THR Bizzy Lizzy on the other side

Hi @BizzyLizzy ,
Very pleased for you that you have had such a great outcome from your op. I very much appreciated all your comments during your recovery. At that point I knew that I would need to have a THR, but was pretty much in denial and was hoping to extend the time before the op. You reassured me and gave me more confidence to make the decision to go ahead. I am now 4 months post op and getting my life back again!
Thanks and best wishes,
Diane
 
Hi @Delphi
So pleased I was of help to you and thank you for your good wishes. I'm so glad you have the "getting your life back" feeling. I still have that - I think my family are getting heartily sick of me saying "remember what it was like when I couldn't do this!" I don't think I'll ever forget!

Liz xx
 
What a nice surprise to read an update on Bonesmart from you @BizzyLizzy. I'm glad your operation was successful. Mine is now more than 2 years ago and my hip is doing great. I can walk, swim, cycle and even run. But while we are in good health again after a couple of weeks or months after the OP, it may take as long a 2 years to reach our previous strength back. I definitely have more strength and endurance now than I did last year.

I've still got my translator's job at a senior federal German authority for marketing authorisations of medicines. I've actually got a fair amount of work now. The texts are highly specialised - among other things, they relate to veterinary medicine, or haematology, or immunology, or even occupational safety & health. I don't have to teach English to trainees at the moment. My colleague is doing that. How is work for you? Do you work full-time? And how is your daughter? And your dog? A year ago, you wrote he was ill. I hope he's better now.

Two of my daughters have just had birthdays. My second one in June and my first one in July - we drove up to Hamburg at the weekend to celebrate.

My husband might by a house in England as a second residence. He then intends to let part of it and use it when we go over to England. He's thinking of the Cambridge area. His brother lives in Huntingdon. My husband went to College in Cambridge and likes the area. So we might go over more often in future, but this is still only a plan: not concrete yet.

I wish you all the best - Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze - sorry for the late reply, I don't come here as much as I used to! Interesting that you feel stronger at 2 years out from the op. I went swimming for the first time a few days ago and was very surprised that I found it quite hard and even a little painful. Part of the problem is that I can only do breast stroke, which I think is hard on artificial hips! I have decided to have some swimming lessons to see if I can re-learn how to do crawl. The lessons aren't available until September at our pool, so in the meantime I will continue with walking, yoga and going to the gym.

I am working full time, but on holiday at the moment. It was so great to get back in the classroom and walk around with no pain. I actually took on some more responsibilities this year. I am now Programme Leader for a group of students which means that I am their Personal Tutor with responsibility for Pastoral care for them. This really means I get to know them pretty well and they seem to respond to me. Something to do with being old enough to be their Mum!

My daughter is fine and about to go into her third year at University. She is at home on holiday at the moment but hoping to get a part-time job. Sadly, our old dog died in November. She was 15 and had a great life, but we still miss her. Thinking it might be time to get another one, but also thinking the cat might object.

Exciting to think you might be getting a second home in England! The weather is dreadful at the moment so I'm thinking only being here part time might be the best idea...

Thank you for you thoughtful message.

Liz xx
 
Hi @BizzyLizzy ,
I enjoyed reading your friendly answer. Good luck for your new responsibilities, especially the Pastoral care for your students. I'm sure you will do the job very well.

About the weather, we can say that it's not much better in Germany, even though we've been lucky - June was sunny. Now it's a bit cooler. But on Thursday I'll go swimming in the lake again - even so. I usually wear my wet suit. Actually, I can do breast stroke as well, and can do it better with the hip replacement. That's what it's there for - to get your ROM back. But I got into the habit of crawling because you can't do breast stroke with a wet suit on. My crawl swim course for adults was good fun. I can only recommend it.

Like you, I also do some reading in the Bonesmart forum occasionally, but I'm always pleased when I can assure newcomers that everything will be fine and comfort them when they are in a despondent mood. Take care and keep up your good work. - Constanze
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom