PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

That's smart. I know this is disappointing to you. Hopefully things will improve with the rest.
 
BJ: do you have a scanner? Scan some of the kids' artwork, etc., and then you can get rid of the originals without too much guilt.

Hope the knee shapes up with the rest and shot. Here's to "no infection".
 
Chocolate works wonders, especially Belgium! Well it looks like you will need an extended "Extreme Self-Care" Retreat. I am praying things turn around by November for you.

Wow what kind of damage could you do if you took a tumble? I guess there would be emergency TKR then and you wouldn't have to make that decision. yikes.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
Setbacks can be so difficult to deal with on top of everything else that's going on in life. But I know in my heart that you WILL prevail. We've got your back--you matter and we care.
 
I would say the heck with it too and go snowboarding....if I didn't need to have the a RPKR at the end of Oct. I would be getting out my downhill skies and getting them waxed...my left need is still arrrrrrgggggghhhhh :gaah:!!!!

I do hope that your knee smartens up so you won't need a TKR!!!

Take care....
T.
 
Thanks Jamie!

PooShay, I do have a scanner, but it doesn't work all of the time, as in in takes 10 trys to get something to scan properly, maybe time to buy one that works. Thanks for the idea.

Yes KayeKaye, Yes chocolate works wonders, but if I am actually doing the "nothing" that my surgeon has recommended my middle will be expanding again... Thanks for your prayers. And seriously if it is going to need to be replaced again what is the worst that could happen? an emergency TKR???... I will try to rest for now though.

Judy, it is tough to take when I am in the fall apart period though. Last week a water main break and a dented back fender to my cute little car, this week scary news from the doc... ARGH!!! :hairpulling: I know that God has plans for me,"plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me a hope and a future." Jeremiam 29:11, but sometimes the "patience" part is soooooo hard.

T, oh my gosh, your right knee is just around the corner, no skiing for you this winter. I wish you a speedy recovery and that your left knee gets it's act together...
 
BJ, I am sorry to hear about your knee--what a bummer. I do know how it feels to get bad news about the knee. I have ALMOST recovered from this fall--but not quite. I had the hardest time rehabbing. The first two times, I was gung ho. This time I was ho hum!

But, life does go on and now I do not have any pain at all in that left knee. I would board this winter and see how it goes. You might have to stay on the groomed runs? Actually, I find that powder is easier on my knees than icy groomed runs with hard ruts. I love that silky, soft feel of powder. Big Mountain is number 11 in the Ski magazine top 50 resorts. Major
Celebrating here in Whitefish!!

I do sometimes use a ted hose or support hose under my long underwear. It does help a lot with the swelling. Kelly
 
Thanks Kelly, I am hoping that it improves still and I will not need to exchange this knee for a good many years. It is feeling a bit better, and my doctor's office called the other day to change my appointment from Nov 1 to Nov 8, so I am hoping for more improvement and that I will be able to say, "Let's just wait and see, as it seems to be improving..." I did a lot of walking on a recent trip and it faired pretty well, so I want to slowly bump up the exercise program and try to get ready for snowboard season. I wish that we had lots of nice powder and soft stuff to ride on, but alas this is the East... We get what we get and make the best of it. Icy groomed runs are hard on the knees. Maybe I will have to move West... :scratch::)

I am glad to hear that you are recovering from this fall. Hang in there and keep working at it!

Oh and thanks for the advice about the TED or support hose!
 
Bj, it snowed in the mountains last night!! I am so happy. We don't open until Dec 8, but lots of us walk up and ski down (once) for me and twice for them!! It takes two hours to walk up---2500 feet of elevation. Then, we ski down in 10 min. But, it is a good workout and lots of fun. K
 
WOW!!! Snow already, that is so wonderful! Walking up and skiing down sounds like lots of fun and great exercise.
 
So, today I signed up for a "Photographing People" class in November and December at the community college. I am looking forward to learning more about that and becoming a better Photographer. :happydance:
 
Good idea, BJ. I use a video camera with all of my private clients and they love seeing themselves skiing!! I had a lot of shaky videos before I finally got the hang of it. K
 
So, today I went and tried on some new ski boots. Goodness, I had forgotten just how hard they are...lol... I am definitely thinking about skiing this season, but I need new skis and boots. Mine are ancient history.

Kelly and advice about what kind of boots and skis? skigirl,
 
BJ, boots are one of those things that one will fit and another will not. I wear Dalbello boots--have been wearing the Storm which is actually listed as an advanced boot. They have redesigned the boot this year and it is much sitffer. I am thinking of wearing the Lotus which is softer than the Storm. I am not sure what to do. My feet are "low volume" so I need a 97 mm forefoot. If your foot is average, then a 100 MM forefoot is what you need. Dalbello has a boot Called the Mantis, there is a 12, 10 and an *. The 10 has a flex of 95 which is plenty for someone who has new skis with new technology. We do not need stiff boots. I never ski more than a 90 myself.

Skis---the skis that I am going to ski this year are the Amphibio Insomnia from Elan. It is 78 underfoot, skis like a dream on firm snow or soft powder. I skied it four times last year and I really loved it. It turns great. My advice--use a shorter ski with a bum knee. I am 5'3" and weigh about 150. (It is all muscle) I use a 161 cm length. If you are a lot lighter, then drop down to the 153.

The other ski that I will use is the Elan Zeal. It is 88 underfoot and I am skiing a 159 length. I will mostly use it for soft snow, crud and fresh powder. The Insomnia is my teaching ski.

In addition, the k2 women's line is quite good. I hate Rossi's---too stiff. Look for a ski with rocker in the tip and a straight tail, which gives you more edge grip on hard snow. If you have rocker tip and tail, you will skid all your turns in hard snow.

I spend a lot of time looking at equipment and ski most of the women's skis that come along on demo days. Let me know if you have more questions. Although we are not intermediate skiers, that softer equipment is easier on our knees. Kelly
 
My knee is finally seeming to be progressing in the right direction. I have been afraid to voice this... I have begun to do my gently workout each day. Today I walked for 20 minutes on the treadmill, did my weight training and rode my bike 3.5 miles and went up the hill in front of my house for the first time since knee surgery. (6 months and 1 day ago) So far so good. I am hoping that I can gradually just keep adding on a daily basis to what I am doing. (slowly / cautiously) I actually have muscle in my right leg that I can go from standing to sitting on a stool using only my right leg.
 
Kelly, I have not owned a new pair of skis in probably 25 years... being the mom and putting everyone before myself and then switching to snowboarding. So, while I really want to ski as well as board I feel totally lost as to what to look for in these 'newfangled' skis...lol... What skis do you think would do well in my 'eastern conditions'? We have lots of hard pack, not much powder, not generally icy as they do an excellent job with the grooming, but we do sometimes have quite 'crunchy' conditions. skigirl.
 
Okay, here are three questions for you first. How tall are you? weight? aggressive? park and pipe? do you ski mostly intermediate runs? Or blacks. Do you ski fast? Don't worry about the questions, there is no judgement--just want to get the skis that will work for you. K
 
5' 3 1/2" 135 lbs (hoping to lose some of that) I am happy on intermediate or black. I am aggressive enough to be in control, but not aggressive in the overall sense. I do not like to go extremely fast. No park and pipe for me, I will leave that to the young folks.
 
Okay, here are some suggestions:

Elan--I ski the Amphibio Inspire which has a 78 mm waist. I love this ski. I ski 160--you might like a 152, you are lighter than me. rockered tip, straight tail

K2 Superglide 80 waist. this is a really smooth ski and it feels really easy, while still being a high performance ski. rockered tip, straight tail length: 153

Volkl Charisma 79 waist. I am not a fan of Volkls, but these are popular skis.

BJ, I think that a shorter ski is easier to ski. If you knee is not 100%, having a shorter ski---153, 153 will cause less torque on your knees. However, if you go towards the 160 length, there is more stability. However, for this year, I would go with the 153 for you.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom