Guest viewing is limited

THR Bizzy Lizzy on the other side

Welcome to the other side - you sound brilliant!
 
Thinking of you this evening and hoping you've managed to catch up on some rest. :chillpill:
Wonder if you slipped out of bed to get to the polling station? :what: :walking:
 
Well, I'm sitting up in the chair now, so thought this might be a good time to go into a bit more detail abou op day and beyond. I decided it would be nice for my daughter to come with me to the hospital and that husband would come and see me on the other side. A really good friend drove us here and we arrived at 6:30 - early. We sat outside the admission ward until they let us in. This was probably the worst bit! Once we were allowed in, we sat in the waiting area until my name was called and I said goodbye to my daughter. On the ward, I had everything checked and answered a lot of questions. OS and his registrar came along, followed by the anaesthetist. I agreed to have spinal plus sedation - started to feel a bit in control. I was adamant that I didn't want to hear anything and he said I would forget anything I did hear. I was then told that I was third on the list and it might be 2pm. That made me a bit nervous and I said so. A nurse came and gave me some temazepam and I slept for a couple of hours - it was then time to go. I was put into a holding area and very quickly wheeled into the anaesthetic room. Surreal moment when I realised that one of the anaesthetists is married to someone I work with. They put the spinal in, lots of pleasantries were exchanged and then I don't really remember anything else. Actually, that's not strictly true - I do seem to remember being half - awake at times and thinking "Oh yes, I'm having my hip done". It didn't bother me at all - weird! I seemed to wake up as the operation finished, and the OS put his head round the curtain and told me it had gone really well, although it was a horrible hip!

I only spent about an hour in recovery and then was back on the ward to be greeted by my husband. I felt euphoric that it was over. The oramorph kept the pain at bay during the night, but I felt a bit nauseous in the morning - anti-sickness drugs did the trick. I didn't get up on Wednesday, as it was finished late, but I sat in the chair yesterday and then went for an x-Ray. I was up and down to the toilet all evening and night - peeing for England! The only bad thing that happened was yesterday evening. I went to the toilet and the came back to a nurse wanting to take my bp. I was in a bit of pain so asked if we could wait. I suffer terribly from white -coat syndrome, so it shot up and everybody panicked! They left me to it and then another nurse came and took it again, and it was fine. However, I got into a bit of a panic about it myself this morning, so of course it shot up again. The nurse rang a doctor and they did an ecg. It was fine. The doctor who came to see me said she suffers from white coat syndrome as well, so was very reassuring. I have just had it taken again and it was fine. I've been up and walked down the corridor with a frame - crutches will come later today.

I cannot stress how much this surgery has been better than I anticipated. The OS Registrar came to see me yesterday and confirmed that everything had gone really well. He said it was technically a bit difficult, as the joint was so bad, but that my OS is so skilled and experienced that it was no trouble to him. He said how happy I would be with my new hip and talked about all the things I would be able to do, and how different my future is going to be. I believe him, and will do everything I can to get on with this recovery. I think I will be going home on Sunday as I need to be discharged by OT and they don't work on Saturdays. May have a nap now, or perhaps another trip to the toilet. Exciting stuff!
 
"Oh yes, I'm having my hip done". It didn't bother me at all - weird!

Oh that is so totally weird!! I love it!

peeing for England!

:heehee::rotfl::heehee:

I have just had it taken again and it was fine. I've been up and walked down the corridor with a frame - crutches will come later today.

you are doing SO WELL!

He said it was technically a bit difficult, as the joint was so bad, but that my OS is so skilled and experienced that it was no trouble to him.

Oh did that make you swoon? I would have felt so happy about that!

Thank you SO much for sharing the detail! that is awesome to hear!
 
:hi:@BizzyLizzy - :goodpost: :wowspring:

Great update and glad to hear you're doing well. The BP thing must be very common - mine is generally on the low side but manages to spike in hospital too. The peeing business is because they load us up with fluids via the IV drip - but just try and look on the loo trips as exercise!

Well you're through it now - and the rest is about following the BS mantras and keeping in touch with your buddies who will advise and encourage you through your recovery. :friends:

Remember to languish in being the patient and have everyone run around for you (quite legitimately) :console2:

Wonderful news and SO pleased that the horrible hip is now a thing of the past - :yahoo:
 
@BizzyLizzy you sound like you're coming along beautifully!!!

Wonderful news! Wishing you continued success on your recovery!
 
I'm so glad that things are going so well! I knew you'd ace this surgery. :yes!: Now let the healing begin.

He said it was technically a bit difficult, as the joint was so bad, but that my OS is so skilled and experienced that it was no trouble to him.
I was told the same thing. Tricky, but nothing he couldn't easily handle.
 
Thought it might be time for another update and I just remembered something funny that happened, that I forgot to put in my previous post.
Update first - I got onto crutches yesterday and it was OK. I get to do it again today and then maybe stairs. Once I've done stairs I'm good to go home. I actually don't feel too confident about that yet - would be happy to stay here until Monday if that's how it works out. I'm not sleeping too badly - I think it's probably the drugs! I do find it hard to sleep on my back, so I think I might struggle more when I'm off the morphine. It looks like that will stop today and I'll go onto codeine. I haven't had any morphine today - just paracetamol, and I'm quite comfortable. I've been up and about walking with the frame and managing fine. had an all over wash by myself this morning which felt good.
Now the funny thing which actually happened on the way the the hospital on Wednesday. We were coming over our lovely Tyne bridge, which for those who don't know is rather an iconic image in this part of the world.it was a lovely day, not much traffic and we suddenly saw a man running, carrying a fridge! He is well known here and runs (with his fridge) in lots of events. However, so funny to see him on the morning of my surgery! Over the past months, I have envied people doing all sorts of sport, and also just ordinary things, but this is definitely not something I will be taking up :rotfl:. It did feel like some good kind of omen though!
 
All good news @BizzyLizzy - you may surprise yourself (haven't you already?!) We all feel a little nervous about coping away from hospital where everything is thought out and managed for us. When you're home get some assistance and experiment with pillows. I had a pile behind me and slept propped up. If I had leg or back pain I rolled up a towel and placed it under my knee, which realigned me. It's just a question of trying out what suits you best. Make sure you have book, iPad, TV remote etc by you if you're not sleeping too well. If that happened I just gave up and distracted myself with other things and then slipped in a couple of naps on my bed while I elevated (with ice) during the day. When going up and down stairs have hubby behind (going up) and in front (going down) it will give you more confidence. You will feel stiff at first but it gets better in time.

I'd leave lugging the fridge around for a week at least ..... LOL
 
I've seen the physio this afternoon and I'm now on crutches - Zimmer frame has been taken away. I get to try stairs tomorrow and then I can go home! You're right @Miss Muffet, I really have surprised myself, although it's been a bit of a surprising experience! Not really what I expected at all. Even though I read so much and tried to prepare so well, I still had a lingering feeling that something might go wrong, almost an expectation. Up to now, it has all been so good and I'm feeling more confident that it will continue like this.

Doctor has just been round and confirmed that physios are pleased with me and I only have to do the stairs now. Only issue is that I need to be discharged by occupational therapy and they may not be in tomorrow (there doesn't seem to be a rule) as it's Sunday :hairpulling:. I will just have to be patient.
 
@BizzyLizzy so sorry you seem to be stuck in hospital "red tape"! Can't PT discharge you? Not fair to make you wait due to their lack of staff. I would start rattling cages if I were you!
 
@Jaycey thanks for the advice. I was wondering if I should do that. One of the nurses actually said that as my wound is ok and I'm on crutches, as long as I can do the stairs tomorrow, she think I should ask PT to discharge me. I won't be going home alone as my husband will be there. Now I've had some input from you, cages will definitely be rattled tomorrow!
 
Ha ha @BizzyLizzy - so now they've confiscated your Zimmer there's no looking back!
Continue to be surprised. It is a big Op but I still find it hard to believe I've got a couple of spare bits in my leg that I'm totally unaware of. But don't get deflated if you find one day you feel you're making big progress then the next you feel you're not moving forward quite so fast. That's the nature of the beast. But be asssured you're only the same as the rest of this great gang.
 
Doctor has just been round and confirmed that physios are pleased with me and I only have to do the stairs now. Only issue is that I need to be discharged by occupational therapy and they may not be in tomorrow (there doesn't seem to be a rule) as it's Sunday :hairpulling:. I will just have to be patient.

Oh, I know how frustrating this can be! Hubby has had a few surgeries (he is accident prone - falling off motorbikes, falling off roofs that sort of thing) and every time it seems to be around the weekends that we have to have him discharged and it is a battle to get out the door!

It is great that you feel ready and raring to go! I hope you get out soon and get back to your comfy home.
 
@JMACCA your posts always make me feel better! OT are on their way now, so I might get lucky! I just can't wait to get home. My husband says the garden has really grown while I've been in here - weather has been good for a change. I
planted out lots of pots a couple of weeks ago and I really want to see them. Just been sitting here looking at pictures of my lovely cat. She's very timid (rescue cat) and only really likes me, so I think she's been missing me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom