Guest viewing is limited

THR Bizzy Lizzy on the other side

planted out lots of pots a couple of weeks ago and I really want to see them

Oh they would be so lovely to see! I am not one for cut flowers but I do love seeing them in the garden! Could you do much gardening before your surgery?

My husband is not a green thumb and I haven't been able to garden for the last 6 months - at least the succulents are doing well! :heehee:

I hope you have had success getting to go home and I hope when you read this you are curling up with your lovely cat in bed!
 
All done and ready for doctor to do final discharge and give me sick note for work. So excited! Will be curled up in comfortable garden chair with little cat in no time! Trying to upload a photo but not managing - will try again later
 
So much sleeping! Got home about 2:30 yesterday - managed to have a cup of tea in the garden, then off to bed :sleeep::sleeep:. Didn't wake up until 6pm. Came downstairs for something to eat - bit of tv and then had a wash and back to bed at 9. I probably need to engage with the bath board contraption today and try for a shower, but dreading (husband) taking off and putting on TEDS! He is being lovely at the moment, but I can see the time when we may both get a bit fractious starting to loom.:blackcloud:He doesn't like being told what to do and has appointed himself as manager of the recovery project! Our daughter is currently away for a few days on holiday, but she made me a collage of photos she's taken over the years of various places we've been. All places we can go again with ease once I have recovered. She put the collage on the wall next to my chair and hung fairy lights around it - she is such a sweetie! On the other hand, plans for nice cuddle time with the cat have come to nothing. She is terrified of the crutches (as is the dog) so I'm being given a very wide berth - maybe for the best!

I think today will be a slow one. Husband is semi-retired but has a part time job which starts early, so he's off now and will be back about 10:30. I am not allowed to go downstairs until he returns! I may get up and sit in my chair upstairs or may have a little more :sleep: - the codeine seems to do that to me. Speaking of the codeine, some very good news- I was constipated in hospital, but decided to deal with it when I got home. I was given some medication and planned to take it last night. However, things happened all on their own, before I had to, so something else ticked off the list:yes!:.

I'm not really enjoying sleeping on my back, but managing to do it, with the help of an assortment of cushions and pillows. One thing I am liking is getting out of bed! Even with crutches and a bit of post-operative pain it's a much better experience than the lurching agony I used to have pre op. Same with getting out of a chair. So happy that's over - actually can't believe it. I think it might be time to have another little nap, and then up and icing. This is such an exciting life!
 
So much sleeping! Got home about 2:30 yesterday - managed to have a cup of tea in the garden, then off to bed :sleeep::sleeep:. Didn't wake up until 6pm. Came downstairs for something to eat - bit of tv and then had a wash and back to bed at 9. I probably need to engage with the bath board contraption today and try for a shower, but dreading (husband) taking off and putting on TEDS! He is being lovely at the moment, but I can see the time when we may both get a bit fractious starting to loom.:blackcloud:He doesn't like being told what to do and has appointed himself as manager of the recovery project!

Ha yes!!! I think we have reached that stage in my house...when I ask for anything I can almost hear the sigh!! I keep telling him just think when you need something done :)


Our daughter is currently away for a few days on holiday, but she made me a collage of photos she's taken over the years of various places we've been. All places we can go again with ease once I have recovered. She put the collage on the wall next to my chair and hung fairy lights around it - she is such a sweetie! On the other hand, plans for nice cuddle time with the cat have come to nothing. She is terrified of the crutches (as is the dog) so I'm being given a very wide berth - maybe for the best!

My Westie just looks at me with contempt!! I think she thinks I've got top spot in the house at the moment, which doesn't please her. So funny!!

I think today will be a slow one. Husband is semi-retired but has a part time job which starts early, so he's off now and will be back about 10:30. I am not allowed to go downstairs until he returns! I may get up and sit in my chair upstairs or may have a little more :sleep: - the codeine seems to do that to me. Speaking of the codeine, some very good news- I was constipated in hospital, but decided to deal with it when I got home. I was given some medication and planned to take it last night. However, things happened all on their own, before I had to, so something else ticked off the list:yes!:.

I'm not really enjoying sleeping on my back, but managing to do it, with the help of an assortment of cushions and pillows. One thing I am liking is getting out of bed! Even with crutches and a bit of post-operative pain it's a much better experience than the lurching agony I used to have pre op. Same with getting out of a chair. So happy that's over - actually can't believe it. I think it might be time to have another little nap, and then up and icing. This is such an exciting life!

Well done for sleeping in your own bed. I'm not there yet as I find it so uncomfortable. I'm loving my recliner at the moment. I'm not sleeping so great but managing to catch up here and there. I'm inching towards three weeks post op, so I'm going to try my bed again soon. On a brighter note my leg is improving a little and I'm hoping I get full ownership of it again soon!! What a trauma the log feeling has been :)
Have a great day and keep smiling, you're doing great!!!



Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
He doesn't like being told what to do and has appointed himself as manager of the recovery project!

BAHHAAA! Yup I hear ya! The worst thing is my hubby has broken both of his legs so he is now the 'expert' and the project manager of recovery! :oyvey:But, I am saying this without the experience of being on the 'other side' of all of this I think I will be glad for his help and valuing the time that I get alone! hehehehe :heehee:

She put the collage on the wall next to my chair and hung fairy lights around it - she is such a sweetie!

That. is. so. sweet!!! How absolutely gorgeous!! You are one lucky mum :yes:
 
@BizzyLizzy - Ah how wonderful that you're managing so much sleep. The body dictates! The fractious patch seems to be part of the process (my recovery thread references discord and divorce papers). It's a mixture of your frustration about wanting to do things yourself and not having them done exactly as you would want and when you want - and the carer sometimes assuming they know what's best. All with the best intentions of course, if things get awkward just have a sit down chat and understand each other's points of view - except you need to be able to explain YOUR needs if they're not being answered. The TEDs thing will become a routine and is a nuisance I agree. It wasn't quite the romantic picture painted by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who decided his Royal duty was it put on her silk stockings each morning (on her not him you understand). But we often ended up laughing at the indignity of it all! Your darling daughter is very thoughtful. How very sweet. I sense you are settling into life at home and you will soon establish a routine. And yes, the sheer joy of that preOp grating pain is now a thing of the past. Keep a brief diary of progress and you'll be able to look back and see how, despite feeling you're not getting on as fast as you would like, you actually are moving forward in more ways than one.
 
I haven't been on here much over the last few days - my recovery seems to be plodding along in a fairly uneventful manner. I'm still sleeping quite a lot and walking a little further every day. I am so grateful to my lovely husband and daughter for their continued support and interest in the process, which must be getting a bit tedious for them now! I had a bit of a weepy, grumpy time in the middle of the week. I felt so tired and nauseous, in part, I think due to the high doses of codeine I was taking. I was scared to cut down, as my pain has been minimal. Anyway, my brilliant daughter suggested substituting one dose per day with co-codamol, which as a mixture of paracetamol and codeine. I'm taking paracetamol anyway and it just meant that I was getting the same dose of that, with less codeine. I took co-codamol pre-op and I was ok with it then, so I thought I would give it a try. It worked like a dream! Coupled with some wise words from @Miss Muffet and a few stern words with myself, I seemed to get back on track. Had a nice day today - husband took me to the library this morning for my first trip out. I also sat at the kitchen table and made a big salad. Really enjoyed doing this - everything was brought to me, washed and ready to chop and, of course I couldn't pick anything up from the floor!

I haven't managed a proper shower yet - tried (and failed!) with shower board, but I'm becoming very good at the all over wash at the bathroom sink and have managed to wash my hair. I think I gave my husband a shock as I came out of the bathroom, dressing gown undone as I couldn't manage to do it up and manoeuvre the crutches at the same time. There was I, half-undressed, toes poking out of very unflattering TEDS, quite frankly grubby dressing over my hip and, of course, the crutches. I told him that he is very lucky, it's a new craze which is all over the Internet - it's called "hip replacement porn" and I am at the forefront! Not sure he was convinced, but it made him laugh!
 
Oh, you sound just great! So happy for you! With your positive attitude, you're going to get through this recovery really well. I found humor to be so helpful at times. After awhile the boredom kind of got to me, so even a drive in the car to the local hardware store was exciting. You go girl! :-)
 
These small steps of progress feel like huge leaps and actually force us to focus on real life again, by that I mean what's actually important and how much we can relish again the joy of painfree movement. Great news that experimenting with the meds seems to be working and that you're managing things like washing and hair - all of which give us a feeling that we're nibbling our way back towards sweet independence!
Great stuff @BizzyLizzy - you're on track :yahoo:
And as for hip replacement porn - well :rotfl:
 
I'm just jumping in quickly here with a question about pain meds. I managed to move from the 30mg codeine plus 1000mg paracetamol every 6 hours, to 2 x co-codamol approximately 3 or 4 times per day. These times tend to be when I wake up (around 8am), after lunch, before bed and then in the night if I feel the need (didn't, last night). I obviously I never take them less than 4 hours apart.

Anyway, I'm only 12 days out, but feeling zero pain most of the time. Should I be thinking about cutting down on the meds? If so, anyone got any ideas of a sensible schedule? I'm still pretty tired and resting/sleeping often and I don't want to disturb this pattern by inadvertently getting behind the pain, if it's the meds controlling it so well.
 
I'm only 12 days out, but feeling zero pain most of the time. Should I be thinking about cutting down on the meds?
Short answer - NO! At only 12 days out you are still in healing mode.

Stick with the mantras for now. When you start forgetting a dose of your meds that's the sign that you are weaning off them. Sounds like your pain is well managed. Keep up with your meds so that you can continue to increase your mobility.
 
Thanks @Jaycey for your prompt reply. That's what I thought, but just really wanted to make sure. To be honest, this recovery is so much easier than I imagined - don't want to do anything to knock it off course!
 
@Cynthia777 - I had the posterior approach - seems to be the most common, in the UK. I have uncemented ceramic implants. I must admit I didn't worry too much about the technicalities - the fact that they were going to cut a hole in my leg and saw off the top of the bone was enough for me! I'm very squeamish - tried to watch a video of the procedure afterwards, but just couldn't do it. Just about managed to watch an animation, because I did want to be a bit informed, but I really am a total wimp!
 
@Zelda I am sure that's what will happen with me. Unfortunately, I am such a worrier, I just want to make sure i do everything "by the book" and don't jinx my recovery. Having said that, I have surprised myself with how calm I ended up by the end of this process - I though I would be a basket case on my day of admission to hospital, and throughout my stay! I really think that it was all the support and good information on here which helped me to put it all in perspective. Thank you Bonesmart and all the lovely people here. :thumb:
 
I'm with you, I know I had the anterior approach, no metal other than titanium (I'm allergic to many metals) and that it's uncemented. To this day I won't watch a video of the actual surgery. :yikes:

I'm so happy you're doing so well! I, too, found the surgery and recovery to be much easier than I ever anticipated (especially with my first replacement). :-)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom