Bilateral PKR Bilateral partial recovery

Setting it up in front of a window with a great view is really valuable. Mine is in the basement and I have some small windows that let me look out on the backyard at about the same elevation as a groundhog :) .
 
Setting it up in front of a window with a great view is really valuable. Mine is in the basement and I have some small windows that let me look out on the backyard at about the same elevation as a groundhog :) .
that’s brilliant!

Yes - I feel lucky to have a view of the sea as I cycle
 
Today is 3 weeks exactly since surgery. I’m pleasantly surprised in my progress.

1 I can walk around the house, up and down stairs with no support, no problem
2 the speed at which I walk has increased significantly over the last two weeks and is approaching what I was doing before surgery
3 I can now do some leg extensions without too much pain
4 I can ride a stationary bike without pain at the same seat level as before the surgery
5 I’m actually getting deep sleep at last

Things I still need to work on:

1 walking downhill - this still hurts a lot
2 rom …. Although this feels like it’s improving slowly, I need 130 minimum to surf again
3 strength … my legs are still super weak.
 
Great progress! Slowly but surely you'll get there.
Thanks for sharing your recovery with us, I hope you have a good week!
@penliniaupoenus
 
Your milestones are excellent at three weeks!!!!
 
Bit of an overcast day …. But I managed a 2 mile circular walk to the beach. Met a friend who’d just been for a surf and said there were dolphins with him…. So jealous!

IMG_4019.jpeg
 
Reality check

Today I though I'd try some real outdoor cycling. I thought I'd be able to complete a 3 mile undulating but not very hilly circuit. How wrong I was. Cycling on the complete flat was ok but the moment it started getting even a bit hilly, my knees just couldn't take the strain. Ended up just cycling 250 metres! Shocker! I'll try again in a weeks' time and report back.
 
Yes, it feels so easy when you are just spinning the pedals. But the minute you add some tension, the knees complain!

You are still early days and those knees are still in healing mode. You'll get there. You give it a little more time
 
Yes, it feels so easy when you are just spinning the pedals. But the minute you add some tension, the knees complain!

You are still early days and those knees are still in healing mode. You'll get there. You give it a little more time
You’re right. I didn’t expect such a difference. It was also my mountain bike that I’d previously set up with a very low seat height…so I think this was partly the problem.

It takes a lot of time to get strength back in your legs….this aspect of recovery has surprised me
 
I’d previously set up with a very low seat height…so I think this was partly the problem.
Yes! Set the seat up higher and keep it that way for a few rides, then try lowering it one notch at a time. I think you'll find that helps.
 
Re time it takes to build back strength.... Oh heck yeah!!!! My ten month old knee is all "heck yeah!" and my five month old knee is "are you crazy woman?!" :heehee:
 
Re time it takes to build back strength.... Oh heck yeah!!!! My ten month old knee is all "heck yeah!" and my five month old knee is "are you crazy woman?!" :heehee:
Good to know that your 10 month knee is up for it!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hopefully your new pillow continues to help with your sleep.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
@penliniaupoenus
 
I’d previously set up with a very low seat height…so I think this was partly the problem.
Yes! Set the seat up higher and keep it that way for a few rides, then try lowering it one notch at a time. I think you'll find that helps.
Good idea. I’m going to leave it for a week then give it a go again, with higher seat and maybe totally flat route
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom