TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
@LaxMom Thanks so much for the info on the TENS unit. Were instructions on how to use fairly easy to follow? Thanks for the Amazon link. I'm definitely going to follow up. By the way, great nail polish...very festive! :)
 
@sandbar525 - I thought the directions were pretty easy, especially after seeing @hbacres 's picture. There are 2 probes, I used them both. There are 2 different shaped pads. I put the small ones on top and the big ones on the bottom since the bottom inner knee is where it hurts. The probes and pads should run diagonally. From there, I just slowly followed the directions. There are 6 different modes to use. I had no idea which was best, so I tried them all and settled on the 4 th one. I can ask PT tomorrow what she thinks. Not sure it matters. You need to take some care with putting everything away, but again, there are instructions. Mine was set for 20 minutes and that is how long I did. It feels very good. I do think I have had less swelling and pain in my knee. Not sure how much is attributed to the TENS or just the normal course of things. But either way, I will take it!

I think I am ready to stop my dilaudin altogether and just rely on the tramadol and Tylenol. I know you are already there. How often and how much tramadol do you take?

Glad you like the pedi polish! I thought I would take the full shot of my leg, pedi and all for a joke. I have had so many issues with my lower extremities - what with rheumatoid and then osteoarthritis is both knees and one hip, and then shattering my right talus (ankle) in 2008. I figured, my legs deserve a treat after all they have been through. And then, at some point, it became a necessity as I could no longer reach my feet to clip my nails! I got that pedi right before my hip operation and had hoped to get another one right before the knee. That did not happen though. My spa is in a very old building and the pedicures take place on the second floor. The stairs are very narrow and steep. I just did not think I was up to it! I am dying for another pedi as my nails are really growing out and it has been 8-9 weeks. But, I would need to go elsewhere and I think you need to trust the place that does pedis to be clean and good - especially after 2 joint replacements! I do not want to get an infection, that is for sure!!!
 
Hi @LaxMom Thanks for the full explanation of the TENS. I've gone ahead and ordered one from Amazon and it should be here by Friday. Looking forward to maybe having it help with the swelling...it couldn't hurt!:) I'll let you know when it arrives but in the meantim, nice to have something to look forward to.

Good thinking regarding pedicure and chance of infection. I feel the same way. I'm happy with the salon where I go but would have about 10 stairs to navigate to lower level after street parking. It will be a while before that happens but better to wait. I'll save it for a treat after another milestone...maybe a great 6 week checkup! :)
 
And, @sandbar525 let' not forget negotiating flip flops with slippery feet - in the snow! I wish I could get a home pedicure!

I hope you like the TENS unit!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @LaxMom. You are moving along. So happy for you. The TENS machine is great. I used one when I had my knee surgery years ago. I had arthroscopic nothing close to yours. Great to helpmate muscles. I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving. I had a great time with family. It was so much fun. My mom and sister did most of the work. I am so grateful for them. I did nap during the weekend. Amazing how tired I would get. Stamina not quite up to speed yet. I can see why the doctor put me off for so long. Your knee looks great too and I loved the two week accomplishment list. Great job. So happy for you. Now get some rest.
 
Hi @xtina16405 ! So great to hear from my ole hippie twin. I love your new avatar, all set for the holidays! I guess I need to turn my Japanese maple avatar into the snow covered version, which it is!

It is good to hear you like the TENS. I used it for the last 2 days and it does seem to help with the pain. This has been a far different journey for me. Still on narcotics, still experiencing pain. But I try to keep my lists to remind myself that there has been progress and I am getting better. I was spoiled by my hip experience. I need to pop over to your thread. Last I read, you were walking a great deal. So happy for you too! My hip continues to do great. I even forget sometimes thst it was replaced, it feels that good cannot wait to say those words about my knee! Hugs!!!
 
@sandbar525 , there is a great article posted by @Josephine on using a TENS unit. Here it is: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tens-machines-for-pain-management.9770/

I figured it is best to go with the advice of the experts rather than me. After reading this, I did adjust how I was using the machine and now use the final mode that combines all modes, and I up the time to 30 minutes. I typically using it 3-4 times per day.

I look forward to seeing what you think once you get yours! Also, PT is coming today. I am going to have her hook me up before she leaves. If she places anything differently, I will snap another picture, but I think I have it right in the last picture. Looking at that picture of my leg, pedi and all, makes me realize how much my swelling has gone down. Another small victory. Tomorrow is our 3 week knee birthday!!! Hugs!
 
@LaxMom I was really interested reading about your using the TENS machine and that it's helping. I have bought one but my husband was a bit worried when he read the booklet which said " not to be used with implants" .So it's still in its box. I'm sure it would be ok . I think it referred to pacemakers specifically and a few people seem to be using them on here with goodresults. Any information/advice/ experience you have to pass on, would be helpful.
Hope you are having a good day.
 
@LaxMom PLEASE don't tag me in the course of conversation. Check out the green in my signature
 
@SuperSnapper take a look at the link on TENS from the bonesmart forum that I included. I am thinking they meant pacemakers. I got one because I was reading that others were using them or getting the treatment at outpatient PT.

I know that when I shattered my ankle and had plates and screws put in, PT would use it in me. I would think plates and screws are implants!

Good luck. :)
 
Oops, my bad for tagging Josephine but good to get the answer on implants.
 
I got one because I was reading that others were using them or getting the treatment at outpatient PT.
You folks are lucky! I was able to use a TENS unit a few times at the PT facility---never at home---it did help out when I used it, but I never was able to get one home with me, no matter how hard I schemed...
 
@referee54 , I had insurance pay for one way back when I was in my 30s because I had TMJ due to a disintegrated jaw bone, thanks to my rheumatoid arthritis. Eventually had reconstructive surgery to rebuilt my jaw. At the time, the unit was extremely expensive. But now, there are tons of them available on Amazon. The one I got was around $50 and it does much more than the one I had all those many years ago. Technology advancement never ceases to amaze me!

BTW, love that you are from the Buckeye state. I went to graduate school at Case Western Reserve. My son, who is a senior in HS, is hoping to be accepted by Ohio State Fisher School of Business - his first choice. Love the people in the great state of Ohio - you are a very friendly lot!
 
@LaxMom ---thank you very much!!! Since you are a graduate of the CWRU, you must know how hard it is to get around Universality Circle!

I actually am retired now, but I work for a wonderful produce farm, and I drive a truck to UH---we have an open-air market on Adelbert in the courtyard there! I also use to referee college basketball games there---that was like a"home game" to me!

I also did some of my graduate work at OSU---my father, grandfather and aunt went there---both my uncle and my cousin marched in TBDBITL.

Here is hoping that your son is a student next year at OSU---Columbus is an amazing city and is a great place to live.
 
Actually, @referee54 when I was at CWRU, I was an impoverished student with no car so had no experience driving around the circle. I lived at the Mount Sinai nursing student dorm while getting a masters in Nutrition and doing a dietetic internship at Mt Sinai. I did a lot of walking at the time. Not to mention begging for food! LOL!

I am delighted that I actually know what TBDBITL stands for! My son is an athlete, captain and goalie of his lacrosse team, won the state championship last year. He also has played football and indoor track. Not much experience with music in this house but since we became interested in OSU, I have been watching all the band YouTube videos and I have to agree, they truly are TBDBITL! Their choreography is mind boggling! We are also watching all the OSU football games on TV and cheering for them. They certainly had their share of player bad news this week! My heart goes out to the team.
 
I hope that, while you were there, that you made some treks up to Little Italy!

Walking around CWRU is much is easier than driving around it---and I normally get lost on the east side of Cleveland! All of the roads seem to go around in circles---not the north/south, east/west like on the west side!

Bot my uncle (a percussionist) and my cousin (a trumpeter) were able to live out their dreams and march in the Rose Bowl parade when the Buckeyes played in the game.

Sadly, the OSU QB is out for the year, and then another player was found to have committed suicide---it has been a very bittersweet weekend. A victory over that "school up north" was nice, but two pieces of bad news.

Has your son visited the campus? It is amazing.
 
My son and husband took quite a few trips this fall. They went to OSU, Miami in Oxford, Indiana Bloomington, and Penn State. (my son is an independent sort and wants to get away!) They both fell in love with OSU, and my husband has an MBA from Michigan, so that is saying something! And Rose Bowl - WOW!!!

And yes, plenty of trips to Little Italy! I also splurged and got season tickets to the symphony - student rate. So even though I was impoverished, I did get a chance to enjoy what was out there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom