THR Bizzy Lizzy on the other side

Well, after all my boasting and showing off about lack of pain, I think I did too much yesterday - serves me right! Woke up at 3am aching and stiff all over (not just my hip) and had to take pain meds. I did have a lovely day yesterday - went out for lunch at a local garden centre with my husband and sat outside looking at an awesome view over the Northumberland countryside. It was a beautiful day and so nice to get out. Of course, I wasn't content with that and insisted on calling in at the craft superstore on the way home for some knitting supplies. Husband made me have a nap when we got in (by which time it was raining heavily). Got up from the nap and made a pasta bake for all of us - had lots of help, no bending, twisting or lifting anything heavy! Felt quite proud of myself and went to bed shattered at 9pm. Won't be having a day like that again for a while! Pain has subsided now, but I plan to rest, rest and more rest today. Clips come out tomorrow, so will I will see my scar. I'm a bit apprehensive about having them taken out, actually - does it take long? Does it hurt?

@Mikessp - you're right, it's Newcastle! So glad you like our lovely part of the world. Sometimes it feels a bit like a forgotten corner of the country. I can't wait to get a bit more mobile and get out and about in the city again. Thank you for your good wishes. I will get there!
 
I don't know anyone here that hasn't overdone things at least once. I think it's good for your mental health to get out and do normal things and that's just as important as the physical healing.
Good luck getting your clips out - I had dissolving stitches so I don't know what it's like but compared to surgery it must be a breeze, right?
 
Hi @Bizzy Lizzy....I've got skin glue with my hip but had clips when I had a Caesarian years ago. It didn't hurt me at all. Try and have your meds 30 mins before, that's what I did :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
@Zelda , I think you're right - it's a definite boost to feel yourself going back to normal things. Also, I'm starting to feel more like myself and ready to do things. Last week I could hardly be bothered to get out of the chair! It sounds like you are doing very well - I was so impressed that you managed socks and kneeling in the garden! Both goals of mine, but probably not for a little while yet...

@Happy girl great idea re meds. I normally take my meds around 1pm and my appointment tomorrow is at 12, so I'll do some tinkering with timings of the first dose in the morning to bring that into line. I had dissolvable stitches with my Caesarian (also years ago). Funny how there doesn't seem to be any standards for these things!
 
@Zelda
I just ordered a similar one from eBay ($22 plus tax)! I'm going on vacation to the beach next month and I've been concerned trying to figure out how I'll ever stand up from the sand. I think this will fit the bill, as it has those handles to help hoist me up! :heehee: Thanks for suggesting it!
 
Clips came out this morning (actually, they were staples, and that was just what they looked like!) There were 34 of them. It wasn't a lovely experience, but not too bad and over very quickly. The nurse said everything has healed really well and it's a very neat job. She put another dressing on which I can take off myself in a couple days. By then, I may have plucked up the courage to actually have a look! She suggested I get some Bio Oil to rub in to help minimise scarring. At the moment, the thought of actually touching it doesn't appeal, but I will have a go at some point! Strange how squeamish I have felt about this, when I ended up being quite calm about the actual surgery.
 
Good stuff - another hurdle overcome. All makes for progress eh? I had soluable stitches and glue but haven't even put moisturiser near or on my scar and I'm centuries ahead of you :heehee:.
I felt I'd read somewhere on here that it isn't recommended to use anything for a set time, and I was also terribly concerned about introducing infection, even though it is nicely healed. I'm sure some of the other BS buddies might jump in on this as my memory isn't all that reliable :what:
 
@Miss Muffet I tend to agree with you - not keen on putting anything on it really. I will probably leave it well alone until I'm totally confident - could be weeks! In other news, I have managed to shower properly. Really lovely. Clean and unstapled all in the same day - tired out with the excitement, so off to bed:mcoffee:
 
Look at you, just trekking along fabulously! Just popping in to cheer you on as you continue.

I'm also a bit leery of peeking at my actual incision, the original dressing is off now...the doctor said I'd have a "leading stitch" that may need to be trimmed as that came off....well, it did and as I wasn't quite prepared, it was stuck to the dressing and as I removed that gave the stitch a bit of a pull. Yikes, was the strangest sensation, somehow managed to trim it back myself without help. Then promptly had my mom make sure I was still all together! :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
I think you'll be surprised how well healed your incision is. I expected mine to be a mess (both times!) and each time it was actually just quite a neat, red line with none of the scabbing or weepiness I expected.
 
I, too, was really pleasantly surprised. Neat job. Soluble stitches and superglue and no dressing when I left hospital (after 3 days). As mine was posterior, so slightly 'round the corner' so to speak, and therefore not clearly visible I would check it out in the mirror each time I showered. Got hubby to photograph it every day so I could watch and compare progress. It was fascinating. It is fading gradually and have been told it will eventually be a thin silver line. To be honest I am would be happy enough with it the way it is now. It's my badge of honour and a reminder of what a great job that team did and how grateful I am for the changes it has made.
 
I will take the dressing off today. I think I'm nervous about looking at it because there was such a lot of conversation going on while the nurse was unstapling me. She had a student observing the process and she was giving a blow-by-blow account, describing all the things that can sometimes go wrong, such as, sometimes the skin has grown over, sometimes they get stuck and you have to pull a bit harder, sometimes the area is very red and inflamed etc.! I ended up asking if any of those things applied to me - when she said no, I politely told her to keep things to herself!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom