisitioning from edge to edge.
 
BJ,
Great report, thanks for updating us. All the best will your house sale and finalizing your divorce.
Have a great Snowboarding season!
 
Great to hear from you BJ!
I too was wondering if you were teaching this year, glad to hear they have a great instructor taking care of them on the slopes.

With everything you have had going on, sounds like you are moving forward and looking towards the future.
Do keep in touch!
 
What does me mean he "doesn't believe in TKR"? That's the most ridiculous statement I ever heard of from a GP!
Hi yes it took me a lot of convincing for first tkr my gp is against tkr in his opinion there is to big a risk of side effects from tkr hips he agrees with but knees no.Even though i am a good advert for this he says i was lucky and i would have to do a lot of convincing before he would recomend me to hospital again.
 
Well, this morning I made a quick trip to the grocery store and realized on my way out to the car that my knee didn't hurt and my hip didn't hurt. I felt pretty darned good, inspite of the fact that I wiped out a few times yesterday on the slopes. Yay, here's to being able to walk through the grocery store painfree!!! :cheers: Whoot, whoot!!! Last winter and the winter before I was in a lot of pain walking through the grocery store. :happydance:
 
BJ, I had to come looking for you to tell you I was thinking about you as I'm watching the first day of the Olympic snowboarding! I'm so glad to see you've been back on your board, I know the skis were not your first love!
 
Like @Janet2012 I'm wondering how you are liking the Sochi games? You have been doing so great and especially since you are going through so much personally it means even more that you have done so well and kept such a positive attitude.
I am curious what you thought of Sean White's "loss" and just in general the new board sports now in the Olympics etc. It's been alot of fun watching the games even though I don't ski... and back in the day cross country skiing was my only snow activity (besides snowballs and snow angels). Do you have or get any students who look like they have Olympic type potential? I think it would be fun working with the little fearless kids.
Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks Janet and Marianne. I am soooo delighted to be back on my snowboard primarily. I have taught a few ski lessons this year as well.

It has been fun watching the Olympics and the new snowboard additions in particular. I was bummed that the half-pipe conditions seemed to be poor. I would love to see each rider have ideal conditions and lay down their best run and then be judged. It seemed to me that Shawn White's run was in less than ideal conditions as were many of the other riders. How about that silly snowboarder in the slopestyle with the too big pants that wound up falling down. Seriously kid, wear clothes that fit!

It is always fun to work with the kids who think they will grow up and go to the olympics. My daughter taught one last year who proclaimed that when he made it to the olympics he was going to invite her and announce that she was his first snowboard instructor. What fun. I have worked with some little ones, 4 year olds who spent a lot of time falling and stuck in the deep snow and i insisted while they were taking a rest laying in the snow that they needed to make a snow angel while they were down... We really want those little people to have fun and keep coming back. I also had the pleasure of teaching my 6yo granddaughter to ski a few weeks ago. When asked if she is going to learn to snowboard as well she gave a loud and forceful, "NO!" lol, highly unlikely that she will not learn to snowboard as well, seeing as her dad, 2 uncles, aunt and grandma all snowboard...

I have had a few students that really catch on so quickly that they are a total delight to work with, not that the others are not a delight as well.
 
That's great BJ, congrats on hitting the slopes once again. I've enjoyed reading your story.

A technical snowboarding question: where do you have your stance set for your bindings? The reason I ask is that I'm an avid snowboarder as well with a lateral compartment issue; I've found that moving my bindings into a more "freestyle" stance (+15 degrees on each side) puts a lot less stress on my lateral side. It's more duck-footed than I usually ride but I've gotten used to it. This may be completely opposite for you but I've found it unloads that side of my knee when transisitioning from edge to edge.

@RedRider, sorry, I just saw this. I think I have my stance set at 15 12 currently. I have been working more on my switch riding this year and taking a few more risks. The more duck-footed stance seems to be easier on the knees to be sure.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
@BJ Mac, It's great to hear that things are going so well for you and that you're back to your beloved snow boarding! Looking forward to hearing about your biking in the spring. It's amazing what TIME can do even if we didn't have much PATIENCE.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
@BJ Mac
Wow, what a great pic!
How great you can enjoy snowboarding with your son!
And excellent to hear from you.

So now you just need to keep yourself busy til snow season comes around again. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom